Thread: Twenty years ago, I launched this boat.

Default Twenty years ago, I launched this boat.

Back in the summer of 1997, I finished building a 14' Sam Devlin CACKLER stitch and glue. Twenty years later, it's still going strong. My wife and I just had it out on the lake this afternoon, reminiscing about raising our kids on this boat. Lots of fun times. It is by far the ugliest boat I've ever built and probably the most practical for family/fishing use. Stable as a rock, my land-loving wife likes it best of all my builds. Powered by a 15 hp 4-stroke and a trolling motor, it gets us there and back. Built with marine ply and glassed outside but just epoxy sealed on the inside, it's held up to the test of time. Twenty years spent outside in the summer on a trailer. The first fifteen years it spent winters in the garage. The last five years, covered up and buried in snow outside.
    Next winter, it'll be going into my shop for some TLC. One bilge runner is starting to rot and the transom needs re-enforcement. All in all, a good old boat.

I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

Default Re: Twenty years ago, I launched this boat.

She's yar. Thanks for the photos.

KB

I could have 'built her fancy' but wanted a boat that could take the abuse of kids clambering in and out, a boat that I could cut bait on the seats or the deck, a boat I could run up on the beach for easy boarding. Exterior latex house paint was used throughout, including the bottom. Stuff really holds up!
    One of these days, I'll have to replace her. I'd want something a bit lighter and possibly electric powered.

Nice, Rich. Real cool that you are sharing this. Thanks.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

That's awesome. So much for the "common knowledge" that wooden boats are maintenance night mares that don't last.

Twenty-some years ago I launched this one

She, or her cuddy cabin rebuild was listed in WB's Launcings or Relaunchings or both.

I am converting her to a semi-V and re-painting. After all these years the wood is sound as ever
    http://boatladyc.blogspot.com/2016/0...dy-c-2016.html

Quote Originally Posted by Mo 'Poxy View Post
    That's awesome. So much for the "common knowledge" that wooden boats are maintenance night mares that don't last.
    To my view this success is more an endorsement for using laminations rather than solid wood, and covering it all with epoxy and paint. You can't really throw it into the same group as carvel built in terms of maintenance requirements.

Well, there are a few around here that like to disparage boats made of plywood as somehow "less than" solid timber boats and destined for very short lifespans.
    Steve

Boats, like whiskey, are all good.
    R.D Culler

Any boat is only as good as those who care for it. Solid timber, plywood or fiberglass... a neglected boat is going to suffer.

Forty years ago, I built and launched this 22' stripper, based on historic plans from the Adney and Chapelle book on bark canoes and skin boats.

At one point I sold it for a while because I didn't have a place to store it. Then I later bought it back and it has spent the last few years up in the loft over my garage getting a new paint job/facelift, new gunwale wrappings and some varnish. Over the holiday, I re-launched it at our cabin up north. It's a bit of an albatross, since it isn't the most practical canoe to own, and it does make for a pretty poor solo boat if there is much wind, but it certainly has plenty of room to stretch out! With a crew of four it moves along pretty well. It's even pre-epoxy, using ten ounce glass and polyester resin, but shows no fractures, delams or other problems. We'll use it for a while, and when I get too old to deal with it, I'll sell it to a fur trade reenactor group.

^ That is a lot of canoe!

awesome
    A ship is safe in the harbor, but that's not what ships are for.

http://www.seadreamerproject.com
    http://www.youtube.com/c/SixPointsWoodWorks