Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How To Build A Pedal Car 2: A Thread

Default Re: How To Build A Pedal Car 2: A Thread

Funny you should mention that. I have been contemplating updating the drawings to reflect the new frame-to-be.

Honestly, I had absolutely no idea what I was doing when I began. Most of my work has been powering through ideas becoming reality, which is often a stilted and halting process.

The scatterbrained nature of myself leads to some of the backtrackings, but most are from pure ignorance or the pain of invention.

The CTT drive, for example. I had to "invent" it, and the means to work it. My first several ideas were good, but when you invent and create impossible imaginings for vocation and avocation, the prospect of failing through to a workable solution isn't daunting at all.

So, now I'm at a point when the details of the drive are finally finalized. The new system will allow for better pedals, better drive cord leads, better strength, and light voter weight, all while making her a bit more like a real car.

The front of the body will receive the slightest of reshaping, to accommodate the new pedal mount, but it's ready to go, basically.

I need to suss out some stuff on the front end yet, but I've been working hard on boats during the fine epoxying weather.
    Baby steps on the car continue, though.

We are gong to drive this sucker soon!

Peace,
    Robert

I have had several projects over the years that changed completely as they went along, including a rebuild of half a house to include a roofed turret in the manner of a Bartizan.

Bumps……...

2 of my boys racing pedal cars on the weekend

Okay. It’s been a while, I know, but it has been a Dark Period of Many Failures. Nothing big, just everything. Hehe.

I have made a few false starts on final cartoons for the driveline. I want to get all the distances and alignments proper on a mock up before I go cutting up the car frame any more.

I am pseudo confident I have it all sussed out, finally, but only with MAJOR changes to everything. Haha.

New front axle beam, new drive line area crossmembers, and new seat position.

And, all these changes led to many hard looks at the car. The body just isn’t right. The body looks far too modern for the vibe, I think. I’ve begun to blend two ideas together, and allowed my newfound wanton lust for early Bugattis to colour my aesthetics.

So, new body, too!

I will return to a boxier, Edwardian shaped hood (bonnet) area, and some kind of less streamlined rear end. Perhaps a bobbed affair with a cylindrical fuel tank, or somesuch. More rudimentarily shaped, to be sure. Boxier, I guess, really.

So, with most of the ideas fully bloomed, the sketching and reworking will begin, and hopefully this dang thing will live soon. The current front half of the body will be recycled and mated to the aero form deal I started, to form a body for the future cyclecart.

Pictures to follow, soon...

Peace,
    Robert

P.S. The rear axle and rear wheel drive, and rear brake are all figured out, and they will work well. The look of them inspired the change of heart. Back to the original brief, and a simpler body to match the rudimentary nature of the drive.

Nice to see the thread surface again Rob.

Good on ya Rob, you're a gem. Keep on keeping on. I reckon you, me and Gyro Gearloose would make a great team.
    Give me levity, or give me deaf.
    Veni, Vidi, Vamoose

I'm glad that you are back onto it. I was wondering what had happened, but thought, like most organic things, it would set its own pace.

Looking forward to some pics
    There is nothing quite as permanent as a good temporary repair.

Quote Originally Posted by Stiletto View Post
    I'm glad that you are back onto it. I was wondering what had happened, but thought, like most organic things, it would set its own pace.

Looking forward to some pics
    Really, it was a series of false starts on the drive system that delayed me.

I kept complicating my simple idea until it became a nightmare. I swallowed my pride and simplified. I decided, finally to opt for simple and robust, though a bit pedestrian. Two false starts there led to the brainstorm.

Then, as I went through the collection of sketches I realized my main problem was I changed tacks midway through without really acknowledging it, so I ended up working at cross purposes.

I am back on track, now, I think to meet the original intent.

Sometimes these pauses seem failures or setbacks, but the reflection and experimentation proved valuable.

I will surely keep everyone up to date.

Peace,
    Robert

Well said, but we still need the sketches

Quote Originally Posted by Ross M View Post
    Well said, but we still need the sketches
    I know. I’ll have to rebuild from the start. I’ll put up a bunch of the old stuff here, and some new stuff, too.

Peace,
    Robert

AFC16649-2A03-4671-838B-DC407E3FCA37.jpg
    Well. Simpler and more with the Edwardian style and external chain drives. I will keep the other body parts for cyclecarts. There are a few planned. Whee!
    I decided the pedal car had gotten lost, though, and I wanted to return to the original idea. A simple, old tymey looking car. The sleek, nifty cars can come later.

0BA654C2-7523-4B31-9379-EDB1867C48E6.jpg
    The big, boxy front end will lead to a seat and cylindrical “tank”, but nothing else.

3DB29D88-1ED7-474B-BBF1-D7926CB16FEB.jpg
    The “radiator” grill will allow air to cool the rider/driver. There will be a wooden frame. I like the vee shape. I stole that from a car I saw from way back when.

96CBB2CA-7C04-45F4-B4C9-EC534D28F3E9.jpg
    This is the seateal area. The seat is a suspension/hammock type. The front is attached to a round crossmember, and the rear will attach to the curved frame. The effect is a sweet little bucket.

FB47A742-9863-42F5-80A1-6331527E3FC5.jpg
    Here’s another view of the seat. It will not be a Nemo towel in the final car. Some duck or heavy denim, more likely. Maybe even quilted and tucked...

Anyway. I started over from bare frame rails. The hanging pedals I devised will allow me to change the whole frame design, too, which will allow tons more leg room.

Peace,
    Robert

Watching again Rob.
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Looking good Rob! I like the sketches, very well done. Can't wait to see the finished car.

Ralphie

843909B2-4550-409A-B8B2-4FA245970EEA.jpg
    Well, here is a front view of the new body. The weird shapes in the center were some random cutoffs, and I echoed the shapes in the outer edges, too. The center vertical strut will be a pathway to direct thrust from a knee attached to the pedal/king beam.

9E150A60-6AB0-4FFC-9410-EFB5D3E60920.jpg
    Just a bird’s eye of the same thing, showing the bee shape of he grill. The two angles complement each other, and it will look a lot like the car I’m emulating. In my mind, anyway.

0CEDBF4E-EA45-478A-B0A5-10635A5A0585.jpg
    These knees support the rear seat beam. They carry a lot of weight, so they are hefty. Abaft the seat rail will be a tubular “gas tank” supported on cradles on the knee extensions.

BF1E7F95-5F4A-4DA8-8097-692198709FD7.jpg
    This is a bird’s eye of the seat area. The curve on the top will continue around to the sides. The seat will be made of heavy weight quilted cloth with a sleeve for the pole up front, and be attached to the upper edges of the seat, forming a little bucket.
    The beach towel mock up worked perfectly!

Anyway. Baby steps.

Peace,
    Robert

100% pure fun! Somehow, I hadn't seen this thread yet, but will certainly follow it now.

I did a quick Google on "Edwardian pedal car" and saw all sorts of vintage contraptions with chubby rich kids posing in the driver's seat.

Rob, as ever, I'm a fan. Enjoying the car's revised look, and will be watching this space.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Taylor View Post
    100% pure fun! Somehow, I hadn't seen this thread yet, but will certainly follow it now.

I did a quick Google on "Edwardian pedal car" and saw all sorts of vintage contraptions with chubby rich kids posing in the driver's seat.
    Haha. For a while I was looking on the web a lot, when I first started this, and I knew I had exhausted the web when my own thread started coming up as a search reault.
    Of course, then the photobucketed.

The chain drive cars on the vintage car thread just broke my brain, and I’ve been in a fever, since. Several iterations of driv system and body have evolved from my first sketches, with an especial amount of help from the rats here.

I should add, too,this is all done in my typical fashion. Headlong and on a shoestring. I’ve never been afraid to fail an idea into existence, but I sometimes stall out due to budgetary or mental blockages.

Peace,
    Robert

Quote Originally Posted by TomF View Post
    Rob, as ever, I'm a fan. Enjoying the car's revised look, and will be watching this space.
    Thanks.

I always have been like this. An incubation, then a manic dash. I live in fits and starts. Hehe.

Peace,
    Robert

Yesterday I found some swank fabric to make th seat bucket from, so I aim to sew it up today. We’ll see.

I forgot to post a picture of the “new” model we are mostly emulating. I wanted to go back to the Edwardian era as originally stated.
    I am sure other cars will follow, including a functional cycle car and a trike clone, if I live long enough.
    Anyway, the picture...
    241D5FBF-AEFB-488E-B06A-D0F6CEC4D83C.jpg
    The new, high, squarish nose looks very similar, and when he sits in the bucket, the proportions look right. I still intend to make the body panels from cloth mache, because it is strong and light.

I am wavering onhe transimssion, again, leaning toward compact and simple. I think I’m going to use my clutch, instead of a coaster brake hub, to allow reversing.
    Remember, the CTT with two freewheels cannot roll backward, so the drive needs disengaged to roll back. A coaster hub can freely roll backward, so adding a coaster as an idler was my intention. To many chains, too much drain, and too much space.
    The new (new) plan is to have a crossmember just ahead of the seat rail, and mount the tranny just behind it, under the seat. The clutch lever can then either be under the seat, between the legs, or actuated by an external lever, like a faux gear shift.
    There will be one longitudinal frame member whose function will be to keep the swinging drive pedals separate, one from the other as they swing, and to carry the drive cord tunnel.

The brake will still be a disk on the rear axle, actuated by an external hand lever.

All of this may actually happen one day...

Peace,
    Robert

P.S. Did I mention it’s too cold and rainy to paint or glue on the boat?

EE449168-DBF2-446D-AE06-526A8A96EB7B.jpg
    The “new” frame. I capitulated, and am using standard rotary cranks. I just want it to be done, and I can always futz with an alternative drive train later. The latest is a pair of cranks turning a long chain to an idler hub, which will drive a shorter chain to a multi speed freewheel on the drive shaft. Each end of the drive shaft will have a gear driving a chain to each rear wheel.

DEC3F1EF-AF41-400E-BEF3-9E128E55DECC.jpg
    Birdseye.

36AADBA7-FB8C-4547-AFC8-D025FDF5361F.jpg
    And, the front axle beam. It is still a little rough, but essentially done. The caster will be added to the axle with shims on the “springs”. Yes, the tape is temporary...

I promised to update this project, for all those who helped along the way.

Peace,
    Robert

Quote Originally Posted by amish rob View Post
    The “new” frame. I capitulated, and am using standard rotary cranks. I just want it to be done, and I can always futz with an alternative drive train later. The latest is a pair of cranks turning a long chain to an idler hub, which will drive a shorter chain to a multi speed freewheel on the drive shaft. Each end of the drive shaft will have a gear driving a chain to each rear wheel.

Birdseye.

And, the front axle beam. It is still a little rough, but essentially done. The caster will be added to the axle with shims on the “springs”. Yes, the tape is temporary...

Peace,
    Robert
    Nice to see you around, Rob. Truly.
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Canoez View Post
    Nice to see you around, Rob. Truly.
    Yep. Yep yep yep.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

northern Georgia, or Mississippi Delta USA

Thanks Robert. I agree with Canoez.

Quote Originally Posted by amish rob View Post

Birdseye.

Peace,
    Robert

Excited to see progress Rob. I had hoped you would be back with this project.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Tom

You're back? Great to see you around again.
    If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.
    -Henry David Thoreau-

Just a quick question regarding post #47 and the "open" front grill to cool the driver.

Won't this open front end being pushed down the road act as a giant air scoop or drouge that becomes the equivalent of pushing an open parachute down the road and making the drag coefficient "H-E-Double Hockey Sticks"-ishly hard on the "engine's" legs?
    "Unrepentant Reprobate"
    Lew Barrett

northern Georgia, or Mississippi Delta USA

The front section will be open at the rear also so air can flow through.

Yes, it would seem I’m back. Shoot, I made it to page three like “that”!

But, seriously, no. I only wanted to update all those who helped me along and cared about the project.

The same old same old prevails here, and it still ain’t my cuppa tea. Everywhere on the internet is like this, didja know? Hehe. I don’t get it.
    Well. I don’t condemn it, neither, I just don’t cotton to it. I do enjoy reading the “arguments” here, though.

I remain grateful to this place for the wonderful friends I made, and I truly hope everyone takes the opportunity to make the Bilge what they want it to be. I don’t like the tit for tat name calling, so I’m still ghost. I do like all the dog and “my town” photos.

However, comma, I remain The Emperor For Life, For Life. I declared it, and nobody else did. Honestly, I’m not sure anyone else is the right combo of dumb, smart, and silly to be the EFL. One day, when I really can’t walk anymore (it’s getting closer), and hopefully haven’t gone totally crazy (also seeming to race toward me), I’ll come back full time. And you’ll all be sorry.

Meantime, I’ve got life to live, berms to build, and cranes to erect for treehouses...
    3A116AAD-FAF4-46BC-8D96-923C24A3CB21.jpg
    The back corner of the pump track. The ultimate goal is to be able to circle the yard without pedaling...

39031B66-C314-4928-9B31-31861B9523F2.jpg
    The crane for the treehouse.

Oh, and rowboats to row, a duck punt to punt, a sailboat with a little cuddly and mizzen sail about to become, a powerboat needs work, and this trimaran thing. Which will likely be two or three trimaran things.

Bisy. Backson.

Peace,
    Robert

P.S. Re the drag. This is a pedal car for a kid, that an adult will be able to drive. The speeds we’re looking at are well sub 20 mph, more like 5-10. Below a certain speed, aerodynamics plays virtually no role, and when it’s hot, those legs will need cool air.

P.S. pt.2 I have located an older “edger” motor, which is like 2-1/2 horse or somesuch. With it, we will make a replica of the Bloody Mary for the squirt. With an idler clutch on the drive belt. Another great idea I got from this thread. Well, the old one. Hehe.

Hiya Rob, it's great to see your light on!
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Good to see you back, and on track with the wee car.

Quote Originally Posted by birlinn View Post
    Good to see you back, and on track with the wee car.
    Plus 1 From me, too, Rob - I like the progress you have made !!!

Rick

CED8C05A-108F-41E9-9749-37F7D622A170.jpg
    The updates are just for you, Friends.

Here’s the front of the frame, roughly. The back half is all glued up and I made a bunch of angle brackets for mounting bits and what not.

I also had a brain storm regarding the rear axle. Being as both rear wheels are driven, and have bearings in them, I can simply use a dead axle, firmly attached to the frame.

If I become any more efficient, this thing will build itself.

Peace,
    Robert

This is a pretty amazing project. Miss you here, Robert.
    Choose wisely -Treat kindly...

A secret to a good marriage is to have a quick mind and a slow mouth...

S/V ORCA 38' Herreshoff Ketch

AB70E29C-772D-4094-A95E-7B052E6DCA09.jpg

A2BA2049-39D1-40C5-B634-8F84074825E5.jpg

The same thing, twice. Yes, I know the frame is uneven. The other side is perfectly flat, and after it’s all assembled, I’ll true up this side.

Anyway. This is a corner. There will be plates outside under the rivets to “match” these.

Baby steps.

Peace,
    Robert