Am I the last Rhode Island clam chowdah holdout?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rob Hazard
    • Sep 2003

Re: Am I the last Rhode Island clam chowdah holdout?

One important ingredient you missed was a bit of finely diced salt pork, which goes in the pot first to fry up the onions.
    It was a cheap way to feed a family in hard times.
    These great bowls of clam-flavored heavy cream may please the tourists, but that's not old-style Rhode Island clam chowder.

The white wine, now, that's a later addition.

Comment

• callsign222
      • Aug 2009

Originally posted by Rob Hazard

The white wine, now, that's a later addition.
      Le vin c'est pour boire, mon Commodore!

Comment

• Reynard38
        • Sep 2009

Originally posted by Paul Pless
        Rhode Islanders are weird
        Try buying a catboat from one!
        Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!

Comment

• Figment
          Gluten Enthusiast
          • Dec 2001

I am thoroughly and emphatically in favor of Rhode Island clear chowder.

To those that say it isn't a chowder, merely a clam soup..... I can't hear you over the sound of my own slurping at the bowl.
          People today will buy a car with square wheels as long as the steering wheel is heated.

Comment

• BrianY
            Left Wing Extremist
            • Apr 2004

RI Chowder, clam cakes and a Narragansett lager...a truly perfect combination
            I rather be an American than a Republican.

Comment

• BrianY
              Left Wing Extremist
              • Apr 2004

Originally posted by Paul Pless
              Rhode Islanders are weird
              Yes they are! Dangerously so. All you folks better stay away for your own good and leave the Rhode Islanders (and a few misplaced out of staters with similar weird tendencies) alone to enjoy their strange foods and beaches. Please...
              I rather be an American than a Republican.

Comment

• Figment
                Gluten Enthusiast
                • Dec 2001

One important ingredient you missed was a bit of finely diced salt pork, which goes in the pot first to fry up the onions.
                At a long-ago lunch at The Beachhead on block island, I was a table away from a few just-off-the-ferry new yorkers who were eager to sample all that the island had to offer... with certain conditions.

Ignoramus: "We all want the clam chowder, but please serve it without the salt pork."

Five minutes later, after the waitstaff, the manager, and a few other fellow patrons including myself had assured him that this was not an issue of discrimination but rather of sheer impracticality, he was mortified to learn that each bowl of soup was not made fresh to order.

The look of absolute bewilderment on his face was something to see.
                This clearly was one of those "foodies" who knows absolutely everything there is to know about food but hasn't ever cooked a damn thing.
                People today will buy a car with square wheels as long as the steering wheel is heated.

Comment

• StevenBauer
                  LPBC member
                  • Jan 2000

He didn't just miss the salt pork, he missed the onions, too!

Comment

• woodpile
                    • Jul 2008

Never been a big fan of the clear chowda but the fish chowda at the Dolphin restaurant on the Harpswell peninsula in Maine makes a clear fish chowda with lots of fresh haddock in it, it's off the charts, especially with one of their blueberry muffins., it's basically a clear clam chowda with the haddock added. Personal benchmark for the best creamy clam chowda is the Lobster Dock in Boothbay me., owner if a friend of Flay's and a hard core foodie.

Comment

• ahp
                      • Jan 2001

The clear chowder we had on the Outer Banks had little shell fish, maybe from the beach? Also there was a fine green herb, don't know what it was but it was good. I believe that traditionally a chowder was made from what ever you had on had.

Comment

• Gerarddm
                        #RESIST
                        • Feb 2010

Actually I am the last holdout because I will be in Newport at the end of this month and have absolutely zero intentions of swilling the stuff.
                        Gerard>
                        Albuquerque, NM

Next election, vote against EVERY Republican, for EVERY office, at EVERY level. Be patriotic, save the country.

Comment

• callsign222
                          • Aug 2009

Originally posted by Figment
                          I am thoroughly and emphatically in favor of Rhode Island clear chowder.

To those that say it isn't a chowder, merely a clam soup..... I can't hear you over the sound of my own slurping at the bowl.
                          Originally posted by BrianY
                          RI Chowder, clam cakes and a Narragansett lager...a truly perfect combination
                          Originally posted by BrianY
                          All you folks better stay away for your own good and leave the Rhode Islanders (and a few misplaced out of staters with similar weird tendencies) alone to enjoy their strange foods and beaches. Please...
                          GREAT TO SEE THE ENTHUSIASM GUYS! Yes, I love it, yeah!

Originally posted by StevenBauer
                          He didn't just miss the salt pork, he missed the onions, too!
                          For the record, Steve, I was loosely describing, in a weak moment of lament over lost yet much loved chowdah, to those here who knew nothing about this preferred Superior RI Chowdah. I was not writing down Pop's secret recipe.

Now quitchyer nit-picking and go try some real chowdah and make up for all those lost years of eating that heart stopping Creamy-Flour-Rip-Off Chowdah!

Comment

• Jim Ledger
                            • Nov 2006

Anyone else here grow up watching Salty Brine's Shack?
                            Oh, yeah, where the latch-string's always out. We lived all over Rhode Island when I was a kid, Hope Valley, Coventry, Apponaug, East Greenwich. We moved around a fair bit in those days.

Comment

• Breakaway
                              • Mar 2007

I'm sitting in the White Horse Tavern, Newport, as I post. I'm am enjoying a bowl of this most marvelous chowder. Some pics:

Recommended.

Kevin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                              There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Comment

• Rob Hazard
                                • Sep 2003

Four bells, that's six o'clock to all you landlubbers!

All this talk of chowder has me reminiscing about johnny cakes and blackberry flummery!

Comment

Working...