Thread: S&S "Stormy Weather" lines featured in Rudder Magazine?

Default S&S "Stormy Weather" lines featured in Rudder Magazine?

Guri_1939.jpg

I'm researching the history of S/Y "Guri", built in my home village, Rosendal, Norway in 1938. She is said to be heavily inspired by Olin Stephens design "Stomy Weather".
    "Stormy Weather" won the Newport-Bergen Transatlantic race, arriving in Bergen 28th of June 1935. There she was spotted by C.K. Wiese, gold medalist in sailing in the 1920 Olympics in Antwerp. She must have made an impression, because in 1938 he comissioned "Guri" from Skaalurens Skipsbyggeri. According to some sources master shipwright T.K. Skaaluren draw the lines based on the lines of "Stormy Weather" published in Rudder Magazine.

Is there anybody who can confirm that Rudder Magazine did publish the line drawings of "Stormy Weather" some time between 1935 and 1938? According to http://navalmarinearchive.com "Stormy Weather" is mentioned in #51/7, 8 and 10, 52/3, 7 and 8, 53/4 and 54/3

Default Re: S&S "Stormy Weather" lines featured in Rudder Magazine?

I can't confirm the lines were published in "The Rudder" but, I do believe the lines were published in Uffa Foxes Second Book.
    Jay

According to the guide produced by Mystic Seaport showing designs in The Rudder, Stormy Weather's was shown in Oct. 1035.

And used thirty one years later for a sail across the English Channel to Hastings.

Yes, Harold's plan to defeat the Norman invasion fleet was foiled when his fleet of Bristol Channel pilot cutters were unable to catch Stormy Weather upwind. Of such things are history made.

Stormy Weather's lines are in Uffa Fox's Racing Cruising and Design published in 1938.