Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678 LastLast

Thread: Ducker Resto

Quote Originally Posted by DeniseO30 View Post
    Well it seems I still know how to mix epoxy glue. This is really hard to get into, because today is the day my son passed. It's been 2 years already Sigh.

We built so many boats I almost lost count!

Sent from my LG-M430 using Tapatalk
    Popped off! Now to clean it up

Denise, Bristol PA, Oday30, Anchor Yacht Club, On tidal Delaware River. my current project; http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...0-Ducker-Resto

Popped off! Now to clean it up

No gaps!

Denise, Bristol PA, Oday30, Anchor Yacht Club, On tidal Delaware River. my current project; http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...0-Ducker-Resto

No gaps!

Twins!! very little spring back.. but I'll keep them on the form unless working on the bevel. what seems to be 40 50 degrees but translates to about 30 deg inward from the vertical of the form.

Last edited by DeniseO30; 12-27-2017 at 05:23 PM.

Default Re: Ducker Resto

Vey nice Denise. Now I have something to emulate when I get to laminating frames for Petrel.

Twins!! very little spring back.. but I'll keep them on the form unless working on the bevel. what seems to be 40 50 degrees but translates to about 30 deg inward from the vertical of the form.

Thanks Chris! I was mildly surprised with the Cherry, just soaking it a few hours made it rather flexible without Steam and after drying it retained much of the bend

Thanks Chris! I was mildly surprised with the Cherry, just soaking it a few hours made it rather flexible without Steam and after drying it retained much of the bend

Now it's time to glue up the outer stems.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Think I'll make up the new in-rails, the outer stems can wait until I'm able to work on the boat outdoors again.

Think I'll make up the new in-rails, the outer stems can wait until I'm able to work on the boat outdoors again.
    Are you not going to laminate them over the inner stems on that former? Before you bevel the beardings?

Quote Originally Posted by Peerie Maa View Post
    Are you not going to laminate them over the inner stems on that former? Before you bevel the beardings?
    I think not, as it may change a bit depending on the plank ends, but I've nearly 2 months to play at it.

I think not, as it may change a bit depending on the plank ends, but I've nearly 2 months to play at it.

Well I've wasted basically 4 strips of the Cherry because they had to come off to get me the 5/8" needed between the bevels. Eh.... Spoke shave & LA block Plane make it almost fun. But the carpal tunnel pain limits me to an hour or so, every day or so.

After hours and hours of figuring, planning, guessing, cutting test blocks, cutting more test blocks, more planning and guessing, I cut the bevel on the band saw as shown in the picture, keeping in mind that the blade was also the pivot point, it worked fairly well!

Last edited by DeniseO30; 12-29-2017 at 03:39 PM.

Ok got the stems shelved til spring.

I put what's left of the bow and Stern breast hooks on the bench, I think it's a bit odd that the grain runs cross ways to the hull. Notice, the bow BH is much larger then the stern, which was small I suppose to give the pole person as much room as possible when standing on the aft thwart.
    Anyway, going to reproduce these in cherry

Ok got the stems shelved til spring.

I put what's left of the bow and Stern breast hooks on the bench, I think it's a bit odd that the grain runs cross ways to the hull. Notice, the bow BH is much larger then the stern, which was small I suppose to give the pole person as much room as possible when standing on the aft thwart.
    Anyway, going to reproduce these in cherry

Live long and prosper everyone! in the coming year just in case anybody is actually reading this thread!

Live long and prosper everyone! in the coming year just in case anybody is actually reading this thread!

Back atcha, and your LG-M430.

that LG-M430 bother you Nick? I've not really paid attention to that auto sig from the phone.

have a great year!

.... I think it's a bit odd that the grain runs cross ways to the hull....
    I also ran the grain athwartships on my sharpie build.
    I can't seem to remember where, but it was suggested as better to do it that way...? Stronger maybe? I wish I could remeber where I got that from. Maybe it was in The Sharpie Book.

Hi Timo! Breast hooks that way Would be stronger for sure, and not likely to ever split

nice work on the stems and a happy new year!

jim

Thanks, Denise! This is Chris Noto, Human Being Mark 1, reporting as... you implied someone might?
    All the best.
    Last edited by Chris Noto; 01-02-2018 at 08:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Noto View Post
    Thanks, Denise! This is Chris Noto, Human Being Mark 1, reporting as... you implied someone might?
    All the best.
    Peace and long life! I was guessing people pay about as much attention to this restoration as I am it's already going on almost a year LOL.!

QISmaS DatIvjaj ’ej DIS chu’ DatIvjaj
    (Klingon)

2 1/8" X 5.75" X 10.75" tight grain cherry, 1" book match split. Hard to see unless you can enlarge the pictures which I think you can. Wet shows grain better,. Edit: snow storm today (1/4/18) think I'll get the burn marks out maybe epoxy the joints, cut them to rough size.

Last edited by DeniseO30; 01-04-2018 at 10:45 AM.

This is how the splash deck was. Not sure I like the radius and may go with a more triangular look let in flush to the cherry breast hook

I cannot picture "triangular" whereas that curve runs sweet and respects the curve of the sides.

Quote Originally Posted by Peerie Maa View Post
    I cannot picture "triangular" whereas that curve runs sweet and respects the curve of the sides.
    Well it's not a decision I have to make yet Nick.

The splash deck was made out of half inch White Cedar. I could make it out of quarter inch cherry but I don't have quite enough Cherry to make the boards. So I'll probably go with resawn deck boards from a Big Box store to get red hues of color in the splash deck.

It's pretty hard not to think of this boat as a BIG lapstrake canoe

Well after 25 years I finally got around to raising the thickness planer in/out feeds to the table saw and bench height of 36 inches. I think I'll be using the planer more often now!

6/4" X 6" X 12' cherry

Ripped into 1/2 inch planks stickered and lightly clamped to acclimate to the new environment after cutting, it was kiln dried. Final thickness will be 3/8"

Last edited by DeniseO30; 01-11-2018 at 07:30 PM.

Last time I used the planer(DeWalt 733) was on beech which is very hard. A couple knots exploded while running some boards so I was not hopeful for the brand new blades that were in there but! They did a great job on the cherry! Cleaned up all the burn marks from re-sawing on the table saw.

Eh, working on making the new Splash deck feeling a little bit disappointed with myself but I'll get through it. Basically I should have reproduced each little plank individually instead of trying to go with less planks that are wider. In #4 the 2 in the middle are scrap cut offs.

Last edited by DeniseO30; 02-03-2018 at 09:27 PM.

Eh, working on making the new Splash deck feeling a little bit disappointed with myself but I'll get through it. Basically I should have reproduced each little plank individually instead of trying to go with less planks that are widebr />
    Looks like the old deck has a king plank then planks to each side for one more planks. Cherry, of course, is going to move around more than the cedar. Can you tell if the old deck was painted on the underside? Helps stabilize it. In looking at the overall issue of your splash deck was there a piece that is now missing that had a curve to match the curve in your deck that sat on to of the triangular block whose grain ran counter to expectations. I think those blocks were not really breast hooks but backing blocks to take the deck planks. I bet there is one in the CBMM boat where the two types of decking meet.
    Last edited by Ben Fuller; 02-03-2018 at 09:33 PM.
    Ben Fuller
    Ran Tan, Liten Kuhling, Tipsy, Tippy, Josef W., Merry Mouth, Imp, Macavity, Look Far, Flash and a quiver of other 'yaks.
    "Bound fast is boatless man."

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Fuller View Post
    Looks like the old deck has a king plank then planks to each side for one more planks. Cherry, of course, is going to move around more than the cedar. Can you tell if the old deck was painted on the underside? Helps stabilize it. In looking at the overall issue of your splash deck was there a piece that is now missing that had a curve to match the curve in your deck that sat on to of the triangular block whose grain ran counter to expectations. I think those blocks were not really breast hooks but backing blocks to take the deck planks. I bet there is one in the CBMM boat where the two types of decking meet.
    Hi Ben! Underside was not painted and the panel piece that covered the IE breast hook was missing. Each of the little planks is a different width even though the sum of all the parts looks pretty good. This is kiln-dried wood but I do expect it to move, not going to glue to each other.

the one at CBMM Ducker doesn't come up on a internet search maybe they took it off their list, put it away, or sold it off, I've not been able to find it.
    Here's one I've never seen before! could this be the one you are referring too Ben?
    Last edited by DeniseO30; 02-03-2018 at 10:27 PM.

Hi Ben! Underside was not painted and the panel piece that covered the IE breast hook was missing. Each of the little planks is a different width even though the sum of all the parts looks pretty good. This is kiln-dried wood but I do expect it to move, not going to glue to each other.

the one at CBMM Ducker doesn't come up on a internet search maybe they took it off their list, put it away, or sold it off, I've not been able to find it.
    Here's one I've never seen before! could this be the one you are referring too Ben?
    Just ran down the entire thread. The CBMM boat is in your very first post. Kind of a yellow color. Note how the platform ends and then there is another bunch of smaller planks in the end. Looks like it could be a repair. Be interesting to have a look underneath. One BIG thing: the platform you are working on is actually the stern. The pusher stands ( balances ) on top of it. That's why there is that little bit of trim on top of the deck.

On your inwales see back to my post 49; the frame ends were cut at an angle or as Joe said snaped off so that the inwale could set flush with the planking. As I noted the wales were bent on the outside, marked for notching. The top frame rivet was left off so you could wiggle the frame a little to set it into place so your angled notch did not have to be right on. Joe noted that these boats were lie the wonderful one horse shay, nothing any bigger than it needed to be. So all when all your deck beams for example with just that fastening into the end grain seems light, but all that fastening needs to do is keep it lined up with the deck itself really being what keeps things in line; the loads are all on top. That forward beam with the knees is the critical one.

Do take a look at the underside of your inwale and see if there are not some small holes or corroded bit of brass. Hunters sometimes had a piece of canvas on top of the floor flat that was held up with cup hooks at the sides. All the mud went into it and could come out with the canvas at the days end.

That blue boat looks like it has some modern decks stuck on by some one who was a good builder but didn't understand the boats. The treatment of the ends of the outwales is pretty horrible. On the duckers they would taper them to like on the stems starting the taper 6''s or more back so that there was no fat bump like you so often see.
    Ben Fuller
    Ran Tan, Liten Kuhling, Tipsy, Tippy, Josef W., Merry Mouth, Imp, Macavity, Look Far, Flash and a quiver of other 'yaks.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Fuller View Post
    Just ran down the entire thread. The CBMM boat is in your very first post. Kind of a yellow color. Note how the platform ends and then there is another bunch of smaller planks in the end. Looks like it could be a repair. Be interesting to have a look underneath. One BIG thing: the platform you are working on is actually the stern. The pusher stands ( balances ) on top of it. That's why there is that little bit of trim on top of the deck.

On your inwales see back to my post 49; the frame ends were cut at an angle or as Joe said snaped off so that the inwale could set flush with the planking. As I noted the wales were bent on the outside, marked for notching. The top frame rivet was left off so you could wiggle the frame a little to set it into place so your angled notch did not have to be right on. Joe noted that these boats were lie the wonderful one horse shay, nothing any bigger than it needed to be. So all when all your deck beams for example with just that fastening into the end grain seems light, but all that fastening needs to do is keep it lined up with the deck itself really being what keeps things in line; the loads are all on top. That forward beam with the knees is the critical one.

Do take a look at the underside of your inwale and see if there are not some small holes or corroded bit of brass. Hunters sometimes had a piece of canvas on top of the floor flat that was held up with cup hooks at the sides. All the mud went into it and could come out with the canvas at the days end.

That blue boat looks like it has some modern decks stuck on by some one who was a good builder but didn't understand the boats. The treatment of the ends of the outwales is pretty horrible. On the duckers they would taper them to like on the stems starting the taper 6''s or more back so that there was no fat bump like you so often see.
    This is the CBMM Ducker? Yes on the notched in rails, don't like that they weren't fastened, they are/were tapered. The outer was only a half round rub rail. Don't think I'll be standing on the deck lol

This is the CBMM Ducker? Yes on the notched in rails, don't like that they weren't fastened, they are/were tapered. The outer was only a half round rub rail. Don't think I'll be standing on the deck lol

Yes, this is one of those, what was the builder thinking? The flatness of the outer stem is pretty ugly also

This indeed is the CBMM ducker. It doesn't use notched inwale like yours. It does have the cup hooks under the inwale. On my ducker I found the only way I could stand on the aft deck to push was have a 'gunner' in the boat, standing or sitting well forward. The pole is a wonderful balancing device.
    Ben Fuller

Doesn't seem any set way to how they were built Ben. poetic privilege.. err builder that is. sitting an rowing... guess I need to figure out bench height and location...

looks like Angus has it covered thank you Angus
    https://angusrowboats.com/blogs/news...owing-geometry
    Last edited by DeniseO30; 02-04-2018 at 01:25 PM.

You do have some short risers and oarlocks. Can you see if there was a rowing thwart affixed to the riser? Saying that most of these boats were rowed from a movable gunning box which kept the interior open. Looking at where the lock fittings are, I'd actually be surprised to see a thwart even though you have those short risers. The position is such that if you row deck first, (stern) you can have the gunner sitting on the "after" athwart and balance the boat nicely. If you are single handed, the box moves forward, the stern platform is at the stern and you would be sitting about amidships. These boats also got removable floor flats or one piece removable floorboards with cleats on the top. Cleats were often positioned to take notches in the gunning box and serve as low stretchers. Trim is critical; no matter which direction you row you have to have the 'bow' up a touch, stern down, otherwise you have a gripy rowing experience.
    Ben Fuller