Thread: Another one concentrating on the "cosmetics"?

Default Another one concentrating on the "cosmetics"?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4649956/Moment-yacht-OAP-spent-five-years-renovating-SANK.html

If it ain't watertight everything else is superfluous.

Default Re: Another one concentrating on the "cosmetics"?

Is it required to go down with the ship while next to land?????
    Quote Originally Posted by George Jung View Post
    Don't under-estimate Jack. He's purty damned talented

She is an important yacht
    The sinking was just the latest drama in the life of the yacht, one of 100 built before the Second World War to train German sailors.
    Originally called Zeegeist, she was seized by the Royal Navy along with others in war reparations and almost all British service personnel who sailed offshore for the next two decades were trained on what were known as Windfall yachts, because they were procured for nothing.
    but the numpty knew that there were open seams when he had her craned in.
    r Ogilvy, of nearby Forres, who was rescued by a fishing trawler, said: 'The cracks were bigger than I thought and the water came gushing in. We just had time to get off.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Quote Originally Posted by jack grebe View Post
    Is it required to go down with the ship while next to land?????
    Jack anyone with any self respect would be glad to go down with her when having to face all the ridicule that will be levelled at them in the locality.

It will move into Folklore.

Structurally unsound, or just needed a bit more time in the slings? Launching a boat with dried out planking is hardly unusual.

Quote Originally Posted by J.Madison View Post
    Structurally unsound, or just needed a bit more time in the slings? Launching a boat with dried out planking is hardly unusual.
    My impression is that the seams were completely open. No caulking.

Holy $hit! Burghead is one of my local harbours, just across the bay from Findhorn where I kept my boat until last year, and I never saw this in the local news. The poor guy, obviously a bit of an idiot but I still feel sorry for him. Oh well, maybe the seams will close up after sinking. Sounds like she needed some caulking.

Somewhere between Murder and Suicide, there is a place called Merseyside.

It seems that it was reported in my local paper, but it actually happened on the 17th, so the Mail has picked it up a bit late. The boat is now afloat again, see second report.

https://www.pressreader.com/uk/the-p...81543700915164

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp...-first-launch/
    Somewhere between Murder and Suicide, there is a place called Merseyside.

Oh, to have been in the local the first time he walked in afters. Who'd not stand him a pint ?
    Hands too small: Can't build his Wall!

Frayed Knot Arts: Fancywork and Rope Jewelry
    http://www.frayedknotarts.com.html[

A case for Slickseam? Anyway, sinking wooden boats to get them to take up has long tradition. It's just a bit out of fashion since electricity and engines boarded wooden vessels. As at least the smaller windfalls did not have engines originally (even the 50 qm didn't) and also did not have fancy stuff like electricity, maintaining tradition here appears stylish in a british original sort of way.

As for the windfalls - I believe some yards prided themselfes in building so accurate that when taken up, you did not need caulking. I have heard such rumours on A&R. Another technique on light boats was to have a groove on top of each plank and a thread of caulking in this groove. No idea how that could be refurbished without taking the planks off. I have seen the latter on a scandinavian built boat.
    Last edited by Henning 4148; 06-29-2017 at 03:32 PM.

Perhaps that one should be re-named a waterfall

Reviewing previous comments and came across this and immediately thought of this poor chap.

In my day there was a fierce pride in being good at whatever Trade you had chosen. The main reason for this was to avoid the REGULAR "pay off's". The pride element was usually because, with almost all the workforce residing immediately outside the workplace, there was no way you could leave work behind you when the buzzer went.
    Thus the stimulation was to be identified within the local community as being "good" at whatever you had chosen to be. For instance If any one was unfortunate to make a mistake it didn't matter which bar one tried to hide in there was a crowd waiting for one to appear and the clamour of voices could be heard saying "you made a right c0(k there" or often much more derisive.

Now the workforce can reside miles apart and that stimulation is gone.

All he need was to learn how to panic bail. NOTHING removes water faster than a panicked man with a bucket

This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

Quote Originally Posted by Henning 4148 View Post
    As for the windfalls - I believe some yards prided themselfes in building so accurate that when taken up, you did not need caulking. I have heard such rumours on A&R. Another technique on light boats was to have a groove on top of each plank and a thread of caulking in this groove. No idea how that could be refurbished without taking the planks off. I have seen the latter on a scandinavian built boat.
    I have heard that they had two special tools, on for the top edge of a plank, the other for the lower edge of the next one. One tool, when pounded with a hammer crushed a groove into the plank edge, the other crushed the edges leaving a tongue. These were planed flat as the plank was hung tight seam, then when the plank swelled as she took up, the crushed wood recovered creating a tight tongue and groove.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.