Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 36 to 63 of 63

Thread: Do you think you can walk 10K?

  1. #36
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    central cal
    Posts
    10,770

    Default Re: Do you think you can walk 10K?

    Quote Originally Posted by C. Ross View Post
    Robert, you're legendary.
    Most people choose other adjectives.

    My superpower has long been the ability to disconnect my mind from my body. Really. I can absorb immense amounts of pain and suffering. My wife says my eyes turn off, like the person is gone. I love to work hard, to exhaust my body and mind, to push myself as far as I can. Then go further.

    Other than that, I have few redeeeming qualities, save the ability to laugh at my own self. And my idiotic generosity.

    Oh, I can burp real good, too. Hehe.

    Peace,
    Robert

    P.S. The self deprecating schtick comes from the fact I really don't fit well in the modern world. As my ramblings and mumblings here may have shown, I'm kind of not made for this dog eat dog world.
    I think I would have made an EXCELLENT dog.

  2. #37
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    northern Georgia, or sometimes Mississippi Delta USA
    Posts
    13,039

    Default Re: Do you think you can walk 10K?

    I'm pretty sure that I could still do it on flat land.

  3. #38
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    East Quogue,NY
    Posts
    13,642

    Default Do you think you can walk 10K?

    Yep. I hike in the mountains regularly. I also fish the beach, and while I drive my truck on, I'll often walk a mile or more in soft sand, wearing waders, often dragging a 20 or 30 pound fish behind me on the way back.

    I don't think I could run it. I don't run much at all.

    Kevin


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

  4. #39
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Shubenacadie NS
    Posts
    3,727

    Default Re: Do you think you can walk 10K?

    I've done two 5k runs this year. My first races ever. I ran the first one (no training, my wife signed me up unbeknownst to me) in 30:03. I ran the second one (same sign up sneakiness) in 27minutes and some odd seconds, once again, no training. Not sure I could run 10k but I'm pretty confident I could walk it. I'm not "old" by many yardsticks either though, I turned 40 in May.
    If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.
    -Henry David Thoreau-

  5. #40
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Fredericton, New Brunswick
    Posts
    32,177

    Default Re: Do you think you can walk 10K?

    Goathead thorns - that is a new one for me. Look like the prototype for caltrops.

    Here I had a "thing" about Rosa rugosa thorns; I am a wuss after all.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

  6. #41
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Hell
    Posts
    81,899

    Default Re: Do you think you can walk 10K?

    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

  7. #42
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    28,559

    Default Re: Do you think you can walk 10K?

    10 k = 6.21371 miles
    Renee walks 7 to 8 miles once or twice every weekend with our dog. I walk it with her every so often, but I hate walking I prefer to run or ride my bike. I'll be 53 this month.
    Last edited by Joe (SoCal); 09-04-2017 at 03:47 PM.
    This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

  8. #43
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Hamilton New Zealand
    Posts
    3,979

    Default Re: Do you think you can walk 10K?

    Quote Originally Posted by genglandoh View Post
    10K runs are very popular and being 60 I do not think I could run one.
    But I do think I could walk 10K.

    I walk my dog in the woods about 1-2 miles 3-4 times a week.
    Last month I walked about 3.6 miles (5.8 K) in a little more then an hour.
    So I am confident that I could walk 10K.

    Do you think you can walk a 10K?
    Yes, no problem. My dog takes me for a walk every day, generally 3 or 4 miles so ten K is just keeping on for another hour or so.
    I wear a step counter thing that I try to get past 10000 every day with at least one 15000 day each week. At my age the body needs more maintenance than it used to so I try to keep the work rate up.

    John Welsford
    An expert is but a beginner with experience.

  9. #44
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Hamilton New Zealand
    Posts
    3,979

    Default Re: Do you think you can walk 10K?

    Quote Originally Posted by S.V. Airlie View Post
    Used be able to but, no longer. The old "ticker" doesn't like me very much. 30 yrs ago, probably. If I can bike 100+ miles with 70 lbs of gear in Scotland, I could have done 10k in my sleep. Maybe 5k walking today. Folks, don't get old! Or at least, do so on your own time.
    Getting old? I had a particularly skanky young woman behind me in the supermarket checkout queue a while back, I was speed reading a magazine off the rack so was a bit slow moving forward and she told me "wake up old man". I turned to her and gently said, " you know, if you are very very lucky you might live long enough to be as old as I am" Lots of laughter from several older folk in the area, and a very red face from her.

    John Welsford

    Oh yes, a ps, I recon I could outrun, out jump, out lift and out do her on any physical endeavour that she might nominate. She looked as though it would be an effort just making it out to her car.

    JW
    An expert is but a beginner with experience.

  10. #45
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    1,127

    Default Re: Do you think you can walk 10K?

    When I was younger, I regularly did "walkathons". Used to get a lot of ribbing because of my foot wear, combat boots. Wore out 5 prs in 3 years. ZERO blisters, explain that to the quartermaster.

    Dumah
    Duct tape can't fix stupid but it will muffle the sound

  11. #46
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Barrie, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    4,032

    Default Re: Do you think you can walk 10K?

    On snowshoes. Pulling 2 sleds.

    http://www.myccr.com/phpbbforum/view...45684&start=15

    But it's not getting easier...

  12. #47
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    1,477

    Default Re: Do you think you can walk 10K?

    Walk? A whole 10ks? It'd take me about a day; two hours to do it and 22 hours of whining and recovery afterwards. But get me on a bike and 10ks is a 15 minute warmup for a proper ride. It's amazing how specific fitness can be.

  13. #48
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    1,477

    Default Re: Do you think you can walk 10K?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hadfield View Post
    On snowshoes. Pulling 2 sleds.

    http://www.myccr.com/phpbbforum/view...45684&start=15

    But it's not getting easier...
    Fascinating link, Dave. Thanks

  14. #49
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    28,559

    Default Re: Do you think you can walk 10K?

    Quote Originally Posted by Chris249 View Post
    Walk? A whole 10ks? It'd take me about a day; two hours to do it and 22 hours of whining and recovery afterwards. But get me on a bike and 10ks is a 15 minute warmup for a proper ride. It's amazing how specific fitness can be.
    Agreed - I HATE walking

    Reminds me of when I was in highschool, a buddy of mine was a track star and long distance runner. He challenged me to run the New York Marathon. I asked how long is it ? He said 26.2 miles. At the time I was riding 60 to 80 miles a day, so I was like you're on. I mean I'm just waking up at that time. Fast forward two of us on the starting line of the NYC Marathon. That year it started on the Verrazano bridge and we were keeping together across the bridge. When we got to the other side he said OK I'm gonna see how I do and zoooooom he was gone. I suffered for the next 5 hours. The worst part was I nearly couldn't walk for the next three days. Oooooh did I mention I never ran more than a mile before in my life.
    This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

  15. #50
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Victoria BC
    Posts
    8,057

    Default Re: Do you think you can walk 10K?

    My neighbour has walked around the World, or at least the equivalent distance. So far, its cost him 50 pairs of shoes. . .
    http://www.saanichnews.com/news/saan...world-odyssey/
    Nosce te ipsum

  16. #51
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Mountain lakes of Vermont
    Posts
    9,643

    Default Re: Do you think you can walk 10K?

    Walk 10K? Depends who I was trying to get away from.
    Ten years ago, yes. Now, my replacement knees wouldn't make it. Went hiking one mile up and one mile down a mountain trail the other day and my knees are still hurting. That was a stinkin' steep trail!!
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

  17. #52
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    23

    Default Re: Do you think you can walk 10K?

    Can I walk 10k? Thankfully, yes. Everyone ages; I am in my mid sixties and, truth be told, frightened that the time when I can not walk 10k is fast approaching.
    To have one's health can not be over valued. Appreciate it.

  18. #53
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Hamilton New Zealand
    Posts
    3,979

    Default Re: Do you think you can walk 10K?

    Quote Originally Posted by genglandoh View Post
    10K runs are very popular and being 60 I do not think I could run one.
    But I do think I could walk 10K.

    I walk my dog in the woods about 1-2 miles 3-4 times a week.
    Last month I walked about 3.6 miles (5.8 K) in a little more then an hour.
    So I am confident that I could walk 10K.

    Do you think you can walk a 10K?
    i like the general thrust of the responses to this post. My own thoughts are along the lines of "I've a limited time available to have the adventures that I want to have, mountain climbing, long distance cycle touring, cruising an open boat on long coastal voyages, some more blue water cruising and just being able to do the things that I damn well want rather than being constrained by an unfit body". So I work on it, 70 is not that far off for me, so I figure that if I keep really fit I'm likely to be ok for another 10 years, and even after then hope to be fit enough to walk the dog down on the beach where I can watch the girls in their bikini bottoms. ( I might not be able to do much about them, but they're nice to look at).

    I was out on the river this evening, its near full moon and the tide was right so I went up and picked up the oars from the shed, the dog was waiting in the boat when I got back to the dock and we spent an hour out on the water. Thats equivalent to 1500 strokes on the rowing machine at the gym, and is much more enjoyable, (not allowed the dog in the gym and he's good company). That on top of the days 11292 steps on the Garmin Vivofit that my Fitness trainer son makes me wear. I'm doing ok. can still carry three sheets of 3/8in red meranti plywood at a time the 75 yards from my pickup down the track to my shed. I used to be able to carry four at a time, but have to be realistic.

    Incidentally my Dearly Beloved is studying to become a fitness trainer herself, here thats a 6 month full time university level course, her many years as a nurse has given her a running start at the course and of course son, having completed the course last year can help her with her homework. He's concentrating his efforts on rescuing young people trapped by poor diet and video games, bringing them to some sort of physical normality, and my DB is planning to start a business focussing on older people who have had trauma, chronic illness, obesity issues and such, her aim being to extend their active lives and her own with it.

    So I have to be seen to be maintaining fitness or I'll be nagged to death. So I'm doubly motivated.

    John Welsford
    An expert is but a beginner with experience.

  19. #54
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    central cal
    Posts
    10,770

    Default Re: Do you think you can walk 10K?

    Quote Originally Posted by john welsford View Post
    i like the general thrust of the responses to this post. My own thoughts are along the lines of "I've a limited time available to have the adventures that I want to have, mountain climbing, long distance cycle touring, cruising an open boat on long coastal voyages, some more blue water cruising and just being able to do the things that I damn well want rather than being constrained by an unfit body". So I work on it, 70 is not that far off for me, so I figure that if I keep really fit I'm likely to be ok for another 10 years, and even after then hope to be fit enough to walk the dog down on the beach where I can watch the girls in their bikini bottoms. ( I might not be able to do much about them, but they're nice to look at).

    I was out on the river this evening, its near full moon and the tide was right so I went up and picked up the oars from the shed, the dog was waiting in the boat when I got back to the dock and we spent an hour out on the water. Thats equivalent to 1500 strokes on the rowing machine at the gym, and is much more enjoyable, (not allowed the dog in the gym and he's good company). That on top of the days 11292 steps on the Garmin Vivofit that my Fitness trainer son makes me wear. I'm doing ok. can still carry three sheets of 3/8in red meranti plywood at a time the 75 yards from my pickup down the track to my shed. I used to be able to carry four at a time, but have to be realistic.

    Incidentally my Dearly Beloved is studying to become a fitness trainer herself, here thats a 6 month full time university level course, her many years as a nurse has given her a running start at the course and of course son, having completed the course last year can help her with her homework. He's concentrating his efforts on rescuing young people trapped by poor diet and video games, bringing them to some sort of physical normality, and my DB is planning to start a business focussing on older people who have had trauma, chronic illness, obesity issues and such, her aim being to extend their active lives and her own with it.

    So I have to be seen to be maintaining fitness or I'll be nagged to death. So I'm doubly motivated.

    John Welsford

    John,
    I have a fitness problem, myself.

    One of my favorite fitness people has to be a guy called Erwan LeCorre who developed a "system" called MovNat. His website has a great overview of his philosophy and the basic idea behind MovNat.

    The rowing a boat as opposed to a machine is what reminded me of him.

    For,p what it is worth, I recommend swimming to maintain fitness. A good Australian crawl will work the entire body, and proper technique will allow you to do all the work aerobically.

    Anyway.

    Peace,
    Robert

  20. #55
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Port of Lorain,Ohio
    Posts
    14,562

    Default Re: Do you think you can walk 10K?

    Why would I walk when I could skate?
    I could do 10K on wheels for sure.
    Keep calm, persistence beats resistance.

  21. #56
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Hamilton New Zealand
    Posts
    3,979

    Default Re: Do you think you can walk 10K?

    Quote Originally Posted by amish rob View Post
    John,
    I have a fitness problem, myself.

    One of my favorite fitness people has to be a guy called Erwan LeCorre who developed a "system" called MovNat. His website has a great overview of his philosophy and the basic idea behind MovNat.

    The rowing a boat as opposed to a machine is what reminded me of him.

    For,p what it is worth, I recommend swimming to maintain fitness. A good Australian crawl will work the entire body, and proper technique will allow you to do all the work aerobically.

    Anyway.

    Peace,
    Robert
    I swim once or twice a week. Looking at my post above, I might come across as a bit of a fitness freak, but what I'm doing is trying to use my everyday activities to keep the biological machine in which I live in good condition. I've had an ongoing health problem, one of the symptoms of which is very low blood pressure, and my lovely doctor tells me to be as active as possible and do as much low impact exercise as possible, eat a high protein diet, more salt than most people are allowed, lots of fluids, and to go and see her every second month to have blood drawn.
    I note that a lot of people around my age have problems with high blood pressure, anyone want to go halves?

    John Welsford
    An expert is but a beginner with experience.

  22. #57
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    central cal
    Posts
    10,770

    Default Re: Do you think you can walk 10K?

    Quote Originally Posted by john welsford View Post
    I swim once or twice a week. Looking at my post above, I might come across as a bit of a fitness freak, but what I'm doing is trying to use my everyday activities to keep the biological machine in which I live in good condition. I've had an ongoing health problem, one of the symptoms of which is very low blood pressure, and my lovely doctor tells me to be as active as possible and do as much low impact exercise as possible, eat a high protein diet, more salt than most people are allowed, lots of fluids, and to go and see her every second month to have blood drawn.
    I note that a lot of people around my age have problems with high blood pressure, anyone want to go halves?

    John Welsford
    Me, too. I haven't been to a gym in more than 20 years. Ewww. However, I am fit. Aerobic and physical fitness.

    I think the MovNat ideas would appeal to you. Check his site out. You might be surprised at how avant garde your fitness regime is.

    Peace,
    Robert

  23. #58
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Hamilton New Zealand
    Posts
    3,979

    Default Re: Do you think you can walk 10K?

    Quote Originally Posted by amish rob View Post
    Me, too. I haven't been to a gym in more than 20 years. Ewww. However, I am fit. Aerobic and physical fitness.

    I think the MovNat ideas would appeal to you. Check his site out. You might be surprised at how avant garde your fitness regime is.

    Peace,
    Robert
    Gym? GYM? No thanks. I prefer to use all that energy to do things much more interesting than just pump iron or walk a treadmill, I like to exercise my mind as well as my body.

    I'll go and find that site.
    John Welsford
    An expert is but a beginner with experience.

  24. #59
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    central cal
    Posts
    10,770

    Default Re: Do you think you can walk 10K?

    Quote Originally Posted by john welsford View Post
    Gym? GYM? No thanks. I prefer to use all that energy to do things much more interesting than just pump iron or walk a treadmill, I like to exercise my mind as well as my body.

    I'll go and find that site.
    John Welsford
    John,
    Children make excellent work out partners. So do dogs. You certainly seem to have the identical mindset to fitness I do. Be fit to be useful, and find fitness in use.

    I don't mean to go on about Mr. LeCorre, because I am not an acolyte, nor even a paying student, but his online essays and overview of his philosophy are enough, I think, for active and creative individuals to find elements to apply to their own world, and view. I think he can spark your imagination and spirit a bit as to your own fitness views and routines. I hope, anyway. Your writings lead me to believe we feel similarly about this whole issue.

    Low blood pressure sounds familiar. What's your pulse? Mine is 38-40 at rest, which people think is too low. Also low BP at rest.
    But, I can still maintain 190 for about 90 minutes before the burn gets me.
    I cruise about 68 BPM at an 8 min/mile pace, running.

    All "too low". But I've always been like that. I've checked my heart rate regularly for the last 30 years, blood pressure, too. I monitor them closely, because they are the best measures to gauge aerobic fitness, and the first indicators of over-training, which is a line I've trod carefully for the last dozen years. (We developed a theory, based on study, that the human body really can't be over-worked, but only under-fueled. I have endeavored to undertake feats of endurance with little rest, and provided proper nutrition, I believe we are, relatively speaking, perpetual motion machines. With the enormous caveat that EXTENSIVE mental preparation is required to operate in the "zombie zone".)

    I have a large heart, and very large blood vessels, too, plus huge lungs, and I think this combo makes my system work differently than the "average"
    I monitor myself and watch for variances in my own baselines, rather than panic about pure numbers. My doctors all love and hate me.

    Peace,
    Robert

    P.S. I had a doctor ask to take a picture of my Achilles. He claims to have never seen such a well developed one. He thought it was damage until he checked them out.
    I told him I had run barefoot for years, and he actually listened to me...

  25. #60
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Northern NSW Australia
    Posts
    63,767

    Default Re: Do you think you can walk 10K?

    I've just had my 68th birthday but can still walk the required 10 km, although this last year of radiation and chemo has left me fatigued and not exactly full of beans. I'm hoping to get my fitness back this year. BP 70/110, Resting pulse, just now 55.
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

  26. #61
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Posts
    4,758

    Default Re: Do you think you can walk 10K?

    I walk roughly one mile each day at work - up to the cafeteria and then again to get coffee. Then I hike each Tuesday for 3 to 5 miles. Sometimes I go Saturday or Sunday for 5 to 8 miles. These longer hikes often involve elevation changes of 200 or 300 feet which burn calories and help keep me thin. I really enjoy the scenery and the company of other hikers.
    Will

  27. #62
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Wellington, NZ
    Posts
    91

    Default Re: Do you think you can walk 10K?

    10K - I can cover walking easily, in a couple of hours. Running, in about 50 minutes at the moment. I've been rebuilding my running fitness since the beginning of this year after a few years of cycling and no running. 15 years ago I could race a 39 minute 10K so I try not to compare too much to old times, just to build up to my current potential. I'm 40 now and hope to still be active at 80 so want to keep building the base.

  28. #63
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Canadia
    Posts
    6,852

    Default Re: Do you think you can walk 10K?

    Walked about 22k today. That's not an unusual day off for me.
    I'll just take my chances with those salt water joys.

    AR

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •