Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 789 ... LastLast

Thread: Adventure Motorbike

Default Re: Adventure Motorbike

Yep, Ed Marsh is doing it ....big time!
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    True, what ever you own is your adventure bike.

That was fun

Quote Originally Posted by B_B View Post
    you know the more I read about the "right" way to do things the more I yearn for Ed Marsh. Run wat ya brung bro!
    Your link isn't working on my machine. I guess if you run what ya brung, but it don't work, it ain't no good.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

I'd rather look back at my life and say "I can't believe I did that" instead of being there saying "I wish I'd done that"

you know the more I read about the "right" way to do things the more I yearn for Ed Marsh. Run wat ya brung bro!
    Well, there was no real query about "right" way, just an open ended question about what type of bike would be everyone's ideal or dream or wish.

After having put a few miles on a scooter being adventurous, I know it's not for me for long trips. I simply need more range from the bike. Jerry cans will help, but a moderately sized bike that can handle multiple surfaces is really the goal.

Peace,
    Robert

Thanks BB.
    Post should be showing photos now.
    Reason for the Honda Scooter. Lots here so repairs/parts are everywhere. Only 1,200 US dollars brand new, three yr warranty.
    Handles dirt, mud and tarmac. Belt drive protected, a chain here with an oiler would be crusted up in the dry, dusty season. Light weight and seems to go for ever on one litre.
    Been big, been fast, now want easy.

Quote Originally Posted by coelcanth View Post
    here's mine XT600.. the son of XT500

all packed up for four days of riding gravel from connecticut up through vermont

Looks great.... but you really need a set of boots, eh? Good to see someone travelling "light".
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

I'd rather look back at my life and say "I can't believe I did that" instead of being there saying "I wish I'd done that"

Quote Originally Posted by LeeG View Post
    That was fun
    Seriously! Without a doubt. Tale what you have; I'll bet $ to donuts Ed's spent less in a year's travel than most Beemer or Katoom 'round the world doing it right' fella does on his (typically his) ADVfarklebike.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bigfella View Post
    Your link isn't working on my machine. I guess if you run what ya brung, but it don't work, it ain't no good.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/c90adventures/videos

Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamH View Post
    Thanks BB.
    Reason for the Honda Scooter. Lots here so repairs/parts are everywhere. Only 1,200 US dollars brand new, three yr warranty.
    Handles dirt, mud and tarmac. Belt drive protected, a chain here with an oiler would be crusted up in the dry, dusty season. Light weight and seems to go for ever on one litre.
    tBeen big, been fast, now want easy.
    Thx, they're showing for me now. Nice rides! Never feel the need to excuse your choice of ride, even in the face of overbearing Bigfellaness

fixed; I guess googling "Ed March youtube" is a stretch for some folk...

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamH View Post
    Thanks BB.
    Been big, been fast, now want easy.
    I make no apologies about the fact my scooter is the most fun two wheeled vehicle I've ever ridden. Super fun, and very capable.

The only places it falls short, at all, are range and top speed. A touch more of each would be handier for exploring the west.

My scooter is a 125, and a Yamaha, but the same step through auto type.

Peace,
    Robert

I once rode a 70cc Suzuki scooter 1500 miles from Brisbane to Hobart in winter, quite an adventure .
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by amish rob View Post
    I make no apologies about the fact my scooter is the most fun two wheeled vehicle I've ever ridden. Super fun, and very capable.

The only places it falls short, at all, are range and top speed. A touch more of each would be handier for exploring the west.

My scooter is a 125, and a Yamaha, but the same step through auto type.

Peace,
    Robert

I thrashed this 100 around some of the back roads in southern Laos, and it was.... painful. Such is life.

I thrashed this 100 around some of the back roads in southern Laos, and it was.... painful. Such is life.

Please tell me you removed the monkey first?! Hehe.

Peace,
    Robert

Speaking of Yamaha scooters.... one of these is mine. I'm guessing the front one, as it's at my front door

Mine is the one with one lime green grip. And SE Racing bars. I needed knee room, okay?

Peace,
    Robert

Speaking of Yamaha scooters.... one of these is mine. I'm guessing the front one, as it's at my front door

Them's got the big wheels! What'ch'all bitchin' about?

Them's got the big wheels! What'ch'all bitchin' about?
    Who's bitchin'?

I prefer what's on the other side of that wall....

I think I'd rather sit on the monkey.

Peace,
    Robwrt

Quote Originally Posted by amish rob View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigfella

I think I'd rather sit on the monkey.

Peace,
    Robwrt
    Yeah, he ain't getting too far without a fuel tank...or handlebars (one begins to wonder if Bigfella has a clue )

Oh, now. I just like to rib. He knows it's in bits.

Still, I hope nobody steps on that cardboard.

Peace,
    The Zoomer

Yeah, he ain't getting too far without a fuel tank...or handlebars (one begins to wonder if Bigfella has a clue )
    Hey... that is my bedroom. I prefer to keep the fuel tank out in the kitchen.....

I'm starting to like these more and more.
    Nosce te ipsum

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    I once rode a 70cc Suzuki scooter 1500 miles from Brisbane to Hobart in winter, quite an adventure .
    How long did that take and what model?
    H

I always thought a Yamaha Townmate was a better alternative than a Honda C90, mainly down to the shaft drive. I also heard that it was an easy upgrade to a 110cc, though no idea what those parts would be from.

I dont mid scoots with wheels this size. A 70mph cuise though would be nice. Unfortunately, another one of those bike, just like C70/90s, that have been going up in price by a shocking amount. Any knock offs with a bigger engine being built in the Far East?

Quote Originally Posted by skaraborgcraft View Post
    How long did that take and what model?

H
    Three and a half long days. It looked very similar to this but blue.

Grateful Dead

Excellent, do you remember how many tanks of fuel it used?

No, sorry it was 47 years ago but I do remember it was very economical, nearly as good as my Honda 55 step thru on which I toured as a boy. It used to run on the money I got from the Coke bottles found at truck stops found as I toured.

Grateful Dead

I always thought a Yamaha Townmate was a better alternative than a Honda C90, mainly down to the shaft drive. I also heard that it was an easy upgrade to a 110cc, though no idea what those parts would be from.

I dont mid scoots with wheels this size. A 70mph cuise though would be nice. Unfortunately, another one of those bike, just like C70/90s, that have been going up in price by a shocking amount. Any knock offs with a bigger engine being built in the Far East?
    Sym makes an exact copy of the Honda Cub - 100cc - they don't appear to have distribution in Sweden but do in the UK and Russia.

^ Wow.$2700! Big bucks for a scoot. I get an easy 70mpg from my 250XL, im sure i could do much better if i slowed down.

Mr Sibley, thats a great way to fund a tour! In sweden people often go through bins looking for cans and plastic bottles that have "pant", usually pays 1-2kr per item. 6 large plastic coke bottles or 12 cans will get you a litre of fuel.....i wonder if its possible to re-cycle enough tins and bottles to travel town to town across Sweden?

^ Wow.$2700! Big bucks for a scoot. ...
    Sorry, eh! That's Canadian $ - would've linked to the US site but the bike has been discontinued there. FWIW a 50cc Honda Ruckus MSRP is C$3,400.
    The market here for motorbikes / scooters is greatly overpriced and underserved.

Sorry, eh! That's Canadian $ - would've linked to the US site but the bike has been discontinued there. FWIW a 50cc Honda Ruckus MSRP is C$3,400.
    The market here for motorbikes / scooters is greatly overpriced and underserved.
    Canadian or US., still bucks for a wee bike. Mopeds and bikes were ridden by people who could not afford to buy cars and run them, it seems easy credit has pushed the prices of everything up, and given to almost anyone. The coming car apocolypse in the US is going to be epic......followed by the EU (bond sales of car loans). Still a lot of scoots in London used for commuting, given the price of public transport. Do love a C90 with tartan panniers and a wind screen!

Canadian or US., still bucks for a wee bike. Mopeds and bikes were ridden by people who could not afford to buy cars and run them, it seems easy credit has pushed the prices of everything up, and given to almost anyone. The coming car apocolypse in the US is going to be epic......followed by the EU (bond sales of car loans). Still a lot of scoots in London used for commuting, given the price of public transport. Do love a C90 with tartan panniers and a wind screen!
    Looks a little overweight. Must been following Ed Sheeran music tour.

Be wary of your critics, at peace with your decisions, and work hard to be a better man.

I thought Ed Sheeran was a football player? The things you miss when you dont have a TV........