Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: how important is it to you where your food comes from?

Default Re: how important is it to you where your food comes from?

Quote Originally Posted by Canoez View Post
    The fish were fed a commercial "pellet", so in terms of energy input and the food sourcing, it really wasn't a "sustainable" business. Environmentally, it was reasonably friendly, but in terms of input to output, there were questions.
    what was in the pellet? some farmed fish are fed nine pounds of wild caught fish to produce one pound of farmed fish, even if the wild caught fish were by catch, its hardly sustainable. . .
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    what was in the pellet? some farmed fish are fed nine pounds of wild caught fish to produce one pound of farmed fish, even if the wild caught fish were by catch, its hardly sustainable. . .
    I'm not certain. I think it was mostly vegetable protein - there may have been some by-catch in there, but I couldn't tell you. Wasn't my side of the process.
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward

Default Re: how important is it to you where you food comes from?

The problem with fish is, people who don't live near water shouldn't eat them. They aren't crops.

They are tasty, and nutritious, but they are finite.

Peace,
    Robert

Typically, by-catch is dumped. It has low or no value, and takes up room in the hold that could be filled with a high-value product. There is some change on this, but it is very slow.

Quote Originally Posted by amish rob View Post
    The problem with fish is, people who don't live near water shouldn't eat them. They aren't crops.

Peace,
    Robert
    Could you personally survive living in say, North Dakota? leave the temp extremes out of the equation, and just contemplate the local and slow food movements in the Dakotas. . .

Peace,
    Robert
    The "farm" that I worked at was looking to change that part of the equation. They had a breeding program that was concerned about the genetic bio-diversity of the fish they raised and made sure to trade breeding fish among other farms that raised Tilapia. Basically they started their breeding program with several dozen fish and literally raised thousands of them to market size.
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward

northern Georgia, or sometimes Mississippi Delta USA

Peace,
    Robert
    Look on Google Maps in satellite view at the area around Moorhead, Itta Bena, Isola, in Mississippi. All those blue-green rectangles are catfish ponds. The Chinese have cut into the business, but they are crops. Weird, those ponds don't look that color from ground level.

Could you personally survive living in say, North Dakota? leave the temp extremes out of the equation, and just contemplate the local and slow food movements in the Dakotas. . .
    Sure. I don't regularly eat ocean fish.

They got panfish in the Dakotas? I have a very simple diet. I hate eating as much as I hate sleeping. Terrible, terrible wastes of time.
    Also, I spent years weighing and calculating and examining and debating every bite or sip that I swallowed, so food kind of lost all its luster.

I dont know, though, I may die without avocados. Like, totally right there to grab.

Peace,
    Robert

Organic?
    Local?
    My wife pays no attention. But she does limit my intake of french fries.

My daughter in California pays attention to the final product. She shops the local farmers' market as a social event. But then all of our shopping is a social event.
    Life is complex.

I'm not vegetarian or vegan. And... though my sweetie might, at times, argue... slow either (though I could be suffering from confirmation bias... or Dunning-Kruger).

The rest? Yes. Esp. organic, fresh, and local. We are lucky enough to have urban grocery sources that cater to the likes of me. And we have farm to table sources as well. Plus we grow some of our own vittles. We also have the best meat shop in town right here in the neighborhood.
    Last edited by David G; 07-07-2017 at 03:05 PM.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

We work towards 100 Miles. Most foodies cannot strictly adhere to this, but as a matter of awareness it allows for ethical and sustainable choices when presented with options.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_100-Mile_Diet

Sure. I don't regularly eat ocean fish.

They got panfish in the Dakotas? I have a very simple diet. I hate eating as much as I hate sleeping. Terrible, terrible wastes of time.
    Also, I spent years weighing and calculating and examining and debating every bite or sip that I swallowed, so food kind of lost all its luster.

I dont know, though, I may die without avocados. Like, totally right there to grab.

Peace,
    Robert
    But you spend how much time doodling and reading/writing here?

In summer we grow pretty much all our veggies. We buy potatoes and onions and stuff that's just not worth the growing. Most of our meat comes from our own sheep or cows. We have a friend nearby who has started raising free range chickens on his organic apple orchard. They are truly delicious. Fruit from local,orchards, except bananas and avocados. We eat farmed salmon from Tasmania. It might be environmental vandalism, although the producers claim not, but it's wonderful. Me and the kids eat mass produced bread, my wife eats fancy bread from a local artisan baker. But we do go to the supermarket quite regularly.

We grow about half the vegs and greens we need, limited by a severe climate. We also grow and cellar our annual supply of potatoes (ran out of last year's crop in June). We have a yearround greenhouse with a separate solar collector that stores heat in an underfloor tank filled with water that's pumped through tubing under the floor (which is insulated from the surrounding soil.) We have tomatoes and fresh salad greens in December. I also dry tomatoes. I've tried to grow dwarf citrus, but it doesn't produce more than one or two seasons, so we buy most of our fruit. Also peanut butter, chocolate, cookies, etc.

We both hunt and had a freezer stocked with antelope and deer, but the deer herd in this area's in rough shape and last year I didn't draw an antelope permit, so we're nearly out. Other meat includes bison, lamb, and pork from an independent butcher shop that sources meat locally and from adjoining states. I cure and smoke meat for a supply of bacon, pastrami, ribs, pulled pork, etc. We eat salmon, Pacific cod and Gulf shrimp, all wild caught, that I buy in large packs and then vacuum-pack and freeze in small portions. I haven't fished for some time, but I'll get license this season and go for brook trout or rainbow, which are excellent smoked.

We gather berries and make jelly, jam and syrup. Mushrooms are used fresh or dried.

I have no illusions about being completely self-sufficient, but it's fun to try.
    We're merely mammals. Let's misbehave! —Cole Porter

Quote Originally Posted by Chip-skiff View Post

I have no illusions about being completely self-sufficient, but it's fun to try.
    i think what you got going on is admirable
    Last edited by Paul Pless; 07-07-2017 at 06:54 PM.

Humanely raised and slaughtered is very important to me but it's very expensive and the reality is, companies are allowed to lie in this country, so they do. Maybe someday, when I have some time, I'll raise rabbits and make sure it's done right but for now, I don't have time for it.
    In the US this perverted idea of “blood and soil” over “constitutional principles” is the most radical and anti-democratic and anti-Conservative idea I have heard in my lifetime.

~C. Ross

i think what you got going is admirable
    Big time.
    In the US this perverted idea of “blood and soil” over “constitutional principles” is the most radical and anti-democratic and anti-Conservative idea I have heard in my lifetime.

~C. Ross

I'm not reckless about the quality of paint I put to the boat either.
    Study Peace

Most of our dairy comes from Petaluma with our cheeses from there too, and Humboldt, Wisconsin, and parts beyond. There are local artisanal cheeses and we get as much of it as we can when available.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    But you spend how much time doodling and reading/writing here?
    I don't understand this at all.

Peace,
    Robert

Can someone explain "humanly slaughter" please. I have a steer we will be putting in the freezer when the grass runs out this year.
    Quote Originally Posted by George Jung View Post
    Don't under-estimate Jack. He's purty damned talented

Peace,
    Robert
    It was just a friendly jab..........
    You find eating a waste of time, but he insinuated doodling may be also, in his opinion.

Keep on doodling!

Quote Originally Posted by jack grebe View Post
    You find eating a waste of time, but he insinuated doodling may be also, in his opinion.

Keep on doodling!
    Ah-ha! I really am pretty dumb. Thanks, Buddy.

And, Phil, touché, Mate. That's funny. I really didn't get it.

Peace,
    Hungry and High on Sharpie Fumes

Can someone explain "humanly slaughter" please. I have a steer we will be putting in the freezer when the grass runs out this year.
    Maybe if you saw some videos on inhumane slaughter you would understand. . .

Maybe if you saw some videos on inhumane slaughter you would understand. . .
    I always assumed it was just a bullet to the head

Peace,
    Robert
    Just picking up on your comment that sleeping and eating are a waste of time.

Keep on doodling!
    Doodling is a kind of art, so yeah, I can get that, but time spent here, seriously, if you think sleeping and eating are a waste of time, I'd have thought you'd be busy with things a whole magnitude more important. It's fun here, occasionally educational, but it's not for the time poor.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Doodling is a kind of art, so yeah, I can get that, but time spent here, seriously, if you think sleeping and eating are a waste of time, I'd have thought you'd be busy with things a whole magnitude more important. It's fun here, occasionally educational, but it's not for the time poor.
    Well, I will allow you to determine what is valuable and important to you. Please extend me the same courtesy.

Other an coming here to engage with my friends on my phone, which I carry (sometimes), none of my time is any of your concern. And, you have no idea what things I'm busy with, so don't attempt to valuate them, eh?

I don't understand why my opinion matters to you so much.

Peace,
    Robert

Given how toxic we have made our environment, it is important to eat food that is as organic as it can be for the good of our own health. And given how awful and cruel the factory farming of animals is and the harm it does to or waterways (the sounds of the Carolinas as an example), it's important to try and buy meat from small, local farms. This means no fast food and virtually no meals out. And eating fish can be pretty unethical these days as well. It's a good thing it's getting expensive. Whenever I see the ad for Red Lobster's all you can eat shrimp I get very depressed.
    If he ever drinks the brew of 10 tanna leaves, he will become a monster the likes of which the world has never seen

Quote Originally Posted by Chip-skiff View Post
    We grow about half the vegs and greens we need, limited by a severe climate. We also grow and cellar our annual supply of potatoes (ran out of last year's crop in June). We have a yearround greenhouse with a separate solar collector that stores heat in an underfloor tank filled with water that's pumped through tubing under the floor (which is insulated from the surrounding soil.) We have tomatoes and fresh salad greens in December. I also dry tomatoes. I've tried to grow dwarf citrus, but it doesn't produce more than one or two seasons, so we buy most of our fruit. Also peanut butter, chocolate, cookies, etc.

We both hunt and had a freezer stocked with antelope and deer, but the deer herd in this area's in rough shape and last year I didn't draw an antelope permit, so we're nearly out. Other meat includes bison, lamb, and pork from an independent butcher shop that sources meat locally and from adjoining states. I cure and smoke meat for a supply of bacon, pastrami, ribs, pulled pork, etc. We eat salmon, Pacific cod and Gulf shrimp, all wild caught, that I buy in large packs and then vacuum-pack and freeze in small portions. I haven't fished for some time, but I'll get license this season and go for brook trout or rainbow, which are excellent smoked.

We gather berries and make jelly, jam and syrup. Mushrooms are used fresh or dried.

Doing amazing things in a tough environment.

Well, I will allow you to determine what is valuable and important to you. Please extend me the same courtesy.

Other an coming here to engage with my friends on my phone, which I carry (sometimes), none of my time is any of your concern. And, you have no idea what things I'm busy with, so don't attempt to valuate them, eh?

I don't understand why my opinion matters to you so much.

Peace,
    Robert
    Sorry mate, didn't really mean to get you all worked up. Peace to you.

I live in a market town with a population of around 10,800. We are lucky enough to have an excellent butcher, baker, fishmonger and greengrocer and consequently I can avoid the supermarkets. I buy local when I can, organic when I can..

I also have a milkman, who delivers fresh organic non-pasteurised milk from local cows to my doorstep.
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

We live in the country by the sea on several acres. There is a local fish co-op run by the fishermen with guaranteed local catch. If the weather is bad the catch is small and limited. Even for Aussie grown farmed salmon you have to know where it came from and which plant. I never buy anything farmed in SE Asia, due to WTO rules the same hygene restrictions do not aply. We grow a great deal of our own vege's, and swap with others who also grow their own. Even our milk and cheese is very local.

We have moved to a small village close to a rural city.
    When we bought the place , we were given a list of who to buy whatever from , everything fiercely local .
    And we were left with a big greenhouse , a working aquaphonic setup , and a big drying room.
    Plus an orchard and vineyard , and small winery.
    Something like 14 rainwater tanks , storing 115,000 litres of water , plus town water.
    The greenhouse was an instant success , supplying us and our appreciative neighbours with magnificent vegetables.
    And the aquaphonic tank is supplying us with silver perch for the table.
    Tonights dinner was all harvested maybe 30 minutes or less from the tank and garden , to the plate.
    And just magnificent !.
    This morning when I went down to the greenhouse a couple of neighbours were at the greenhouse door.
    They said they were just admiring it , but I'm sure they were on a raid.
    I gave them some stuff that was ready for picking , and really crisp from the clear overnight air , and they just ate it , there and then ! .
    That surprised me.
    And they did compliment me on my garden.
    Rob J.

Uncle Rob
    I think your family just got bigger.
    When can we visit?
    R
    Sleep with one eye open.