Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst ... 234 ... LastLast

Thread: How To Build A Pedal Car 2: A Thread

northern Georgia, or Mississippi Delta USA

Default Re: How To Build A Pedal Car 2: A Thread

Nice Robert.

Robert I don't know if you peek but as well as the pond yacht project I am dabbling with building a folding canopy for a carriage driving friends Pony Cart. Something along these lines,

Last edited by skuthorp; 03-22-2018 at 04:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    Robert I don't know if you peek but as well as the pond yacht project I am dabbling with building a folding canopy for a carriage driving friends Pony Cart. Something along these lines,

Oh, aye. Iíve seen that! I suggest you wait until winter, so you can plank her up while you eat onion soup. You lot get bovril there?

The cart top sounds intriguing, too. Details? Please.

Peace,
    Robert

Quote Originally Posted by Spin_Drift View Post
    This is a pretty amazing project. Miss you here, Robert.
    Thank you, Friend. Vaughn is getting antsy, so Iím pressing onward. I hope to be able to have it ready for softball season, so he can drive it around the tournaments.

Yes, to advertise!

Anyway, you know them. Heís the perfect kid to have a pretend car like this.

I still pop in every day or two, or if Iím alerted to something cool down here. I still lurk as regularly upstairs as I ever have, though I donít contribute there, either, anymore. Well, I WILL document the Sneakeasy rebuild, because, like this car, I owe that boat to the Forum. And, I promised.

Anyway. Bisy. Backson.

Peace,
    Robert

Apologies, but I have been delayed. I cut the sin out of my toe, and when I stand up, it weeps. Abundantly.

Maybe a week off my feet.

I got the whole rear end riveted together, and brackets cut and rivets for the rest of the frame. I got the body forms laid out, but not cut, and a steering wheel start.

Anyway. Real, mincing baby steps, now.

Peace,
    Robert

you know if you had been wearing shoes. . .
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

i'm just glad rob is free of his sin now.

Ironically, Paul, I WAS wearing shoes! Ha. Itís been raining crazy here (flash flood, winter storm warning, the whole nine), and I was out in it, wearing my boots.
    What, Iím of Portuguese descent and grew up on a dairy? Of course I have rubber boots.

Anyhow, set down the saw, ran in to grab the phone to snap a clever pic of my handiness, and ran back out in my erstwhile chanclas. Not work boots, mind, but house shoes. Chanclas.

Anyway, the jigsaw is fine, so,you know. They built them well 25 years ago. I bent the blade though, and ruined my shoes.

The part that really sucked was me trying to hop across the screen porch, slick with rain spray, through the SKR, into the house, up the back steps, and into the bathroom on my dead leg, which has been DEAD lately. Like bee buzz numb, you know? If you ever want to confuse a dog...

I was also supposed to be drawing yesterday, but went out to work instead. Guess somethingís telling me to draw? Haha.

Anyway, I started Moby Dick again this am. Man, I love The Sermon. By the time Iím done, the super glue will have started to peel off.

Peace,
    Robert

"The cart top sounds intriguing, too. Details? Please."

Making a model of few of the folding bits to see if it actually works, but I'm quite occupied around the property, trees down in a couple of gales and a woodshed to fill for winter. A bit on the plate at present, amongst all this I'm trying to get some sailing in.

But here is an artist. He desires to paint you the dreamiest, shadiest, quietest, most enchanting bit of romantic landscape in all the valley of the Saco. What is the chief element he employs? There stand his trees, each with a hollow trunk, as if a hermit and a crucifix were within; and here sleeps his meadow, and there sleep his cattle; and up from yonder cottage goes a sleepy smoke. Deep into distant woodlands winds a mazy way, reaching to overlapping spurs of mountains bathed in their hill-side blue. But though the picture lies thus tranced, and though this pine-tree shakes down its sighs like leaves upon this shepherd's head, yet all were vain, unless the shepherd's eye were fixed upon the magic stream before him.
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Ah, the Saco...
    Once, 50 odd years ago I paddled a canoe from Lake Winnipeasauke to Old Orchard Beach via the Saco, and we picked our food from the orchards and fields of farms along the way. It was mostly undeveloped and beautiful, as described.
    14 days... dawn to dark, we went home in a flatbed truck.

Man it's good to see you here again. If you recall in my capacity of Prophet of the Bilge (also self declared, by me, here today) I predicted you would return. But it's still good to see you. From years of hard earned experience, this I can say. The best practice is to leave and return, only do it frequently.

And did I say it's good to see your light on?
    Last edited by Lew Barrett; 03-23-2018 at 09:00 PM.
    One of the most enduring qualities of an old wooden boat is the smell it imparts to your clothing.

Oh, I’m not back back, just fulfilling a promise. Got a couple boat promises to fulfill, too, but those posts will be above decks.

I honestly miss interacting with some of the wonderful folks here, but there is simply too much that isn’t to my taste to wade through.
    Plus, I really, really don’t want to share any of my upcoming “wooden” “boat” projects, for fear of dragging the place down in flames, so since I ain’t a regular contributor elsewhere, I don’t feel justified posting here. One day I may again, but for now I am keeping busy and remain too tired of the same old same old to post or read regularly. I read through the posts today, though.

Groundhog Day.

For the record, I am a total liar. I worked on the car today...

E6625CA8-0BB0-4095-95B2-E863FA7791B4.jpg
    The basic relationship of the drive gears to all the rest. The rear axle will be at the rear of the frame.

6DA0CB1C-23AA-46CB-BFCF-BF841875100F.jpg
    Kinda more of the same, but closer, and higher. The idler hub is visible, and its brackets. Thmdriven gear on the shaft is,actually the drive gear from the idler hub. It’s a flip flip track hub. There will two longitudinal wooden frame members either side of the hub. One will affix the derailleur, and the other the brake caliper. The actual driven gear will be a seven speed freewheel. I will custom make an external, indexed shifter.

30249C93-7876-479E-A687-1055B157B829.jpg
    Basically where is is, now. The rest of the frame corners need to be bracketed and riveted, and the front end of the frame needs gluing and contouring, but this puppy is close!

Yes, I broke the superglue and started bleeding again, but it was worth it.

Peace,
    Robert

I like the circular saw idea Rob. An advance on Boadaciea's blades on the hub I'll be bound!

9307E5E2-B5B0-4526-9B2B-3ECFCEA03E83.jpg
    A slightly better view of the drive? Maybe. The longitudinals that will support the idler hub are cut and fit. They need brackets, too. And rivets. Sigh... What? What? Are you saying taptaptaptaptaptap?

All this jazz will actually be under the frame, but it’s nice to be able to see it to evaluate how it all fits together.

No new pictures of the front axle, but the ends of the beam are cut, and almost trimmed to fit the spindles. The front half of the frame is being glued and dowelled onto the frame now, and I hope to get the front of the frame and “springs” done in the next few days, so I can get them axle on...

Anyway.

Peace,
    Robert

P.S. This chainring is not the size I intend to use. My plan is to drive 17 tooth cogwheels on the wheels with 28 tooth chainwheels. Odd/even combos help chains “line up” better than even/even or odd/odd. I learned that when I raced single speed mountain bikes...

C179D2DD-CABD-4475-A8C7-8CDA9734463A.jpg
    Gratuitous stand-in crankset shot for Joe. No, the actual crankset will not be a double. Nor Dura Ace. Hehehe.

526DD3CF-3604-4072-9904-BB8D93179DA0.jpg
    The whole frame. Almost all the extra bits are on, so,I can smooth out the contours.

2A4063AF-F547-4108-B956-C9384506B3CA.jpg
    One of the ďsmoothedĒ areas, in the rough. This stuff will continue around the frame. These swoopy bits, combined with some strategic lightening holes and arcs will help look more like a real frame, I hope, and less like a rectangle of wood.

D39FBF15-485C-4FE8-9293-162AAF236AEE.jpg
    The rear, where the idler hub will mount. I just really love this pine with the beetle bores in it. It looks cool.

Anyway.

Peace,
    Robert

Keep up the good work Robert. I was thinking of the work restoring wood framed MG bodies years ago.

Looking great. Bated breath (yuck, eh).
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Thanks for the update, Rob - I was wondering how you were getting on

Rick

5F76A567-4559-4A22-9BA2-5FC6230D71F1.jpg

10F9FDD2-CE61-43AC-B73E-803106BDE0C9.jpg

01FD42BA-0973-4E89-B700-E01E71A86C64.jpg

Well, okay, then. This is not the rear axle, but just a barely long enough rod to hold the wheels. The rear track will be wider.
    A little more work, and I can get this dang thing rolling...

Peace,
    Robert

What size are those wheels, Rob?

Theyíre 700c, Jimmy. They are intended as ď29erĒ momountain bike wheels. They are all fronts. The drive gears for the rears will be bolted onto the disc brake mounting holes.

I plan to run some 45-50c wide tires.

Peace,
    Robert

Thanks, all my 700c wheels are too old to have disc brake mounting holes.

rob, is it going to keep that camber on the front wheels? seems like you'd fold those rims pretty easy like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy W View Post
    Thanks, all my 700c wheels are too old to have disc brake mounting holes.
    Donít make me break out the 27 x 1-14Ē rims! Haha.

Actually, it is only the cool, hip, fixie trend that made his possible, because kids started riding fixed wheels in the dirt and stripping cheap track hubs, so some genius devised the idea of bolting a gear on where a disc brake would go.

When I started this whole idiotic plan, it was the wheels I started with.

I wished I could have found some with plain bearings rather than cartridge bearings, but flat-bottomed holes are easy to drill in aluminum, but precision ground chromed races are a bit harder and cost more.

I wish there was a Shimano product that did what I wanted when I bought them...

Anyway.

Peace,
    Robert

Quote Originally Posted by AlanMc View Post
    rob, is it going to keep that camber on the front wheels? seems like you'd fold those rims pretty easy like that.
    Alan,
    Yep. And nope.

The reason for the camber is to emulate the early cars that featured the same. Back when cats were figuring out cars, the positive camber was the first trick to get the pivot points lined up. With the positive camber, the wheels pivot point is cheated to be under the kingpin.

The next evolution was canted kingpins and axles, but thatís a newer type car.

The narrow tires arenít as affected by whatever nastiness as much as a wider tire, and donít have the same bite a wider, softer, more modern tire would have.
    According to the few cats Iíve met since starting this who build and maintain real cars. Iíve met, for example, a guy who owns one of the cars on the Vintage race car thread. Haha. Internet rules!

As to the folding? Nah. First, I went though the wheels. They are quality double walled rims, with eyelets, and quality double butted spokes. I plan to run the disc side out (with no discs) which will put the shorter spokes under greater tension on the outside. That, coupled with the rounded profile of the tires I intend to use, and the extreme rear weight bias, and Iím sure itíll be fine.

I have, for example, personally jumped a 45+ foot gap on 700c wheels (I HATE the 29er. For jumping. I want a ďmountain bikeĒ with ď26 inchĒ wheels. Sigh...) and ridden any number of trails that would scare most people off their bikes.

Plus, if they DO fold, my buddy has a wheel manufacturing business. He makes hubs (and his own patent pending freewheel, which uses magnets...) and builds wheels. Worst comes to worst, Iíll go build some new ones.

Really, though, this is for he neighborhood, and the bike trail. We have 50 miles of trail nearby, and I run on them often. Be nice to have a chase car...

Peace,
    Robert

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    Keep up the good work Robert. I was thinking of the work restoring wood framed MG bodies years ago.
    Oh! Thereís someone around here has a real sweet one theyíre doing that to. I would love to have one of those. ďPoop, poop!Ē

Peace,
    Mr. Toad

Quote Originally Posted by hawkeye54 View Post
    Thanks for the update, Rob - I was wondering how you were getting on

Rick
    Happy to oblige. I mean, I DID promise.

Really, I think I just got tired of staring at it and thinking. Haha.

Peace,
    Robert

Too bad those 28" (fractional) wooden rims are so pricey. They have great tires available in White and cream
    (we could probably make them...)

Quote Originally Posted by amish rob View Post
    Alan,
    Yep. And nope.

The reason for the camber is to emulate the early cars that featured the same. Back when cats were figuring out cars, the positive camber was the first trick to get the pivot points lined up. With the positive camber, the wheels pivot point is cheated to be under the kingpin.

The next evolution was canted kingpins and axles, but that’s a newer type car.

The narrow tires aren’t as affected by whatever nastiness as much as a wider tire, and don’t have the same bite a wider, softer, more modern tire would have.
    According to the few cats I’ve met since starting this who build and maintain real cars. I’ve met, for example, a guy who owns one of the cars on the Vintage race car thread. Haha. Internet rules!

As to the folding? Nah. First, I went though the wheels. They are quality double walled rims, with eyelets, and quality double butted spokes. I plan to run the disc side out (with no discs) which will put the shorter spokes under greater tension on the outside. That, coupled with the rounded profile of the tires I intend to use, and the extreme rear weight bias, and I’m sure it’ll be fine.

I have, for example, personally jumped a 45+ foot gap on 700c wheels (I HATE the 29er. For jumping. I want a “mountain bike” with “26 inch” wheels. Sigh...) and ridden any number of trails that would scare most people off their bikes.

Plus, if they DO fold, my buddy has a wheel manufacturing business. He makes hubs (and his own patent pending freewheel, which uses magnets...) and builds wheels. Worst comes to worst, I’ll go build some new ones.

Really, though, this is for he neighborhood, and the bike trail. We have 50 miles of trail nearby, and I run on them often. Be nice to have a chase car...

Peace,
    Robert

thanks for the write up rob. that's a concept that never crossed my mind (the pivot point under the king pin joint).

Quote Originally Posted by Canoeyawl View Post
    Too bad those 28" (fractional) wooden rims are so pricey. They have great tires available in White and cream
    (we could probably make them...)

I have built two sets of beech rimmed wheels, and raced a flying kilometer on a bike so equipped. Wooden rims with sewups and 150 psi on a velodrome is as heavenly as cycling gets.

But, how about these great Contis? They come in 55s!

Peace,
    Robert

Quote Originally Posted by AlanMc View Post
    thanks for the write up rob. that's a concept that never crossed my mind (the pivot point under the king pin joint).
    One of the myriad things I learned from some of the actual smart rats here since I opened my mouth and announced I was building a car from scratch. You never know what you don’t know until you find out what you don’t know.

Peace,
    Hip To Ackerman (In A Very Superficial, Vague Way. I Know It Ain’t A Type Of Sammich.)

Originally, rubber tires were only available in white...

Peace,
    Hiding from Stoats

Quote Originally Posted by Canoeyawl View Post
    Originally, rubber tires were only available in white...

Peace,
    Hiding from Stoats
    I think that one is a myth. Light brown, maybe.
    Look at any period photos of pre 1900 cars.
    Last edited by birlinn; 03-31-2018 at 03:05 AM.

Wish I was as comfortable working with metal as with wood. I want an electric assist pedal trike only without the $5-10K price tag. Hey rob, can you make me one of these?

There is no rational, logical, or physical description of how free will could exist. It therefore makes no sense to praise or condemn anyone on the grounds they are a free willed self that made one choice but could have chosen something else. There is no evidence that such a situation is possible in our Universe. Demonstrate otherwise and I will be thrilled.