Thread: Charcoal Heaters

Default Charcoal Heaters

Dear All,

Ive been researching Charcoal Heaters and have been directed to Southampton in England ...

But there are two companies apparently..

Hampshireheaters.co.uk & charcoalheater.com .....

They seem to be different heaters by the photos , but the similar wording exists on both websites.

Is it two original owners where there's been a parting of the ways ?

Many thanks for any help,

Tigger
    Last edited by Tigger; 07-10-2017 at 01:50 AM.

Default Re: Charcoal Heaters

If you plan to heat the interior of your boat, the stove must be "properly vented'. Other wise the use of charcoal for heating, any enclosed space, can result in carbon monoxide poisoning and or death!
    Jay

Even if you have an outside air source to the heater, you'll still want CO meters scattered about.

And don't forget to wear a PFD (Oh, what was the question again?)

? ? ?

I've a Gypsy Stove heater on my Folkboat. The heater's very basic, maybe 6" square, and a foot high, 4 'feet' on the bottom, and a rectangular flue from the back, at the top. I believe that the targeted consumer is the canal boat, caravan user, type, rather than any yottie.
    The air flow through it, is 'controlled' by the opening of the ash-pan at the bottom. Gypsy Stoves can be found throughout the auction sites, in varying sizes and quality. Mine cost 75, or so, and is quite impressive in it's efficiency; here's the caveat, once you've gotten used to it, and its absolute basic design.
    Getting the thing lit wasn't fun at first, now I put a 'T' light in the ash pan, with a good measure of charcoal in the stove section, on its grate. Usually it's about a 1/4 of an hour, before the charcoal is self sustaining for the ash/flue door to be shut to a minimum, and then it's warm for 6 hours, without any attention. Once the fire has fully depleted itself, there's hardly ever any residual ash to dispose of. These are all good things, and the build quality is good enough, without too much obvious corrosion in the 2 years of life with me.
    A CO2 meter, or 2, is essential, not desired, but essential, as is good ventilation at the start up, thereafter, it ticks along quite well. I'd initially a bit of bother with the door seals, and that led to a CO2 alarm early on, however, now that I sealed the door properly, it's fine.
    The price for mine is without the fittings, however, the through deck part took a bit of thought, and nerve; it's a most basic human skill, putting a chimney through a roof is something human's have done for millenia. I did use some exhaust bandage, and fire cement to ensure that no heat would propagate to the surrounding deck, and thus far it's been successful.
    I'm unable to post pictures of the installation just now, but may be able to later on, if it were wanted.

The only ones I'm familiar with are Bengco heaters. https://www.freeindex.co.uk/profile(...ng)_147565.htm
    They work fairly well but need to be sited well down to get heat at sole / deck level.

Depending on your access to machining facilities, have a look at this http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/12/howto/woodstove/

Nick

I use Charcoal to heat my boat. It is safe and dry and burns well for a long time relative to other dry fuels. The warnings described here are important. Good ventilation, and CO alarm vital.
    I recommend using hardwood chunk charcoal, or other natural charcoal, rather than 'briquettes'. The latter generated far more ash. There is a lot of filler in the brickets that does not burn up when the main fuel is consumed. The natural chunk charcoal has very little ash when it is done.
    Unless your stove is intended/recommended for burning compressed wood products (logs or pellets), I do not recommend it. It burns hotter and with less control....Needs more air to keep burning then burns too hot and fast ( I lost control of an attended 'presto-log' fire once, managed to hold it together but it was scary ). I have used it some compressed wood products in my "tiny tot' but really it is not as good as the intended charcoal by a long measure. Natural wood is better though you will have to frequently feed (every 15 minutes of so)

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

How often have youse guys CO2 detectors gone off?
    I've used wood, coal ,charcoal, fake wood , diesel, kero in a dozen different stoves and set ups over the decades and lived to tell about it.
    ..and more than one of those set ups have been poor,fire running backward for "no reason", fire going out for "no reason",runaway for "no reason".
    bruce

I have had the one in the house go off, never the one in the boat......I never had one of course for very many years on the boat,with a variety of stoves. Only installed one on this boat, and only turn it on if we are snoozing or sleeping while the fire is on. The boat is well ventilated......

Rockland Maine USA and Woodbridge, Suffolk, England

Hmm ... both sites look a bit odd to me - links don't work, or bring you back to the same page, unrelated content, etc. No physical address. No pictures of actual installations. I would be very wary of parting with 600 + without going to see one of these. Or maybe getting a reference to someone who has one in use that you can talk to make sure it is a genuine reference, not a 'related' person.

The Pascall Atkey "Pansy" charcoal heater was pretty good They were/are? on the Isle of Wight so same area. I don't know if it is still made or if these are derivatives of it. They are available second-hand though.

Properly installed the Pascall Atkey "Pansy" stoves are pretty safe the products of combustion are exhausted through the flue and their primary air requirement is small. I heated safely with a small wood/coal boat stove for many years without any CO2 monitors etc but I guess having one is a sensible precaution - doesn't replace general common sense though!

As previously mentioned, use real wood charcoal - not compressed briquettes as these leave far too much ash.

Cheers -- George
    To be truly free to live, one must be free to think and speak.

A C Grayling

George,

Many thanks..

Roger