Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 23

Thread: Why don't we do this kind of stuff anymore

Default Re: Why don't we do this kind of stuff anymore

Quote Originally Posted by KMacDonald View Post
    Keep your options open.
    When the time comes, I'd move to Mexico if the factory moves.
    "Please be more specific or we'll choose to order a cheaper bilge-rat to replace you."

~seanz

Quote Originally Posted by webishop14 View Post
    Yes, I suppose the Shasta dam could be raised. It's a beautiful lake, and made larger would make it even more alluring from a sailing aspect. However we can't overlook the Oroville dam affair either.

On the subject of the high speed transport: f=ma, and time is required here to go from dead stopped to 200 mph. But every small town along the route: Bakersfield, Delano, Fresno, Mariposa, Merced, etc. will want to be a stop along the way. So in the end, it will not be a bullet train. It will just be a very expensive milk run. The biggest problem I see with a bullet train is presented by the Tehachape Mountains. In France, the TGV works because it's all level ground. If we really want high-speed transportation between SF and LA, we need to be talking to Elon Musk.
    Whoa, whoa, whoa. Fresno and Bakersfield both gots more people than y'all do.

I think I already said we need a high speed corridor connected by light rail and anonymous (yes, I mean, like not attributed to any person, an every person's car) self driving cars, like a robo-uber.

LA itself is problematic, because what is LA? LA is really like 1,769 fiercely independent cities attached to the little dude in the middle. The answer is light rail connections to the high speed train. Shoot, they already have a killer public transit and subway in LA.

BART fingers already carry the Bay over into the valley, just about.

California is a fairly progressive and very democratic state. There are more than a few instances of bipartisan legislation in our recent past. And further back, too.

I think a high speed rail connecting the major population hubs is a great idea. The future promises more people on a smaller planet, so we must begin to make the changes now to ensure a different tomorrow.

Besides, dirt farming has 50 years, tops. Maybe not even that long. All that land will be populated, too, eventually.

Peace,
    Robert

I know, but a huge price to go along with it.
    American wages are greater then Pakistan's or China's ..True ? But then so are yours.

or learn to make simple patterns like a pintle and have your nearest foundry cast it.
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    American wages are greater then Pakistan's or China's ..True ? But then so are yours.

or learn to make simple patterns like a pintle and have your nearest foundry cast it.
    I don't know of a local foundry near me. PTF wasn't interested in a small job like that and I bet most wouldn't be. It may be different in Australia.

So, what'd you do, Kmac? Order the dinghy gudgeons and pintles from Jamestown?

I put those on my folding dinghy with the 50sqft sprit sail.

But 15 years ago, I put these rugged numbers on my Swampscott build. The straps are 4" long, tapered pintles 1/2" diameter at the bearing point. They're not going anywhere.

Probably not from China, but I can't recall being defeated by the price. Small potatoes compared to the overall project, well worth it for vital gear.

We've got a major infrastructure boom occurring in New South Wales. A change of government in 2011 after some seriously mis-managed years under Labor got the state out of continual deficit budgets, corruption scandals and a horrible shortfall of infrastructure action. We are building significant road and, more importantly, rail and other projects. Investment in infrastructure breeds confidence.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

I'd rather look back at my life and say "I can't believe I did that" instead of being there saying "I wish I'd done that"

Did KMac require a Coast Guard rescue recently?
    Rattling the teacups.

Quote Originally Posted by L.W. Baxter View Post
    So, what'd you do, Kmac? Order the dinghy gudgeons and pintles from Jamestown?

I put those on my folding dinghy with the 50sqft sprit sail.

But 15 years ago, I put these rugged numbers on my Swampscott build. The straps are 4" long, tapered pintles 1/2" diameter at the bearing point. They're not going anywhere.

Probably not from China, but I can't recall being defeated by the price. Small potatoes compared to the overall project, well worth it for vital gear.

Looks like what I have now and the ones that broke. New ones are bigger.

Quote Originally Posted by oznabrag View Post
    Did KMac require a Coast Guard rescue recently?
    No, vicious rumor started be the left.

Looks like what I have now and the ones that broke. New ones are bigger.
    Oh?

You should post a picture, so we can all learn from your failure.

So, did they give him blankies and hot cocoa?

I hear the Coastie nurses are hot!
    Rattling the teacups.

The Coast Guard advised him to wade ashore and proceed to Walmart for new pintles.

The Coast Guard advised him to wade ashore and proceed to Walmart for new pintles.
    Wait. He buys his panties at Walmart?
    Rattling the teacups.

I don't know of a local foundry near me. PTF wasn't interested in a small job like that and I bet most wouldn't be. It may be different in Australia.
    There is usually a foundry within 50 miles of you, industry needs repair facilities even if new work is mainly overseas now here and in the US. All will do small one offs. http://www.americanalloyfoundry.com/
    Grateful Dead

The Chinese Pintle may have broken due to shoddy materials. I won't buy any foodstuffs made in China, since who knows what crap it may be made of, ditto for anything important, or that I don't consider disposable. If you plan to voyage offshore, I would buy domestic.

Re infrastructure investment, I seem to recall Obama wanted to do this but was shouted down by a chorus of Republicans who chanted over and over: "the Government can't create jobs!". Of course that's total BS. If you create the right infrastructure, it can create jobs which go on generation after generation.

High Speed rail is a great idea. Even if we just proceed to establish the land required. And so what if we need to make multiple stops from LA to the Bay Area? Why can't we have "local" and "express" lines? It's a good thing today's republicans weren't around for the Apollo program, it probably would never have happened.

Oh?

You should post a picture, so we can all learn from your failure.
    A broken pintles, why would you need a picture? Oh now I see.

A broken pintles, why would you need a picture? Oh now I see.
    Because I don't believe a word you say.

Like when you say "PTF wasn't interested in a small job like that", as if you contacted them about custom hardware. I reckon that's a lie. They would tell you there's no need for a custom pattern, they have a pattern to suit your needs.

But you bought an off-the-shelf pattern that you know was cast in china? Out of what material? And it looks like the bronze set I posted the picture of?

Show me, tell me where you sourced it, how you know it was cast in China. I want to learn.

Because I don't believe a word you say.

Like when you say "PTF wasn't interested in a small job like that", as if you contacted them about custom hardware. I reckon that's a lie. They would tell you there's no need for a custom pattern, they have a pattern to suit your needs.

But you bought an off-the-shelf pattern that you know was cast in china? Out of what material? And it looks like the bronze set I posted the picture of?

Show me, tell me where you sourced it, how you know it was cast in China. I want to learn.
    Isn't calling someone a liar grounds for banning?

Did you contact Port Townsend Foundry, to ask them about gudgeons and pintles, and they told you they weren't interested in supplying hardware for your small boat?

Was that a true statement?

I deal with PT Foundry regularly, send customers there for cast fittings, buy a heap of stuff from them for those SCAMP campers who want cast, Duckworks is the other choice for stainless steel fittings. The foundry has a huge range of patterns and is usually only two or three weeks between order and delivery, faster if you can do your own fettling and drilling.
    Good people.

John Welsford
    An expert is but a beginner with experience.

Grateful Dead

Here ya go, KMac: Custom-cast bronze hardware made by a couple of North American boys who know boatbuilding, too. http://www.ternboatworks.com/gandt/index.html

Now you can stop pestering those poor folks at WallyWorld for marine hardware.
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

Not if they were lying.

Quote Originally Posted by StevenBauer View Post
    Not if they were lying.
    Sorry I missed your little get together. Next time.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    The one on the right is exactly what I had and what I just got from Hamilton. My pintles didn't break the way the one on the left did. The pin broke off at the strap portion. Like I said before it had been previously bent in transport and restraightened..

Remarkable that the Chinese building maintained structural integrity as it hit ground.

Then again, if you look at the vids of 'Galloping Gertie', the Tacoma Narrows bridge that failed, it underwent stupendous deflection before failing. We can do bravura engineering too.
    Gerard>
    Everett, WA

RESIST. FIGHT THE POWER.