Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast

Thread: how important is it to you where your food comes from?

Default how important is it to you where your food comes from?

Organic?
    Local?
    Slow?
    Fresh?
    Vegetarian?
    Vegan?
    Sustainable?
    non GMO?
    Humanely raised and slaughtered?
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Default Re: how important is it to you where you food comes from?

Admittedly, I pay little attention to those factors.
    "Reason and facts are sacrificed to opinion and myth. Demonstrable falsehoods are circulated and recycled as fact. Narrow minded opinion refuses to be subjected to thought and analysis. Too many now subject events to a prefabricated set of interpretations, usually provided by a biased media source. The myth is more comfortable than the often difficult search for truth."

Default Re: how important is it to you where you food comes from?

We buy British grown or raised when we can. Humanely raised and slaughtered is now so important that it is enshrined in out laws.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Default Re: how important is it to you where your food comes from?

I don't pay much attention either. I do try to use the local butcher as the meat is local and is very good. I don't do organic much. My daughter did a science fair project a couple of years ago on organic fruits. There are still chemicals on them, just not as much. Which probably means they're grown in field right next to the non-organic and get some drift.

I know a couple of local beef growers and can easily get my hands on some "boutique" meat. But with the kids out of the house, there's no reason to have a quarter in the freezer.

I buy what fruits and veggies are in season too. Corn has been 6 ears/$1 lately, so it's definitely local and tastes great.

Quote Originally Posted by pkrone View Post
    I buy what fruits and veggies are in season too. Corn has been 6 ears/$1 lately, so it's definitely local and tastes great.
    The fresh corn has been great here, as well.... but it isn't local; it's been coming from Georgia

(Local corn doesn't appear until late July, at the earliest, up here)
    "Reason and facts are sacrificed to opinion and myth. Demonstrable falsehoods are circulated and recycled as fact. Narrow minded opinion refuses to be subjected to thought and analysis. Too many now subject events to a prefabricated set of interpretations, usually provided by a biased media source. The myth is more comfortable than the often difficult search for truth."

No vegetarian and no vegan, but emphatically yes to all the rest.

With very few exceptions, I could tell you the name of the person who grew and picked my food, and show you right where it grew.

I am way more concerned with what I put into my body than any decorations for the outside.

That said, my food bills are quite reasonable. It costs us less now than when we shopped the gross-ery and there were only three of us.

Peace,
    Robert

Locally grown and fresh when we can, which typically means organic by coincidence. Heritage varieties of food pops up at our local farmer's markets and farm stands regularly.

If you really think about food stock, I think there is very little that isn't GMO by terms of selective breeding and hybridization. In most instances, I think you'd be hard-pressed to avoid them.

We do what we can to avoid heavily processed foods. While they tend to be cheap, they don't tend to be healthy.

Vegetarian? Sometimes. Vegan? Sometimes. No particular effort to be so regularly. All things in moderation, however.

As with Nick, humanely raised and slaughtered was written into law here.
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward

I try to eat organic, and I try to eat local as the food tastes better. But am I a fetishist about it? No, although I do agree with Dr. Barry Spears that " food is the most important drug you can put into your body ".
    Gerard>
    ​Freeland, WA

Next election, vote against EVERY Republican, for EVERY office, at EVERY level. Be patriotic and stop the madness. Save the country.

Quote Originally Posted by Canoez View Post
    As with Nick, humanely raised and slaughtered was written into law here.
    where is here?

Why, here is there Paul, don'cha know? ;-)
    Gerard>
    ​Freeland, WA

Next election, vote against EVERY Republican, for EVERY office, at EVERY level. Be patriotic and stop the madness. Save the country.

Quote Originally Posted by amish rob View Post
    I am way more concerned with what I put into my body than any decorations for the outside.

Robert
    Yep, we have seen the photo.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Quote Originally Posted by Peerie Maa View Post
    Yep, we have seen the photo.
    Seriously the hardest laugh I've had in a while. It took half a tick, until I remembered my picture.

I picked a GOOD one to share, too. Hehehe.

Peace,
    Robert

Quote Originally Posted by Gerarddm View Post
    Why, here is there Paul, don'cha know? ;-)
    ;-P
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward

Quote Originally Posted by pkrone View Post
    I don't pay much attention either. I do try to use the local butcher as the meat is local and is very good. I don't do organic much. My daughter did a science fair project a couple of years ago on organic fruits. There are still chemicals on them, just not as much. Which probably means they're grown in field right next to the non-organic and get some drift.

I know a couple of local beef growers and can easily get my hands on some "boutique" meat. But with the kids out of the house, there's no reason to have a quarter in the freezer.

HEB rocks SO HARD.
    Rattling the teacups.

Unless I get an elk this year my only meat supply for 2017/18 is oinking on the the other side of the shop wall. I have been calling them fat pigs while checking the water so it may not be that humane.

The Otter and I have also switched over to cruelty free toilet items, locally made soap, Toms toothpaste and the like, and she has been sourcing her make up to be cruelty free.
    Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business.
    TOM ROBBINS, Even Cowgirls Get the Blues

Quote Originally Posted by oznabrag View Post
    HEB rocks SO HARD.
    I know what that is, now!

Peace,
    Robert

Mostly vegetarian, though Herself and I diverge a bit from our progeny. The meat, except if eating in a restaurant, is locally raised in conditions we approve, and slaughtered as humanely as allowed by our public health laws.

More of our veggies etc. come from places other than local farms though - and aren't reliably organic. Cost/benefit ratio applies, for all that we'd like to be able to fully go the local producer route.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

I really am incredibly fortunate in where I live because of food. Really.
    I live in one of the top ag areas in the world.
    There are nine kinds of peaches on my street!

Peace,
    Robert

Organic, weekly farmer's market. We buy sandwich bread that came from a factory, but that's the only processed food. Bake our own treats.
    Вещи меняются 6 ноября.

If given the choice... humanley raised and locally sourced makes a difference to me. There is a certain proudness that I feel when food tasted great and comes from individuals I know. I likening it to growing ones own tomatoes in the yard.
    Be wary of your critics, at peace with your decisions, and work hard to be a better man.

I really am incredibly fortunate in where I live because of food. Really.
    I live in one of the top ag areas in the world.
    There are nine kinds of peaches on my street!

Peace,
    Robert
    I hear you. Probably one of the biggest things we miss about living in the Sacramento area was when you could get a whole sack (!) of artichokes for a dollar.

I know what that is, now!

Peace,
    Robert
    Our local NPR station has a series of promos that consist of people relating their humorous first experiences in Austin.

Some guy drove in from Idaho, or somewhere, and when he got to the house where he was going to stay, he realized he had packed his toothbrush deep within the truck.

He asked his hostess where he could go buy a toothbrush, and she told him there was an Itchy Bee right down the street.

He drove around for an hour.

Rattling the teacups.

Quote Originally Posted by oznabrag View Post
    Our local NPR station has a series of promos that consist of people relating their humorous first experiences in Austin.

Some guy drove in from Idaho, or somewhere, and when he got to the house where he was going to stay, he realized he had packed his toothbrush deep within the truck.

He asked his hostess where he could go buy a toothbrush, and she told him there was an Itchy Bee right down the street.

He drove around for an hour.

See, I know this isn't true. Or, you just omitted the "y'all" because y'all don't hear it. Oldest Son got the BIGGEST kick out of the soft Texas y'all the ladies have a way of dropping on you so casually during conversation.

Well, the men, too, but he was more interested in the ladies, being as he is a young man. Poor kid.

Peace,
    Robert

See, I know this isn't true. Or, you just omitted the "y'all" because y'all don't hear it. Oldest Son got the BIGGEST kick out of the soft Texas y'all the ladies have a way of dropping on you so casually during conversation.

Well, the men, too, but he was more interested in the ladies, being as he is a young man. Poor kid.

Peace,
    Robert
    He'll manage.

Rattling the teacups.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    Organic?
    Local?
    Slow?
    Fresh?
    Vegetarian?
    Vegan?
    Sustainable?
    non GMO?
    Humanely raised and slaughtered?

"Foraged" is another category you might have included. Mushrooms, greens, abandoned fruit trees in the forest left over from the mining days, including pears, apples and plums...

At the store yesterday, wild caught swordfish (Atlantic - US) was the same price as Tilapia from China.

That was a really tough choice!

In season, we buy mostly local stuff - out of season it gets tougher. I miss raising my own pigs - best pork ever + I knew what went in & also that they were done in very humanely.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    At the store yesterday, wild caught swordfish (Atlantic - US) was the same price as Tilapia from China.
    fish farming, both domestically and internationally, tends to be hugely unsustainable, which is terribly pathetic because it doesn't have to be so. . .

of course many types of commercial fishing practices are ridiculously and disgustingly damaging to the environment

fish farming, both domestically and internationally, tends to be hugely unsustainable, which is terribly pathetic because it doesn't have to be so. . .
    You read Four Fish?

Peace,
    Robert

You read Four Fish?

Peace,
    Robert
    not yet, i've been meaning to do so
    will probably start in on the audio book version this afternoon now that you've brought it back to the top of my reading list

of course many types of commercial fishing practices are ridiculously and disgustingly damaging to the environment
    Completely agree. Swordfish (as I understand it) is only longlined - so relatively benign. As an aside, when I was a kid we ate swordfish at least once a week as it was cheaper than chicken!

re: farming - it is sad. As you say, it could be done right, but seldom is.

Lots of by-catch on a long line. At least it doesn't rip up the bottom the way a trawl does.

Well, yes. I worked for a business for about a year that was developing a recirculating aquaculture/hydroponics facility and I was doing facility design. The whole thing was a closed-loop system powered by an on-site co-gen facility that generated electricity and hot water to heat the place. The end products were Tilapia, hydroponically-grown fruits, vegetables and herbs, and fish manure which was composted and sold to local farmers to fertilize crops. The fish were fed a commercial "pellet", so in terms of energy input and the food sourcing, it really wasn't a "sustainable" business. Environmentally, it was reasonably friendly, but in terms of input to output, there were questions.
    -William A. Ward

Quote Originally Posted by robm View Post
    Lots of by-catch on a long line. At least it doesn't rip up the bottom the way a trawl does.
    True - but my understanding is that a large # of the by-catch get sold too. Maybe wishful thinking on my part...

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

food is medicine, medicine is food
    eat junk...get sick.

Thought about this last night as I ran to Sprouts to pick up dinner. Sprouts is kinda a hybrid of Whole Foods and Trader Joe's. Almost everything is organic, fair trade, or locally sourced. They have there own butcher with a lot of attention to organic non GMO grass fed. They even sell raw milk. Prices are very reasonable and it feels good to shop there. Staff is super helpful, since I shop "ala Minute" for the meal of the day I'm in there at least once a day, so they direct me to what's new and fresh. We never eat processed or fast food. So last night I picked up a couple of organic tomatoes, organic chicken cutlets, some asparagus, a couple of shallots, Kerry Gold Butter, some local lemmons, a bottle of crisp sav Blanc from New Zealand. Dinner for two $30
    This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment