Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456 LastLast

Thread: Duck Punt

Default Re: Duck Punt

Quote Originally Posted by amish rob View Post
    Attachment 3456
    Not sure, at all. In this case, I am a mindless follower of a West Mersea boatbuilder's notes.
    I really know nothing of these boats except what I've read here, then what I've learned from these plan sets from the web.
    I aim to make it as close to plan as possible, just because.

Peace,
    Robert

P.S. That's a blatant lie. My breasthook is longer by a few centimeters.
    I was wondering how the open West Mersea punts worked the breeching rope and so on.

That thwart must be locked well into place.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Quote Originally Posted by Peerie Maa View Post
    I was wondering how the open West Mersea punts worked the breeching rope and so on.

Dude, that is an awesome picture! I knew it must be somesuch as that, but that's cool.

Peace,
    Robert

They must have had bigger ducks back then.
    "Oh my god, Triscuits are, like, the best." L.F Herreshoff, The Compleat Cruiser

Attachment 3455
    This is the camo I mean, by the by. I realize most people haven't seen me, or my wee kayak.
    Yes, the red ball is there on purpose. I'm silly, if you didn't know.

Peace,
    Robert
    got to be camo, or Zebra Striped

Quote Originally Posted by minuteman View Post
    Ha. What you don't know is that gun fires a 6oz slug, and it took three to kill the ducks back then.

I'll say they were bigger...

Peace,
    Robert

Nick,
    Because I am "that guy", I have decided me NEED a replica punt gun for the boat. I aim (hehe) to make the barrel from some PVC pipe, and carve a nice butt from some pine I have. Hehe.

Actually, I just realized I need to make it a water gun. A little pump with a piece of clear tubing over the side and a tube down the barrel...

Whee!

Peace,
    Robwrt

Sheesh! What have I done?

Sheesh! What have I done?
    I came in for a drink of water, and a peep on the forum.

Well, I thought you had prompted me to make and share something else with the forum.

This is the third "boat" I've built and posted this year. Despite the fact they are all junk and crap, I still do take some care building them so we may use them as intended.

Perhaps, though, you prompted me to keep my silly ideas to myself.

Everywhere, here, is the negative vibe.

Sheesh, indeed.

Peace,
    Sweaty From Hand Carving A Barrel Groove In SYP

I came in for a drink of water, and a peep on the forum.

Well, I thought you had prompted me to make and share something else with the forum.

This is the third "boat" I've built and posted this year. Despite the fact they are all junk and crap, I still do take some care building them so we may use them as intended.

Perhaps, though, you prompted me to keep my silly ideas to myself.

Everywhere, here, is the negative vibe.

Sheesh, indeed.

Peace,
    Sweaty From Hand Carving A Barrel Groove In SYP
    Hi, lighten up.

Commercial gunners would shoot at rafts of ducks sitting on the water, not at individual birds flying in the air.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Hi, lighten up.
    Yes. You're right. Lighten up. Maybe you and Daniel can get together and write the book where I take my revenge? I'm apparently, according to this thread, a vengeful maniac and a childlike idiot who can't be trusted to act like a grown up, already. Sigh...

Any fool who would build a squirt gun for their "boat" (I know they are plywood, and icky ply, at that. I have no class) should just stay quiet and not share their dumb ideas. And should certainly not be insulted when their ideas are mocked, even in apparent good nature.

I should have expected the ridicule, were I wise enough.

Perhaps in the next life I will not be so thin skinned and childish.

One can only hope.

Until then, I will simply laugh of all insults thinly disguised as humour.

Peace,
    Robert

P.S. Thanks for showing me what the guns look like. I promise I won't upset the adults by showing the abomination that I plan to make with that information, though.
    Last edited by amish rob; 09-15-2017 at 03:20 PM. Reason: removal of extraneous comma

Allways wondered why duck punts have the little trianglar transom. Perhaps it is to stop the shipping them green as the Punt obeyed Newtons third.

Quote Originally Posted by tink View Post
    Allways wondered why duck punts have the little trianglar transom. Perhaps it is to stop the shipping them green as the Punt obeyed Newtons third.
    Not all of them do.
    The Norfolk punts and the ones that used to be used on our marshes were bigger and decked in.
    Norfolk punts were double ended, although the only surviving one from around here had a relatively wide transom stern.

They could be sailed as well,

Got the breasthook partially grooved and installed. I'll finish the groove through the stem and outwale/stem cap thing.

Tomorrow the thwart goes in, then the outwales go on, then the thole pads.

Whee!

Peace,
    Robert

IMG_0618.jpg
    Here's a model of a duck punt I built. This one was for scull hunting, so had a port in the rear for a curved sculling oar to be used over the shoulder of the driver/hunter, who lies in wait on the floor boards, stalking ducks.

That's how it was described to me...

Peace,
    Robert

IMG_2302.jpg
    Well, well. While the outwale scarfs harden up (I decided to scarf on my little spar/oar/wale bench. Yes, it is floor level like most of my stuff, which makes working with pull saws and foot clamps much easier.) I decided to lay on the base for a camouflage job. I think I will,emulate the kayak and do a grassy grass look, which will help around here.

If nothing else, it makes the boat nearly invisible when stashed in the tall grass for a bit...

Anywho. The thwart and its massive ply knee are being made, and I'll put them in next, before I laminate on the outwales.

I also decided to laminate the thole blocks in place after the wales are on. I think I can make stronger blocks, less prone to split, by gluing up some "bases" and gluing a "cap" on them. Of course, the whole works will be half lapped into the frames on each end, still. I just think these will be better than scribed blocks with the stock I have on hand.

I would love some nice flitches of oak to scribe and cut them from, but I'd also like a lot of things I don't have right now.

Incidentally, the gun picture explained to me why the thwart was so low. I thought to move mine up a tad, until I saw the gun. Now I know the thwart was at the right height to aim the gun just so, so the gun has become an integral part of the build, now. I will use the fake one to finish carving the groove through the breasthook and bow, somthe gun aims "just so" with the breech resting on the thwart...

Oh, yeah. Hand sanding the oars in anticipation of wrapping them, then applying clear finish.

Peace,
    Robert

P.S. The idea that the triangular upper rear end is to provide recoil buoyancy is one that never occurred to me, but I think it is probably right on. Super cool. I like to learn stuff. Thanks, Tink.

Not all of them do.
    The Norfolk punts and the ones that used to be used on our marshes were bigger and decked in.
    Norfolk punts were double ended, although the only surviving one from around here had a relatively wide transom stern.

They could be sailed as well,

I love the fact that the Norfolk Punts are a thorough bread racing boat but can still shoot bridges
    https://youtu.be/xi1W2FSoM4g
    And this is just .....
    https://vimeo.com/129661808

https://tinkboats.wordpress.com
    http://proasail.blogspot.co.uk
    What I get up to
    https://youtu.be/X9NZEyvpb_Y Streaker dinghy
    https://youtu.be/oni-3rJzxqQ Sail Canoe
    https://youtu.be/eW078PPgJak Proa
    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

IMG_2302.jpg
    Well, well. While the outwale scarfs harden up (I decided to scarf on my little spar/oar/wale bench. Yes, it is floor level like most of my stuff, which makes working with pull saws and foot clamps much easier.) I decided to lay on the base for a camouflage job. I think I will,emulate the kayak and do a grassy grass look, which will help around here.

If nothing else, it makes the boat nearly invisible when stashed in the tall grass for a bit...

Anywho. The thwart and its massive ply knee are being made, and I'll put them in next, before I laminate on the outwales.

I also decided to laminate the thole blocks in place after the wales are on. I think I can make stronger blocks, less prone to split, by gluing up some "bases" and gluing a "cap" on them. Of course, the whole works will be half lapped into the frames on each end, still. I just think these will be better than scribed blocks with the stock I have on hand.

I would love some nice flitches of oak to scribe and cut them from, but I'd also like a lot of things I don't have right now.

Incidentally, the gun picture explained to me why the thwart was so low. I thought to move mine up a tad, until I saw the gun. Now I know the thwart was at the right height to aim the gun just so, so the gun has become an integral part of the build, now. I will use the fake one to finish carving the groove through the breasthook and bow, somthe gun aims "just so" with the breech resting on the thwart...

Oh, yeah. Hand sanding the oars in anticipation of wrapping them, then applying clear finish.

Peace,
    Robert

P.S. The idea that the triangular upper rear end is to provide recoil buoyancy is one that never occurred to me, but I think it is probably right on. Super cool. I like to learn stuff. Thanks, Tink.

Love seeing you rapid progress Robert.
    My thought on the triangular transom is just an idea, it could equally to take a sculling oar.

IMG_2312.jpg
    This is the part where you say to yourself, "What have I done?!" Hehe.

Whee!

Peace,
    Robert

Quote Originally Posted by johnw View Post
    Nice camo!
    Thanks, Yo.
    IMG_2313.jpg
    Here's a few more layers. Maybe 4-6 more rounds and she should be good to go.

Peace,
    Robert

Got the breasthook partially grooved and installed. I'll finish the groove through the stem and outwale/stem cap thing.

Tomorrow the thwart goes in, then the outwales go on, then the thole pads.

Whee!

Peace,
    Robert
    We sort of know what happens to big bearded guys wearing hoodies and carrying toy guns, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Canoeyawl View Post
    We sort of know what happens to big bearded guys wearing hoodies and carrying toy guns, right?
    Well, think of all the hassle it would save so many people. Lots of wasted bandwidth could be saved were I unable to post, eh?

Peace,
    Robert

NICE PAINT JOB Rob

sw
    "we are the people, our parents warned us about" (jb)

steve

Quote Originally Posted by swoody126 View Post
    NICE PAINT JOB Rob

sw
    Thank you. Only about half done. I like the blues in it. Next comes orange!

Peace,
    Robert

Quote Originally Posted by SKIP KILPATRICK View Post
    looking good!
    Thanks, Yo. I'm sorry I missed this, but the little notes do help one feel a bit les like a blow hard screaming into a closet.

I generally feel reticent to share these crappy boats, and more so when I am posed as somebody who knows anything. I simply enjoy building stuff, and boats tickle me no end, so I've built a few of them.

The end is nigh, though, for sure. My beachcruiser sailboat is almost done, then wife's motorboat rehab needs finished, and I have one more boat I'd like to build, as my little retirement cottage/hobby.

You know what I REALLY like making? Oars and paddles. I can't paddle for more than about 30 minutes anymore, though, before the discs just mushed all the way out of the way and the bones start grinding. Then the white flashes start, and paddling gets hard.

What? I don't know.

I started with the wee sailboats when I couldn't paddle, anymore. There's where that was heading.

Anyway. Thanks, Skip.

Peace,
    Robert

IMG_2314.jpg
    The worst part of building a wooden boat is finding anything remotely like decent wood.

Kidding. I see a lot of "construction" grade materials, and I do a lot of culling. This stick was actually a lumberyard 2x.

Normally, though, I like to buy wood from local mills, because there are quite a few up in the hills proper. In fact, I just found a new one I have never seen, and it looks fairly large. Hmmm.

Peace,
    Robert

IMG_2316.jpg
    An interim shot of the first layer of outwales. I decided to scarf these in place, then put the one piece layer over this. What? I'm fickle. Anyway, I wanted to get the thwart and framing in and the screws buried before I put the last layers of "grass" on. Hehe.
    I will get all the rest of the wood into this puppy before I finish the paint.
    Whee!

Peace,
    Robert

P.S. Oh, yeah. I can also taper the front edges of the false strakes into the stem under the outwales before finishing the "grass", too. The plan says to, so I aim to.

Thanks, Yo. I'm sorry I missed this, but the little notes do help one feel a bit les like a blow hard screaming into a closet.

I generally feel reticent to share these crappy boats, and more so when I am posed as somebody who knows anything. I simply enjoy building stuff, and boats tickle me no end, so I've built a few of them.

The end is nigh, though, for sure. My beachcruiser sailboat is almost done, then wife's motorboat rehab needs finished, and I have one more boat I'd like to build, as my little retirement cottage/hobby.

You know what I REALLY like making? Oars and paddles. I can't paddle for more than about 30 minutes anymore, though, before the discs just mushed all the way out of the way and the bones start grinding. Then the white flashes start, and paddling gets hard.

What? I don't know.

I started with the wee sailboats when I couldn't paddle, anymore. There's where that was heading.

Anyway. Thanks, Skip.

Peace,
    Robert
    Have a word with yourself Robert, what you share about your 'crappy little boats' is pure inspiration to others. I am blown away with the speed of your building, I log on mainly to see what you have been up to.

Have a word with yourself Robert, what you share about your 'crappy little boats' is pure inspiration to others. I am blown away with the speed of your building, I log on mainly to see what you have been up to.
    Thanks, Yo. Just being honest. These type deals are just quick and dirty. On purpose. We use the heck out of them with no concerns, because they are cheap and goofy.

The lapstrake canoe? It wasn't much fun, really. Too delicate.

The speed is mainly due to the simplicity of the boat, really. I get an hour or maybe two a day, tops. Baby steps. Well, plus I really am rushing to get his one done.

The trailer for the daysailer is easier to procrastinate over when doing other things.

Peace,
    Robert

Hi Robert.
    I'm another following this thread with interest and enjoyment. Building a boat like this is on my list of things to put on my list of things to do when I have finished some of the things on my to-do list.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Keep on doodling.
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Mcjim View Post
    Hi Robert.
    I'm another following this thread with interest and enjoyment. Building a boat like this is on my list of things to put on my list of things to do when I have finished some of the things on my to-do list.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Keep on doodling.
    Mike
    Mike,
    Thanks, Mate! Kind words.
    I do try and have fun in life, being as it is so short, eh?

It never gets old.

Peace,
    Robert

IMG_2317.jpg
    Thwarted. Hehe. I plan to put the big knee thing in after the glue dries. Then I'll drill the mast hole and set the step in place with a dummy mast. The partner area will be reinforced with some through rivets.

I have also begun laminating in the thole blocks, and I'm getting ready to glue on the outer layer of outwale.

Whee!

Peace,
    Robert
    Last edited by amish rob; 09-17-2017 at 06:01 PM.

+1 On that, Rob. The guys building like I wish I could are the ones I'm reading. This thread has me pulling all the small plans and the Payson instant boat books out thinking maybe I can do it too.
    Last edited by Bill Hubbard; 09-17-2017 at 06:44 PM. Reason: Spelling

Bill

look at Gavin Atkin's book ULTRASIMPLE BOATBUILDING

http://www.duckworksbbs.com/media/books/usbb/index.htm

several cool designs in it complete w/ plans and "how to's"

sw
    "we are the people, our parents warned us about" (jb)

steve