Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Quest
    • Aug 2011

Re: If you have photos on Photobucket

Hi all, just replaced the photos in the first six or seven pages of my thread.

I was able to copy and paste direct into the thread from my blog. Didn't have to create links, just as easy as that. Modified each one by deleting the photobucket symbol and then pasting pic in direct in the edit function. Thankfully I could figure out most of the pics from the blog.

Was a nice walk down memory lane, but I wouldn't want to do more than a few pages.

Mal
    Quest

Slowly finishing the last few bits on the Welsford Sundowner "Overkill", then learn to sail it.

Hobart Wooden Boat Festival 2017, or maybe 2019ish didn't happen. One day!

http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...undowner-build
    http://sundownerbuild.blogspot.com.au/

Comment

• sproggy
      • Jun 2017

I have created a Facebook account specifically for photo hosting - I'm not a 'Facebook user' in other respects. I don't see Facebook going anywhere any time soon, or charging for photo hosting. Nobody can find my account and notifications are disabled so I won't get bothered. Here's a test photo:

If this works it seems viable unless, as others have suggested, Facebook regularly change photo URLs. Time will tell.....

EDIT: Works in Chrome and IE on a PC on which I have never logged in to Facebook, whether I am logged into the forum or not.

Comment

• sdowney717
        old egg owner
        • Jan 2004

I see the facebook pictures, but this is a risk as they do change URL's for security purposes, they will expire.
        Unless Facebook has changed their policies.

Tapatalk uploads pics to their site from your site, so they wont expire unless Tapatalk goes under. I found my Amazon photos work fine with them and you can create albums with Amazon Photos.
        Have to use your phone for Tapatalk. When you click to add image using Tapatalk icon, it shows pictures on your phone, click 'more' on upper right and I can select from gallery, google photos or amazon photos.
        Amazon has an app for your phone o automatically download pictures and video from your phone

Gallery started working for me, earlier Tapatalk complained about unsupported file format..

For my PC I can use Postimage.
        Last edited by sdowney717; 07-12-2017, 05:01 AM.

Comment

• sproggy
          • Jun 2017

Hmmm, that does sound pretty conclusive. And it makes sense - anyone could view someone's Facebook-posted image and link to it from another site. That's not good from a privacy point of view.

I tried Smugmug but their iPhone app doesn't offer any editing tools - not even image rotation. So if you've taken an image with the phone at a strange angle you have to edit it on the phone before upload to Smugmug. I guess that's not a big deal if you know about it. But it gets worse - there's no deletion facility if you upload the wrong image. Then you can't get the image URL out of the iPhone app either, so how are you supposed to link to it from another site? That seems like a major failure on the part of the app designers to me. I'm on a free trial but won't be signing up for a paid one when it ends.

I'll check out Amazon Prime Photos - I already pay for Prime so I may as well take advantage of it. I was trying to avoid committing to a hosting site where, should I fall out with them or them with me, all links to photos I've posted will be broken. I guess that's the case wherever you host.

Comment

• sdowney717
            old egg owner
            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by sproggy
            Hmmm, that does sound pretty conclusive. And it makes sense - anyone could view someone's Facebook-posted image and link to it from another site. That's not good from a privacy point of view.

I tried Smugmug but their iPhone app doesn't offer any editing tools - not even image rotation. So if you've taken an image with the phone at a strange angle you have to edit it on the phone before upload to Smugmug. I guess that's not a big deal if you know about it. But it gets worse - there's no deletion facility if you upload the wrong image. Then you can't get the image URL out of the iPhone app either, so how are you supposed to link to it from another site? That seems like a major failure on the part of the app designers to me. I'm on a free trial but won't be signing up for a paid one when it ends.

I'll check out Amazon Prime Photos - I already pay for Prime so I may as well take advantage of it. I was trying to avoid committing to a hosting site where, should I fall out with them or them with me, all links to photos I've posted will be broken. I guess that's the case wherever you host.

Yes, it works fine using Tapatalk with Amazon Prime. You have to setup Tapatalk to work with the forum, and you need to learn how t use it.
            With Amazon phone app, your phone pictures automatically upload to Amazon.

I tried linking Amazon photos directly here, but you have the same issue of url changing, I think. I can view my picture posts not using the Tapatalk app for now.
            I posted multiple pics using Tapatalk with Amazon photos in this thread.

Example Amazon photo no Tapatalk. Issue is, can others see this, and will the URL not expire by Amazon for security issues.

I made this Bimini top and straped it on versus making a sleeve. I have a 1/4 inch vinyl galvanized cable inside the fabric. Drilled holes, And I glued the top together with PL Premium, not stitched.
            Last edited by sdowney717; 07-12-2017, 05:36 AM.

Comment

• sproggy
              • Jun 2017

Shared from Amazon Prime Photos:

Comment

• sproggy
                • Jun 2017

Originally posted by sdowney717
                Issue is, can others see this, and will the URL not expire by Amazon for security issues.
                Yes to the first question. As for the second.....?

Comment

• sdowney717
                  old egg owner
                  • Jan 2004

Ok same photo using tapatalk

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Comment

• sproggy
                    • Jun 2017

Also visible, but the image is reduced in size.

Comment

• sdowney717
                      old egg owner
                      • Jan 2004

Too bad tapatalk does not let you select albums. You get a long viewable list of pictures. If you have many then lots to scroll to find them.

Comment

• sdowney717
                        old egg owner
                        • Jan 2004

Shared from Amazon Prime Photos:

I see it too

Comment

• sdowney717
                          old egg owner
                          • Jan 2004

Amazon discussion about if links are permanent, and someone said the amazon rep said they are. Which is very encouraging!

Bartosz Lewandowski says:

Are you sure this links are temporary?
                          This is the answer I received from Amazon.

"From your comments, I see that you'd like to know if links to your images are permanent.
                          Please be assured, the links of the images are permanent and they wouldn't change.
                          You can go ahead and link them in your blog. "

BUT! reading about temp links say 48 hours. So see if these pictures disappear
                          However this is talking about Amazon drive....which is different or not?
                          TempLink
                          Definitions of terms for the Amazon Drive API and SDKsAccount Access ControlThis refers to what type of content your app is able to access in a customer account; such as images,...

A tempLink is a temporary URI provided for the purpose of downloading content from Amazon Drive. A tempLink should be used only when it is not possible to send an authentication to the server to retrieve the contents of a file. Example: If you create a gallery with photos on the web where the app lists all of the photos from the the user's Amazon Drive account and display the content.
                          A tempLink is read only and allows the same functionality as a node; such as requesting modification of an image. A tempLinks is a transient URI and should be used only when all other options are not implementable. The expiry for a tempLink is shared across apps. A tempLink expires after 48 hours; but is refreshed after 24 hours if any app sends a request, which invalidates the old tempLink. Since the expiry is shared across apps, there is a chance for the tempLink to be requested just prior to the 24 hour (or 48 hour) expiry; so apps should send a request for a new tempLink when a response from Amazon Drive is includes an HTTP Status Code of 404 Not Found or 410 Gone.
                          Example:
                          So perhaps a copied image address link is temporary, but the share link is permanent. The share link will take you to amazon to display the picture.
                          Last edited by sdowney717; 07-12-2017, 06:18 AM.

Comment

• sproggy
                            • Jun 2017

Amazon Drive is different from Amazon Photos. The former is solely an image storage/sharing facility while the latter is for general file storage/backup which can include photos. It's not surprising if their behaviour differs.

Comment

• sdowney717
                              old egg owner
                              • Jan 2004

Amazon Drive is different from Amazon Photos. The former is solely an image storage/sharing facility while the latter is for general file storage/backup which can include photos. It's not surprising if their behaviour differs.
                              Check back after 48 hours and we will see if the Amazon photos are still visible.

Example look at my posts #59 and #60, I posted with an Amazon link, and I can no longer see the photos. Seems to have expired links.
                              Last edited by sdowney717; 07-12-2017, 07:02 AM.

Comment

• gypsie
                                NSW Australia
                                • Jun 2010

for my money Google Photos would be great if it can work.
                                it seems to be hit and miss.

Has anyone successfully uploaded from Google Photos?
                                Can they share the secret?

or has it been sometimes yes and sometimes no - but for no obvious reason?

so many great and informative photographs gone - that really sucks!!
                                It's all fun and games until Darth Vader comes.

Comment

Working...