Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 910

Thread: Duck Punt

Default Re: Duck Punt

Quote Originally Posted by tink View Post
    Happiness is seeing ther is a Duck Punt post in your inbox, oh and sipping on a beer after resigning from my current assignment.
    Thanks for the kind words.

Now, as I go look for the wee little cleats to put up a picture, whatís all this about resigning? Good or bad?
    What manner of beer? Iíve an ale, a lager and a porter just now.

Peace,
    Robert

Quote Originally Posted by amish rob View Post
    Thanks for the kind words.

Now, as I go look for the wee little cleats to put up a picture, what’s all this about resigning? Good or bad?
    What manner of beer? I’ve an ale, a lager and a porter just now.

Peace,
    Robert
    I retired a while back and I had the plan to do about ten hours a week to just keep my hand in. September onwards is always a bit dry so I accepted 35 hours, recently I cut it to 21hours but still affecting my life, work, boat balance so something had to give.

The beer was a nice strong Ruby Ale, now post dinner one glass of red wine, just the one, with my new freedom I’ll be collecting my racing Dinghy for her winter rebuild.

I retired a while back and I had the plan to do about ten hours a week to just keep my hand in. September onwards is always a bit dry so I accepted 35 hours, recently I cut it to 21hours but still affecting my life, work, boat balance so something had to give.

The beer was a nice strong Ruby Ale, now post dinner one glass of red wine, just the one, with my new freedom Iíll be collecting my racing Dinghy for her winter rebuild.
    Glad it wasnít a tragic parting.
    The only ale I had was an ipa, so I had the porter instead. I did toast your newfound free time!

Peace,
    Robert

Glad it wasn’t a tragic parting.
    The only ale I had was an ipa, so I had the porter instead. I did toast your newfound free time!

Peace,
    Robert
    May have a slight headache from celebrating my freedom but much better than the stress headache of the past few weeks and this one will be gone soon.

Off to do boaty things

I made the stick thing more roundier. Not much to see, but itís more roundier. Iíll get the whole thing roundied soon, then get the boom jaws fitted to the stick thing, then riveted to the boom.

It might happen.

Peace,
    Robert

499CA610-DC9B-49A7-A914-ED0F8D20862B.jpg
    Not much progress aside from a slightly more round mast. Almost there.

The punt gun apparatus is now being attended to. I learned I can do this. Hehehe.

Peace,
    Robert

Nothing wrong with a good porter. You end is looking very much like a blunderbuss.....scary.

do you know the difference between a saloon & an elephant phart ?

a saloon is sometimes called a BAR ROOM

an elephant phart more closely resembles a BA-ROOOOOM ;-)

sw
    "we are the people, our parents warned us about" (jb)

steve

Hehe. Sorry for the dearth of displays, but I have been distracted by the ďbigĒ boat. And, since I ainít got no sail, I ainít exactly rushing through the tedious rounding of the mast. Iím taking my time, and using the handy dandy boom jaws cum calipers to measure the success. Hehe.

The gun has transmorphed into anotherís beast altogether. I have figured out how to make a tapered pvc barrel, so I am aiming (Harhar) for a really obnoxiously large gun, now. Hehe.

The kids have mentioned the notion of having the gun be a self contained unit, having battery and pump built in. That way, they imagine being able to simpl6nuse it as an oversized squirt gun anywhere they can stick the feed tube in water...

I like the way they think.

Peace,
    Robert

No pictures, yet, but the mast is done. Well, itís all cut out and rounded. It fits the step like a glove, and loose enough in the partners to allow a collar in the thwart, and some leather on the mast.
    The boom needs a bit of work, yet, as does the sprit, but some of it wants to wait until I know some more about where things interact with each other, you know?

I may just cave and make a cheap tarp sail to set up the rig, if nothing else. I can figure out all I need to figure out about how much string and such with a quickly made, flat cut sail. Then, when I score a sail, or make or get a proper one, I can be ready to go.

Oh, I have an old tarp that I can chop up to the shape and size of the opti sail. If I donít tug too hard, I can get the ballpark lengths for the running rigging, I think.

Iíll take a picture when I get it all set up.

Peace,
    Robert

946D426F-05F6-4748-9EB9-8900FA914B26.jpg
    Hey! It fits! Yea!

Peace,
    Robert

Well, the tarp ďsailĒ is done and allowed me to set up the rig. I need to finish off the spars, including chafing bits for where the spars cross and jaws rub.
    Then Iím going to sail it. Yes, with this ghastly almost sail shaped abomination. Maybe Iíll get a real sail for Christmas.

Peace,
    Robert

BFE154AA-BD17-4CD0-9073-61A0D3C464D0.jpg
    This is the end of the sheet. The little thimble there will slide along a bridle under the boom, similar to what Iíve seen on other duck punts.
    2877E374-BAF5-44D5-8C5C-338C0228E0DC.jpg
    Of course the line is cheap crap. Have you not been reading along? I assure you all, the proper sail will also get proper cordage. Until then, itís whats on hand.

The thimble was turned on the pole lathe from a branch of persimmon wood. Being a total cheapskate, and really lazy, I simply buntline hitched the sheet onto the thimble. Then I added a seizing, though. And a few double constrictors to keep the ends together.

On the real rig, Iíll splice the sheet around the thimble. I kind of like it. Iím getting good with the lathe.

Peace,
    Maybe Sailing This Week...

Very pleased you are getting to sail your wonderful Punt. I will have a word with Santa about the sail.

BFE154AA-BD17-4CD0-9073-61A0D3C464D0.jpg
    This is the end of the sheet. The little thimble there will slide along a bridle under the boom, similar to what I’ve seen on other duck punts.
    2877E374-BAF5-44D5-8C5C-338C0228E0DC.jpg
    Of course the line is cheap crap. Have you not been reading along? I assure you all, the proper sail will also get proper cordage. Until then, it’s whats on hand.

The thimble was turned on the pole lathe from a branch of persimmon wood. Being a total cheapskate, and really lazy, I simply buntline hitched the sheet onto the thimble. Then I added a seizing, though. And a few double constrictors to keep the ends together.

On the real rig, I’ll splice the sheet around the thimble. I kind of like it. I’m getting good with the lathe.

Peace,
    Maybe Sailing This Week...
    The line might be cheap, but the workmanship is quality.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Quote Originally Posted by Peerie Maa View Post
    The line might be cheap, but the workmanship is quality.
    Thanks, Mate. The lower end of the seizing bothers me, because it looks untidy, but that is actually a constrictor knot over the top.
    I canít wait to get some nice stuff. Iím thinking to use some single braid for my sheet and tuck a nice brummel splice into it around the thimble.

Peace,
    Robert

P.S. I am loving the lathe. Iím making another tool for it. I ruined attempt three last night. Fourth timeís a charm! Hehe.

Very pleased you are getting to sail your wonderful Punt. I will have a word with Santa about the sail.
    Me, too! Iím excited, and nervous. Iím terrible enough at sailing a real boat with a board and rudder and freeboard.
    We are planning a real excursion, though, including taking one of the kidís friends who has never been to the mountains, to a lake, or on a boat.
    She will be barged around like a princess on the poling punt, while we attempt to take frigid baths in the duck punt.

Peace,
    Robert

Me, too! I’m excited, and nervous. I’m terrible enough at sailing a real boat with a board and rudder and freeboard.
    We are planning a real excursion, though, including taking one of the kid’s friends who has never been to the mountains, to a lake, or on a boat.
    She will be barged around like a princess on the poling punt, while we attempt to take frigid baths in the duck punt.

Peace,
    Robert
    Jealous, well below freezing here most of the time. Boat in the shed waiting for it to be warm enough for some Epoxy work.

Rob, sure is nice of you perfecting all the trial n error steps b4 i finish my meese project

'twill be nice reviewing your instructional thread if/when i get started on one of these firgid bath tubs ;-)

sw

steve

Jealous, well below freezing here most of the time. Boat in the shed waiting for it to be warm enough for some Epoxy work.
    Oh, we are into the hard freezes, here, too. We get ice in the morning, and if it were damp enough, weíd have snow. Our favorite lake is too cold to sail on in this thing. Nobody wants to go in the water now. It is deadly cold in the summer, but in the winter the water combined with air temps will kill quickly. Really, all our lakes are deep, snowmelt impounds. The water is cold, all year long.

We will be farting around on an oxbow turned pond on the river we frequent. Itís only maybe an acre or two, and never more than knee deep, though it is cold, too. The air temps down in the valley are a dozen degrees warmer than up the hill, though so it should be a nice day.

Peace,
    Robert

Quote Originally Posted by swoody126 View Post
    Rob, sure is nice of you perfecting all the trial n error steps b4 i finish my meese project

'twill be nice reviewing your instructional thread if/when i get started on one of these firgid bath tubs ;-)

sw
    I have been in the Gulf waters. Impossible to have a frigid bath in them. I cannot wait to return to them. Iím bringing a long sleeve swim shirt and full face swim mask, though. Jellyfish!

Peace,
    Robert

I have been in the Gulf waters. Impossible to have a frigid bath in them. I cannot wait to return to them. I’m bringing a long sleeve swim shirt and full face swim mask, though. Jellyfish!

Peace,
    Robert
    last Friday morning in Port Aransas

Ņ what waz that you were saying, Rob ?

sw

steve

last Friday morning in Port Aransas

Ņ what waz that you were saying, Rob ?

sw
    Sure. But what was the WATER temp? You know ours is always in the 50s? Maybe hit the low 60s for a few weeks. Itís darn chilly in the water.

That is a beautiful picture, by the by. I saw it on your thread.

Peace,
    Robert

water temps were still just above 70ļ ;-)

sw

steve

water temps were still just above 70ļ ;-)

sw
    See? In a snowstorm, just get in the Gulf to keep warm. Awesome!

Peace,
    Robert

DB129D36-F822-4D79-8AF3-DE28325E0532.jpg
    Hey. Itís almost like I knew what I was doing. It appears very sloppy, but that is the rounded upper edge. The fit is just snug enough for the very thin nylon chafe band that will go around the mast. Ahem.
    I plan to put a pivot bearing on the base of the mast, yet, but it already weather cocks easily with just the sprit shipped. No boom on the sail and it spins just so easily. Yea!

EB3197ED-7808-44D5-92E4-C6AEFA03DE58.jpg
    I donít know why this shot. To show how sloppy I am at gluing?
    Iím fine tuning the boom, and then I should be able to put the whole rig up for real. Whee!

Peace,
    Robert

P.S. Yes, the partner sleeve engages the soon-to-be base of the punt gun PERFECTLY...

DB129D36-F822-4D79-8AF3-DE28325E0532.jpg
    Hey. It’s almost like I knew what I was doing. It appears very sloppy, but that is the rounded upper edge. The fit is just snug enough for the very thin nylon chafe band that will go around the mast. Ahem.
    I plan to put a pivot bearing on the base of the mast, yet, but it already weather cocks easily with just the sprit shipped. No boom on the sail and it spins just so easily. Yea!

EB3197ED-7808-44D5-92E4-C6AEFA03DE58.jpg
    I don’t know why this shot. To show how sloppy I am at gluing?
    I’m fine tuning the boom, and then I should be able to put the whole rig up for real. Whee!

Peace,
    Robert

P.S. Yes, the partner sleeve engages the soon-to-be base of the punt gun PERFECTLY...
    Good work, big advocate of the rotating mast on small open boats to allow for weather cocking. Interested hear what you propose to keep the mast in the foot if you go over. Obviously if the mast comes out with all the leaverage it can very easily damage the mast thwart.

Good work, big advocate of the rotating mast on small open boats to allow for weather cocking. Interested hear what you propose to keep the mast in the foot if you go over. Obviously if the mast comes out with all the leaverage it can very easily damage the mast thwart.
    Iíve no idea. Frankly, should his boat capsize in any but knee deep water, I think the rig would be the least of my concerns. Seriously. A capsize in this boat would not be self recoverable, so I think Iíd prefer the mast come out anyway.

I have zero experience with these craft. I am basing the rig on the optimist/duck punt hybrids Iíve seen most prevalently on the webernet.

Peace,
    Robert

I used some specs I found for spar sizes and Iím just not happy with how bendy the boom is. Pulling the outhaul tight bows the boom. Poop.
    So, I glued on another stick beneath, to create a sort of t-beam boom. I am planning to lengthen it just a few inches, too, and add a better outhaul mechanism.
    Meanwhile, I think the mast and sprit are all figured out, so I may begin to finish them. After the finish, I can put on the chafe gear.
    Getting closer...

Peace,
    Robert