Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Duck Punt

Well, it's not all hope and guesses. I did make a semblance of a frame table.
    This is the midship most frame. #3 on the FloMo plans.

Meanwhile, one of my minions is gluing down a 9mm ply reinforcement to go under the mast step.

Peace,
    Robert

Default Re: Duck Punt

I'm using 6' spruce marine store oars, off the rack. Heavy and a bit clunky, but strong, fitting the boat's style.

I wouldn't want to use a longer set... the boat is narrow and with the rowing seat down on the floorboards, I need to cross hands mid stroke. It is relatively comfortable and efficient though.

The knees need to be trimmed to clear the butt block, but the frame is done. Only a few more to go...

Peace,
    Robert

edit to add: the frame needs filler blocks between the knees, too.
    Last edited by amish rob; 07-11-2017 at 03:25 PM.

Okay, the knee gaps are filled with glued in filler blocks, and the knees are trimmed to fit the butt block. So, one down...

And, one that's almost ready to have filler blocks glued in.

Then, there will be two down.

Once I get a few frames together, I'll tack it all together, figure and cut the bevels, and then build and install the others, measuring and cutting any bevels as I go.

Peace,
    Robert

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Noyes View Post
    LOL! No joke, right?!

Excited but you're definitely on the wrong coast. All your new friends now live this a-way. Cooooome, cooooooome join uuuusssssss.

hey Robert, am i seeing gussets made w/ a hole saw?

nicely dunn

sw
    "we are the people, our parents warned us about" (jb)

steve

Quote Originally Posted by swoody126 View Post
    hey Robert, am i seeing gussets made w/ a hole saw?

nicely dunn

sw
    If I were more clever, I'm sure I would have. Just regular old jigsaw cuts, though. All the knees I've seen in the other boats have those rounded knees, so I'm attempting to emulate the look.

Peace,
    Robert

Geez, what a terrible picture, eh?
    Haha.
    Three frames done.
    I need to paint the frame "table" to avoid confusion, then I'll make the others.
    These two end frames will get rough bevels, then I'll try and pull it all together again.

Peace,
    Robert[/QUOTE]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Duuuuuuck Punter! Back at it again with the white frame board.
    This is the fourth one, coincidentally it is also Frame #4. I did 3, then 5, then 1, now 4. Next is 2!

1 and 3, awaiting further attention. 5 is getting his plugs glued in. To his knees...
    The sticks are a pair of 1 x 6" boards that also happen to be 83" long. I'm going to have juuuust enough to cut three loom layers from each stick. Whoo-hoo! Oars!

Peace,
    Picking Away
    Last edited by amish rob; 07-14-2017 at 02:06 PM.

I got so bored of building frames, which I am still doing anyway, I decided to build some steering and moving sticks.
    These little cuties should do just fine, I hope.

One more frame to finish gluing up and rough beveling, then the panels can go back together for real, and permanently.

Peace,
    Robert

I like the shape of your moving sticks. I look forwards to hearing how much this ends up weighing.

Quote Originally Posted by skaraborgcraft View Post
    I like the shape of your moving sticks. I look forwards to hearing how much this ends up weighing.
    Hehe. Me too.

I had thought to glass the whole exterior, but may just do a job on the bottom. The glass on the bottoms really helps around here, where granite boulders lurk. They will gouge plywood but good, but generally only scratch glass, and not very deeply.
    We shall see when it's all together whether it needs a full coat. It will depend on the weight.

Incidentally, I have a nice weather window starting tomorrow which will see a concentrated glassing effort here. A certain long suffering foil is to be wrapped in preparation for final installation...

Peace,
    Robert

Good thread. Like the idea of using the table saw to cut the hand grips on the oars. If you did the last bit end on to the blade you'd get a nice curved transition to the loom. Of course I haven't tried it yet.
    My take is that if you poke someone with a sharp stick they'll get annoyed, if you smile and shake their hand they will be your friends.

John Welsford

Cut and roughed rough. I'll cut and rough the other one, then smooth them down together.
    I'll do the blades last, and at the same time. With a wood eraser.

I actually think I should have left one of these on. I'm not sure which one, though. Oh, well.

Peace,
    Robert

P.S. Frames 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5 are glued up and ready. Frame 6 is being laid out (It the one way aft on this boat, where the planks have split) and the very forward frame (which is a bulkhead on the FloMo plan) needs to be made.
    I'm calling it The New Frame Zero.

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    Good thread. Like the idea of using the table saw to cut the hand grips on the oars. If you did the last bit end on to the blade you'd get a nice curved transition to the loom. Of course I haven't tried it yet.
    I don't own a table saw, actually. I haven't for some years. I honestly don't miss it at all. These were all cut with a jig saw and hand saw.

Peace,
    Robert

I found that a taper on the hand grip was of no benefit.....might be my hands or the taper i put on mine, but i found not as comfortable as a straight grip. Oddly, my Greenland paddle that has an almost square loom, i have found to be very comfortable to grip. Never seen a motorcycle with tapered grips.......

I found that a taper on the hand grip was of no benefit.....might be my hands or the taper i put on mine, but i found not as comfortable as a straight grip. Oddly, my Greenland paddle that has an almost square loom, i have found to be very comfortable to grip. Never seen a motorcycle with tapered grips.......
    Hehe. There's about an inch too much on the handle, yet. Just working my way down from the rough square. The handles and final rounding I'll do together during the shaping of the blades. I'll use a scale, to get them a set matched as possible.
    And then I'll cut both handles to the same length, too.

Peace,
    Robert

Well. The 5 main frames are done-ish. Hehe. Made, ready to bevel and prep, etc. I'm just going to go ahead and finish the last two frames (forwardmost and aftmost) and the transom bit, then be able to stick her together, finally.

Work continues on the oars. The second oars is cut to shape, fixing to get roughed round, like the first. The blades will both be done at the same time with the wood eraser.

It's weird not making foils for a sailboat.

Peace,
    Robert

P.S. I'm sure we don't need another picture of a frame and an oar, eh? When there is some progress that LOOKS different, I'll post some pictures of it. Hehe.

I jointed four pieces of frame stock and glued them into two wide pieces of frame stock.
    Then I marked the shape of Frame 6 on the paired frames, and I'm fixing to cut them out.

Only one more frame to make...

Peace,
    Robert

Hey! Pretty close...

This is from the bottom frame piece. I had to thin it just a bit to get it to the same thickness as the side frame pieces.

Peace,
    Robert

Just picking away at the leeboard, rudder, and oars. Hehehe.

These are ready to be kissed with the old disc sander, then some hand sanding, then some leathering, which I'm probably going to use a seizing of seine twine until I get it all sussed out. Then I may get all fancy and really leather them.

The last frame is being laid down on the frame board, too. So. Achingly. Close. To starting to put it together. Hehe.

Peace,
    Robert

Oh, hey. Anyone got any ideas on how to fill that knot hole? Hehe. I think I'm funny, y'all. Leave me be.

I might cut the thing out and put in a dutchman, but then again, i might drive some small pins into the inside of the knothole to hold some poxy-bog. Imagine how much closer that frame would be if you used a sharp pencil. Nice shaving that, i have a bag full of them i use for fire starters.

Tis a fine looking knot.

I might cut the thing out and put in a dutchman, but then again, i might drive some small pins into the inside of the knothole to hold some poxy-bog. Imagine how much closer that frame would be if you used a sharp pencil. Nice shaving that, i have a bag full of them i use for fire starters.
    Have you any idea how far away the pencil sharpener is? Hehe.

The shaving was just there in the way. Normally they pile up under the horse or the benchette, but this one was done in situ, so shavings on the board!

As to the knot, I was joking about a thread somewhere else about plugging know holes. There were several very elegant solutions provided on the thread. I think I'm going to leave it, though. It kind of looks cool, and it can be a marker to indicate which oar to use.
    I imagine I will develop a favorite oar. I imagine it will be the knotty one, too.

Today I hope to get the loom/blade transition worked out with the big sander, and the final,frame made. If everything goes to plan (ha!) the hull will be reassembled for real assembly Sunday or Monday.

Peace,
    Robert

hey Robert

you can always tell those who question the knot's presence thatit was PLANNED for snagging trotlines you are running

we actually cut a notch in our fishing boat paddles for that purpose ;-)

LEAVE IT !!!

sw
    "we are the people, our parents warned us about" (jb)

steve

hey Robert

you can always tell those who question the knot's presence thatit was PLANNED for snagging trotlines you are running

LEAVE IT !!!

sw
    that's the "sculling notch"...

hey Robert

LEAVE IT !!!

sw
    So let it be written, so let it be done.

Peace,
    Old Notchy

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Noyes View Post
    that's the "sculling notch"...
    Ah, yes. For the discerning articulated sculling practioner, we present pin to blade notch multi axis propulsion and attitude control.

Peace,
    Avant Garde Pre Punter

Well. Close enough. Now I'll match them, then final sand, by hand this time, and some finish.

Peace,
    Robert

Leave the knot hole, but you will need to reduce the size of the other oar blade to compensate so each oar will transmit equal amounts of power, otherwise you will be rowing around in circles.

Quote Originally Posted by ulav8r View Post
    Leave the knot hole, but you will need to reduce the size of the other oar blade to compensate so each oar will transmit equal amounts of power, otherwise you will be rowing around in circles.
    Oh, no. I'm going to ADD weight to the other oar. This is to be a gymkhana style duck punt, and I think the miss matched oar weights will facilitate doing "donuts" around buoys much easier.

If anyone don't know what gymkhana is, they should google it. It's a weird car driving sport.

Peace,
    Robert

Or, Leave the knot hole, take the cannoli...

Haha.

Peace,
    Don Roberto

Quote Originally Posted by amish rob View Post
    Ah, yes. For the discerning articulated sculling practioner, we present pin to blade notch multi axis propulsion and attitude control.

Peace,
    Avant Garde Pre Punter
    I'm not exactly sure what all this means... but it sounds very expensive... I'm afraid that punting maybe becoming an exclusive pastime for the upper crusts of society... likely beyond my means

Quote Originally Posted by amish rob View Post
    Oh, no. I'm going to ADD weight to the other oar. This is to be a gymkhana style duck punt, and I think the miss matched oar weights will facilitate doing "donuts" around buoys much easier.

If anyone don't know what gymkhana is, they should google it. It's a weird car driving sport.

Peace,
    Robert
    No, no, no, This is Gymkhana
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.