Thread: Simon Watts boat building Alumni Out there?

Default Simon Watts boat building Alumni Out there?

Dear Fellow Boat builders:

For more than 20 years I traveled the country teaching boat building in six-day classes. I am interested in re-connecting with the students of these classes (and my former apprentices from my previous career as a furniture maker). In 2002, my apartment was looted and all the records and photographs (more than 3000) were stolen and have never been recovered.

I'd like to put together a few of these photos again. So if you have photos or other materials (including your recollections) please consider being in touch. You can contact me at Simonwatts@earthlink.net and at the same time, copy my son, Richard Watts at rwatts@uvm.edu.

Hoping to hear from you!

-- Simon

P.S. I'm going on 88 so don't wait too long.

Default Re: Simon Watts boat building Alumni Out there?

Good luck with making contact.
    Such a theft is just mindlessly stupid.
    What is anyone going to do with those records and photos?

Sorry I wasn't one of your students.

Have you posted on BoatDesign.net?
    Lots of interested builders on that site also.

Hi Simon, I wasn't a student of yours but we met, years ago, in Putney, a few moments after the arm of your sweater caught in your table saw. I was a friend of Jess Farmer and was visiting her while she was working for you. I think she repaired it for you. Your work inspired me to pursue a degree in furniture design and from there into boatbuilding.

I was too shy in my early 20s to make a solid connection with you, but have admired your work and loosely followed your career arc over the years.

Hi Simon,

Our paths crossed a lot no time ago, in Seattle I think? Sorry to hear about the theft, hope this finds yo otherwise well.

I am getting close to breaking ground on a shop at my house, we are still on Fidalgo Island, stop by if you are in he NW again.

Paul

Simon - not a student, but wishing you the best in reconstructing your records and connections. Hate to hear such a story.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Hi all, here is the article about Simon's apartment theft

But he is still writing and publishing about boats and furniture -- after 75 years of working with wood -- as you can see if you google him.

Thanks for any thoughts on the above..

-- Richard Watts (Simon's son).

I recall Simon Watts visiting the Apprenticeshop in Bath, Maine back in the seventies (maybe early eighties?) at the urging of Lance Lee. Lance and his helper Arista Holden have maintained a collection of practically everything Lance has ever had a hand in. Try contacting them here: http://apprenticinglandandsea.com/
    "... and the great shroud of the sea rolled on as it rolled five thousand years ago."

No, but we will. Thanks for the suggestion . Any others?

Yes, lot of sweaters went that way. Reminds me of a sign in a British armaments factory: "girls: if your sweaters are too long watch out for the machines: if they're too tight watch out for the machinists. Of course as the war went on an increasing proportion of the operators were women-- including my two sisters
    .S Watts