Thread: Hacker's "Slippery"

Smile Hacker's "Slippery"

For a long time I've been wanting to build a SMALL raceboat and now have a 26 hp Kawasaki stand-up jetski engine/pump in good condition available at no cost to me. I have 59 years experience at building radio controlled boat models and several full size boats. "Slippery" has really got my attention and I'm thinking about building her LIGHT and with the 26 hp plant installed aft of the single seat. She is 14' X 5'......I fully understand that many of you cringe at the thought of using any part of a jetski for anything however I would appreciate any constructive thoughts you may have to offer. I don't expect high speed performance.....something around 20-25 mph would be plenty for this old man (age 78).......many thanks in advance!

John Campbell
    The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation......Thoreau

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Default Re: Hacker's "Slippery"

I wonder if a 26hp jet will even get her to plane?

Crandell and Nedwidek had some small outboard powered racing boats and hydroplanes. Motorboating Vol33 "outboard boats you can build", might have something a little lighter that would go a bit better with 26hp. I do not have problem planing a 300lb boat with my 130lb plus a 15hp Evinrude, but she is flat bottom. Only thing that puts me off is the revs and the noise, not exactly relaxing. Ear plugs a must if not already deaf.
    I might have Vol 33, if there is anything that might interest you, i could look it up if you are not dead set on the Hacker.

I'm really determined to build a Hacker......have built 7 Hacker radio controlled models over the last few years and dearly love them. I'm currently building a 76" X 18" gas/electric RC model of Hacker's "Rosita", a 1924 Gentleman's Raceboat. She has 30 cc gas w/centrifugal clutch and w/on board starter for forward and dual Mack Products electric motors into a gearbox for reverse using an electric clutch on the prop shaft. In building "Slippery" full size, even though she will initially be equipped with the jetdrive engine & pump, I plan to equip her with a forward hatch and install a bronze shaft log w/stuffing box (plugged to keep water out) and also install Sitka spruce engine stringers (fiberglassed) spaced so as to accommodate engine mounts for a V6 marine engine if it turns out that the jetski is not to my liking. I'm planning to use Okoume 18 mm ply for frames, Sitka spruce for deck beams and framework stringers. I'll sheath her deck and sides with 1 layer of 4 mm Okoume ply and bottom with 2 layers of same. Sides will be laminated with 1 layer 5/16" Port Orford or Spanish cedar, deck will be laminated with 1 layer 5/16" Honduran mahogany, bottom with 2 layers Honduran mahogany. Her keel and stem will be white oak. I will not start lofting her until I finish "Rosita" which will be around 60 days from now.......thanks for the response....I appreciate it very much.

Wonder who built the model of "Slippery"?......beautiful!

I have plans for several hackers. I came close to setting up for triple cockpit build, they do have a certain elegance and style that attract attention even today. Only thing i can think is you may need a ballast tank forward to help with trim, but its not exactly a huge weight aft, the bigger issue is getting the weights balanced so that the step works as intended.

You're exactly right about the trim issue.....the hatch will allow good access to that. I found a web site that sells patterns for "Slippery" for $150...then there's Kinko's cost of around $150 for the paper...I really enjoy lofting so I think I'll go that route. Somewhere I've heard there's a group of people in Vietnam that are really good at lofting....does anyone know anything about that? It'll be around 60-90 days before I finish my "Rosita" model including an ornate box mounted on my aluminum Castlecraft canoe trailer to transport, show, and launch her so "Slippery" is on the back burner for a while.

Out of curiosity, would the PWC engine require an intake that ought to be worked into the construction from the beginning, and would require a radical rework if later down the road you decided on an inboard instead?

The PWC engine definitely requires a "scoop" of sorts in the hull bottom to assure maximum water flow into the pump and will be taken into consideration when I loft the boat and my plan is to incorporate a section of the bottom between the seat and transom to accomplish that and make it removeable and replaceable to the extent that the overall structure of the hull is not compromised. The main idea behind the project is to ultimately build the boat as a true inboard with an in-line 4 cylinder or V6 marine engine for power. Since the PWC will be given to me at no cost at all, I think it would be great fun just to try it out and see how much fun it might be. If it doesn't work out, that won't be a big disappointment at all.

You do see that Slippery is a step hydro? Step boats have very high longitudinal stability and trim is determined by the step. Its not very dependent on weight distribution. I'm skeptical of this boat being suitable for your engine but, who knows. You should make sure before investing in the building. Another classic that is not a step bottom and may be suitable is Mucho Gusto.

If you are set on a Hacker, do some more research.

Edited to add: A Glen L Squirt has been built with PWC power.
    Last edited by Tom Lathrop; 07-03-2017 at 06:28 PM.
    Tom L

Folks tend to sawzall the whole bottom out of a jetski and cut a hole in a runabout(like squirt) and epoxy the whole lot in.
    Putting a jet in a hydro would at best be a novelty, possibly a dangerous one.
    Jets loose a fair amount of power compared to a prop , I believe.

Well, Gentlemen.....have made the decision to forget all about the PWC engine and go with a 3.0 liter Mercruiser with suitable tranny. I've wanted to build Hacker's "Rosita" (full size) for 35 years (see no. 45 March/April '82 of our favorite mag) after Jim Forrest took my wife and me up the Merrimack River for a wonderful ride in October '82...was like a religious experience for me......have loved Hackers ever since. "Rosita" at full size was (and is) too big and too expensive for me to build full size and "Slippery" looks like a good project with lots of eye appeal and I'm going to start on her lofting soon as I finish my model of "Rosita". The Zip file drawing shows a 4 cylinder Lycoming 135 cubic inch engine which should "translate" okay to the little Mercruiser I think. Would really like to know the WEIGHT of the Lycoming with tranny......the Mercruiser is 513 lbs. plus around 80 for the tranny. Also, the Kaiser & Co. "combination strut/rudder" is likely long extinct so that may be a problem......any thoughts on using a "regular" 10 degree strut and outboard rudder (or inboard rudder)? I have not yet researched the strut and rudder issue. Also, the Zip file only yielded 4 drawings and there must be at least one more and will be in touch with W.B. research lady for assistance with that. And, Tom, yes, I see the stepped bottom and I don't plan to change anything about that. I appreciate all comments......I will be 80 years old on 01/31/2019 and I am dreaming about running across Lake Belton in "Slippery" (aka "Little Rosie") on that day........................thanks to all.

A few years back, there was a WB article on the use of a PWC drivetrain in a boat styled on a lobster boat.

Had you considered redesigning the bottom to more closely mimic the hull of the original PWC?

Jim, I toyed around with the idea of redesigning the bottom but gave that up pretty fast as I have too much respect for Mr. Hacker's work to tackle that....also thought about doing it like Wizbang mentioned but all things considered, I really want this boat to be built as close to Mr. Hacker's design as possible. I'm basically a boat model builder (a long time hobby) but have also built full size craft such as Baker's "Piccolo", Atkins "Victor Slocum" and "Annabelle", Walter Simmons' "Harbor Skiff", two of Tom Hill's 11'8" canoes (one had a Honda 31 cc Mini-4stroke inboard engine (yep!), and others so I think I can handle "Slippery" without too much trouble and she will take me a full year to build, maybe more, as I am pretty slow and extremely careful with my work. Model building has taught me to really appreciate Thoreau's statement "Nothing can be more useful to a man than determination not to be hurried".

John,

I think you are taking the most reasonable course that has the best chance of resulting in the boat you want. Really glad that you decided against redesigning a step bottom as that can be fraught with peril. I fully appreciate your starting a building project at 80. I will be 86 in September and there may still be another boat in the future. Hard to give it up after the others are all finished and most all have left home. That "quiet desperation" stuff does not stand a chance in an active boat shop. Apologies to Thoreau.
    Tom L

Wonder who built the model of "Slippery"?......beautiful!

The model of Slippery was built by John Pocius. There was an article about it in Model Shipwright magazine no. 127 way back in 2004.

You can find more pictures of it here:
    http://linpocius.home.mindspring.com/Slippery_3.html

Anders

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Lathrop View Post
    John,

I think you are taking the most reasonable course that has the best chance of resulting in the boat you want. Really glad that you decided against redesigning a step bottom as that can be fraught with peril. I fully appreciate your starting a building project at 80. I will be 86 in September and there may still be another boat in the future. Hard to give it up after the others are all finished and most all have left home. That "quiet desperation" stuff does not stand a chance in an active boat shop. Apologies to Thoreau.
    Hey, Tom, you got my plan all wrong!.....I'm gonna start building that little beauty this fall....will finish my "Rosita" model not later than September 30, 2017 and then start lofting "Slippery", allow 30 days to loft her as she has to be dead on perfect......that gives me 15 months to build her and that puts me to 80th birthday on 1/31/2019......ready for Lake Belton! The idea of building a full size Hacker, albeit a little one, is just the most exciting thing I can imagine! And old Thoreau is one of my favorite people.......there's two men that came through this country that I wish I could have known.....Henry David Thoreau and John Ludwig Hacker......Hacker's birthday is the same as my paternal grandmother's .....I almost feel a kinship.....ain't that nutty?

Quote Originally Posted by Steggen View Post

The model of Slippery was built by John Pocius. There was an article about it in Model Shipwright magazine no. 127 way back in 2004.

You can find more pictures of it here:
    http://linpocius.home.mindspring.com/Slippery_3.html

Anders Thank you, Anders, I really appreciate that!

Thank you, Anders, I really appreciate that!

John,

There are wooden boat builders in Austin not far (by Texas standards) from your home in Belton. I'm building the Tom Lathrop designed Bluejacket 25.5 while my friend Ed has completed a Bluejacket 27. Near my home is Carl who is building a Glen L 21' Vera Cruz. Lake Travis is/will be the home port for these boats.

Beyond your prospective building of Slippery, I marvel over your R/C boat featuring a 76" hull. I wonder if the first time a water cop saw this large model was there head scratching in regards to whether Texas registration numbers were required.

Best wishes for much fun in building your full size Hacker.

Dave, what do we have to do to get Peter over at Fine Lumber & Plywood on Brown Ave. to stock some decent boat building lumber like 18 mm Okoume marine ply, Sitka spruce, Honduran mahogany? He carries nothing thicker than 6 mm ply, no Sitka spruce, and no Honduran. Got to go to Clark's in Houston to get what I want and last time I did that, I got in the wrong lane on some damn expressway and wound up downtown but it was somewhat pleasureable as I got to watch some of those good lookin' secretaries (to all those big oil men) crossing the street. Ran into a very kindly Mexican cop in a BBQ joint and he led me straight to Clark's real quick.....he was wondering why the hell I had to drive all the way to Houston for lumber like "don't you guys have any lumber yards in Belton?"!)...... Rory, my neighbor down the road, is building a 21 foot sloop and has an 18 foot trailer and we're scheduled to go to Clark's on Sept. 9 so I'll definitely have a list.

John,

In 2009 I went out nationwide for quotes on 45 sheets of Joubert Okoume plywood for my Bluejacket 25.5. The order was predominately 9mm with some sheets of 4, 6, and 12mm.

I received six quotes including one from the folks in Houston where I would have driven down to pick up the plywood thus avoiding shipping costs. The low cost winner was Forest Plywood in La Mirada, Ca whose shipper arrived at my garage in an 18 wheeler.

With the years rolling by, I found I needed four more sheets of 9mm Joubert Okoume to finish off the cabin trunk so off I go to Houston. Six hours round trip for four sheets of plywood. Later, I needed one more sheet of 9mm but in lieu of another six hours on the road for Joubert, I purchased a 9mm sheet of Aquatec from Austin Fine Hardwoods (they didn't stock 9mm Joubert) to finish the cockpit sole. This plywood is heavier than Okoume and splintered easily when cutting but this a small inconvenience in avoiding six hours on the road.

Yes, I feel your pain in finding a local wood supplier for serious boat builders. I'm the poster child for being penny wise and pound foolish in ordering material quantities that are just enough to do a job in a perfect world with no fabrication errors or misunderstand of construction plans. My screw up with the original order in 2009 cost me six hours on the road and loss of quantity pricing.

Recently I learned of Dakota Premium Hardwoods (512 389 9773) near Bergstrom airport in Austin. I have yet to visit their store thus no idea on what they carry.

In a recent issue of Woodenboat mag, John Harris, who founded Chesapeake Light Craft, authored an educational if not cautionary tale on today's marine plywood offerings.

Dave, so far I've never had a problem with Joubert and for the 18 mm frames and Sitka spruce deck beams, I'll coat all with West Systems 105 product. In the distant past I used some Brunzyeel Okoume from M.L. Condon Lumber Co. in New York state and had heard that it was the best....matter of fact, someone (I think maybe Tom Hill in Vermont) said he had used scraps of Brunzyeel for stakes in his vegetable garden and they were still good after 20 years in the ground.....but I'd really have to think it all over before paying that New York-to-Texas freight charge. I'll get in touch with Dakota hardwoods to see what they carry. Some Australian blokes built "Rosita" full size using 18 mm Okoume for frames (not sure of the brand) and it was a successful project so that's what I plan to do at this point. Aquatec is okay but I'm not an overly strong person and I have to build alone (my wife passed away 13 years ago) so handling sheets of 18 mm Aquatec would be a problem especially in my limited shop space. My "Rosita" model is proceeding with renewed vigor...forward and ear hatches are now planked....next is the 1/32" ply underlayment on the rest of the deck...then comes the rudder blade and 10 degree strut out of pattern grade Honduran and get them off to non-ferrous foundry in Arlington for casting.....SO MUCH FUN for an old fart, no?

Already I'm a bit concerned about success of my project.....called Mercury Marine this a.m. about the use of their 3.0 liter engine and was quickly told that it would not work on a 10 degree shaft angle....that it was for stern drive operation only.....was told that it could handle maybe as much as 5 degrees but definitely not 10. The fellow I talked with didn't seem to be at all interested in my project. More research is in order.....don't even want to consider a used power plant unless I had some really good references on the seller and definitely nothing that had ever been in salt water.

Now some more bad news.....it seems that nobody is making 4-cylinder marine engines any longer.....the kid at Mercury Marine didn't bother to tell me that.....have called several companies around the country inquiring about 4 cylinder marine engines and have been told I'm "wasting my time....they ain't out there". I was planning to use a tranny with 8 degree down angle so I could mount the engine at 2 degrees and meet the 10 degree shaft angle requirement.....now it looks like I can't find a NEW engine.....I definitely don't want an antique engine as I'm not interested in trying to locate parts....anybody got ideas? Two of the reasons the 4 cylinders have disappeared is (1) emission requirements and (2) the quest for high horsepower. Sad....Sad...Sad

My son and I have been doing EXTENSIVE research on trying to find the right combination of a 4 cylinder marine engine and transmission.....we've tried for 3 days......many phone calls and much web searching.....I have found only ONE supplier that can fill this need and he wants over $13,000 which includes a COMPLETE engine, transmission, bell housing, and coupling.......I'm waiting on a phone call for Friday 7/14 for one other possible source....right now it looks like I may have to give up this project......depressing

Just wanted to report that I have found only two sources for a marine engine for "Slippery".....Kodiak Marine in Washington state for a 130 hp 4 cylinder GM based unit including transmission for $10,300 and Jbboats in Louisiana for a 75 hp 3 cylinder GM based ("Ecotech") with transmission for $9,300. Both are more than I'm willing to pay so please consider this.........the Kohler CH1000-2012 AIR COOLED Mudboat engine produces 40 hp at 3600 RPM and 61 foot pounds of torque and displaces 61 cubic inches. At 3600 RPM it generates a volume of 219,600 cubic inches per minute or 127 cubic feet per minute. The engine compartment of "Slippery" is 45 cubic feet. Jabsco (through Hamilton Marine) can supply a bilge blower that generates 250 cfm. So tell me what's wrong with using this engine with the bilge blower sucking hot air out of the compartment with cool air being drawn in through a pair of large Hacker clamshell vents that were given to me several years ago by Mr. Bill Morgan (now deceased) of Hacker Boat Co. Also.....the Mudboat engine is carbureted.....that may be a problem owing to the 10 degree front-to-back angle that the engine will be mounted.....have referred this to Kohler rep for answer, i.e. will a "wedge" of sorts be needed between carburetor and intake manifold? I had thought about using the Kohler LH-775 liquid cooled (with radiator) 31 hp engine and that may be best however "Slippery" was designed for 40 hp and if it turns out that I use the LH-775 I'll still want the bilge blower. In either case I will have a Noram tri-lobe centrifugal clutch on the crankshaft, a Purvis roller clutch w/pulley on propshaft, a Toyota 12 VDC automotive starter motor w/pulley adjacent to and belted to the roller clutch pulley, and a switch on the dashboard that will turn on the electric motor (CW rotation) when engine is idling and reverse is needed. I realize it's a "rigged up deal" but I very seriously want to build this little boat and cost is to be considered.....constructive comments will be appreciated.