Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 678 ... LastLast

Thread: Adventure Motorbike

Default Re: Adventure Motorbike

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    The point was that behind the K100 fairing there was/is a complete dead air space, no buffeting .
    Oh, I followed. Is that the bike that had the electric uppy-downy windshield?

Peace,
    Robert

Yes, I think it was electric but it could have been mechanical ??
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

The one on my BMW was electric. Very slick, just a little rocker switch on the handlebars.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    The one on my BMW was electric. Very slick, just a little rocker switch on the handlebars.
    Yes! I thought so. Very cool feature, regardless of the actual value.

Peace,
    Robert

Discussion of screens on an "adventure" bike thread seems strange... but, "adventure" is where you find it. Some of the other fads that turn me off... but, by all means go ahead... are sponsors stickers everywhere and replica rally towers on non-race bikes.

That said... my small KTM is covered in stickers... gradually getting fewer, as I peel them off. I inherited them, but, to be fair, my mate, Rossi, did use the bike as a race bike (he didn't own it, he was sponsored to race it).

Having been over the handlebars, a number of times, I'm not in the slightest bit interested in having a screen or rally tower there. It's just added, unnecessary weight over the forks. It's bad enough that I need to strap a couple of bags up there... one with tools, bicycle pump, water treatments, etc and another with spare tube and tyre levers on the front mudguard.

Rally screens aren't there for wind protection, they exist solely to get a rolling road nav strip up near the sight line. No-one uses that rolling strip instructions setup for anything other than distance races.... but some guys want to pretend. I rarely bother to use route instructions on my GPS.... which I don't want distracting me from the "stay alive" zone. Eyes on the trail / road is the go.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

I'd rather look back at my life and say "I can't believe I did that" instead of being there saying "I wish I'd done that"

btw - re smoking whilst riding. A mate, 'Henry' Lawson, used to smoke whilst riding with a full-face helmet. He'd drilled a 1/2" hole through the chin piece of the helmet. He and I bought our first bikes at the same time, from the same mate. I bought a 500cc Matchless single (I'm ignoring the 1950's Vespa 150cc scooter I used as a bush-basher before I got my licence)... and Henry bought a 650cc Triumph twin. Henry was one of about 20 people I knew who didn't make their 21st birthday. He was found beside his bike, off the highway a day or so after he crashed.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

I'd rather look back at my life and say "I can't believe I did that" instead of being there saying "I wish I'd done that"

A friend of mine almost ended the same way, he hit a 'roo on his Bonny which shot him off into the scrub where after 50 yards of avoiding trees he hit a huge boulder. The bike stayed there, he went over the top and landed in the middle of the road again. A Lucky Man..... in a way.

A car load of aborigine fellas came along and picked up the body to take it to the cop shop.... then he groaned and they took him to the hospital instead. He remembered hearing ,"Hey, he ain't dead !"

I caught up with him at Cairns Base Hospital. Bits of wire and tubes emerging from his face everywhere. A lesson in helmets.

I tossed my open face and have worn a full face ever since.
    Grateful Dead

The K100 fairing could be adjusted up slightly to allow a small flow of air in under the screen to equalise that low pressure zone.
    Like this?

Rattling the teacups.

Yes, very similar.
    Grateful Dead

But not a car.

Peace,
    Robert

A friend of mine almost ended the same way, he hit a 'roo on his Bonny which shot him off into the scrub where after 50 yards of avoiding trees he hit a huge boulder. The bike stayed there, he went over the top and landed in the middle of the road again. A Lucky Man..... in a way.

A car load of aborigine fellas came along and picked up the body to take it to the cop shop.... then he groaned and they took him to the hospital instead. He remembered hearing ,"Hey, he ain't dead !"

I caught up with him at Cairns Base Hospital. Bits of wire and tubes emerging from his face everywhere. A lesson in helmets.

I tossed my open face and have worn a full face ever since.
    I threaded the needle like that on the dirt road in from Woodstock to Wyangala Dam. I was running late... in a hurry, meeting up with the girlfriend and others, who were camped at the Dam. Came flying over a sharp crest on the R90S, discovered a 90 degree bend that I had no hope of making - and no hope of stopping in the loose gravel, went between two large boulders with inches to spare, calmly rejoined the road.... and continued on my way. It could have been ugly.

I'd fitted a new two into one exhaust to the bike that day. It blew the baffle out in the Blue Mountains. I went back, waited for it to cool, stowed it and continued on my way. The bike was totally unbaffled.... sounded lots louder than any Harley I've heard, with just a megaphone shaped pipe on it. At 200, (private road, of course) the sheep in the paddocks beside the road were running from the noise - at night.

Never did find the friends that night (they heard me looking for them).... ended up at another beach around the dam edge. Couple of guys camped there offered me a share of the flagon(s)... and I slept on the beach, under the stars, in my bike gear. Ended up joining some locals on a boat on a shag shoot the next day - organised by the local copper. I'm not into shooting non-ferals, but I must admit, I did bag a duck.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bigfella View Post
    Discussion of screens on an "adventure" bike thread seems strange... but, "adventure" is where you find it.

Having been over the handlebars, a number of times, I'm not in the slightest bit interested in having a screen or rally tower there. It's just added, unnecessary weight over the forks. It's bad enough that I need to strap a couple of bags up there... one with tools, bicycle pump, water treatments, etc and another with spare tube and tyre levers on the front mudguard.
    Having been forcibly ejected many times from bikes fitted with fairings/screens, i probably should consider myself lucky that in no way did said fitment impede my velocity upwards and forwards over the bars.
    I feel wind pressure from a steady 80km/50mph upwards and with the upright and wide open arm trail stance, more than a few hours at this speed, on a highway, gives my back issues, and there is no way that a bolt on clear plastic screen can be considered to be an attempt to look cool, its there to serve a function, nothing else. Probably not suited to those riding through the aforementioned gullies of monsoon elephant piss, but lesser mortals may find one useful, or not. Actually those twin rear shocks give my back more shocks, i swapped out the originals for some Hagon units on one of my previos XLs which helped some.....it was never a great rear end for hard off road work, but i still have not rode a mono-shock version to compare.
    Talking of loading, it would seem most tank-bags are for large flat tanks, anyone doing stuff for slim trail tank shapes i should be aware of ? Stuff has changed so much in the 20+years i have been away from this scene.

Quote Originally Posted by skaraborgcraft View Post
    Having been forcibly ejected many times from bikes fitted with fairings/screens, i probably should consider myself lucky that in no way did said fitment impede my velocity upwards and forwards over the bars.
    I feel wind pressure from a steady 80km/50mph upwards and with the upright and wide open arm trail stance, more than a few hours at this speed, on a highway, gives my back issues, and there is no way that a bolt on clear plastic screen can be considered to be an attempt to look cool, its there to serve a function, nothing else. Probably not suited to those riding through the aforementioned gullies of monsoon elephant piss, but lesser mortals may find one useful, or not. Actually those twin rear shocks give my back more shocks, i swapped out the originals for some Hagon units on one of my previos XLs which helped some.....it was never a great rear end for hard off road work, but i still have not rode a mono-shock version to compare.
    Talking of loading, it would seem most tank-bags are for large flat tanks, anyone doing stuff for slim trail tank shapes i should be aware of ? Stuff has changed so much in the 20+years i have been away from this scene.
    I did a fast 1,800 km or so trip one weekend, for a WBF EBS, not long after I got the Funduro and I suffered badly from buffeting. Haven't done anything similar on it since... it's a town and nearby environs bike now... but I've done a lot of fast road stuff on the Super Enduro and some on the EXC... and had no issues at all with buffeting.

Nosce te ipsum

My whole notion was simply to search for alternatives to finding adventure on a scooter, which has limited range.

Guys, I'm flogging a scooter up and down foothill twisties. I have an overnight planned for mid week. Weekends? Ew, no. I stay home.

My days of dirt biking are done, but we have about 148,987 miles of fire road and double track around in these hills, some of which follow old log flumes. Lovely stuff, but a bit much for the scoot, and a bit of a snore for BigFella types, I'm afraid.

But. I have some amount of tarmac connecting areas, and there is quite a bit of space between objects out here, sometimes, so interstate ability is a plus. I'm convinced there is no perfect motorbike. This threads has sent me lusting after dozens of models.
    My wife and I agree, for example, Husky's have a certain handsome quality about them. We both enjoy their aesthetic.
    We also agree that we probably need a side car rig one day, preferably with a driven side car wheel.

Anyway. I just may end up getting some kind of motorbike to take trips longer on. That TAT looks fun, eh? I'd be pretty happy with a backroads trip across the country, though. I am sort of a puttery type guy, anyhow.

This thread has brought me tremendous joy. I enjoy all the differences between us as we argue the same basic points.

Thank you, everyone.

Peace,
    Robert

Quote Originally Posted by Old Dryfoot View Post
    Big, Yamaha single.

What model? New or vintage?

I only ask because I want one!
    Rattling the teacups.

Note how that air filter will be swallowing gallons of elephant pee! I like that, not sure the seat would work, but its a craker to look at.

It's an XT500, not sure of the year.
    Nosce te ipsum

`nother one

Nosce te ipsum

Uh-oh.

Rattling the teacups.

My mate had an XT500 lump in a "Eric cheney" trails frame. It had twin exhausts from a VW beetle either side of the seat, way before things like the Honda Dominator came along. It was well known for having a bark, as well as "tweeting" when on a dead throttle, he used to ride that thing for miles on the back wheel......

Had a similar look to the one above.

My mate had an XT500 lump in a "Eric cheney" trails frame. It had twin exhausts from a VW beetle either side of the seat, way before things like the Honda Dominator came along. It was well known for having a bark, as well as "tweeting" when on a dead throttle, he used to ride that thing for miles on the back wheel......

Had a similar look to the one above.
    OK, but not for me.

The one in #230 is stone stock, and priced at an affordable 1 Kilobuck.

As such, it is a danger to my domestic tranquility, and further residence under this roof.

I suppose I could simply buy it, grad a sleeping bag and a few other ods and ends, and spend the rest of my days criss-crossing the country on the TAT . . .

Hmmm . . . I wonder what's the downside?
    Rattling the teacups.

Quote Originally Posted by oznabrag View Post
    OK, but not for me.

The one in #230 is stone stock, and priced at an affordable 1 Kilobuck.

As such, it is a danger to my domestic tranquility, and further residence under this roof.

I suppose I could simply buy it, grad a sleeping bag and a few other ods and ends, and spend the rest of my days criss-crossing the country on the TAT . . .

Hmmm . . . I wonder what's the downside?
    I have found it astonishing just how much these old bikes sell for when in good or restored condition. Even basket case XL250 have been fetching 3 times what i paid for clean running examples back in the day. I have a friend slowly filling a double garage with these old bikes as a back-up pension. Possible you might get a better return on that $1000 than some other investments. You might have a higher value on home harmony though......

I have found it astonishing just how much these old bikes sell for when in good or restored condition. Even basket case XL250 have been fetching 3 times what i paid for clean running examples back in the day. I have a friend slowly filling a double garage with these old bikes as a back-up pension. Possible you might get a better return on that $1000 than some other investments. You might have a higher value on home harmony though......
    Craigslist is littered with better examples in the 2-4K range.
    Rattling the teacups.

Note how that air filter will be swallowing gallons of elephant pee! I like that, not sure the seat would work, but its a craker to look at.
    Yeah, looks good... but you wouldn't want it over a proper bike, eh? That oil breather would kill the engine even before the air filter got soaked.

There's a reason why modern bikes went mono-shock - 12" or so of suspension travel. Spindly front forks bend. Electric starters are sooo nice to have in tricky terrain. Just ask some of the non-leccy XR Honda lads what it's like to be stalled on the side of a steep hill with a long way to fall.

I probably shouldn't mention the lack of indicators, mirrors or tail/brake lights, as my main bike in Asia has none of those either.

And, you are right... that seat isn't going to work. Neither is the poxy little fuel tank. At least it'll be OK in sand, with all the spare fuel being carried back there.

Agreed..but...

It's your way or the highway Bigfella, right?

See what I did there?

Quote Originally Posted by lupussonic View Post
    Agreed..but...

It's your way or the highway Bigfella, right?

See what I did there?

Hey, I've got no problem with what you ride. Just my view on it. Some of my rides over the years have been pretty crappy... and no bike does it all. The Super Enduro comes close... but it's still too heavy for the really slippery stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by amish rob View Post

Well, I was out doing a combination range test and stuff acquisition run, and I snapped this picture.

I had a grand adventure.

Peace,
    Robert
    That's the kind of territory I did most of my long distance cycling. Love it.

My first bike was a 1959 James Captain.
    My fastest bike was a Honda VRF 850.
    My biggest bike was a BMW 1200.
    My longest kept bike was a BMW 650 boxer
    But the bike for my retirement here in the remote part of the Philippines where 50% is on dirt roads is a Honda Beat 110cc step through belt drive automatic.

Last edited by GrahamH; 07-16-2017 at 09:11 PM. Reason: reformatted pics

Quote Originally Posted by LeeG View Post
    That's the kind of territory I did most of my long distance cycling. Love it.
    Yeah, Lee, the scooter, and theoretical larger adventure bike are to get me back on the roads I love. I can't pedal my bike in anger anymore, so some of these roads have been inaccessible for a while.

This road, by the by, was part of the course when the Tour of California came through here.

Peace,
    Robert

here's mine XT600.. the son of XT500

all packed up for four days of riding gravel from connecticut up through vermont

pics not showing here GrahamH
    Welcome to the Forum, good place to discus bikes the WBF is
    "I beseech you, in the bowels of Christ, think it possible that you may be mistaken." (stolen from TomF )

Quote Originally Posted by coelcanth View Post
    here's mine XT600.. the son of XT500

all packed up for four days of riding gravel from connecticut up through vermont

Sweet!

Peace,
    Robert

Quote Originally Posted by amish rob View Post
    Sweet!

Peace,
    Robert
    you know the more I read about the "right" way to do things the more I yearn for Ed Marsh. Run wat ya brung bro!
    Last edited by B_B; 07-16-2017 at 09:26 PM.
    "I beseech you, in the bowels of Christ, think it possible that you may be mistaken." (stolen from TomF )