Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 23

Thread: Duck Punt

Default Re: Duck Punt

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Noyes View Post
    I'm not exactly sure what all this means... but it sounds very expensive... I'm afraid that punting maybe becoming an exclusive pastime for the upper crusts of society... likely beyond my means
    You indicated the sculling notch might be in one oar blade. So, the oar with the sculling notch in the blade is held against the tholepin, sticking out athwart ships. Then, the other oar is placed into the sculling notch of the first oar.

Now we have a multi axis propulsion (sculling) and attitude control (steering, leeway), based on a thole pin and a blade notch.

I don't know how you managed to take that statement and twist it to indicate I was somehow putting on airs, or attempting to throw money at anything. Polysyllabic words generally have little bearing on the exchequer of the individual employing them, eh.

Peace,
    Still Ahead Of The Curve

Dang it Nick! You're right, of course, but only technically.

I meant the NEW kind.

Even though this video is pretty old, actually. Still. I like this one. The donuts on the barge get me.

Peace,
    Robert

Busted.

Here's the deal. I'm chipping away at a larger sailboat I've been building, which has now turned into some type of Kafka story. Whatever. One day it'll be done, or I'll turn into a bug, or some guys will shoot me.

Also, there is a long skinny powerboat I acquired for my wife awaiting a real proper once over. We intended to do a quick and dirty, but then investigated further and decided to do it right. Deck off and redone, several new frame/bulkheads, new cockpit, and all new chines, which means bottom off, then bottom back on. I may put a light sheathing of cloth on her, too, just because she is checking a bit with sun and age. Maaaaayyyyybeeee.

What that means is both spots in the garop are full. Default building spot for little boats (normally a SOF boat, but also simple ply or timber boats like punts and skiffs and pirogues and such) is the screen porch, but 3 boats ago I was banned from there. The new little rowboat for the kids went together under the pecan trees on the horses, so no big. The pedal car was also banned from the screen porch, by the by, and relocating her has caused even more delays to that long suffering, but near to working, project.

The duck punt, however, found its way onto the porch. Hehe. I am that most excellent combination of not sneaky and totally dumb.

Anyway. The pretty lady who feeds and clothes me pointed her finger AWAY from the porch, and I know I heard the word boat in there a few times. Lots and lots of bannable words. I'm just kidding y'all. My wife is the coolest lady ever.

The punt cannot stay, though. So I'm moving her. To a better place.

After the components are moved to their new spot, and the horses are leveled, she can get stuck together, though, because all the structural pieces, save the mast thwart, are done!

I have to admit, I'm totally charmed by this little boat. I keep sticking the panels together with duct tape, looking at her. If this boat is half as fun as I hope, I intend to throw up a permanent strong back for these in my new little lean to.
    Shoot, if I had a nice strong back and patterns for the bits, why my buddy around the way could cut panels on his cnc machine and I could make one of these in about 7 minutes.

Anyway.

Peace,
    Boat Shuffler

Get it down quick and come east, we will hide you.

Quote Originally Posted by callsign222 View Post
    Get it down quick and come east, we will hide you.
    Wait. What am I hiding from? Are the Men From the Commission going to fine me for being on the wrong coast? Remember one thing about right. Two wrongs don't make a right, but three right makes a left...

Done quick? Shoot, it ain't been all that long, and almost all the fiddling is done. I got a "real" boat that takes the bulk of my "free" time, and a car I'm inventing/imagining/building, too. Plus, all them kids and the house and the yard...

Shoot, I think this lark is fluttering right along. But I am SO ANXIOUS to launch her.

Peace,
    Robert, Avant Garde Left Coast Pre Punter

Quote Originally Posted by amish rob View Post
    Busted.

Here's the deal. I'm chipping away at a larger sailboat I've been building, which has now turned into some type of Kafka story. Whatever. One day it'll be done, or I'll turn into a bug, or some guys will shoot me.

Also, there is a long skinny powerboat I acquired for my wife awaiting a real proper once over. We intended to do a quick and dirty, but then investigated further and decided to do it right. Deck off and redone, several new frame/bulkheads, new cockpit, and all new chines, which means bottom off, then bottom back on. I may put a light sheathing of cloth on her, too, just because she is checking a bit with sun and age. Maaaaayyyyybeeee.

What that means is both spots in the garop are full. Default building spot for little boats (normally a SOF boat, but also simple ply or timber boats like punts and skiffs and pirogues and such) is the screen porch, but 3 boats ago I was banned from there. The new little rowboat for the kids went together under the pecan trees on the horses, so no big. The pedal car was also banned from the screen porch, by the by, and relocating her has caused even more delays to that long suffering, but near to working, project.

The duck punt, however, found its way onto the porch. Hehe. I am that most excellent combination of not sneaky and totally dumb.

Anyway. The pretty lady who feeds and clothes me pointed her finger AWAY from the porch, and I know I heard the word boat in there a few times. Lots and lots of bannable words. I'm just kidding y'all. My wife is the coolest lady ever.

The punt cannot stay, though. So I'm moving her. To a better place.

After the components are moved to their new spot, and the horses are leveled, she can get stuck together, though, because all the structural pieces, save the mast thwart, are done!

I have to admit, I'm totally charmed by this little boat. I keep sticking the panels together with duct tape, looking at her. If this boat is half as fun as I hope, I intend to throw up a permanent strong back for these in my new little lean to.
    Shoot, if I had a nice strong back and patterns for the bits, why my buddy around the way could cut panels on his cnc machine and I could make one of these in about 7 minutes.

Anyway.

Peace,
    Boat Shuffler
    I feel your pain. My long suffering wife has had to endure my relentless boat building addiction. Right now, in the garage, there is a rowing/sailing skiff on a rack in front of her Volvo and three canoes hanging directly over it. The new Palmer launch is crammed right next to it. I've been informed that the Palmer will be banned from the garage come winter. Personnally, I can see the Volvo sitting outside. Afterall, it came from an really cold country. Then, my takeover of the garage... I mean the boat garage... will be complete!
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Jones View Post
    I feel your pain. My long suffering wife has had to endure my relentless boat building addiction. Right now, in the garage, there is a rowing/sailing skiff on a rack in front of her Volvo and three canoes hanging directly over it. The new Palmer launch is crammed right next to it. I've been informed that the Palmer will be banned from the garage come winter. Personnally, I can see the Volvo sitting outside. Afterall, it came from an really cold country. Then, my takeover of the garage... I mean the boat garage... will be complete!
    Rich, we can hide you too. I know a safe house not far away. You know the one.

The gymkhana clip reminded me of Bullitt.

You would probably like the new movie Baby Driver.
    "Oh my god, Triscuits are, like, the best." L.F Herreshoff, The Compleat Cruiser

I left the notch. The problem is, they aren't exactly the same weight, and I think it's the notch.
    Less than an ounce, and they are as nearly identical in size as I can make them, and the same MC, both from the same stick.

I think I can live.

They need a good sanding, maybe a bit of love with the four in hand in a few spots, but they're done.

The boat is going to wait for a few while I do some major shop and garop work. There are great shiftings of materials and projects afoot.

In a few days I'll get this dang thing stuck together so I can gloop it up.

Then I gotta make the board and rudder... Hey! Hehe.

Peace,
    Robert

funny stuff robert! keep it up, we all need alot of humor these days. thx

jim

Quote Originally Posted by MADOC1 View Post
    funny stuff robert! keep it up, we all need alot of humor these days. thx

jim
    I really am trying to save all the humor for the attempts to sail this thing. I have a hard enough time with a regular rudder. Luckily, I am VERY experienced in sailing low sided, flat bottomed boats. Really. I can capsize like nobody.

I have had fun. More to come, and soon. Project Reorganize The Garop And Build A New Storage/Work Shed is well under way.

The final work on the punt will be the first thing to go down in the new Shed. So, there's that.

Peace,
    Notchy

Does that include a KLR shed or is that allowed on the porch?

Quote Originally Posted by skaraborgcraft View Post
    Does that include a KLR shed or is that allowed on the porch?
    Haha. Oh, there's a big shuffle. The motorbikes are going under the old "boat house", where the paddle boats live. The new shed will accommodate a bench, a horse for small boats (like the punt), and room to dry wood in a few stacks. The paddle boats will move to the eaves of the shed on racks.

Then, the creamsicle can be flipped onto her trailer (mods are almost done!), buttoned up, and moved out of the garop and used! A few details left, really. Interminable dang thing. Hehe.
    After that the powerboat moves into its final spot in the garop for a Full Monty rebuild. New chines, a few,frames, a new deck, new cockpit... You know, just a quick wipe with a damp rag.

I talked to a guy yesterday about a trailer for the KLR to tow the punt. SuperCamper!

Peace,
    Robert

Man, I have been agonizing over getting a good picture of "the foils", too. Haha. There is no way for me to capture the shape with my dumbness. Suffice to say, I am so, so, so happy I took way too much time on them, and I sincerely wish you could see them in person one day, eh. Not that my ham handed sailing will ever notice a difference. Hehe.
    Last edited by amish rob; 08-19-2017 at 11:22 PM.

The fact that they bring you pleasure (the foils) will no doubt increase, in your mind your apparent VMG. I was just recalling a guy on a motorbike delivering a 12ft roll of carpet......duck punt should be a go....trailer would help.

In a few days I'll get this dang thing stuck together so I can gloop it up.

Then I gotta make the board and rudder... Hey! Hehe.

Peace,
    Robert

what do you mean "board and rudder" ? I thought you were making a Duck Punt?

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Noyes View Post
    what do you mean "board and rudder" ? I thought you were making a Duck Punt?
    Oy. See the hehe? That is how I laugh. All the time. Hehe. It's funny. Everything. Life. Hehe.

The post you quoted was attached to a picture of the oars. Nearly done, save a bit of final shaping and smoothing with the papers, and some twine leathers (yes, I'm a savage), but the oars, nonetheless.

And, yes, it IS a duck punt. Which is why I joked about still having to make the board and rudder. First, there aren't REALLY any board and rudder. Second, the board and rudder are done. In the picture.

Often, the board and rudder are delays after the boat is done. Unless one plans carefully. Oars, too, really. Hehe.

Peace,
    Robert

Make sure that trailer is a good one, since you'll have to drag that thing all the way to Vermont to learn proper Duck punting from John Hartmann and company... I'll provide the very nice and dry photo boat.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

Duck punt does sound a bit like animal cruelty. And if you're punting from the thirty-yard line, kick it true to the center of the goal posts, do you still get the points should the duck decide to have nothing more to do with this game and flies off to the nearest marsh?
    "... the door was ajar, and the game was afoot." Lawrence Block

Quote Originally Posted by webishop14 View Post
    Duck punt does sound a bit like animal cruelty. And if you're punting from the thirty-yard line, kick it true to the center of the goal posts, do you still get the points should the duck decide to have nothing more to do with this game and flies off to the nearest marsh?
    You misapprehend. 'Tis the duck who does the punting.

The little welts they leave are quite unique.

Oh, quack, here they come! Run!

Peace,
    Mallardjusted

Gotta join this madness ...... well i have had little attention elsewhere - but in the spirit of the game, may i present my Super Duckpunt!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=l4uFLFrT-y0&sns=em

(Second half of the short video)
    Frank

Oh, hey. Anyone got any ideas on how to fill that knot hole? Hehe. I think I'm funny, y'all. Leave me be.
    Funny, exact same thing happened to me not 30 min ago as I was shimming down on the blade to get it into its final shape - identical spot as your knot, just a bit smaller. Not wanting to be the weirdo in the marina with a less-than-whole oar, I was was able to find the knot that fell off amid the centimetre thick sawdust laying under the areas I was shaving off the blade. It may not help you at this time but one idea would be to look in the sawdust pile? If you're as big a procrastinator as I am, the dust pile should still be there, waiting to grow grass or other form of life. If so, just find it and glue it in place. That's what I did, will find out tomorrow if it's holding up.
    Nice oars, btw. I went a different direction but so far, looking good, "holeless" and all.

As much as I am for personalization, this is one "mod" I can do without

Quote Originally Posted by Joolz View Post
    Funny, exact same thing happened to me not 30 min ago as I was shimming down on the blade to get it into its final shape - identical spot as your knot, just a bit smaller. Not wanting to be the weirdo in the marina with a less-than-whole oar, I was was able to find the knot that fell off amid the centimetre thick sawdust laying under the areas I was shaving off the blade. It may not help you at this time but one idea would be to look in the sawdust pile? If you're as big a procrastinator as I am, the dust pile should still be there, waiting to grow grass or other form of life. If so, just find it and glue it in place. That's what I did, will find out tomorrow if it's holding up.
    Nice oars, btw. I went a different direction but so far, looking good, "holeless" and all.

As much as I am for personalization, this is one "mod" I can do without
    Well, honestly, I was joking about another thread that was about filling knot holes in planking I had commented on. I was trying to, anyway.

The knot is surely in the pile under the shaving horse, but who knows how deep I'd have to dig? Hehe.

Were I to fix this knot, really, I'd have cut it out and glued in another piece, then just carved that down. Not to big a deal. Or reamed out the hole and glued in a plug.

I like the idea of leaving it, though, especially as this boat will hopefully NEVER be rowed, but will be sailed everywhere with only one oar at a time, anyway. Hehe.

These oars, by the by, are simply scaled down versions of those oars Nick showed, sortof.

Peace,
    Robert

P.S. Even with symmetrical oars, I am weird, no matter where I am.

Peace,
    Robert

P.S. Even with symmetrical oars, I am weird, no matter where I am.
    having difficulty keeping both oars in the water at the same time is becomming more n more of a challenge as tyme goes on... ;-)

sw
    "we are the people, our parents warned us about" (jb)

steve