Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123 ... LastLast

Thread: If you have photos on Photobucket

Default Re: If you have photos on Photobucket

Your pics are still up Jim.... do you use PB?

I've now spent my entire weekend moving my entire forum over to Facebook and we're still going. Its probably going to take a week or two (not happy)
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/113981485887800/
    Last edited by Mark Bowdidge; 07-03-2017 at 08:07 PM.

I always get the message that I exeeds my quota, no matter where i link from. But when I post via Tapatalk on my phone it works great, just adding photos from my phone album...

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Bowdidge View Post
    Photobucket just destroyed our entire boatbuilding forum (10 years worth of build photo's, really important build methods, technical information..everything). Nothing left. We did look at flickr and a few others but the problem is, once one goes down this road, it won't be long and the rest will follow. With everybody switching to flickr, it won't be long and their servers will become overloaded, so they'll have to upgrade and guess what..they'll start charging.
    We now live in aworld or "user pays". Nothing is free anymore in waterworld.
    I've now spent my entire weekend moving my entire forum over to Facebook and we're still going
    Since Verizon just bought Yahoo, and Flickr is part of Yahoo, who knows what will happen to Flickr.

Google Photos surprisingly works on wooden boat but it did not use to allow 3rd party hosting of google photos, which is why I started using Postimage too.
    i have been uploading all pictures to Google Photos automatically from phone and PC.

Quote Originally Posted by WI-Tom View Post
    Trying again with Google Photos, using the image button above and the url from Google Photos--seems to work (actually seems quite a bit faster to do than Photobucket, which I found a pain to work with):

Still, phooey. That's a lot of photos gone from my threads, and I doubt I'll bother restoring them all. And I liked some of those threads a lot.

Tom
    Tom, sorry for my simple mind not understanding BUT how did you do this

sw
    "we are the people, our parents warned us about" (jb)

steve

I don't know what I'm going to do.

I have the Sneakeasy thread. What's there was is poofed. I think the restoration of that boat should be documented here. It's kind of an iconic Phil boat, eh? And he was cool, eh?

I also have a "real" build I thought to document here, a build of a Blue Moon yawl. I owe it to at least one forumite to post pictures of the build, but I'm unsure of how to proceed.

I don't think anything I've contributed has been any great asset, but my pirogue rehab thread is poofed, too. Punt thread. All my pictures are poofed.

I want to ensure it doesn't happen again, but I also don't want to delve so deeply into the web that I own my own domain, just to post here. This is 33% of my internet. Really, I visit three places regularly. That's it.

I like this place, though, and want to continue to contribute what little I can.

Peace,
    Robert

P.S. I wasn't a leech on PicturePail, either. Just not generous enough, apparently.

If you work with apple, tapatalk can edit threads to delete PB links and replace them with images directly from your computer's photos, but for extensive threads, it would be laborious to reconstitute hundreds of images. I will be chipping away at it for my build thread of the Ilur, mostly because I am not going to let a batch of avaricious corporate types hold me hostage if I have an alternative. A sad state of affairs all 'round.

How does that work John?
    -Jim

Sucker for a pretty face.
    1934 27' Blanchard Cuiser ~ Amazon, Ex. Emalu
    19'6" Caledonia Yawl ~ Sparrow

Getting into trouble one board at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by lupussonic;[URL="tel:5276354"
    5276354[/URL]]Your pics are still up Jim.... do you use PB?
    I do use PB and they are still up, I'm not sure how long that will last though. So I've been looking for plan b.
    -Jim

Quote Originally Posted by jsjpd1 View Post
    How does that work John?
    From my iPad, I open the tapatalk app, then open my thread. If you touch and hold a finger on the dialogue box of any post in the thread, an option opens up to edit, and from there you can delete the photobucket link. In tapatalk, to add images, touch the little mountain icon at the bottom of the tapatalk dialogue box, and it will open the photo library, where you can select an image to replace the one photobucket was holding hostage. Easy, but time consuming for a good sized thread.....I started last night after getting home from work, and then worked at it for a bit after breakfast before getting on with the day's chores, and I'm maybe 50-60 posts through a 30 page, 1000 post thread....at this rate, I might have the thread restored in a month or so.....

Good evening,

I have built a number of boats, some of fairly complex design, but yet have had no luck in posting pictures on this forum. I have posted pics of my builds on my own blogs, Sailing Anarchy, Facebook etc. but not here.
    Surely posting a picture should be less complex than building a boat.
    Why, in this day and age is it so difficult to do it here?

Regards.

Quote Originally Posted by John hartmann;[URL="tel:5276621"
    5276621[/URL]]From my iPad, I open the tapatalk app, then open my thread. If you touch and hold a finger on the dialogue box of any post in the thread, an option opens up to edit, and from there you can delete the photobucket link. In tapatalk, to add images, touch the little mountain icon at the bottom of the tapatalk dialogue box, and it will open the photo library, where you can select an image to replace the one photobucket was holding hostage. Easy, but time consuming for a good sized thread.....I started last night after getting home from work, and then worked at it for a bit after breakfast before getting on with the day's chores, and I'm maybe 50-60 posts through a 30 page, 1000 post thread....at this rate, I might have the thread restored in a month or so.....
    Where are you keeping your photos? iCloud?
    -Jim

Yes, iCloud, photos shared between the various idevices. I tend to work from my iPad most of the time. Originals are on the hard drive of my iMac.
    Last edited by John hartmann; 07-03-2017 at 05:45 AM.

I just deleted the whole thing. $399
    Denise, Bristol PA, Oday30, Anchor Yacht Club, On tidal Delaware River. my current project; http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...0-Ducker-Resto

Quote Originally Posted by Frans Loots View Post
    Good evening,

I have built a number of boats, some of fairly complex design, but yet have had no luck in posting pictures on this forum. I have posted pics of my builds on my own blogs, Sailing Anarchy, Facebook etc. but not here.
    Surely posting a picture should be less complex than building a boat.
    Why, in this day and age is it so difficult to do it here?

Regards.
    Different skill set. It's actually not hard, just cumbersome. Stupidly cumbersome. I stopped posting photos here some time ago, just too cumbersome to be bothered.

I wonder if WB could consider some sort of subscription? I'd be happy to pay, say, $20 pa for the ability to see and post photos on the WBF. I've no ideas of the technical requirements for such an arrangement but I agree that posting photos on the WBF has always been annoyingly clumsy.

Rick

Well, there goes my JIM thread.
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Too many losses!

Rick

I host a number of websites as a reseller and could offer an ftp site similar to drop box you could link from, for not much $, if anyones interested I'll look into some options.

Just to make sure everyone understands, all photos @ PhotoBucket are still there & you can go to PB & view and/or download them. The only thing that has changed (& obviously not for everyone) is the ability to link them. For sure, having to move them somewhere else & relink is a giant PITA!

There are several issues with WB hosting images:

1) cost of servers to hold them - yes I know regular computers & hard disks are cheap, but commercial quality is way more expensive (easily 5x the cost) + they have a 5-7 year lifespan. Servers & storage to hold all the pics here could easily cost 10-20K US - very possibly more.

2) Then there's the issue of bandwidth. I'm guessing that Brooklin, ME doesn't have the needed backbone connections to the internet - so it'd mean they'd have to host their servers somewhere else & pay pretty hefty monthly fees.

3) copyrights: There have been instances of copyright holders going after the place that hosts pictures - even though the pics were put on the server by a subscriber or whatever. There may be more clarity in this nowadays, but there is lingering concern.

4) Adding more servers means maintaining them: OS updates, security, etc. etc. Either more employee time or hiring it done - so more $.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

I believe there are also considerable legal issues involved as well, Garret, which further complicate the issue.

I am currently trying out SmugMug at their lowest price tier, and am very pleased with the smoothness and organization of the site. My entire PB file uploaded while I drank a cup of coffee and the photos are far more readily accessible than before. There's a slight learning curve, but that's to be expected. So far I'm thrilled with the ease of use.

Haven't checked mine lately, but it's been such a PITA to post photos I haven't been doing it as much lately.
    Maybe it's time the owners of the forum came up with a solution.
    I have been posting them to Facebook as it's a lot easier.
    Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!

I have a website. I post my photos there to FTP. And link to that to post here.

Thus I am in control of my photos. All I have to do is pay to keep my website up, but that isn't much, and it's a business expense anyway.

I'm no computer wiz. And I had to be coached as to how to do this. But it works, although not on an iPad. When I'm away from my PC and have only my iPad, I use PostImage, which is like PB, but has not got mean yet.

Dave

Amazon prime photos test, it works!
    I see it also hosts videos like google photos, but never tried to post a video.
    I have Amazon Prime. I never plan to not have Amazon Prime.
    https://www.amazon.com/photos/albums

On my S4 phone, I have both google photos app and an Amazon app for photos, so it uploads my phone pictures automatically to both sites.

I made this adapter for my fuel tank fills, Monel tank is 1.5 inch pipe thread and uses a 1 7/8 hose. New Perko fuel fills uses 1.5 inch hose. So needed to transition.

Last edited by sdowney717; 07-03-2017 at 09:09 AM.

video link test of dishwasher drain pump
    This magnetic coupled pump moves water fast, pumped out 5 gallon in about 30 seconds.
    I adapted it to use on my cruisair heat pump.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/all/ga...7&lcf=time

Well you have to click it open, wont display here.

Pumps nicely, continuous duty.

I added a 12 vdc PC fan for cooling, runs off a relay, so when AC pump switches on, the relay supplies 12vdc to fan
    I also put clear polyurethane to seal the motor laminations. Their is NO shaft seal, impeller is driven magnetically.
    It is a very nice pump, also has a thermal overload breaker. Came off an early 90's Frigidaire dishwasher.
    I run my Cruisair heat pump on a GFCI-AFCI Square-D combo breaker, and it makes it safe, and no nuisance trips.

Gray Lasco schedule 80 PVC adapter from lowes screwed onto the pump outlet. It was a little too large for a 3/4 inch hose. End was not threaded, so ran a 3/4 inch NPT pipe coupler on first to start some threads. Then used a sealer to make sure no leaking.

On the input side of pump is a flap style one way valve, water can only flow into inlet, not drain back out.

There are no moving parts on the outside of this pump, the motor armature is actually the impeller. The impeller is sealed in plastic so cant rust, the housing is plastic.
    The pump is very, very quiet.
    Last edited by sdowney717; 07-03-2017 at 09:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sdowney717 View Post
    video link test of dishwasher drain pump
    This magnetic coupled pump moves water fast, pumped out 5 gallon in about 30 seconds.
    I adapted it to use on my cruisair heat pump.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/all/ga...7&lcf=time

Well you have to click it open, wont display here.
    It won't display unless you have Amazon Prime.

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    It won't display unless you have Amazon Prime.
    Does that mean you can't see those photos?, OR, you cant use Amazon photos without a prime account..
    Google photos is free.

Most likely Google or amazon photos will not turn off 3rd party hosting, but they could, anyone could lock that down or close the business.
    I let my extended family use my Amazon prime account for shopping and movies etc... as a gift. So 3 families with my grandkids now get the benefit.

ok just shared the Amazon Prime video, can you see this?
    https://www.amazon.com/photos/share/...KUi1dVkdtDqIKX

I can click through to the video, but there's not a "window" in your post. That makes it more complicated for your readers.

Firbeck, Notts/South Yorks border, England

Here's one alternative...DROPBOX, which is 'free' for the moment! I have not studied usage in depth but the copy and paste facility seems to work OK, as below...

That I could see - the first one I couldn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Scott View Post
    Here's one alternative...DROPBOX, which is 'free' for the moment! I have not studied usage in depth but the copy and paste facility seems to work OK, as below...

I see a broken image link, is it shared?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Noto View Post
    I can click through to the video, but there's not a "window" in your post. That makes it more complicated for your readers.
    I know, video links have to programmed in the woodenboat forum software, like youtube is to appear within this site in a window frame.

Well, I just rang the phone number of Photobucket's PR hack... and left her a message. I guess she didn't answer because it's out of office hours there?

By the time this is relegated to history's dustbin, I suspect that everyone who's ever had their phone number associated with Photobucket will be chasing a new SIM card.

Miserable bastards they are.

Btw, my message was polite.... but I'm not expecting a call back
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

I'd rather look back at my life and say "I can't believe I did that" instead of being there saying "I wish I'd done that"

I use https://postimage.io Seems to get the job done. I know nothing about them, could be run by Putin for all I know.
    __________________________________________________ ________________________