Page 1 of 8 12 ... LastLast

Thread: If you have photos on Photobucket

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default If you have photos on Photobucket

Putting this here in case people miss the other places its being discussed.

If you have a thread that has photos hosted with photobucket, I recommend going through and saving the pages of the thread to your hard drive, as they are likely to disappear soon.

Photos on several big threads have already bit the dust, but others are still remaining. Phototbucket will block them all and then ask for a $400 ransom each year to fix it.

I'm not smart enough to save a whole thread at once, I had to do it one page at a time.

Hurry!

Default Re: If you have photos on Photobucket

Too late... All my threads are now photo-less. Phooey.

What other hosting options are out there? What do people like?

Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

Jagular Goes Everywhere: (mis)Adventures in a $300 Sailboat. Book release November 2014.

I use Flickr without a problem. People are also suggesting Google Photos.
    What a crime. You'd think they would tell people that any additional photos would cost money or at least give people time to retrieve their photos by a certain deadline or pay the yearly fee. Just holding them for ransom is unethical.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

Seems very unethical. Many other forums are complaining as well. I wonder if there is any recourse we could take with the BBB or something.

I've found the BBB to be absolutely toothless.
    A boatless inlander, searching for the meaning of life-aground.

Trying again with Google Photos, using the image button above and the url from Google Photos--seems to work (actually seems quite a bit faster to do than Photobucket, which I found a pain to work with):

Still, phooey. That's a lot of photos gone from my threads, and I doubt I'll bother restoring them all. And I liked some of those threads a lot.

Tom
    Last edited by WI-Tom; 06-30-2017 at 04:38 PM.
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

Jagular Goes Everywhere: (mis)Adventures in a $300 Sailboat. Book release November 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by WI-Tom View Post
    Trying again with Google Photos, using the image button above and the url from Google Photos--seems to work (actually seems quite a bit faster to do than Photobucket, which I found a pain to work with):

Still, phooey. That's a lot of photos gone from my threads, and I doubt I'll bother restoring them all. And I liked some of those threads a lot.

Tom
    Tom, sorry for my simple mind not understanding BUT how did you do this

sw
    "we are the people, our parents warned us about" (jb)

steve

Quote Originally Posted by swoody126 View Post
    Tom, sorry for my simple mind not understanding BUT how did you do this

sw
    Here's how I'm currently posting images from Google Photos:

1) Click on the photo to open it.

2) Right-click the photo and choose "copy image address" from the drop-down menu.

3) Hit the little image button on your Forum post, choose the "From URL" option at the top, paste the copied image link into the box, and un-check the "Retrieve remote file and reference locally" button

You should then see your image posted, like this:

Works ok, but I still haven't found a way to resize images--they're pretty big as is.

Tom

Tom, I don't know what this looks like at your end, but over here, all I'm seeing where the image should be is a gray circle with a dash in the middle... Bummer.

Here's how I'm currently posting images from Google Photos:

1) Click on the photo to open it.

2) Right-click the photo and choose "copy image address" from the drop-down menu.

3) Hit the little image button on your Forum post, choose the "From URL" option at the top, paste the copied image link into the box, and un-check the "Retrieve remote file and reference locally" button

You should then see your image posted, like this:

Works ok, but I still haven't found a way to resize images--they're pretty big as is.

Tom
    I once heard an old guy say "If you haven't been in trouble on the water, you just haven't been on the water very much."
    Now I'm the old guy!

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Noto View Post
    Tom, I don't know what this looks like at your end, but over here, all I'm seeing where the image should be is a gray circle with a dash in the middle... Bummer.
    Hmm. Thanks--this may not actually work, then. Does everyone see the photos below, or just the gray slashed circles? Thanks!

That's method #2--copy image address and paste directly into the text.

And this one? (Method #1, using the Forum's image button and url link):

I see both
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Looks like you have perfected your technique, Tom!
    I once heard an old guy say "If you haven't been in trouble on the water, you just haven't been on the water very much."
    Now I'm the old guy!

Hmm. Thanks--this may not actually work, then. Does everyone see the photos below, or just the gray slashed circles? Thanks!

That's method #2--copy image address and paste directly into the text.

And this one? (Method #1, using the Forum's image button and url link):

I see only a grey dot with a horizontal bar. I use an Apple computer.

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by jpatrick View Post

Jeff
    On a PC, I see the images in your copy

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    On a PC, I see the images in your copy

Oh, those PC's just make stuff up!

Jeff

Oh, those PC's just make stuff up!

Jeff
    As a programmer, I can attest to that! After all, it couldn't be my fault...

Jeff
    I see no image, just the gray symbol using chrome browser.
    Using Firefox, I dont even see a picture frame, no grey circle either.

Looking for my images in this thread, I still see my postimage.io, my google photos, but no Amazon prime photos, just broken links...
    Last edited by sdowney717; 07-06-2017 at 03:16 PM.

I don't know what I'm going to do.

I have the Sneakeasy thread. What's there was is poofed. I think the restoration of that boat should be documented here. It's kind of an iconic Phil boat, eh? And he was cool, eh?

I also have a "real" build I thought to document here, a build of a Blue Moon yawl. I owe it to at least one forumite to post pictures of the build, but I'm unsure of how to proceed.

I don't think anything I've contributed has been any great asset, but my pirogue rehab thread is poofed, too. Punt thread. All my pictures are poofed.

I want to ensure it doesn't happen again, but I also don't want to delve so deeply into the web that I own my own domain, just to post here. This is 33% of my internet. Really, I visit three places regularly. That's it.

I like this place, though, and want to continue to contribute what little I can.

Peace,
    Robert

P.S. I wasn't a leech on PicturePail, either. Just not generous enough, apparently.

I think every photobucket based thread is lost, I checked a few like Lofting the Brewer catboat and Una and some other popular threads, their photos are blocked. . .
    Steamboat

I get by with the judicious use of serendipity.

My photos seem to still to be intact. I wonder if they are going to raise the rate on my paid account to keep it that way.
    -Jim

Sucker for a pretty face.
    1934 27' Blanchard Cuiser ~ Amazon, Ex. Emalu
    19'6" Caledonia Yawl ~ Sparrow

Getting into trouble one board at a time.

Firbeck, Notts/South Yorks border, England

This may not work for every visitor to the forum. If the thread is still in place and the photographs have been replaced with a DIAL, then try clicking on the this and it may transfer you to the photobucket website and the photograph in question along with others in that specific album....good luck!

They killed 3rd party hosting". I just found out also. Posting in forums like this is 3rd party. The threads won't be lost, just the photos,

I'm sure it's a sign of the times, other sites are going to start finding ways to make you pay also

I'm already putting photos on Shutterfly I can copy and paste from my my desktop, but not from my cell phone
    Denise, Bristol PA, Oday30, Anchor Yacht Club, On tidal Delaware River. my current project; http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...0-Ducker-Resto

Probably cheaper to set up your own website than to pay a 3rd party host.

My photos are still up too. At one point I did pay for my service. I'm starting to wonder if I'm still paying yearly and haven't noticed, but that is why my photos and jsjpd's are both still up.

I've been using Flickr for a year or so now. So far it's been great. I do pay for the "pro" account but that was just so I can bulk upload large numbers of photos. It's not needed for regular hosting. The Flickr app also handles automatic upload from my phone. Of course with Yahoo changing ownership and Photobucket setting an example Flicker might change too. I will be looking at other options for sure. For those who are technically-inclined I think Amazon S3 cloud storage is a great option. Very inexpensive (pennies a month for anything we would be doing here), no limits on the amount of data and it's not going to go away or change policies like a specialized service would. I use S3 for general data archiving now and I may just move all of my photos there as well.

My ideal system would be a photo upload and management app that sits on top of Amazon S3 or other cloud storage service of the user's choice. No third-party trying to monetize my content. More research necessary but if it doesn't exist maybe I'll have to create it...
    - Chris

https://fvpetrel.wordpress.com

Life is short. Go boating now!

My photos are still up even from very old threads and I've never paid them a dime. But I expect to be phased out soon.

Photo Bucket often crashed my browser, and I hated clicking a link to it to see some one's pics. I like hosting my photos on my own url. I have complete control that way, but my wife is a webmaster so it's easy for me. I would always rather pay to not have ads on my stuff, just like I pay for Amazon and Netflix to avoid network or cable TV garbage.

Quote Originally Posted by jim_cricket View Post
    Photo Bucket often crashed my browser, and I hated clicking a link to it to see some one's pics. I like hosting my photos on my own url. I have complete control that way, but my wife is a webmaster so it's easy for me. I would always rather pay to not have ads on my stuff, just like I pay for Amazon and Netflix to avoid network or cable TV garbage.
    about 2 years ago I was getting tons of spam and redirects when going to or on PB I think it was intentional to get people to buy less ads. now with this new $399 deal it's like Philadelphia with the soft drink tax LOL "not gonna get you nutin"
    Denise, Bristol PA, Oday30, Anchor Yacht Club, On tidal Delaware River. my current project; http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...0-Ducker-Resto

While Flickr isn't causing me any problems (yet), I fooled around with Google Photos today. Works easy enough, but my pictures come out way too large. Can't figure how to make them a tad smaller.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Jones View Post
    While Flickr isn't causing me any problems (yet), I fooled around with Google Photos today. Works easy enough, but my pictures come out way too large. Can't figure how to make them a tad smaller.
    Yes, I haven't found a "resize" option in the photo editor, so I'm not sure there is a way to do it with Google. Anyone have a way that works?

Tom

Originally Posted by Norman Bernstein
    Once again, I suggest that you skip any 'photo-sharing' sites, and just establish a domain and service from any of the myriad of companies that offer web-hosting/email/disk space for a simple low fee.

For example, GoDaddy will give you 100 Gb of storage, unmetered bandwidth, and even cover your domain registration for $3.99/mo in the first year ($7.99/mo thereafter). You can build your own website.... or just use FTP to access the 100Gb of storage:

https://www.godaddy.com/hosting/windows-hosting

ANY of the 'free' photo-hosting sites will inevitably subject you to changing policies, and even 'ransom', like Photobucket, when they decide that they need to monetize the effort. Having your own account with a provider frees you from that risk.... and gives you 100% freedom to post whatever you want (no censorship, etc).

To access the disk space, the simplest method is to use FTP, which has been around since the Internet wore diapers. Nowadays, FTP clients are super-simple to use, intuitive, and often free... the one I am using presently is called 'Filezilla', and it's ultra-simple to use.... I used to use WSFTP, but I recently saw that they eliminated the free version. There are many others. Filezilla looks simply like a dual-window file explorer, with your local disk on one side, and the directory of your disk space on your provider's disk, on the other.... you simply drag from one side to the other, to transfer files.

I've been doing it this way, for many years now.... and never had a hassle.

Yes. I have been preaching this line for years Norm. If a person is able to build a boat, then that person should be able to establish a domain and upload images to it.

However, there is an even better solution. Wooden Boat Magazine should advance past the medieval times of the internet and allow image hosting on their own server. I do not recall ANY other similar site which requires visitors to arrange their own image hosting!

I can imagine only two reasons for this.
    1. The first (and the one announced by the management here) is that image hosting would slow down dial-up customers' experience. The problem is that dial-up comprises approximately 1-2% of net connections these days. It is no longer 1996.
    2. The second is that perhaps the management is concerned that hosting images will require additional storage ability on the part of our hosts here. I checked the size of a typical image on this forum. It was about 150KB; thus a MB would contain about seven similar images. There are 1,000,000 MBs in a TB. A TB hard drive costs far less than $100!!!

It appears that this forum software, though antiquated, is capable of being reset to an environment with reasonable image hosting is enabled. This will no doubt take some engineering. However, I am sure it would be to the benefit of WB. The people that are confused by the anorexic hosting are the newcomers...Wooden Boat is discouraging exactly those that they should be encouraging!

They lost me as a loyal customer a year or so back. I'd been paying for additional bandwidth for a few years - at the $30 level, but the "pay for no adverts" rort led me to Smugmug. I pay $60 a year there for hosting. Smugmug is family-owned and operated - by the owners of ADVrider website. There's no guarantee that won't change... but their operation is SOOOOO much nicer to deal with than P'bucket.

My level of linking is interesting (to me at least). I've popped into the Smugmug activity app a few times. I often have over 3,000 views a day, so I guess I understand why P'Bucket wants to clip the ticket a bit more.

I still have 11,500 or so photos on P'bucket.... which I use solely for 3rd party linking. I was surveyed by P'Bucket a few days ago - and answered to that effect. No email from them yet, but I'm expecting that I'll be in a future ransom tranche. They seem to have started with those who don't pay... and are working their way through.

As a self-declared expert in customer service and pricing policies (and as a consultant who has developed some contentious pricing policies), I feel that I can confidently say, they've gone about this the wrong way. So many wrong ways.... Quite frankly, I'd like to see them drop off the face of the earth.

btw.... I still actively avoid SONY products and services... and it was their Imagestation fiasco that drove me to P'Bucket many years ago.

Take a look at Smugmug
    Last edited by The Bigfella; 06-30-2017 at 07:48 PM.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

I'd rather look back at my life and say "I can't believe I did that" instead of being there saying "I wish I'd done that"

i would recommend http://imgur.com/ for simple photo hosting - the upload and link copying is painless, you can even do it without an account. they have no paid option and since 2015, images will not be deleted unless requested. Policies can change but so far it has been a pretty reliable service.

It's less (not) useful for multiple albums and storage, but for thread photos it's perfect.

Very annoying to discover the photos from my year long build thread expunged by PB--I stopped using them a year or so ago because it kept crashing, posting images was becoming severely glitchy, and the program was full of unwanted adds. It would be one thing to prospectively create a paywall, but to retroactively hold images hostage for usurious rates is just......charming.

building albums on a new host site is TYME CUNSUMING!!!

sw
    "we are the people, our parents warned us about" (jb)

steve