Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst ... 234 ... LastLast

Thread: If you have photos on Photobucket

Default Re: If you have photos on Photobucket

Quote Originally Posted by CK 17 View Post
    I use https://postimage.io Seems to get the job done. I know nothing about them, could be run by Putin for all I know.
    Been using them about a year without any trouble.

They are simply designed to provide free web hosting, that is their reason for existence.

About Postimage

Postimage was founded in 2004 to provide message boards with an easy way to upload images for free. Postimage is a very simple, fast and reliable free image service. It's perfect for linking to auctions, message boards, blogs and other websites. Postimage guarantees maximum uptime and performance so that your image will be here whenever you need it. There is no registration or login; all you have to do is submit your picture. With continuous upgrades and dedicated staff Postimage is the #1 solution for Free Image Hosting.Install the Simple image upload mod today and experience the ease of uploading images right from the posting page.

Thanks

• Pablo Ayllón (European Spanish translation)
    • Bekir Uçarci (Turkish translation)
    • Hồ Hoài Sản (Vietnamese translation)
    • Kika Štefi (Slovak translation)
    • Shai Gerbi (Hebrew translation)
    • Bingen Galartza Iparragirre (Basque translation)
    • Tərlan Mustafazadə (Azerbajani translation)
    • Ammar Ibn Sadakah (Malay translation)
    • BluePencil (Korean translation)
    • Paul Delia (Bug hunting)
    • Crtc4L (Security research)
    • Charafeddine Nassiri (Security research)
    • Achal Pathak and Akshay Kumar (Security research)
    • David Tamas (Hungarian translation)
    • Vikas Sharma [pentestbegins.com] (Security research)
    • Ken J. (SMF plugin improvements)

Photobucket started like all these other sites - free, easy ......

Rick

Reminds me of....
    nah never mind.

I seem to be one of the lucky ones and got in quick and managed to download my albums and delete my photobucket account before they made it hard. I have started a Smugmug account and want to rebuild my build thread.

How can I replace all of the photo links in one go, or do I have to do each post one at a time which might annoy a few people if my thread keeps coming back to the top.

Mark

If you own a domain name and have it hosted somewhere, you can upload your photos via SFTP and link to them directly -- they'll never go away until you stop paying for domain hosting.

I've had good luck with Flickr and even Facebook -- the latter will often change the URL of individual images but the URL of the FB Photo Album will stay the same, at least from what I can tell. So if I link to individual photos on FB I always include the Photo Album URL at the end of the post.
    "The enemies of reason have a certain blind look."
    Doctor Jacquin to Lieutenant D'Hubert, in Ridley Scott's first major film _The Duellists_.

Quote Originally Posted by Thorne View Post
    If you own a domain name and have it hosted somewhere, you can upload your photos via SFTP and link to them directly -- they'll never go away until you stop paying for domain hosting.
    I proposed this downstairs as well, but maybe someone with the know-how could set up one of these sites that can be used by all of us? A big WBF bucket somewhere? I wish the forum itself would take it on, but it seems we could do it ourselves. Those who wish to use it could contribute to the cost. Somebody said it was $1/month so I probably have the first year's cost in my piggy bank right now.

I deleted my PB. Sure would be interesting to know how many "free" members got mad and went away, guess I'm like most people, because I'm online I think free is an entitlement not a privilege.
    Denise, Bristol PA, Oday30, Anchor Yacht Club, On tidal Delaware River. my current project; http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...0-Ducker-Resto

Quote Originally Posted by swoody126 View Post
    Tom, sorry for my simple mind not understanding BUT how did you do this

sw
    Here's how I'm currently posting images from Google Photos:

1) Click on the photo to open it.

2) Right-click the photo and choose "copy image address" from the drop-down menu.

3) Hit the little image button on your Forum post, choose the "From URL" option at the top, paste the copied image link into the box, and un-check the "Retrieve remote file and reference locally" button

You should then see your image posted, like this:

Works ok, but I still haven't found a way to resize images--they're pretty big as is.

Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

Jagular Goes Everywhere: (mis)Adventures in a $300 Sailboat. Book release November 2014.

If you want to use google photo, you'll need to resize your pics before uploading them to google. I use both GIMP and Irfanview. Both are free downloads. GIMP is a GNU answer to Photoshop, rather effective photo editing tool.
    "... the door was ajar, and the game was afoot." Lawrence Block

Quote Originally Posted by J.Madison View Post
    I proposed this downstairs as well, but maybe someone with the know-how could set up one of these sites that can be used by all of us? A big WBF bucket somewhere? I wish the forum itself would take it on, but it seems we could do it ourselves. Those who wish to use it could contribute to the cost. Somebody said it was $1/month so I probably have the first year's cost in my piggy bank right now.
    I've thought about doing this. One could establish wbfphotos.com or something similar and host images on Amazon S3. Restrict requests to require referral from the forum.woodenboat.com domain and require a WBF login for access to upload photos. Currently the WBF has about 3M posts. Assuming 2MB of photos per post that's around $150/month for S3 storage to host every photo on the forum. Bandwidth charges are harder to estimate but might add another $200/month or so. Figure $500/month in hosting costs (less at first of course and possibly more than that over time but not for a while in any case). The UI and authentication back-end would be a bit more work to create and maintain though. But the real issue is that a system like this works for a few people who are willing to put up with something run part time by volunteers. But most people will want a commercial-quality product, with tools for image management and file upload, reasonable security and protection against attacks, guarantees of uptime, etc. That's an entirely different proposition. I may move my images to a private server myself but I don't know if it's feasible to create a service for general use.

However it does seem to me that among the membership there must be any number of people with the skills to create and maintain an image hosting feature within the WBF itself. Perhaps Scot and crew could be convinced to set up a working group of members to assist them with the management of the site? I would be very happy to join such a group and help out. And while I know there may be legal issues involved beyond just the nuts and bolts of adding support for image hosting I assume that they are not insurmountable since many other forums and social media sites do so.

Just a thought...
    - Chris

https://fvpetrel.wordpress.com

Life is short. Go boating now!

Quote Originally Posted by cstevens View Post
    I've thought about doing this. One could establish wbfphotos.com or something similar and host images on Amazon S3. Restrict requests to require referral from the forum.woodenboat.com domain and require a WBF login for access to upload photos. Currently the WBF has about 3M posts. Assuming 2MB of photos per post that's around $150/month for S3 storage to host every photo on the forum. Bandwidth charges are harder to estimate but might add another $200/month or so. Figure $500/month in hosting costs (less at first of course and possibly more than that over time but not for a while in any case). The UI and authentication back-end would be a bit more work to create and maintain though. But the real issue is that a system like this works for a few people who are willing to put up with something run part time by volunteers. But most people will want a commercial-quality product, with tools for image management and file upload, reasonable security and protection against attacks, guarantees of uptime, etc. That's an entirely different proposition. I may move my images to a private server myself but I don't know if it's feasible to create a service for general use.

However it does seem to me that among the membership there must be any number of people with the skills to create and maintain an image hosting feature within the WBF itself. Perhaps Scot and crew could be convinced to set up a working group of members to assist them with the management of the site? I would be very happy to join such a group and help out. And while I know there may be legal issues involved beyond just the nuts and bolts of adding support for image hosting I assume that they are not insurmountable since many other forums and social media sites do so.

Just a thought...
    Actually - several thoughts - but good ones!

I think the biggest issues for WB are legal ones. Sure, cost is a factor, but copyright infringement & other such things could potentially harm WB.

Something basic for storing the images could be done - but it'd get involved with 100's uploading (setting up/maintaining folders, permissions, etc.). I haven't spent a lot of time thinking on it, but getting software written would be several thousand if paid for.

If you call your Amazon #'s $500/month - that'd be $5 each if 100 sign up. OK - I'd consider that. But - who does the billing? What happens when a person leaves the forum & no longer pays? What happens when someone doesn't leave, but stops paying? That'd all take administration = $.

My thought is that someone's gonna step up to the plate & advertise a fairly priced storage spot - aimed directly at PB customers. Remember, there are many forums hit my this & therefore many thousands of people affected.

OK - this was more random thoughts than anything else....
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    Actually - several thoughts - but good ones!

I think the biggest issues for WB are legal ones. Sure, cost is a factor, but copyright infringement & other such things could potentially harm WB.

Something basic for storing the images could be done - but it'd get involved with 100's uploading (setting up/maintaining folders, permissions, etc.). I haven't spent a lot of time thinking on it, but getting software written would be several thousand if paid for.

If you call your Amazon #'s $500/month - that'd be $5 each if 100 sign up. OK - I'd consider that. But - who does the billing? What happens when a person leaves the forum & no longer pays? What happens when someone doesn't leave, but stops paying? That'd all take administration = $.

My thought is that someone's gonna step up to the plate & advertise a fairly priced storage spot - aimed directly at PB customers. Remember, there are many forums hit my this & therefore many thousands of people affected.

OK - this was more random thoughts than anything else....

Yes - all of these considerations would come into play for sure. And to mitigate the legal concerns it would need to be organized as an LLC, so more time and cost there. I could write the necessary software easily enough (or repurpose some existing open source platform more likely - I'm sure there are any number of options already available). None of these efforts are huge by themselves but together I think they are substantial.

I agree that smaller players like Smugmug will take up the slack here and there may be an opening for less expensive service as well but I really think the future is to use apps built to work directly with one's personal cloud storage service. Google Drive, Dropbox, iCloud, OneDrive, S3 - any of these options will work fine for basic storage, they aren't going away any time soon and the trend is toward lower storage costs. The challenge is that the image management tools are not there yet. Or at least they weren't the last time I went looking for a photo hosting solution. Maybe time for another review of what's out there.

But really, there is no reason that the WBF couldn't host images. Every objection - including the legal ones - can be addressed through legal structure (the WBF could be organized as a separate legal entity from the publisher for example), licensing terms, etc. However I also have to acknowledge that the WBF is not the primary business of WoodenBoat Publications and is a service that they provide to the community at no cost. So our expectations should be tempered by the realization that the value we get here far exceeds the compensation that it provides to the host. (Although I will say that the recent addition of advertising does change that cost-benefit picture a bit).
    - Chris

https://fvpetrel.wordpress.com

Life is short. Go boating now!

I won't be posting any more photos until WB comes up with a way of accepting images straight from my hard drive. I expect many ex-PB users will do the same.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    I won't be posting any more photos until WB comes up with a way of accepting images straight from my hard drive. I expect many ex-PB users will do the same.

Rick
    Pretty much where I've been for quite a while. It's just too cumbersome in a world where many other free forums facilitate very easy photo posting. When I was mostly working from a computer it wasn't so bad, but from an iPad or phone it crosses some sort of a threshold for me.

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post

Rick
    As someone posted earlier, tapatalk works great. Takes images straight from the drive and into my post. It's seamless.

Sent from my SM-T677V using Tapatalk
    Tom

WI-TOM's post( #78) got me going butt i am on a Mac

1. i loaded my pics to Google Photos

2. i left click on desired pic to open

3. once open right click to open a drop down window

4. select (left click on) COPY IMAGE

5. PASTE in your text at the desired location

actually way mo simpler than PB

sw
    "we are the people, our parents warned us about" (jb)

steve

Quote Originally Posted by swoody126 View Post
    WI-TOM's post( #78) got me going butt i am on a Mac

1. i loaded my pics to Google Photos

2. i left click on desired pic to open

3. once open right click to open a drop down window

4. select (left click on) COPY IMAGE

5. PASTE in your text at the desired location

actually way mo simpler than PB

sw
    That's precisely how I always did it with BotoPhucket

So you can just paste a smaller image directly into your text with Google Photos? Let's see:

That's great to know--not EVERY picture I post has to be giant sized, after all. Thanks!

Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

Jagular Goes Everywhere: (mis)Adventures in a $300 Sailboat. Book release November 2014.

Really that easy??

copy paste from Google photos... This was not rezised either...

Quote Originally Posted by Fredostli View Post
    Really that easy??

copy paste from Google photos... This was not rezised either...
    Something's not working for you. It worked for me, just as described in post #86-87. Did you try to use the Forum image button? If so, maybe that's the problem. Just paste the link directly into your text instead.

Tom

Yes it worked for me, just cut and paste. Just a bit surprised ��

Tom, I don't know what this looks like at your end, but over here, all I'm seeing where the image should be is a gray circle with a dash in the middle... Bummer.

Quote Originally Posted by WI-Tom View Post
    Here's how I'm currently posting images from Google Photos:

1) Click on the photo to open it.

2) Right-click the photo and choose "copy image address" from the drop-down menu.

3) Hit the little image button on your Forum post, choose the "From URL" option at the top, paste the copied image link into the box, and un-check the "Retrieve remote file and reference locally" button

You should then see your image posted, like this:

Works ok, but I still haven't found a way to resize images--they're pretty big as is.

Tom
    I once heard an old guy say "If you haven't been in trouble on the water, you just haven't been on the water very much."
    Now I'm the old guy!

A word to the wise from the Postimage Terms of Service:

PostImage's services are provided on an AS IS – WITH ALL FAULTS basis. Your use of our service is entirely at your own risk. We do not guarantee the availability of our service at any given time, or the reliability of our service when it is running. We do not guarantee the integrity of, or the continued availability of, files on our servers. Whether we make backups, and if so, whether restoration of those backups will be available to you, is at our discretion.
    The only way to insure ongoing access to your own content on the Internet is to pay for hosting, and to maintain your own backups. If th service seems to be free, then you and your content are actually the product, not the customer. e.g. Facebook, et al., ad nauseam.

Caveat emptor. "Let the buyer beware."
    I once heard an old guy say "If you haven't been in trouble on the water, you just haven't been on the water very much."
    Now I'm the old guy!

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Noto View Post
    Tom, I don't know what this looks like at your end, but over here, all I'm seeing where the image should be is a gray circle with a dash in the middle... Bummer.
    Hmm. Thanks--this may not actually work, then. Does everyone see the photos below, or just the gray slashed circles? Thanks!

That's method #2--copy image address and paste directly into the text.

And this one? (Method #1, using the Forum's image button and url link):

I see both

Looks like you have perfected your technique, Tom!
    Now I'm the old guy!

Perfect technique to show off the boat Never to much photos of Don.K designs!

strange, Toms photos was visible on my phone, but not on my PC. Can you all se the photo in my post?

Quote Originally Posted by WI-Tom View Post
    Hmm. Thanks--this may not actually work, then. Does everyone see the photos below, or just the gray slashed circles? Thanks!

That's method #2--copy image address and paste directly into the text.

And this one? (Method #1, using the Forum's image button and url link):

I see only a grey dot with a horizontal bar. I use an Apple computer.

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by jpatrick View Post

Jeff
    On a PC, I see the images in your copy

Quote Originally Posted by jpatrick View Post

Jeff
    I see no image, just the gray symbol using chrome browser.
    Using Firefox, I dont even see a picture frame, no grey circle either.

Looking for my images in this thread, I still see my postimage.io, my google photos, but no Amazon prime photos, just broken links...
    Last edited by sdowney717; 07-06-2017 at 03:16 PM.

Google Photos

Last edited by PeterSibley; 07-06-2017 at 06:43 PM.
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

The whole thing's just stupid. The WBF expands WB's market and photos enhance the forum. If WB wants photos on the forum, which they should, then they ought to host those photos and have a straightforward way of uploading them. If that can only done through subscription then so be it, if it's reasonable. It's ridiculous having people go through all these hoops to try to find a way of uploading photos. Any of the free or cheap hosting services are very likely to go the way of Pbucket. Corporate responsibility and integrity seem to be outdated concepts.

Rick

I'll suggest tapatalk once again. It's dead simple to use and the photos show. No copy and paste, no typing in img, nothing. Just select the pic you want and hit send. Tapatalk's whole purpose if forum access for phones tablets, etc... . They are used by people to access hundreds of forums. If their pic posting feature goes away so does 90% of their customers. Sure you have to deal with some ads but that's why it's free.
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    On a PC, I see the images in your copy

Oh, those PC's just make stuff up!

Jeff