Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 789 ... LastLast
Results 246 to 280 of 432

Thread: Adventure Motorbike

  1. #246
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Northern NSW Australia
    Posts
    63,731

    Default Re: Adventure Motorbike

    Yep, Ed Marsh is doing it ....big time!
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

  2. #247
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    MD
    Posts
    41,951

    Default Re: Adventure Motorbike

    Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    True, what ever you own is your adventure bike.

    That was fun

  3. #248
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Livin' in Oz
    Posts
    53,083

    Default Re: Adventure Motorbike

    Quote Originally Posted by B_B View Post
    you know the more I read about the "right" way to do things the more I yearn for Ed Marsh. Run wat ya brung bro!
    Your link isn't working on my machine. I guess if you run what ya brung, but it don't work, it ain't no good.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

    I'd rather look back at my life and say "I can't believe I did that" instead of being there saying "I wish I'd done that"

  4. #249
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    central cal
    Posts
    10,735

    Default Re: Adventure Motorbike

    Quote Originally Posted by B_B View Post
    you know the more I read about the "right" way to do things the more I yearn for Ed Marsh. Run wat ya brung bro!
    Well, there was no real query about "right" way, just an open ended question about what type of bike would be everyone's ideal or dream or wish.

    After having put a few miles on a scooter being adventurous, I know it's not for me for long trips. I simply need more range from the bike. Jerry cans will help, but a moderately sized bike that can handle multiple surfaces is really the goal.

    Peace,
    Robert

  5. #250
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    23

    Default Re: Adventure Motorbike

    Thanks BB.
    Post should be showing photos now.
    Reason for the Honda Scooter. Lots here so repairs/parts are everywhere. Only 1,200 US dollars brand new, three yr warranty.
    Handles dirt, mud and tarmac. Belt drive protected, a chain here with an oiler would be crusted up in the dry, dusty season. Light weight and seems to go for ever on one litre.
    Been big, been fast, now want easy.

  6. #251
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Livin' in Oz
    Posts
    53,083

    Default Re: Adventure Motorbike

    Quote Originally Posted by coelcanth View Post
    here's mine XT600.. the son of XT500




    all packed up for four days of riding gravel from connecticut up through vermont

    Looks great.... but you really need a set of boots, eh? Good to see someone travelling "light".
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

    I'd rather look back at my life and say "I can't believe I did that" instead of being there saying "I wish I'd done that"

  7. #252
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Posts
    6,459

    Default Re: Adventure Motorbike

    Quote Originally Posted by LeeG View Post
    That was fun
    Seriously! Without a doubt. Tale what you have; I'll bet $ to donuts Ed's spent less in a year's travel than most Beemer or Katoom 'round the world doing it right' fella does on his (typically his) ADVfarklebike.

  8. #253
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Northern NSW Australia
    Posts
    63,731

    Default Re: Adventure Motorbike

    Quote Originally Posted by The Bigfella View Post
    Your link isn't working on my machine. I guess if you run what ya brung, but it don't work, it ain't no good.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/c90adventures/videos

    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

  9. #254
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Posts
    6,459

    Default Re: Adventure Motorbike

    Quote Originally Posted by GrahamH View Post
    Thanks BB.
    Post should be showing photos now.
    Reason for the Honda Scooter. Lots here so repairs/parts are everywhere. Only 1,200 US dollars brand new, three yr warranty.
    Handles dirt, mud and tarmac. Belt drive protected, a chain here with an oiler would be crusted up in the dry, dusty season. Light weight and seems to go for ever on one litre.
    tBeen big, been fast, now want easy.
    Thx, they're showing for me now. Nice rides! Never feel the need to excuse your choice of ride, even in the face of overbearing Bigfellaness

  10. #255
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Posts
    6,459

    Default Re: Adventure Motorbike

    Quote Originally Posted by The Bigfella View Post
    Your link isn't working on my machine. I guess if you run what ya brung, but it don't work, it ain't no good.
    fixed; I guess googling "Ed March youtube" is a stretch for some folk...

  11. #256
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    central cal
    Posts
    10,735

    Default Re: Adventure Motorbike

    Quote Originally Posted by GrahamH View Post
    Thanks BB.
    Post should be showing photos now.
    Reason for the Honda Scooter. Lots here so repairs/parts are everywhere. Only 1,200 US dollars brand new, three yr warranty.
    Handles dirt, mud and tarmac. Belt drive protected, a chain here with an oiler would be crusted up in the dry, dusty season. Light weight and seems to go for ever on one litre.
    Been big, been fast, now want easy.
    I make no apologies about the fact my scooter is the most fun two wheeled vehicle I've ever ridden. Super fun, and very capable.

    The only places it falls short, at all, are range and top speed. A touch more of each would be handier for exploring the west.

    My scooter is a 125, and a Yamaha, but the same step through auto type.

    Peace,
    Robert

  12. #257
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Northern NSW Australia
    Posts
    63,731

    Default Re: Adventure Motorbike

    I once rode a 70cc Suzuki scooter 1500 miles from Brisbane to Hobart in winter, quite an adventure .
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

  13. #258
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Livin' in Oz
    Posts
    53,083

    Default Re: Adventure Motorbike

    Quote Originally Posted by amish rob View Post
    I make no apologies about the fact my scooter is the most fun two wheeled vehicle I've ever ridden. Super fun, and very capable.

    The only places it falls short, at all, are range and top speed. A touch more of each would be handier for exploring the west.

    My scooter is a 125, and a Yamaha, but the same step through auto type.

    Peace,
    Robert

    I thrashed this 100 around some of the back roads in southern Laos, and it was.... painful. Such is life.

    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

    I'd rather look back at my life and say "I can't believe I did that" instead of being there saying "I wish I'd done that"

  14. #259
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    central cal
    Posts
    10,735

    Default Re: Adventure Motorbike

    Quote Originally Posted by The Bigfella View Post
    I thrashed this 100 around some of the back roads in southern Laos, and it was.... painful. Such is life.

    Please tell me you removed the monkey first?! Hehe.

    Peace,
    Robert

  15. #260
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Livin' in Oz
    Posts
    53,083

    Default Re: Adventure Motorbike

    Speaking of Yamaha scooters.... one of these is mine. I'm guessing the front one, as it's at my front door

    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

    I'd rather look back at my life and say "I can't believe I did that" instead of being there saying "I wish I'd done that"

  16. #261
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    central cal
    Posts
    10,735

    Default Re: Adventure Motorbike

    Mine is the one with one lime green grip. And SE Racing bars. I needed knee room, okay?

    Peace,
    Robert

  17. #262
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Posts
    6,459

    Default Re: Adventure Motorbike

    Quote Originally Posted by The Bigfella View Post
    Speaking of Yamaha scooters.... one of these is mine. I'm guessing the front one, as it's at my front door

    Them's got the big wheels! What'ch'all bitchin' about?

  18. #263
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Livin' in Oz
    Posts
    53,083

    Default Re: Adventure Motorbike

    Quote Originally Posted by B_B View Post
    Them's got the big wheels! What'ch'all bitchin' about?
    Who's bitchin'?
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

    I'd rather look back at my life and say "I can't believe I did that" instead of being there saying "I wish I'd done that"

  19. #264
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Livin' in Oz
    Posts
    53,083

    Default Re: Adventure Motorbike

    I prefer what's on the other side of that wall....

    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

    I'd rather look back at my life and say "I can't believe I did that" instead of being there saying "I wish I'd done that"

  20. #265
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    central cal
    Posts
    10,735

    Default Re: Adventure Motorbike

    Quote Originally Posted by The Bigfella View Post
    I prefer what's on the other side of that wall....

    I think I'd rather sit on the monkey.

    Peace,
    Robwrt

  21. #266
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Posts
    6,459

    Default Re: Adventure Motorbike

    Quote Originally Posted by amish rob View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigfella
    I prefer what's on the other side of that wall....

    I think I'd rather sit on the monkey.

    Peace,
    Robwrt
    Yeah, he ain't getting too far without a fuel tank...or handlebars (one begins to wonder if Bigfella has a clue )

  22. #267
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    central cal
    Posts
    10,735

    Default Re: Adventure Motorbike

    Oh, now. I just like to rib. He knows it's in bits.

    Still, I hope nobody steps on that cardboard.

    Peace,
    The Zoomer

  23. #268
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Livin' in Oz
    Posts
    53,083

    Default Re: Adventure Motorbike

    Quote Originally Posted by B_B View Post
    Yeah, he ain't getting too far without a fuel tank...or handlebars (one begins to wonder if Bigfella has a clue )
    Hey... that is my bedroom. I prefer to keep the fuel tank out in the kitchen.....
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

    I'd rather look back at my life and say "I can't believe I did that" instead of being there saying "I wish I'd done that"

  24. #269
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Victoria BC
    Posts
    8,057

    Default Re: Adventure Motorbike



    I'm starting to like these more and more.
    Nosce te ipsum

  25. #270
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Sweden,Scilly Isles, Siberia
    Posts
    7,950

    Default Re: Adventure Motorbike

    Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    I once rode a 70cc Suzuki scooter 1500 miles from Brisbane to Hobart in winter, quite an adventure .
    How long did that take and what model?
    H

  26. #271
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Sweden,Scilly Isles, Siberia
    Posts
    7,950

    Default Re: Adventure Motorbike

    I always thought a Yamaha Townmate was a better alternative than a Honda C90, mainly down to the shaft drive. I also heard that it was an easy upgrade to a 110cc, though no idea what those parts would be from.



    I dont mid scoots with wheels this size. A 70mph cuise though would be nice. Unfortunately, another one of those bike, just like C70/90s, that have been going up in price by a shocking amount. Any knock offs with a bigger engine being built in the Far East?

  27. #272
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Northern NSW Australia
    Posts
    63,731

    Default Re: Adventure Motorbike

    Quote Originally Posted by skaraborgcraft View Post
    How long did that take and what model?

    H
    Three and a half long days. It looked very similar to this but blue.

    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

  28. #273
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Sweden,Scilly Isles, Siberia
    Posts
    7,950

    Default Re: Adventure Motorbike

    Excellent, do you remember how many tanks of fuel it used?

  29. #274
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Northern NSW Australia
    Posts
    63,731

    Default Re: Adventure Motorbike

    No, sorry it was 47 years ago but I do remember it was very economical, nearly as good as my Honda 55 step thru on which I toured as a boy. It used to run on the money I got from the Coke bottles found at truck stops found as I toured.

    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

  30. #275
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Posts
    6,459

    Default Re: Adventure Motorbike

    Quote Originally Posted by skaraborgcraft View Post
    I always thought a Yamaha Townmate was a better alternative than a Honda C90, mainly down to the shaft drive. I also heard that it was an easy upgrade to a 110cc, though no idea what those parts would be from.



    I dont mid scoots with wheels this size. A 70mph cuise though would be nice. Unfortunately, another one of those bike, just like C70/90s, that have been going up in price by a shocking amount. Any knock offs with a bigger engine being built in the Far East?
    Sym makes an exact copy of the Honda Cub - 100cc - they don't appear to have distribution in Sweden but do in the UK and Russia.

  31. #276
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Sweden,Scilly Isles, Siberia
    Posts
    7,950

    Default Re: Adventure Motorbike

    ^ Wow.$2700! Big bucks for a scoot. I get an easy 70mpg from my 250XL, im sure i could do much better if i slowed down.

    Mr Sibley, thats a great way to fund a tour! In sweden people often go through bins looking for cans and plastic bottles that have "pant", usually pays 1-2kr per item. 6 large plastic coke bottles or 12 cans will get you a litre of fuel.....i wonder if its possible to re-cycle enough tins and bottles to travel town to town across Sweden?

  32. #277
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Posts
    6,459

    Default Re: Adventure Motorbike

    Quote Originally Posted by skaraborgcraft View Post
    ^ Wow.$2700! Big bucks for a scoot. ...
    Sorry, eh! That's Canadian $ - would've linked to the US site but the bike has been discontinued there. FWIW a 50cc Honda Ruckus MSRP is C$3,400.
    The market here for motorbikes / scooters is greatly overpriced and underserved.

  33. #278
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Sweden,Scilly Isles, Siberia
    Posts
    7,950

    Default Re: Adventure Motorbike

    Quote Originally Posted by B_B View Post
    Sorry, eh! That's Canadian $ - would've linked to the US site but the bike has been discontinued there. FWIW a 50cc Honda Ruckus MSRP is C$3,400.
    The market here for motorbikes / scooters is greatly overpriced and underserved.
    Canadian or US., still bucks for a wee bike. Mopeds and bikes were ridden by people who could not afford to buy cars and run them, it seems easy credit has pushed the prices of everything up, and given to almost anyone. The coming car apocolypse in the US is going to be epic......followed by the EU (bond sales of car loans). Still a lot of scoots in London used for commuting, given the price of public transport. Do love a C90 with tartan panniers and a wind screen!

  34. #279
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Alameda, CA
    Posts
    8,653

    Default Re: Adventure Motorbike

    Quote Originally Posted by skaraborgcraft View Post
    Canadian or US., still bucks for a wee bike. Mopeds and bikes were ridden by people who could not afford to buy cars and run them, it seems easy credit has pushed the prices of everything up, and given to almost anyone. The coming car apocolypse in the US is going to be epic......followed by the EU (bond sales of car loans). Still a lot of scoots in London used for commuting, given the price of public transport. Do love a C90 with tartan panniers and a wind screen!
    Looks a little overweight. Must been following Ed Sheeran music tour.

    Be wary of your critics, at peace with your decisions, and work hard to be a better man.

  35. #280
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Sweden,Scilly Isles, Siberia
    Posts
    7,950

    Default Re: Adventure Motorbike

    I thought Ed Sheeran was a football player? The things you miss when you dont have a TV........

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •