Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234 LastLast

Thread: Boat Auction, attention Brits

Default Re: Boat Auction, attention Brits

Jeff, I emailed the auctioneers to see whether they'd ship items such as framed artwork and model boats. I haven't had a reply yet but I'll let you know what they say.

Actual shipping shouldn't be that much for a skiff but all the rigamarole in organising it would be expensive if you weren't over there.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    I wonder what it would cost to ship say, the Thames skiff, the Jolly Boat, and one of the 14's………….
    Easy; they will all fit into a forty foot ISO container - just check round for a freight rate from forwarders at your end but I'd think you will have change from two thousand dollars.
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

In post #3 I mentioned two six metres that were being auctioned. Come to find out 'St. Francis VI' sold in a private sale to well known metre boat sailor Andy Ash-Vie. Andy is talking about doing a 'gentle' conversion to a cruising six metre, though still being able to sail classics events.

'VI' is one of those 'evolution' boats (early moderns) that can't really compete with the boats with wings and long rudders, but there are still a goodly number of them racing.

Mickey Lake
    'A disciple of the Norse god of aesthetically pleasing boats, Johan Anker'

$1800 for a 20 foot container to Houston (I was too lazy to look up NOLA). Commensurately quite a bit less for a 40 ft container. So you could fill half of it with cans of spotted dick and make a profit. https://www.shipit.co.uk/container_s...edules/usa.htm

I'm being facetious because ACB can give you real figures, when it's daytime in civilization.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Craig-Bennett View Post
    Well, I think that they build very nice boats! A shame if they donated this one - quite a number of the exhibits were donations. Different if they got paid, of course!

I think she will sell for a good price.
    Highly unlikely that they donated the boat!
    Ben Fuller
    Ran Tan, Liten Kuhling, Tipsy, Tippy, Josef W., Merry Mouth, Imp, Macavity, Look Far, Flash and a quiver of other 'yaks.
    "Bound fast is boatless man."

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Fuller View Post
    Highly unlikely that they donated the boat!
    Now 600, below reserve and likely to escalate fast in the closing minutes!

21 hours to go...

Tearing one's eyes away from the lovely Shew and Burnham Whitehall and the Fox Fourteens - the Bugatti Type 35s of sailing - there is a very interesting little boat buried under a pile of sails and covers at Lowestoft - the Point Three Rater "Flying Cloud", rebuilt by David Leather...

This little boat really is from the dawn of sailing as we know it - built at Oxford around 1880 to the Length and Sail Area Rule, Una rigged with a lugsail... she might be the oldest racing dinghy in the world...

The Point Three Raters were built to this:

length in feet x sail area in square feet x 0.3 = rating. (eg 13ft x 140sq ft or 14ft x 125 sq ft) 6,000

The National Small Craft Register have got this one right:

http://87.106.22.33/iframe/nsbr.php?...=&boat_id=2710
    Last edited by Andrew Craig-Bennett; 07-25-2017 at 10:55 AM.
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

Thank you for these posts, Andrew.

Well, gosh, the excitement builds with an hour to go...

The Shew and Burnham Whitehall is heading for a price that would not disappoint her builders, and rightly so...

To my relief the bids I had left on various boats to save them from the bonfire have been overtopped so I don't need to worry - apart from Flying Cloud where I am still the leading bidder but a friend who runs a boatyard in Maldon has declared his interest in (and, importantly for this boat, his knowledge of) her, so I may soon be out of that one too. Hope so, as I need an 1890's 0.3 rater like a hole in the head...

So I'm down to a set of cotton sails for the family Firefly and a set of 1960's Ratseys for a friend's I14, which he rebuilt to a concours state from a wreck, and competes in (what they are doing there is a mystery, as they have his boat's sail number on them!).

Edited to add - the Whitehall went for 1,600.
    Last edited by Andrew Craig-Bennett; 07-26-2017 at 07:58 AM.
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

Looks like there is little headed for the burn pile, I was concerned about the non European boat types but these seem to at least be earning their very low reserved bids.
    Ben Fuller
    Ran Tan, Liten Kuhling, Tipsy, Tippy, Josef W., Merry Mouth, Imp, Macavity, Look Far, Flash and a quiver of other 'yaks.

Easy; they will all fit into a forty foot ISO container - just check round for a freight rate from forwarders at your end but I'd think you will have change from two thousand dollars.
    That is is not undoable……..

WhooEEE!

I just bought the Uffa Fox International Fourteen GALATEA, K478, with mast boom foils and two sets of sails for 300!

A mistake in the catalogue description, but every Vintage Fourteen enthusiast in the country must have been looking... still, with 29 Fourteens in the auction, including many POW winners maybe demand was glutted...

She may have galloping rot and hole in the bottom of course, but at that price...
    Last edited by Andrew Craig-Bennett; 07-26-2017 at 09:05 AM.
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

Congratulations Andrew, that's a nice purchase. I bottled out on buying anything. The Scaffie I was interested in sold for 350 which is an absolute steal, but I decided, with some persuasion from the boss, that I have enough boats already
    Somewhere between Murder and Suicide, there is a place called Merseyside.

Congratulations, Andrew. So what happens to these boats now? A renewed interest in classics racing? I was part of a group that wanted to get a 'classics' Finn fleet going in North America but it never took off.

Mickey Lake
    'A disciple of the Norse god of aesthetically pleasing boats, Johan Anker'

Mickey, we actually have a classics racing association and they run a modest "circuit" of handicap racing:

http://www.cvrda.org/category/association/

There was for a while a Vintage Fourteen fleet at Upper Thames Sailing Club but it dispersed.

I can get her on the Firefly combi trailer, so I shall have to potter off to Eyemouth, and whilst I am there I am commissioned to pick up a suit of sails for K850 restored and owned by my friend Simon M and the lugsail for "Flying Cloud" which has gone to a good home in Maldon.

First operation will be a good upper and lower cover and a careful inspection and if all is well a strip and re-varnish as I doubt if the varnish on her is doing much good.

Collars still make Vintage Fourteen masts, by the way...
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

Good score, Andrew. You took my advice, I see.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Ledger View Post
    Good score, Andrew. You took my advice, I see.
    Yes. I did.

Found this on Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/RacingAndRi...6046702432231/
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

Andrew, what's that canoe in post 81, pic 2 ...
    "Smooth seas do not make skillful sailors". African Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by Songololo View Post
    Andrew, what's that canoe in post 81, pic 2 ...
    There were several canoes in the collection. The two sailing canoes - the 1947 Fox IC "Merdeka" and the 1911 Linton Hope RCC "B" class "Aquamarine" got most of my interest, but there were a number of Rob Roy types.

I believe she may be this one:

In the catalogue as "Description:

Turks Cruising Canoe, This Baden Powell Nautilus type cruising canoe was built of Honduras mahogany on oak frames by R J Turk of Kingsdon Ex Beale Park, Build place: Kingston, Build date: c1890, c/w (damaged) spars and remains of mainsail. No mizzen, NSBR Ref: 2694

described in the National Small Boat Register as

Removed from Beale park Dec 16 This Baden Powell Nautilus type cruising canoe was built of Honduras mahogany on oak frames by R J Turk of Kingsdon. Ex Lowestoft store. Originaly listed as DG 154 Rob Roy Sailing Canoe. (Image as such by LKB Nov 2000.) Appears to have been renamed when displayed at R&RBM

4 In good condition with the exception of the original sail. Will be of interest to those interested in Turks and the Thames. GH 29/2/17
    Significance

She was Lot 323 nd she sold for a very healthy 585.00
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

Congratulations on acquiring a vintage 14.Coincidentally,I knew two former owners of K850.

Lot 325 was a very rare American sailing canoe. Built by Everson, who was New York city's premier whitehall boat builder; he was persuaded to be the builder for the New York Canoe Club ( they being founded in 1870). I know of only 3 of his boats that have survived, a whitehall and a couple of canoes, both earlier than 325, but not in as nice condition. It sold well ( by this auction's standard) I believe.
    Ben Fuller

Lot 325 was a very rare American sailing canoe. Built by Everson, who was New York city's premier whitehall boat builder; he was persuaded to be the builder for the New York Canoe Club ( they being founded in 1870). I know of only 3 of his boats that have survived, a whitehall and a couple of canoes, both earlier than 325, but not in as nice condition. It sold well ( by this auction's standard) I believe.

Listed by the National Small Boat Register as "5" (major historical importance) and is number 2146 in their online database. Was loaned to a French museum and restored by them, hence the condition.
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

Listed by the National Small Boat Register as "5" (major historical importance) and is number 2146 in their online database. Was loaned to a French museum and restored by them, hence the condition.
    Thanks for the pic. I checked it on the register and I think one photo showed it with a Radix folding centerboard, something that came along around 1880. The canoe that I found for Mystic has two centerboards one fore and one aft so the cockpit stays clear for sleeping. The Radix boards folded flush. I don't know if similar ones were found in the UK.
    Ben Fuller

Well done Andrew, great to hear of some of the collection going to good homes. What a bloody disgrace of a "museum" I guess there is a back story of the best intentions, grand plans and insufficient funding, but wow, you'd think those running it would have had some sense of responsibility, and at least some appreciation of their limitations.

Thanks for the pic. I checked it on the register and I think one photo showed it with a Radix folding centerboard, something that came along around 1880. The canoe that I found for Mystic has two centerboards one fore and one aft so the cockpit stays clear for sleeping. The Radix boards folded flush. I don't know if similar ones were found in the UK.
    I just did a patent check; board developed in 1884, patented year following so the buyer of the canoe should be able to date it. Don't know if it had its rig but there is plenty of data in W.P. Stephens Canoe and Boatbuilding for Amateurs.
    Ben Fuller

Dixon Kemp portrays all sorts of weird, complicated canoe keels. Including this Radix board which he states was used on both sides of the Pond.

Looks incredibly fragile.
    Last edited by Peerie Maa; 07-26-2017 at 06:29 PM.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

The NSBR photograph...
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Well done Andrew, great to hear of some of the collection going to good homes. What a bloody disgrace of a "museum" I guess there is a back story of the best intentions, grand plans and insufficient funding, but wow, you'd think those running it would have had some sense of responsibility, and at least some appreciation of their limitations.
    From what I can gather, it is a long sad story, culminating in Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs bringing a claim for back taxes against a tax lawyer. But looking on the bright side all these boats were at least kept more or less out of the weather.

For an example of the right way to run a maritime museum, look here:

http://www.hkmaritimemuseum.org/eng/
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

Nice one Andrew, I am a sucker for vertical stems…...

Well it's easy to take potshots at the 'museum' from your keyboard but anyone who actually bothers to inform themselves would know that it would have come to this or much worse a long time ago had a number of individuals not put in a huge amount of effort. The thing really needed proper institutional support to get fully established and such support is hard or impossible to find in any part of todays UK..

The Daughter got herself a 'Sea Chest' and a 'Roomful of Lifejackets' for 15....but i had to work overtime on the text messaging to stop her buying the 50' Dhow!..went for 200..

Isla have you any idea if the Scaffie stayed in Scotland? Had i been around i would certainly have taken that on...Oh well..back to the workshop...

Having been in the museum business for a long time, it is pretty much a matter of dough. I remember visiting the museum when it was in Essex back in the 70s and was pretty much struck by a situation where the collecting ambitions exceeded the financial resources and perhaps more important the potential resources. And boats are really hard. They need lots of space and appeal is limited. Not like cars or airplanes which also need lots of space but have wider appeal.
    Ben Fuller

Having been in the museum business for a long time, it is pretty much a matter of dough. I remember visiting the museum when it was in Essex back in the 70s and was pretty much struck by a situation where the collecting ambitions exceeded the financial resources and perhaps more important the potential resources. And boats are really hard. They need lots of space and appeal is limited. Not like cars or airplanes which also need lots of space but have wider appeal.
    Exeter, not Essex, I think.

I get the impression that what was happening was not running a museum in the usual sense of that word - nobody needs twenty-nine - twenty-nine - International Fourteens.
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

Exeter is correct; I think those 14's were from a different collection. And you are right about the 14's. If I had been doing it I'd have looked for the tech breakthrough boats supplemented by historically significant ones. What is interesting is that using 14's you can get a pretty complete picture of what has happened in rec boat development over a century or so.
    Ben Fuller

Quote Originally Posted by boban saor View Post
    Well it's easy to take potshots at the 'museum' from your keyboard but anyone who actually bothers to inform themselves would know that it would have come to this or much worse a long time ago had a number of individuals not put in a huge amount of effort. The thing really needed proper institutional support to get fully established and such support is hard or impossible to find in any part of todays UK..
    Just so. It was always a private collection. With town and city council run museums strapped for cash and closing because councils themselves are under constant financial pressure it would always be on a shaky footing.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Quote Originally Posted by boban saor View Post

The Daughter got herself a 'Sea Chest' and a 'Roomful of Lifejackets' for 15....but i had to work overtime on the text messaging to stop her buying the 50' Dhow!..went for 200..

Isla have you any idea if the Scaffie stayed in Scotland? Had i been around i would certainly have taken that on...Oh well..back to the workshop...
    No, I have no idea who bought her. I think I will always regret not bidding for her, but I really do have boats 'up the wazoo' at the moment, and would have been hard pressed to find a space in my garden, and time to work on her. Oh well
    Somewhere between Murder and Suicide, there is a place called Merseyside.

Yes, on my "highly tempted" list were the clinker single scull - which went for 275 - and the better of the Morgan Giles Fourteens - which went for 325. But where would I have put them? For once sense prevailed and I know that I will have my hands full with one seventy year old racing dinghy.

I had a bid on the 1890's Smith point three rater "Flying Cloud", to make sure that she was saved, because she really is an important little boat, but I was happy to see her go to a good home not far away and indeed I shall be collecting her sail when I collect GALATEA from Eyemouth.
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT