Thread: Aquacote

Default Aquacote

Has anybody used Aquacote?
    I've read a few article which raved about it, the quick re coat time is great, water based means clean up is easy.
    I wouldn't leave it 2 years between coats as suggested but has any one used the product.
    You are ment to under coat with Bote-cote epoxy as well.
    It's going to be used on a spruce mast which I have to strip back to bare timber as it is. a penetrating coat of epoxy isn't a bad idea in my mind.
    Otherwise what varnish is best bang for your buck.
    Thanks
    James

Default Re: Aquacote

Is that a clear version of Aquacote you're considering?

Personally, I don't like epoxy under varnish. The epoxy discolours and fails unless the varnish is kept up anyway so ... why not just use varnish?

If you use any varnish on a mast that's always in the sun, you need to use a lot of varnish coats - like 10 or more, whether you use epoxy or not. Then you need to keep topping up the varnish very regularly, like every 6 months. That being the case, you could use Sikkens Cetol instead. You'd still need to top it up every year at least but it's easy to apply and there's no sanding. You can't use it over epoxy.

If you want a varnished look, the only product that you can get that'll really last well, like several years, is Allwood. Expensive and you need proper prep and multiple coats, but it's really good.

I've used Aquacote, not clear, but white. It's supposed to be a high-build primer but I really don't like it. I do like all the other Bote Cote products and I only use their epoxy and fillers, having been very disappointed with West etc. I find Aquacote hard to sand, which is crazy for a high-build primer! I use Jotun Penguard - a really nice product. I don't actually like any of the other Jotun products I've tried.

By the way, I've never used Allwood but I trust the judgement of those I know who do use it. I use Cetol a lot - really great product but it doesn't give a varnished look.

Rick

I must agree with Rick on not using epoxy under varnish. Not because epoxy is unessary and expensive but, because, if the wood is pierced, it can absorb moisture and it will discolor, often with a dark or black stain! Once epoxy is used as an undercoat it is nearly impossible to remove a stain short of major wood removal! Bleach will not reach it due to the sealing nature of the epoxy itself. Expoxy also cannot be removed by normal chemical stripping as stripper does not effect it. In short, if you are seeking a good a looking varnish job, you are "Gnarfed"! Varnish does not need an undercoat other than thinning the first coat a bit. Unless you are staining and need to produce a uniformly absorbent surface then, clear acrylic lacquer is your best bet. A thin coat of clear shellac will work as well for stain prepping wood of varying qualities of stain absorption. Shellac is very cheap and does a good job! It can be applied with a pad which makes for easy work. It dries very fast and can be stained over in less than an hour. Ditto for lacquer but it must be brushed or sprayed on.
    Jay
    Last edited by Jay Greer; 07-04-2017 at 10:32 AM.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Cetol
    Follow directions, (3 plus 2) , forget it for several years.

Sweet.
    It's a timber main and mizzen mast with booms I'm redoing.
    The Main mast is 10m long so storage of it for a long period of time is a bit of a hassle.

BYC hosted a wooden boat show recently. There were several famous boats on display including "Dorade". Most of the boats that had pristine varnish on their brightwork used Epifanes. That stuff has the highest gloss of any varnish on the market that I have ever seen! It is so shiny as to be almost be obscene! No Aquacote was in sight.
    Jay

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

No doubt Jay, the worlds finest yachts use Epifanes.
    They bring them to Antigua just for varnishing.
    The cruising boats in the anchorage who do not hire it out...not so much.

The nice thing about priming and sealing with shellac is being able to thin it way down for deep penetration and you can easily tint it to even out the color of an old stained stick. Some good turps mixed in will slow the drying if you're doing it in the summer and its hot out.

The other option is CPES which is a great sealer/primer for varnish but a serious ding will have to be dealt with quickly to avoid discoloration if water gets past it. Not as thick or as hard as epoxy but it does create a barrier that breached can lead to water staining.

Epifanes. Nothing else, ever.