Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Am I the last Rhode Island clam chowdah holdout?

Default Re: Am I the last Rhode Island clam chowdah holdout?

Damnation and a pox on all who would add tomatoes and or flour to chowdah! I am truly partial to L.Francis Herreshoff's recipe that can be found in his book, the "Complete Cruiser"! Mattie's Tavern in Marble Head makes a killer chowdah too!
    Jay

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Greer View Post
    Damnation and a pox on all who would add tomatoes and or flour to chowdah! I am truly partial to L.Francis Herreshoff's recipe that can be found in his book, the "Complete Cruiser"! Mattie's Tavern in Marble Head makes a killer chowdah too!
    Jay
    Jay, could you reference the page/chapter? I flipped through but didn't find it or remember, and I got to re-reading about cedar buckets and adjustable seats...

Christophe, I had the same question so I looked it up. It's right in the first chapter, pages 13 to 17, related in LFH's amusingly fussy narrative style. It's not a recipe per se, but a description of the cooking process.
    Last edited by Rob Hazard; 07-13-2017 at 07:17 AM. Reason: Clarity

The Milligan family recipe for chowder on Oak Island was clams that were trod up right in front of the house that morning; big ones called chowder clams, salt pork, corn, onions, celery and tomatoes. All done in a massive cast iron pot. Id burn my fingers swiping the pieces of fried salt pork....

Quahogs are what they call chowder clams in most of New England where they make chow-dah, or choe-duh depending on how far north you get.
    Nothing wrong with Rhode Island chowder. Someone mentioned the place in Gallilee. If its the place Im thinking of its on the road to the Block Island ferry? Instead of making the right to Goat Island Road, you stay on until you get to the end of the point. They make a passable clam cake too, but we always called them clam fritters.
    And how is a milk shake a cabinet?? Thats the real question......

Each year on Opening Day at our boat club, there is a five gallon pot of RI chowder. Good Stuff. I prefer white, tho
    \"Of all the things I\'ve lost, I miss my mind the most.\"

I've made "Compleat Cruiser Chowder" a few times, good stuff.

A chowder like this is a far cry from the oatmeal consistency stuff most people associate with the term. You can get a slightly better mouth feel by not just using the potato boiling water as LFH does but by mashing some of the 'taters up in the broth. It is a good base to start, there are any number of (possibly heretical) additions one could make, though I fully support Jay's assertion to keep the tomatoes out.
    Last edited by stromborg; 07-13-2017 at 04:50 PM.
    Steve

Boats, like whiskey, are all good.
    R.D Culler

I did a typical grocery quickstop on the way home yesterday. The usuals, applesauces for the kids, bacon for the morning, some tortellini for dinner....

And then, stopped me cold in my tracks, a quart of "Rhode Island Haddock Chowder".
    and a baguette.

I shared it with nobody. they got the tortellini.
    Going back today to see if they have any leftovers.
    A boatless inlander, searching for the meaning of life-aground.

Quote Originally Posted by Figment View Post
    At a long-ago lunch at The Beachhead on block island, I was a table away from a few just-off-the-ferry new yorkers who were eager to sample all that the island had to offer...
    YEA FIGMENT! Thanks for the tip! AhHA! I went to Block Island last week to sample The Beachhead's RI Clam Chowdah (they call it B.I. Chowdah but we know what it truly is.) I got off the boat and marched right over there to eat 'em clams! OOOOooOOOooOOOOoooOOOoohhhh SO GOOD!

There are NO OYSTER CRACKERS IN THIS BOWL what you are looking at is CLAMS (there may be one potato piece). HUGE clam quotient! The restaurant cannot hide the paucity of clams in RICC like they can in Creamy-Flour-Rip-Off Chowdah, nosir, the patrons can tell if there are actually clams in the chowdah!

BIG YES, there are clams!

Quote Originally Posted by callsign222 View Post
    Just give me clams, potatoes, some herbs and a dry mineral white wine...
    Quote Originally Posted by Canoeyawl View Post
    I would have to use a bit of sautéed garlic, parsley and onions...
    And if you hold back on the wine it makes a damn good pasta.
    Get rid of the clams, potatoes, keep the white wine, add mussels and fries and you've got my moules-frite. Delish.