Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: double ended boat decision

Default Re: double ended boat decision

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Fuller View Post
    I wonder if Redmond's Whisp without sailing rig might be a place to start.
    I rowed the one in WB's fleet one afternoon and would REALLY hesitate to take it out in steep waves and high winds like to OP wants to.
    "... and the great shroud of the sea rolled on as it rolled five thousand years ago."

Quote Originally Posted by rbgarr View Post
    I rowed the one in WB's fleet one afternoon and would REALLY hesitate to take it out in steep waves and high winds like to OP wants to.
    Yes but the real nasty thing that the OP wants to do is board routinely with dive gear on and he wants it all to weigh less than 100 pounds or so. I think any thing like the bolger light dory would be hard to board over the stern.
    Ben Fuller
    Ran Tan, Liten Kuhling, Tipsy, Tippy, Josef W., Merry Mouth, Imp, Macavity, Look Far, Flash and a quiver of other 'yaks.
    "Bound fast is boatless man."

Quote Originally Posted by skaraborgcraft View Post
    Any feedback you want to offer on post 21? Good/bad/indifferent?
    So far post 21 looks like the way to go; it would be easier to board with more buoyant dinghy stern.
    Ben Fuller
    Ran Tan, Liten Kuhling, Tipsy, Tippy, Josef W., Merry Mouth, Imp, Macavity, Look Far, Flash and a quiver of other 'yaks.
    "Bound fast is boatless man."

Yes but the real nasty thing that the OP wants to do is board routinely with dive gear on and he wants it all to weigh less than 100 pounds or so. I think any thing like the bolger light dory would be hard to board over the stern.

Did he say dive gear? I thought he was just a snorkeler. But anyway....
    "... and the great shroud of the sea rolled on as it rolled five thousand years ago."

Quote Originally Posted by rbgarr View Post
    Did he say dive gear? I thought he was just a snorkeler. But anyway....

correct, though it is now acceptable to call oneself a Freediver to differentiate oneself from a mere snorkeler, provided a few breathholds and some judicious finning down towards the bottom are performed from time to time while swimming.

Surely i would never be so 'nasty' as to subject a light dingy to scuba tanks.

--- Sounds like he needs a small-medium size outrigger canoe, excellent for reboarding, and adaptable to sail, power, or paddle. -- Wade

Quote Originally Posted by skaraborgcraft View Post
    Any feedback you want to offer on post 21? Good/bad/indifferent?
    This is the Thames skiff from that page right? The DNA of the Whitehall it could be said, yes i like it very much.

8M to windward in 25 kts wind and sea??
    This is not reasonably do-able.
    As a rowing tender for a larger yacht, I agree a somewhat longer boat has many advantages. For single handed work 15' I think is the maximum. I'd probably be thinking of 12'-14' ...as the boat gets longer you need more force to keep pointing in the direction you want to go. In rough water I would not go to big. I had a 13.5' boat that was a good load carrier and handy in a rough sea. She tracked well and turned easily.
    I'd probably strongly consider a pram ( double ended?).
    Windage is a really serious problem in very low powered boats....rowing boats...
    What about the mcginess bateau? A friend has one and I like it though I have not had it out in a wind/sea.

Or maybe this to save outrigger costs. The Gartside Coastal Rowing boat. Cedar strip. Good adjustable thwart system for one or two rowing. Sails downwind.