Thread: New milling technique

Default Re: New milling technique

Radial sawn clapboards were first done shortly after the invention of the circular saw , about 150 years ago.
    http://www.wardclapboard.com/

Quote Originally Posted by JimConlin View Post
    Radial sawn clapboards were first done shortly after the invention of the circular saw , about 150 years ago.
    http://www.wardclapboard.com/
    They state that they are using quarter sawn lumber for their claps, unless I missed another reference.
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Wilkinson View Post
    They state that they are using quarter sawn lumber for their claps, unless I missed another reference.
    That's the point of radial sawing. It produces wedge shaped pieces of quarter sawn lumber.

They're not claiming the invention of radial sawing ...... Perhaps I should have used the term technology in the title rather than technique.

My understanding is that they can run a log through and the saw makes many radial cuts in one hit. Anyway, may be of interest to some.

Rick

Yes... it's not new.

Yes... it's decidedly superior.

Yes... if they have equipment that makes the cost more reasonable it would be a step forward. But, sadly, I doubt that's the case.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Instead of starting with a quartered log they saw it into eighths. It produces more pieces that are closer to radial than quartersawn at the expense of narrower boards and more waste. Needs special machinery to cut the off 90 degree wedges but that is not revolutionary, just a matter of supporting the baulk at the desired angle. If they can make all the wedge cuts in one pass, there is significant efficiency gained from time and machinery hours. Some of the efficiency advantage is lost in extra time and materials to utilize the narrower boards.
    Tom L

Wow! That is going back to producing planks similar to those that were used for the Viking long boats and clapboard house planks. Yes, it is not new but a new trick for old ways of doing things. Deffinatly a better way unless you want slash grain.
    Jay

Rick , in 1973 I bought a miners cottage in Ipswich, Qld. which had been built in 1910. It was hardwood framed, all mortice and tennon jointed (no nails) and clad in radial sawn, Qld. red cedar . The interior was N.Z. kauri verticle joint (matchlining). The ceilings were broad sawn kauri to, all the saw marks on the timber were from a verticle saw or deal frame. I would like to see the saw setup, just how they rotated the baulk for cutting.
    regards ray

I saw that T.V. presentation a couple of days ago, they appear to use a pair of dividing heads and a single circular blade with carriage running up and down the log They run the saw through the log, not the log through the saw.
    ray

Me too. My impression was they e developed a new way of doing quarter sawing, producing better timber than the standard sawmill with less waste. Sounds great.

Is it "CLABB-berd" or "CLAP-board"??
    \"Of all the things I\'ve lost, I miss my mind the most.\"

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin G View Post
    Is it "CLABB-berd" or "CLAP-board"??
    The second is how it's spelled. The first is how it's pronounced around here. Starting in New England (or, probably, in Old England), and now mostly throughout the U.S.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Me too. My impression was they e developed a new way of doing quarter sawing, producing better timber than the standard sawmill with less waste. Sounds great.
    The exact setup may be new, but the basic concept is not. If you've ever run into 'beveled' siding (thicker at the lower edge, tapering to thinner at the upper edge... this is how it's been achieved. For a very long time. In order to achieve a superior, quartersawn, product with less seasonal movement in use.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

I don't get it. If everything is radially sawn, then why does this photo show plain sawn lumber?

Every board should have VERTICAL grain????

Quote Originally Posted by rayman View Post
    Rick , in 1973 I bought a miners cottage in Ipswich, Qld. which had been built in 1910. It was hardwood framed, all mortice and tennon jointed (no nails) and clad in radial sawn, Qld. red cedar . The interior was N.Z. kauri verticle joint (matchlining). The ceilings were broad sawn kauri to, all the saw marks on the timber were from a verticle saw or deal frame. I would like to see the saw setup, just how they rotated the baulk for cutting.
    regards ray
    Your cottage sounds beautiful!

Rick