Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: On the Subject of Free Wooden Boats

Default On the Subject of Free Wooden Boats

Hello! I'm a new member and this is my first post. Iíve found a free wooden boat and want to fix it up - what do I do?

Welcome to the Forum newbie! Stay out of the bilge. What was your question again?

Iíve been offered an old wooden boat for free but it needs some work. Where do I start?

Run away. Itís free for a reason. Seriously. You should stop reading this right now, extract yourself from whatever deal is being offered and find another way to spend your time and money. Buy a fiberglass Cal 30 or a Tollycraft 26 Sedan if you want to get on the water. Those are nice, affordable boats and a lot of value for the money. And there are plenty of other inexpensive fiberglass boats for sale if those donít appeal.

Thatís pretty harsh. I really like this boat and Iím handy with tools. Plus I donít have any money to spend on a newer boat. This one is FREE! Can you be a little more helpful please?

Maybe, but first go read this thread: The Harbor Master Called me Today. Yes, itís very long but read whole thing. Then read these: Perihelion - a story of hubris, failure... and redemption?, work on a maica 33 john illingworth, Complete Keel Replacement 40ft 1930s Wooden FIshing Boat, and Re:40ft 1930's Fishing/Picnic Boat Keel/Underbelly Rot. Come back when you are done.

Default Re: On the Subject of Free Wooden Boats

...Ok, I’ve read those threads now. That guy up in Alaska sure is doing a great job! I want to do that too. How do I start?

Wait - are you still here? Yes, Jim’s work on Amazon is a great example to follow. But there are some things I hope you learned from all that reading. For example Jim is an experienced shipwright with time, skills, tools, a supportive family and, most importantly, a free place to work that is close to his home. And it’s still taken him several years, with more work to come. All that work requires a lot of knowledge and experience. It can all be learned, but it’s a slow road with a lot of bumps.

Did you read the other threads, about projects that did not go so well? Some sad stories (one of them mine). A lot of money gone. A lot of time spent. And in the end, just another free boat being passed on to someone else, or worse - being cut up for scrap. And there are plenty more tales where those came from.

Oh, yeah yeah. I saw those. Sort of. But I’m sure that won’t happen to me. Plus it’s a FREE BOAT!

Well, ok. First thing you need to do is to post some photos here so we can all have a look at it. That’s not the easiest thing to do but if you do some searching you can find a tutorial on how to get it done. The trick is that you have to host your photos somewhere else. You can’t upload them to the forum site itself, even though it looks like that option should work when you try it. Trust me, it doesn’t.

Ah... ok, I’ve posted a photo. I had to make it really small before it would upload though.

Close, but not quite correct. You need to Google Thorne’s photo posting tutorial and then… oh never mind. Here’s the link:

http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...t-instructions

Be forewarned. Unless your boat is in unusually good condition (it’s not - otherwise it wouldn’t be free) you will probably get a lot of people telling you what a bad idea this whole escapade is, how it will all end in tears and the utter ruin of your health, mental wellbeing, marriage and financial future. It will sting. It will feel like they are trying to crush your dream. You may be inclined to argue - most neophytes do at first. But those critics are right. There is a likely a greater concentration of knowledge about wooden boats here on this forum than has existed since the last time L. F. Herreshoff had a conversation with himself. You should listen to what they have to say.

Got it - I think I’ve figured the whole photo posting thing. What a PITA. Anyway here’s the boat. She’s not too bad. The previous owner says she only needs a new keel and a stem. And a couple of planks. And he said something about sistering some frames? Anyway she looks pretty good to me. How do I replace the keel? That seems like the best place to start.

Ah, what you have there is more what we would call a “shipwreck” than a restoration project.

That’s mean. If you can’t say anything nice…

Ok, Ok, sorry - but seriously, you don’t know what you are getting into. Let’s take it step by step. First thing, you need to have it professionally surveyed to learn what’s really wrong with it and whether it can reasonably be fixed at all.

How much will that cost?

It depends on the length of the boat, but figure $500 at the low end. If you have to haul the boat out then add costs for that. Plus towing fees if you can’t get it to a yard under its own power.

$500!? No way can I afford that.

Plus yard costs and towing fees. Yes, restoring an old boat is really, really expensive. If you can’t afford to have it surveyed you can’t afford to restore it.

Yeah, but this one is FREE! And I already own a bunch of hand tools. So it’s just my time. I think I’ll pass on the survey but thanks anyway.

I figured. No one ever gets the survey. But it’s still a really good idea. Anyway, moving on. The next thing you need is a place to put it while you work on it. Do you have a very large yard with good access from the road.

No but I can just work on it in the marina can’t I?

Probably not. Chances are you won’t even be able to find a marina that will rent you a slip for a project boat. And if you could you would still need insurance and you will definitely not find an insurance company that will cover a wooden boat project. Don’t bother looking. It’s not going to happen.

Really? I figured I would live on it while I’m doing the work.

You want to live aboard too?

Yes. I’ll save a lot of money that way.

Well, living aboard can be a wonderful experience but it makes everything twice as hard if you are working on the boat at the same time. I don’t recommend it. You will also find that very few marinas will allow liveaboards. Those that do typically have a limit on how many they will allow, and they are almost always full. This situation could be better or worse depending on where you live, but probably worse. There are other considerations as well. Does the boat have a legal head (toilet) with a holding tank? Do the decks leak? How are the batteries and bilge pumps? You would be better off renting an empty lot somewhere to work on the boat out of the water and then finding a place to live aboard once it’s done.

Rent a place to work on it? That sounds expensive.

It will be, but likely no more than the cost for moorage in a marina. Boats are expensive.

Sure, sure, I know - but this one is FREE. Anyway I think my uncle will let me work on it in his backyard so I’ll just do that instead.

Ok, great. You have a place to work. Let’s talk about money. Even a low-budget restoration project is going to cost thousands of dollars. Probably tens of thousands. The cost of the boat is negligible. You are more likely to save money by buying a better boat up front than by trying to resurrect something you got for free. Good boat lumber is expensive. Tools are expensive. Engines and batteries and sails and rigging and steering gear parts are expensive. Wooden boats in good condition are relatively cheap. You could buy something that would get you on the water right now for a small fraction of the cost to restore your free boat.

Buy a boat? I’ve already said that I can’t afford that at all! Thanks for the advice but I’m just going to work on this one as I have the money. I’m sure it will work out.

It won’t work out, but you won’t figure that out until you are well into it and have spent every spare nickel on the boat. And by then you won’t want to stop because of all the time and money you will have “invested” in this one. I know this to be true from sad personal experience. But nevermind. Everyone has to make their own mistakes.

Thanks, I think. You aren’t very positive about this you know? And that Cleek guy - what’s his problem anyway!

Oh Bob? He’s just trying to help. We see a lot of free boat projects on the forum and sometimes it’s hard to stay positive about them.

Well, Denise is nice at least.

Yes, she is. I admit it might get a little Lord of the Flies around here at times. Denise keeps things from getting too negative though. But we are getting off topic a bit. You have a place to work and you are going to ignore the expense for now. What about tools? Do you have what you will need to work on the boat?

Sure. I have a good toolkit that I got to work on my car. And a cordless screwdriver. And I think I have a hand saw around somewhere. I helped my brother build a deck on his house last year and that went fine so I think I have what I need.

Right. Ok here’s the next thing to know. Working on a wooden boat is not at all like working on a house. It’s about a hundred times more complicated. Maybe a thousand times more complicated. The techniques used will sometimes seem arcane to the point of lunacy. You will be tempted to use modern substitutes. You make even be tempted to use techniques from house construction. Don’t do it! Yes, there are some modern materials that can work well on an old boat, but they solve specific problems and they require experience to use correctly. Otherwise you will likely make things worse, not better.

Maybe, but I have this idea for using plywood and deck screws to patch up the hull that I think will work great.

It won’t.

Sure it will. I’ll just fasten it down and run some silicone caulking around the edges. I know wooden boats are caulked anyway so that seems like it would work.

Some wooden boats are “caulked”, yes, but that has nothing to do with the caulking that you would use on a household tub. Caulking a carvel planked hull is a process that starts with inserting a skein of cotton or oakum into…

Oakum? What’s that?

Tarred hemp mostly. But as I was saying… a skein of cotton or oakum into the seams between the planks. It is then tapped in with a special mallet and a caulking iron of the appropriate size for the seam. It has to be done just right - not too loose, not too tight. It takes a lot of experience to do it well. Then the seams are primed with paint to seal the edges of the planks, and then finally the open seams are “payed” - filled with seam compound which is a soft substance, usually linseed oil based, designed to squeeze out as the planks swell up.

Right - and that’s what keeps the water out. I know.

No, actually it’s the combination of the cotton or oakum and the swelling of the planks that keeps the water out. The seam compound just keeps the water from coming in too fast while the planks swell once the boat is in the water. The caulking (that’s the cotton or oakum) is also structural. It makes the hull more rigid and relieves stress on the plank fasteners. It’s critical. But that’s just for carvel hulls. There are other planking methods. Lapstrake, strip planked, diagonal planked and more. Each of these methods has its own requirements and techniques for repair. You need to know how your boat was constructed and learn how to repair it properly.

Maybe, but all this seems like too much work. Tarred hemp? Linseed oil? Eye of newt? You guys need to join the 21st century. I’m pretty sure that I can fix it with plywood just fine. I just need to plug the holes.

That’s what I’m trying to help you with. But you have to understand how the structure of a wooden boat works. Every piece has a purpose and was designed specifically to meet many requirements. Maintaining the boat’s shape. Structural integrity. Keeping out the water. Resisting rot. Resisting galvanic corrosion. Take your deck screws for instance. They are steel and will they will corrode very quickly. You want proper hot dip galvanized wood screws, or even better silicon bronze. And deck screws are entirely the wrong thread for boat construction. The shape of a proper wood screw is designed to allow the two pieces of wood to clamp together. That’s what the smooth shank is for. A deck screw is mostly designed to be self-tapping - meaning you don’t need to drill a separate hole - and to go in quickly to speed up construction. It doesn’t have nearly the holding power of a good wood screw.

I read about using bronze fasteners in one of the threads you sent me earlier but I didn’t find any at the home supply store near my uncle’s place so I got the deck screws instead. But I’m going to cover it all with epoxy anyway so I think it will be fine.

It won’t. But let’s move on and talk about wood. You will want…

Oh I have that covered. I picked up everything I’ll need from the home supply store. I have a bunch of 2x4s and a couple of sheets of plywood sitting out at my uncle’s place right now.

Right. As I was saying you will need to learn about the types of wood used in wooden boats. It’s not the same as the dimensional lumber you can buy at your local home supply box store. That stuff is mostly generic “SPF” (spruce/pine/fir) white wood. Kiln dried and flat sawn. Weak, rot-prone, dimensionally unstable and useless for most boat building work. What you will use may vary depending on where you are in the world. Each region has its own local varieties. If you are very lucky you may live near a lumberyard that caters to the marine industry and stocks proper lumber. If not you may need to hunt down wood from small suppliers, travel to find it, or have it shipped to you. You will also need to learn about how lumber is cut from the log and how that affects what it does when the moisture content changes. Flat sawn, rift sawn and quarter sawn wood all act differently and those differences are important. How it is dried also makes a difference.

Ok but where do I learn about that?

This forum is a good place to start. Use Google to search for “boatbuilding lumber” and similar terms on the site. There are also some good books available. R. Bruce Hoadley's “Understanding Wood” is worth reading. And while you are at it, you should pick up some books on boat building and repair. This thread has a good list:

http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthread.php?220768-Suggestions-Good-Boat-Building-Books

Great - ok. And hey, I heard that I can make this boat like new just by covering it with fiberglass. That sounds like what I want to do so I might not need all of this other stuff. Thanks anyway though!

Sigh.

The good part is that it keeps some folk off the water. I don't really care that they are out of harm's way so long as they are out of my way.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian McColgin View Post
    The good part is that it keeps some folk off the water. I don't really care that they are out of harm's way so long as they are out of my way.
    Ah - now there's a benefit I hadn't considered Ian. True.

But...but...but... it's a FREE boat!! How can I turn it down?! It even comes with a FREE trailer! It's a bit rusted and the owner says it may need some welding, new tires, hubs and something called 'bearings'. But how much trouble can that be?

This thread should become required reading for every newbie that comes on board with that starry glaze in their eyes about restoring an old boat.
    I love to see old boats brought back to life, but the would-be restorers sometimes have to be given a dose of reality.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Jones View Post
    But...but...but... it's a FREE boat!! How can I turn it down?! It even comes with a FREE trailer! It's a bit rusted and the owner says it may need some welding, new tires, hubs and something called 'bearings'. But how much trouble can that be?

This thread should become required reading for every newbie that comes on board with that starry glaze in their eyes about restoring an old boat.
    I love to see old boats brought back to life, but the would-be restorers sometimes have to be given a dose of reality.
    Oh - yeah, I forgot all about the free trailer! That's the clincher right there. Such a deal!

I often wonder if someone were offered a 'free' wreck of a house (collapsed roof and floors, no windows, plumbing stripped out, plastered walls coming apart, etc. AND having to pay exorbitant taxes on the property) would they jump into it with such rose-colored glasses as we see boat dreamers do.

Excellent!!

This deserves a sticky for sure!

Wow, what got your feathers all in a bunch? Love your back and forth, but a bit harsh.
    Reminds me of the Florida free boat Desaster Guy who made it out to some Anchorage with his pile of firewood.

The lesson is: there is no such thing as a free lunch. A boat is gonna cost money according to size and type. If you don't have to pay it up front, you have to pay it as you go.

Quote Originally Posted by MoritzSchwarzer View Post
    Wow, what got your feathers all in a bunch? Love your back and forth, but a bit harsh.
    Reminds me of the Florida free boat Desaster Guy who made it out to some Anchorage with his pile of firewood.

The lesson is: there is no such thing as a free lunch. A boat is gonna cost money according to size and type. If you don't have to pay it up front, you have to pay it as you go.

Oh - no feathers bunched here at all! I wasn't trying to be harsh. Mostly I was amusing myself since we see the same basic conversation happening every few weeks here. I figured I would just capture the high points. And perhaps put in enough reality into it that it could be useful as a "read this first, then ask again" post. Not sure if I hit that nail squarely but I had fun writing it so no matter either way.

Yes. TANSTAAFL is a law of nature for sure. And one that is never learned by any other means than hard experience.

And here i sit, considering the possibility of dragging a free boat out here to California from New York. I at least have enough sense to know that if there's any significant rot, any frames are busted, or more than one plank needs replacing, then forget it. Replace the stem? Nope.

I do have a front yard that can fit the boat....IF the Mrs. agrees (which she probably won't).
    I'm not planning on living on it while I fix it.
    I have a pretty reasonable estimate of my woodworking skills, which are minimal.

It doesn't have an engine, which is a huge "thank God" in terms of fixing it. I hate engines. Engines plus salt water is the worst.
    and finally, at 21 feet and 1800 pounds, it's pretty small.

I'm trying to get someone who knows something to look at it before I even consider it. The survey is a really good idea.

I think I'll read this thread again.

In the interest of full disclosure here I think I should admit a few things:

1. I am currently on year three of a "free" boat restoration myself, with no end in sight.

2. I did not have a professional survey done before taking on the project.

3. I knew that there was some rot in the hull when I started (and have, of course, found more although nothing terminal. I think...).

4. Petrel currently has both dimensional, white wood lumber and deck screws in some places. Temporary places only, I tell myself, but still it's there.

5. I was not exactly poverty-stricken when I started the work but had recently undergone the dissolution of a business partnership, and certainly had no spare money for boat projects.

So basically I'm guilty of every single mistake I listed in my OP. Twice over I suppose if you include my earlier Perihelion debacle. Which I think makes me fully qualified to comment on the folly of free boats!

The is nothing so expensive as a free boat.

Indeed Ian. I think I need to have that tattooed somewhere.

I think you really caught the spirit of the thing Chris.

And you don't need a survey, just so long as you plan on touching every stick in the boat. But it is helpful to know where to start.
    -Jim

Sucker for a pretty face.
    1934 27' Blanchard Cuiser ~ Amazon, Ex. Emalu
    19'6" Caledonia Yawl ~ Sparrow

Getting into trouble one board at a time.

Bah... you guys are pikers. You should try restoring WWII fighters, and see how that compares...

Dave

But in truth I think your dialogue is brilliant.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hadfield View Post
    Bah... you guys are pikers. You should try restoring WWII fighters, and see how that compares...

Dave
    Dave, I volunteered very briefly at the Boeing Museum of Flight Restoration Shop back in the 1990s so I have some experience with vintage airplane restoration. Some pretty incredible machinery for sure! But yeah - that stuff makes old boats look like bathtub toys.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hadfield View Post
    But in truth I think your dialogue is brilliant.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    This deserves a sticky for sure!
    Indeed. That is a brilliant encapsulation of the collective wisdom, and the impervious nature of some to wisdom.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Free boat

There are free boats and there are free boats. I was given a free I/O 21 footer, hosed out 10 years of accumulated crud, power washed the hull and sold it "as is" for a nice profit after a couple of weekends of work. Free is not always bad, you just need to be selective.

I've heard this advice time and time again and found it to generally be a true-ism.
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward

Free boat:

Bruce, Oldad - I agree that there are free boats worth saving. But I'd also add that most free boats require a lot more than a power wash and a coat of paint. The problem isn't really the "free boat" part of the scenario, it's all of the unrealistic expectations on the part of the inevitably inexperienced, would-be restorers, frequently combined with a stubborn belief that there must be some quick and easy fix that will have the boat back in the water in a weekend or two.

Frankly I think more people should take on old wooden boat projects. There are far too many wonderful boats going to the crusher every day. But I want to see them restored well, not just patched up as cheap housing for the impecunious. And to do it well requires hard, hard, hard work for a very long time. And it requires skills that most people don't have and which take time to learn. And it takes money. Sure there are ways to to it inexpensively. I think I spent less than $5,000 on Petrel the first year I had her (including storage costs). Which is not much at all but it's still not cheap. For that amount I could have bought a very nice trailerable boat and spent the time on the water instead of stuck in the bilge of Petrel.

And I got lucky. I didn't need to replace or rebuild the motor or do anything else that I couldn't tackle myself with a minimum of supplies. I also know that there are larger expenses looming - plank and frame replacement, various system rebuild projects, etc. There simply is no way to own a wooden boat (or any boat really) larger than a trailerable day sailer without spending a lot of money on it.

Anyway, end of rant. I have to go to work to pay for my free boat now

Quote Originally Posted by Oldad View Post
    There are free boats and there are free boats. I was given a free I/O 21 footer, hosed out 10 years of accumulated crud, power washed the hull and sold it "as is" for a nice profit after a couple of weekends of work. Free is not always bad, you just need to be selective.
    As the OP suggested... the chance of scoring a free boat worth messing with is not absolutely zero. Just small. And even then, one has to be savvy enough to recognize the diamond in the rough, and skilled enough to know what she needs, and know that you can manage it within your lifetime. Such as Wiz's example above. It also helps to have copious amounts of free time... and a bank account.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Quote Originally Posted by David G View Post
    As the OP suggested... the chance of scoring a free boat worth messing with is not absolutely zero. Just small. And even then, one has to be savvy enough to recognize the diamond in the rough, and skilled enough to know what she needs, and know that you can manage it within your lifetime. Such as Wiz's example above. It also helps to have copious amounts of free time... and a bank account.
    Yes. Exactly.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Folks thought I was on crack when I pulled this free boat out of the bush

Yes Chris, I want to save them all,well, except for big chris craft type.
    David, It is true I have a bit too much time and money these days.Gag outboards, c'mon.
    I recon it is a nice worm dangling on the end of a rusty tetanus hook for dreamers.
    Vessel has to be of good material originally, about my only caveat.
    Folks telling newbies nonsense like "epoxy is a death sentence"helps no one.
    "Get the survey", that be good advice.

Free. Independence Seaport Museum Philadelphia PA discard (Delaware Ducker)

but I felt obligated to trade. GilPatrick "Puddle Duck" I've not used in 15 years.
    Denise, Bristol PA, Oday30, Anchor Yacht Club, On tidal Delaware River. my current project; http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...0-Ducker-Resto

Wiz,

Now THAT is a hell of an recove...

Hey! Wait!!! Are you saying you AREN'T on crack?
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

Chris speaks wisdom and truth. Amen to that.

I view wooden boats as having life cycles. The "new" phase lasts about 6 months after initial launching. Then there is "maintenence" consisting mainly of sanding, painting and varnishing. Then comes "repairs" this beeing mostly replacing the boat one piece at a time, everytime a piece fails. Then comes "refit" wich usually means a complete rebuild of the boat. The chances of a free boat beeing in the first three stages of life is slim. 99.9% of the free wooden boats are in the "refit" stage. And only 1-2% (I am beeing generous) of all wooden boats in existance deserve a refit. And they usually deserve this refit because of extrinsic value like history, unicity, percieved beauty, etc.
    IMHO a free wooden boat is a good source of ballast, bronze fittings, maybe some nice interior pieces and firewood. A good carpenter or artist can use the sound wood pieces for furniture or sculptures, but that's about it. All those guys crying about the "loss of the art" should better build new wooden boats, that would be a better use of their time than refitting and repairing some old tub.

On the other hand I heard the opinion that in a FREE country, a FREE man should be allowed to make a FREE wooden boat GREAT AGAIN.

I don't drink or smoke, gotta waste my time and money on something.

Quote Originally Posted by rbgarr View Post
    I often wonder if someone were offered a 'free' wreck of a house (collapsed roof and floors, no windows, plumbing stripped out, plastered walls coming apart, etc. AND having to pay exorbitant taxes on the property) would they jump into it with such rose-colored glasses as we see boat dreamers do.
    If it was anywhere around here I would be all over that. And I have a good toolkit...

Quote Originally Posted by wizbang 13 View Post
    Folks thought I was on crack when I pulled this free boat out of the bush

Yes Chris, I want to save them all,well, except for big chris craft type.
    David, It is true I have a bit too much time and money these days.Gag outboards, c'mon.
    I recon it is a nice worm dangling on the end of a rusty tetanus hook for dreamers.
    Vessel has to be of good material originally, about my only caveat.
    Folks telling newbies nonsense like "epoxy is a death sentence"helps no one.
    "Get the survey", that be good advice.
    Bruce, that's not a restoration. That's taking the boat apart and using the pieces to make a new boat that looks just like the old one. And I gotta ask - how much epoxy in that thing!? But seriously, nice work. That's a great looking boat. I would have wanted to bring her back as well.