Page 1 of 10 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Duck Punt

Default Duck Punt

Well, we have decided the pirogue needs a replacement/partner. We almost just made another pirogue, because we like them, and the pattern is well worn in my mind. Well, really, I have a master knee pattern for the one frame (which is also the angle of the lower stem knuckles, so the stem pieces can be pre made, too. Yes, the at stem bevel is marked on the pattern, too. Who's smart?) and the numbers for measuring out the panels.

The ply is already in hand, so there's not a bunch to it, really.

I have the plans, both a set of John Milgate's, and a set of the panel expansions Flo-Mo drew. Thanks to both parties for making the lines available for use.

I'm fairly unsure of how the build will progress, and how pictures will go up. Ahem. Well, it will be quick and dirty, for sure, because it's to be used and experimented with. If we just love it to pieces, I suppose more could be built. 3 sheets of ply and some wood ain't much, especially if it's a glue and screw job with no glass.

Anyway. Here will be born another punt. Sporadically, around my other large project (which is at a "waiting for cure" stage a lot, lately (), and Life and work.

I really think I want to do a breasthook with the little barrel groove down the middle. Hehe.

Peace,
    Robert

Default Re: Duck Punt

Well. I needed to "process" these panels, so rather than hope I cut the right shapes for making planks later, I simply plotted out Flo-Mo's panels. Thank you!

Lofting in metric is nice, eh?

Anyway, the panels are drawn and the sides are cut out. The bottom is fixing to get cut out. I will put up pictures when there are some. Does,anyone really want to see faint lines on plywood?

Peace,
    Robert

Looking forward to this, Rob. The world needs more duckpunting. I used mine as a tender for my Phoenix III last week when she was on a mooring at WoodenBoat. It was fun to duckpunt around 12 1/2s and schooners in the harbor.

Quote Originally Posted by amish rob View Post
    Well. I needed to "process" these panels, so rather than hope I cut the right shapes for making planks later, I simply plotted out Flo-Mo's panels. Thank you!

Lofting in metric is nice, eh?

Anyway, the panels are drawn and the sides are cut out. The bottom is fixing to get cut out. I will put up pictures when there are some. Does,anyone really want to see faint lines on plywood?

Peace,
    Robert
    Oh, yeah, we want to see all the pictures! My latest thread started out as a photo of the empty lofting floor. Will there be doodles involved in the final paintwork?
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Jones View Post
    Oh, yeah, we want to see all the pictures! My latest thread started out as a photo of the empty lofting floor. Will there be doodles involved in the final paintwork?
    Well, being as it's a duck punt, I think it should camouflaged in some manner. I've done loads of camo jobs, though. I did think some king of monochromatic dazzle style scheme would be nice.

Then again, I may just paint it grey. Har har.

Incidentally, if this thing really is fun, I'll make more. Maybe we can have a punt regatta out here?

Peace,
    Robert

Quote Originally Posted by jon m View Post
    Looking forward to this, Rob. The world needs more duckpunting. I used mine as a tender for my Phoenix III last week when she was on a mooring at WoodenBoat. It was fun to duckpunt around 12 1/2s and schooners in the harbor.
    We like goofy little boats a lot. We use them a bunch. I really can't paddle much, anymore, though, but I can lie in the bottom of a boat like I'm dead and hang onto a string.

Peace,
    Robert

We like goofy little boats a lot. We use them a bunch. I really can't paddle much, anymore, though, but I can lie in the bottom of a boat like I'm dead and hang onto a string.

Peace,
    Robert
    Lying in the bottom of a boat, you say? I think I can handle that. Perhaps that should be my next build also. There's also a couple of duckpunting forum members around these here parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Jones View Post
    Lying in the bottom of a boat, you say? I think I can handle that. Perhaps that should be my next build also. There's also a couple of duckpunting forum members around these here parts.
    Oh, yeah. I was introduced to them here. I saw some videos of them sailing in the most lazy and blissful fashion, and videos of them bashing along like VOR boats.

I'm back in the cycle of waiting for gloop to cure on the "big" boat, so during breaks on that, I'll throw this thing together. It isn't a lot of boat, especially undecked in the Milgate style.

Peace,
    Robert

WE'RE WAITING FOR PICS

sw
    "we are the people, our parents warned us about" (jb)

steve

Reviewing things, I seem to remember that a duck punt is no bigger then, and resembles, a coffin, which is exactly what my wife would use it for if I build another boat right away... I'd better give it some time...

Yar, there be skillets on these porches...

Well, why would I NOT split the stern?

Hehe. Dovebutts. Harhar. Actually, the side planks were laid out for scarfs, but I'd rather use butt blocks on this three ply fir, but I was being creatively lazy, and practicing cutting freehand joints.

Anyway. After I glue and screw the butt blocks, I can start to prop it up into boat shape and gloop the inside joints. Whee!

Peace,
    Robert

Yar, there be skillets on these porches...
    Peace,
    Robert

now your cookin' !

hey Robert,

nice beginning

i have been pondering a DP FOR A WHILE and will follow your build

what are you planning for a sail?

i c u have overcome the photo issue that had me stumped for over a week

BUILD ON...

sw

steve

Quote Originally Posted by swoody126 View Post
    hey Robert,

nice beginning

i have been pondering a DP FOR A WHILE and will follow your build

what are you planning for a sail?

i c u have overcome the photo issue that had me stumped for over a week

BUILD ON...

sw
    Oh, despite the quick and dirty nature of the boat, she'll be built right and proper like, and rigged with an opti sail.

As to the phot issue, I'm using tapatalk just now, and hoping as it's an app made for forums, they won't up and decide I need to pay more if I want to share pictures. Ahem.

Peace,
    Robert

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Noyes View Post
    now your cookin' !
    With gas! Wait...

Peace,
    Rudy Tooter

Well. The sides are screwed together, one atop the other, to ensure they are at least identical, if not right.
    Once dried, I'll suss out the upper strake shape and prepare them. I'll use scarfs for them, but they are just decorative, so I'm not worried about the lack of plies or wood quality.

Which. This is the handpicked best from a big stack of panels otherwise destined to be other stuff that isn't boats. Ugh.

I try and save the best stuff from any jobs and make dumb little boats with it. We beat them up having fun.

Anyway, the skillet has a glued butt, and is awaiting half framing, thus the elevated status. I think the half frames will help keep the skillet stiff during the build, and as they don't attach to any side framing, they need no bevels, however slight.

Peace,
    Robert

Just. Perfect. Can't be too many of these weird and wonderful little boats. A chicken in every pot, and a duck punt in every puddle.....
    Will you stitch and glue per Flo-Mo, or use his panels and do chines and frames according to Milgate?

Or a little of both a la MRS MUMBLES!

I like this, Amish Rob. We expect you to join us out east, now, you hear?

Aren't all the New England punts Mumble-esque hybrids? Saison DuPunt was, for sure.....did Jonathan build a straight ahead Milgate?

Quote Originally Posted by John hartmann View Post
    Aren't all the New England punts Mumble-esque hybrids? Saison DuPunt was, for sure.....did Jonathan build a straight ahead Milgate?
    No, me 'ol punt Half Tide is a hybrid as well. The hull sides and bottoms are from flo-mo's design, but most other parts like frames and mast thwart are from the Milgate plans. Then I added an internal chine log to help align and screw everything together. It amazed me that everything fit together as well as it did.

Looks like fun!

But this photo brings on bar bell weight envy.

Keep up the good work!
    Please don't dominate the rap Jack, if you've got nothing new to say.

Robert Hunter

Just. Perfect. Can't be too many of these weird and wonderful little boats. A chicken in every pot, and a duck punt in every puddle.....
    Will you stitch and glue per Flo-Mo, or use his panels and do chines and frames according to Milgate?
    Quote Originally Posted by callsign222 View Post
    Or a little of both a la MRS MUMBLES!

I like this, Amish Rob. We expect you to join us out east, now, you hear?
    Quote Originally Posted by jon m View Post
    No, me 'ol punt Half Tide is a hybrid as well. The hull sides and bottoms are from flo-mo's design, but most other parts like frames and mast thwart are from the Milgate plans. Then I added an internal chine log to help align and screw everything together. It amazed me that everything fit together as well as it did.
    Well, how can I use any but all the techniques, now?

I really am after a quick build to get a little sailing, and to replace/accompany the pirogue, so I'm just going to glue it up. This thing shouldn't need stitching, really, so I'll just fillet her inside with no glass. The outside will get a layer of cloth over the bottom and up to the outer strake.

All the framing is pine. It's all junk laying around.

If it really is as wonderful as reports indicate, I might could knock up a jig and turn out a few proper screw and glue jobs. Delta Punting, anyone?

Peace,
    Robert

Quote Originally Posted by FishoutaFlorida View Post
    Looks like fun!

But this photo brings on bar bell weight envy.

Keep up the good work!
    Those weights are heavy, you know?

Peace,
    Robert

Well, the half frames are all glued and screwed down(screwed up?), and the sides are dry, so in a bit, I'm going to try and see if it looks boat-like.

First I need to match up the side planks, just to ensure they are exact.

Peace,
    Robert

Robert i see you are a like minded builder who uses the Jim Michalak method of MARK CENTERLINES BOLDLY style of keeping parts in true position

it comes in so handy as builds progress

being able to stand back and check for symmetry sure helps reassure the mind that things are progressing properly

BTW it is knot nice to start a build like this as my 1st Mini Mouseboat is nearing completion and i still have lumber in stock

sw

steve

Oh, marks and lines are especially important when building rack of eye, even modified, stitch and glue style.

Measure measure measure measure.

The great part is, the measure don't have to be absolute, at all. Tick sticks work fine, for example. Probably better, for centering, than a tape, in fact.

Peace,
    Robert

Done!

Haha. Well, all the things are the right length and shape, roughly, so it looks like it may work.

I'm going to put in frames, roughing the bevels based on both sets of drawings. Once it's all square and true and nice looking, I'll fillet the chines.

Then, the rest.

Oh, I marked out the shape of the upper false strakes, or whatever. Extra planks. They look nice, and mine needs them.

Peace,
    Robert

Okay, here's a serious question. What do y'all use for oars? Is there a preferred pattern, or,just a dang oar?

Curious.

Thanks.

Peace,
    Robert

Punts, easy to move
    only requiring small oars
    six footers will do.

Duck punts need thole pins
    the sound of one hand clapping
    if you go without

hey Robert, you're handy MAKE YOUR OWN OARS

way mo cheaper than buying a set

1-1/4" solid(knot laminated) closet rods rip'd on one end and a 1/4" plywood blade pox'd in place

if the handle is too large for your hand you can turn it down on your table saw real easily

once you determine the size you need subtract that diameter from the original rod diameter and divide the answer by 2 which will determine how much to remove from the radius

raise the table saw blade just a hair less than the amount of radius reduction you need

set the fence at 5/8" to the center of the blade

place a pencil/sharpie mark on the fence and table that represents the point where your blade protrudes from the table on the infeed side

as you begin feeding the handle tip into the blade rotate it and feed VERY SLOWLY until your handle is modified to suit your hand

a little sanding and you're done

you can make double paddles in a similar manner

just be cautious of the blade orientation

AND if you intend to use the Punt as a Pirogue you might want to build an 8' T-Handled paddle for paddling/pushing while standing up

leave the bottom tip proud and wrap w/ FG tape to be used as a push pole

some folks like to glass the blades w/ 4oz cloth for bashing rocky bottoms

what else ?

sw

steve

Oh, I know I can make one, or some. This one won't work because the blade is spoonish.
    I know they need thole pins. I have the plans.
    Nowhere does anyone mention paddles or oars, though. I'm assuming they are steered with one oar, and not anything special, but are the oars special? Any specific size or shape blade, for example?
    Any kind of standard?

Thanks for all the replies.

Peace,
    Robert

Quote Originally Posted by swoody126 View Post
    hey Robert, you're handy MAKE YOUR OWN OARS

way mo cheaper than buying a set

1-1/4" solid(knot laminated) closet rods rip'd on one end and a 1/4" plywood blade pox'd in place

if the handle is too large for your hand you can turn it down on your table saw real easily

once you determine the size you need subtract that diameter from the original rod diameter and divide the answer by 2 which will determine how much to remove from the radius

raise the table saw blade just a hair less than the amount of radius reduction you need

set the fence at 5/8" to the center of the blade

place a pencil/sharpie mark on the fence and table that represents the point where your blade protrudes from the table on the infeed side

as you begin feeding the handle tip into the blade rotate it and feed VERY SLOWLY until your handle is modified to suit your hand

a little sanding and you're done

you can make double paddles in a similar manner

just be cautious of the blade orientation

AND if you intend to use the Punt as a Pirogue you might want to build an 8' T-Handled paddle for paddling/pushing while standing up

leave the bottom tip proud and wrap w/ FG tape to be used as a push pole

some folks like to glass the blades w/ 4oz cloth for bashing rocky bottoms

what else ?

sw
    I don't own a tablesaw. Haven't in some years, and can't see as I ever will again. I know. I know. hehe

Peace,
    Robert

And this is what it looks like when you glue the scarfs for the outer, upper strakes, or false strakes, or whatever they are. I think they look cool.

Anyway, the boat was only temporarily assembled to check for fit and all. I will reassemble her with the frames for final truing up and gluationizing.

Whee!

Peace,
    Robert

Oh, and they aren't attached, just screwed in place to keep them true.

Oh, I know I can make one, or some. This one won't work because the blade is spoonish.
    I know they need thole pins. I have the plans.
    Nowhere does anyone mention paddles or oars, though. I'm assuming they are steered with one oar, and not anything special, but are the oars special? Any specific size or shape blade, for example?
    Any kind of standard?

Thanks for all the replies.

Peace,
    Robert
    that's a good point, especially with a duck punt as the oar is not only propulsion when rowing or paddling but also you rudder and centerboard/leeboard so a real nicely shaped long blade traditional oar is ideal for this boat, the oars will be short, i think my punt has 6.5 or 7' I can measure tomorrow, short enough to be used easily as a long handle paddle.