Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kenjamin
    • May 2005

Birdwing mast design to benefit from new sail track composite material

Many folks have heard the story of how my fishing buddy’s loud complaints about the old straight mast getting in the way of his fishing forced me to glue up a mast that curved around him and stayed completely out of his way when it was stored on the boat.

There’s also the story of how I managed to get Florida State University, my employer at the time, to pursue a patent on the design. It took FSU seven years and $16,000 to be granted a U.S. patent (#8,739,720) for what I call the birdwing mast. Essentially, the birdwing mast is a curved, blade-like foil set on a straight rotating stick. The official title of the patent is “Storable, sickle-shaped sailboat mast.” Why the sickle shape? The handle part of the sickle with its round cross section allows for smooth balanced rotation of the mast within the mast step. The curved part of the sickle-shaped design allows for a swept-back, aerodynamically efficient presentation of mast along the entire length of the mast in the airflow.

For the purpose of illustration, I usually show the straight part of the mast emerging from the free-standing style mast step and then show its transition to the aerodynamically efficient curved part but there is absolutely no reason why any of the straight part need be above deck and in the airflow. That is why I can claim the birdwing mast can present a swept-back, aerodynamically efficient shape along the entire length of the mast in the airflow.

When we talk about the most aerodynamically efficient shape for a curved rotating mast, in the past there have been limitations to the ideal shape because of the need to attach sail to the aft edge of the mast. The sail attachment system usually has some thickness to it that prevents the foil cross sections from having their most efficient shape. The most efficient cross sectional shape for a birdwing mast would be rounded at the forward edge of the mast and then ending at a point along the trailing edge - not the "D" shape generally preferred by straight mast folks. But because of the need to include the sail attachment system (which has thickness) to the mast’s trailing edge, the ideal aerodynamic shape for my masts has been elusive in my wooden prototypes.

Of course, there are other ways of attaching a sail to a mast that do not involve any sail track at all. On my last birdwing prototype I did try hoops for sail attachment so I was able to shape the trailing edge of my mast to as sharp a point as I wanted. Using slices of polyethylene from black trailer tongue wheels, I made hoops that were fairly light, strong and very slick that worked great in the Texas 200. From the helm, I was able to hoist sail or strike the rig without having to touch the sail at all and from any wind direction. I did hang on to the boom’s end when I could because it was always better to have it in my hand rather than slapping me in the side of my head, if you know what I mean.

Soon, however, there will be an even better way to attach sail to a birdwing mast. At this year’s WoodenBoat Show at Mystic Seaport, a retired racecar designer by the name of Hunter Gall showed me a section of sail track that he has been working on which utilizes carbon fiber infused nylon. This new material offers the strength and lightweight of carbon fiber but retains some of the flexibility and slickness of nylon. Hunter’s sail track is in its prototype stage but shows great promise. His track design is a modular one and currently made in 1’ sections that have puzzle joints at both ends so they can be built up for as long as a sail track needs to be. The beautiful part for me is that the stuff is flexible enough to bend along the curvature of my latest birdwing mast prototypes and it is very compact hiding nicely out of the airflow.

This new sail track material will help me whether birdwing masts are eventually built in spruce or in carbon-fiber/epoxy or both. In either material, the track can be added at the end of the manufacturing process rather than needing to be included in the molding or machining part of the mast making production. This translates into lower production costs whether birdwing masts are eventually made as high-end finished units in carbon fiber or as a possible spruce kit for backyard boat builders. Whether this will happen in my lifetime or not remains to be seen. I will say that at this point, though, I’m optimistic!

In the meantime, here are some pictures of me and Bernadette, my 14’ 8” John Welsford designed Saturday Night Special setting sail at this year’s WoodenBoat Show and a parting shot of her on the long way home back to Florida.

• lupussonic
    Massive member
    • May 2012

Re: Birdwing mast design to benefit from new sail track composite material

Is Kevlar really necessary for such a small mast? I wouldn't have thought the stresses involved warranted it.

Have you done any modelling to prove that a curved mast has any advantage over a straight one?

I ask because I too drew one out to sit on a prototype catamaran, without really knowing why.

Comment

• kenjamin
      • May 2005

Do not know where you saw in my text that I use Kevlar because I don't. I do use carbon-fiber/fiberglass sleeves and bamboo mandrels when making booms. They seem to work well together - very strong and light weight. I spin my booms on a barbecue rotisserie so the wetting out process produces less drips even when applying a single thick coat of epoxy.

I ran into a guy at the show who asked me if I was interested in doing a virtual aerodynamic study of my mast to which I said to him, "I've been looking for you." I'm very interested in having hard evidence of any and all aerodynamic advantages the birdwing mast may have compared to conventional straight masts. I tried to get FSU to test their patented design on the birdwing mast in their wind tunnel but they wanted to charge me $4000. Since that time they have sold the patent back to me, the inventor, but I still do not have $4000 laying around for wind tunnel testing. To me, it's fairly obvious that the birdwing is more aerodynamically slick than anything straight up in the airflow but hard evidence would be welcome and long overdue in my opinion.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

• lupussonic
        Massive member
        • May 2012

Sorry, brain fart re kevlar.

Virtual test sounds interesting...

My design is just a whimsy, and I have no actual facts of either it's efficiency, viability or strength. I drew out a large heavy weather capable fast wooden cat, around 60 feet LOD. If nothing else I'll build a 6 foot model and play with it.

Good luck..

Comment

• kenjamin
          • May 2005

Thanks for the good luck comment. I think my luck with my birdwing mast design has been very good so far considering the very small of money I have spent building and testing it over the last ten years or so. Most of that money was spent building boats and masts and that is what I like to do anyway. Now that I own the patent, I sometimes have spurts where I would like to see it developed at a much faster rate than the turtles pace that I generally fall into. The birdwing design has been more of a research hobby to me rather than some big money making scheme although I've come to believe that it is a good design and certainly worth exploring further. And I would not have any problem spending the extra money coming in as a result of cashing in on the patent if given the opportunity.

Feel free to experiment with the birdwing design in the UK. The U.S. patent #8,739, 720 should not affect you in any way unless you were to sell them (or use them) here in the U.S.A. - at least that is my understanding of the situation.

Comment

• Phil Y
            Banned
            • Apr 2010

I've loved your birdwing (much nicer than sickle) mast since I first saw it, nice work, keep going.

Comment

• kenjamin
              • May 2005

Birdwing mast design to benefit from new sail track composite material

There's been progress lately in some respects regarding the birdwing mast. My cousin's husband has graciously put together a website for all things "birdwing" that hopefully will generate more interest in the design. The address is birdwingmast.com

I also hired a new and upcoming boat designer by the name of JF Bedard who has recently completed drawing my next boat build in a 3D drawing program. His drawings include the first ever three dimensional representations of birdwing masts. The boat on which they are stepped (my next boat) is Captain William Short's Yangtze Pelican design which he conceived shortly before his death in 1986. Captain Short's drawings of the Yangtze were incomplete at the time of his death but the missing drawings were completed about four years later by his friend and business associate, Richard Campi. I have been in contact with Mrs. Muriel Short in regard to my plans to build the Yangtze with birdwing masts and she seems to be onboard with enthusiasm for the project. She said my masts looked "graceful" and in harmony with nature. And that made my day! I told Mrs. Muriel Short that I had thought about naming the new boat after Marisa Tomei originally but after speaking with Mrs. Short on the phone I felt the boat should be named after herself, the keeper of the Pelican boat legacy. She said that "Muriel" was too stuffy a name for such an exotic boat and suggested the name, Muri-Maru, which sounded perfect to me. Funny story, huh? I'll try to post a couple of the JF Bedard's Muri-Maru 3D drawings on this thread in the next couple of days and will also post a thread titled "Muri-Maru, a birdwing Yangtze Pelican ketch" which will feature just my next birdwing boat build.

So I am continually working on birdwing stuff but real progress has been slow by any measure. But I'm having fun and when you're supposed to be retired, that's all that really matters. That and staying out of hospital.

Last edited by kenjamin; 07-06-2017, 08:18 PM.

Comment

• skaraborgcraft
                Banned
                • Jan 2010

Lots going on......will watch with interest. Always good to see someone with passion for an idea to keep pushing.

Comment

• kenjamin
                  • May 2005

Here's JF Bedard's web site
                  Premium Builder of Inspected Passenger Tour Boats. Marine plywood and supplies. Recreational Boat Kits and Plans.

And as promised here's an example of what he can do...

Muri-Maru, a birdwing Yangtze Pelican ketch - my solution to the Texas 200
                  boat design by Captain William Short, mast design by Ken Ford, sail design by Jeff Frank at Sailrite
                  and rendering by JF Bedard

(It's not everyday that you can look at carbon-fiber birdwing masts)

Comment

• kenjamin
                    • May 2005

Here she is from the stern...

Forward cabin has been reduced to a cuddy so that side bench seats can extend far enough forward to comfortably sleep on. In Texas, in the middle of summer, you need to sleep where the air can get to you - cooling is everything. That and the ability to carry lots of ice! Boat will be self-righting, nearly unsinkable, and row-able in a pinch.
                    Last edited by kenjamin; 07-07-2017, 07:48 AM.

Comment

• WI-Tom
                      Seaside Expat
                      • Jan 2009

Just FYI, I'm not able to see any of the photos you have posted on this thread--just a little blank photo icon comes up on my PC.

Tom
                      Ponoszenie konsekwencji!

www.tompamperin.com

Comment

• kenjamin
                        • May 2005

Anyone else have a problem seeing the pictures? My phone, tablet, and laptop are all seeing pictures just fine. Try your phone, Tom.

Comment

• WI-Tom
                          Seaside Expat
                          • Jan 2009

Ha! No phone, and I love it that way. But for whatever reason, I can see the images fine now. Very interesting. I love to observe your experimentation and thinking. Very different from my own approach, which is the point of this forum, I think.

Tom
                          Ponoszenie konsekwencji!

www.tompamperin.com

Comment

• rudderless
                            • Nov 2016

Originally posted by kenjamin
                            My cousin's husband has graciously put together a website for all things "birdwing" that hopefully will generate more interest in the design. The address is birdwingmast.com
                            Access is forbidden.

Puzzled by what pivots the mast. Must be the boom, because it almost seems that the sail alone would want to pivot it the other way. Puzzled by what the curve is supposed to do to aid aerodynamics - belly shaping?. I suppose it gives the sail a more elliptical shape a la Spitfire wings, which is the ideal aero shape. I knew a guy who patented elliptical shape for paraglider wing(tips) around 1990 which they almost all have, although many mfr consider that an obvious feature and resisted paying.

Only one of your pictures shows that the mast is a blade, which is a separate aero issue. Nice if the angle of attack is right, although a case might be made for a teardrop profile. A straight mast could also be a blade, although maybe more whippy than a curve.
                            1 salvaged sailboat of waterlogged timbers reinforced by 12 ft of fiberglass seam tape
                            1 custom kayak of plywood stitched with copper wire and 12 ft of fiberglass seam tape

Comment

• kenjamin
                              • May 2005

Thanks for the heads up on the problem with the web site. You seem to have to find the link that lists the patent # to get the right site if you are doing a search for birdwingmast.

In answer to what pivots the mast "The answer my friend, is blowing in the wind." Yes, seriously, the birdwing's shape has so much length along the airflow that it simply weathervanes to face the wind direction. With the new boat, I hope to also control over and under rotation of the masts by means of some sort of yoke on each mast near deck level to see if there's any benefit to be had. But if a birdwing mast is somewhere near perpendicular to the water surface and simple bushings are in place, it will rotate in response to wind direction in order to face the wind. (even under bare pole)

In my retirement I mostly bicycle my 26 mile loop of my city and watch the sea birds. Sometimes at the top of the bridges I find myself speeding parallel to flying Ospreys or seagulls or Pelicans. I can tell you for sure that none of them do much flying with straight leading edges on their wings. When working to windward you always have to subtract the drag of the mast from your forward progress so why not start with a more aerodynamically slick shape and see what it can do? It is at least worth exploring in my opinion. The good part is that the birdwing is not a wingmast at all. It can set and strike sail like a regular mast and under bare pole it's nearly aerodynamically invisible. It does not misbehave at anchor like some wingmasts do.

I've got a picture of Bernadette in my front yard that also shows the blade-like structure of my latest prototype (her present mast). I'll try to dig it up for you and paste it in later.

And yes, I do think the curve does add strength to the overall structure of the mast. It also makes it possible (working in spruce) to machine in excellent accuracy for the taper of the mast.

Comment

Working...