Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Charcoal Heaters

Default Re: Charcoal Heaters

Quote Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
    Well thank you everyone..
    I have found the heater for me...
    I've met the man who make them and squared everything about the charcoal heater he makes in his shed..
    He used to have a company making them, but now just does it part time..
    Yes you have to store little bags of lumpwood charcoal but it burns away to nothing and there's no chance of the stove running away.. Something that has frightened the s...te out of a lot,Attachment 10585 on these forums..

I have names and numbers if anyone wants to get in touch...
    Try this link http://www.hampshireheaters.co.uk/index.html

Nick

I am happy for you! I would just like to add for any one not convinced yet, that the cast iron Fatsco stoves burn just fine on charcoal as well as the stainless steel stove depicted above. The cast iron body, of the Fatsco, is a constant radiating heat sink. I believe that Fatsco set up is much more economical and fuel efficient as well!
    Jay

Charcoal stove is our tradition.. I am not sure good for boat.. Fist charcoal produced more heat.. as far as I understood this stove should be erected outside of cabin. This means that it can be dangereous due to that more heat.. Difficult to use during the sail I beliave..

Such solid fuel burning stoves should have inner bucket. For two purposes .. To prevent burning charcoal pieces to go out.. Second , to remove dust easily move outside.. Good charcoal produces lot of spark during the burning. Besides , not easy to burn..

Last thing, this stove consist two parts burning room and ventilation room. More heat can cause the corrosion at the inner burning room.. In time if any smoke mixed with ventiated heated air , it can be so dangereous..

Every year , minimum 5 people dies due to charcoal poision in Middle East..

Sure , the company who produced that stove know all disadvantages of charcoal and designed the stove according to that.. I just take an attention to disadvantages of charcoal. As a result , all fuel has bring their own disadvantages when we decide to use.. Any kind of stove in the boat need more attention during burning stage..

Brilliant
    That's shut us all up !

Quote Originally Posted by ersin boke View Post
    as far as I understood this stove should be erected outside of cabin.
    Please could you explain this comment Ersin?

I suspect myself what I read.. But when I first read the document I understood that this stove should be outside of cabin.. Mean suitible place on the deck. I read the document and I understand the same. Sorry for my poor English.

I try to explain and take attention to danger of charcoal. Honestly, All Middle East, every home have barbeques and charcoil is used as fuel. as I said, people are dyig due to wrong usage. This is the reason that I try to take attention to poision risks..

Ofcourse , all fuel has different risks.. Again , the company who produced this stove consider the risks, and othorities approved the product..

Sorry for interuption.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

I noticed when using better (real) charcoal it shot red hot bits out the cracks in the door.

Hi Ersin, I think everyone pretty much agrees with you on the known hazards of pretty much any, combustible fuel stove. It's tragic that people are losing their lives to charcoal stoves used in houses when a simple CO monitor could alert them to dangerous levels of CO and even more so that so many simply can't afford the monitors!

Any new adventures on Tayo Mar?

Guys, I don't believe that charcoal produces any more carbon monoxide than a normal fire will. It is the venting of the co gasses up through the stack and outboard that prevents them from building up in an enclosed space such as a cabin. And yes, there shuld be a source for fresh air to enter through as well such as a deck vent, open port hole or a hatch that is slightly ajar.
    Jay

Quote Originally Posted by ersin boke View Post
    I suspect myself what I read.. But when I first read the document I understood that this stove should be outside of cabin.. Mean suitible place on the deck. I read the document and I understand the same. Sorry for my poor English.

I try to explain and take attention to danger of charcoal. Honestly, All Middle East, every home have barbeques and charcoil is used as fuel. as I said, people are dyig due to wrong usage. This is the reason that I try to take attention to poision risks..

Ofcourse , all fuel has different risks.. Again , the company who produced this stove consider the risks, and othorities approved the product..

Sorry for interuption.
    Agreed. And thanks for your participation in the forum! I don't think we have many members from Turkey. I enjoy hearing your perspective.

Some of the more high tech cabin heating systems bring the combustion air in from the outside, so that you are not burning the oxygen from the air you breath. This reduces the likelihood of CO2 or CO build up. There is the added advantage that you are not allowing/bringing cold air into the cabin, allowing more efficient heating. I am not sure I have ever seen this with solid fuel heaters. Were I considering building my own, I think this would be part of the plan......

The loose lump charcoal does have a lot more dust and small chunks (than briquettes) , which can spark and spit a little. Occasionally I have found that sparking to be a problem/nuisance. The briquettes are cleaner and easier to use and do not spark to the same extent (hardly at all), however there is a lot more ash which needs to be cleaned/removed after pretty much every burn. The lump charcoal I might go a day or two of continuous fire before cleaning is needed.

No argument from me, I even have solid fuel heating in my house. It prevents moisture from forming and making things clammy!
    Jay

Solid fuel really dries things out. Liquid fuel seems to pump moisture into the air.

I don't know if they are still making these, but once you understand how to start and stoke them, they are fantastic. (A lot more money than a Fatsco Tiny Tot or Pet, though!