Thread: Canned cheese

Default Canned cheese

Hi everyone. I'm looking for a supplier of canned cheese in New Zealand. I'm wanting to take some on my little wooden yacht to store and go on crackers while out cruising the coastline. I have looked on the Internet and I can only find canned butter. Anyone know of a supplier? Cheers

Default Re: Canned cheese

I have used cheese from the supermarket that was vacuum sealed and did not require refrigeration. I don't remember the brand.
    Here in the US there are "Preppers" who store food in case of disaster. Suppliers of canned and freeze dried food provide their needs. I have purchased canned meat from them. Maybe check camping suppliers?

I've heard that Velveeta "cheese" will last indefinitely without refrigeration. You might consider getting yourself one of those home-use "shrink wrappers" and see how that works for preserving small amounts. Also, you might consider "Cheese Wiz" in the aerosol can or one of those cheese spreads that comes in a jar. Mind you, these are "processed cheese-like spreads" and not fine bries!

Google canned cheese. It's all over the place.

Go to any turkish/middle east supermarket. They should have canned feta in brine. Wholesale places might even sell you the 25kg plastic containers.
    Hard cheeses don't need refrigeration (that's why the romans invented them to feed the army), buy the waxed ones or wrap them in a vinegar soaked cheesecloth. Buy the whole wheel, it lasts longer.

Someday, I'm going to settle down and be a grumpy old man.

Aaah ...... brings back memories:

https://www.arrse.co.uk/arrse_wiki/i...ese_Possessed&

Personally, I used to find it palatable eaten in alternate mouthfuls with the compo tinned fruit salad .......

Nick

Quote Originally Posted by New Zealand View Post
    Hi everyone. I'm looking for a supplier of canned cheese in New Zealand. I'm wanting to take some on my little wooden yacht to store and go on crackers while out cruising the coastline. I have looked on the Internet and I can only find canned butter. Anyone know of a supplier? Cheers
    New Zealand. Winter. You don't need canned cheese.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Cleek View Post

That is some repugnant sh*t, right there.

Squidged out of a machine, from a factory, downtown.

Nice.

We like this. And it's not just because half my family went to this university. Not sure if they ship internationally, but worth checking.

http://cougarcheese.wsu.edu/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I vaguely recall Grandma storing cheese in jars filled with vegetable oil.

regards,
    Joe
    These days, everything I do is just "puttering around"

>Bob Cleek:

Dear Sir. I stand in awe of your perspicacity in almost everything Nautical, mechanical, practical and philosophical, but.... When you deign to combine the words "Velveeta" and "Cheese" in the same sentence... Worse, as (shudder) equal nominators in that sentence, well, I feel that I must afford myself of this opportunity to express my complete disappointment, my outrage, my NAUSEA at your cavalier comparisons between something that, while yellow and vaguely "cheese-y" in nature but which has no actual relation in point-of-fact to any dairy product whatsoever, and the term "cheese", which is a specific adjective relating to the curdled and aged product of any (or many!) bovine mammary glands, well.... what can I say?

I am desolate in the face of such a betrayal.
    Hands too small: Can't build his Wall!

Frayed Knot Arts: Fancywork and Rope Jewelry
    http://www.frayedknotarts.com.html[

There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Just to go a step back in time, does anyone know where to find small *waxed* cheeses to keep aboard, unrefrigerated? Ideally something a little tastier than "baby bell" cheese balls?

Alex

Quote Originally Posted by 62special View Post
    We like this. And it's not just because half my family went to this university. Not sure if they ship internationally, but worth checking.

http://cougarcheese.wsu.edu/

This. Some of the best cheese around, can or not. It's in limited supply so not always available in the local grocery store. When it is, I grab it. Also note, this is NOT a spreadable cheese. It is a real, semi hard white cheddar wheel wrapped in a cheese cloth inside the can.

Last edited by ron ll; 07-01-2017 at 10:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pitsligo View Post
    Just to go a step back in time, does anyone know where to find small *waxed* cheeses to keep aboard, unrefrigerated? Ideally something a little tastier than "baby bell" cheese balls?

Alex

Snodonia Cheese Co. 'Black Bomber' is stunning, like you never tasted cheddar before. It's like, the Everest of cheese. It's the cheese mountain, upon whose peaks only a select few will experience such cheesy heaven.

You can wax any hard cheese yourself in any size you like. Cheese wax is available at stores and online. Just google it. And don't forget that cheddar is not the only cheese.

And here I thought cheeses needed special conditions for waxing...

Thanks Rumars. I now see small amounts of sharp cheddar in my future tuckerbox.

Alex

No special conditions needed. You can coat either by using a brush or by dipping the cheese in molten wax. Repeat until you have a thick shiny coat. Washing the cheese with vinegar before waxing kills the mold spores, important if you coat with a brush or melt the wax in a waterbad. Save the wax when you eat the cheese, it can be reused. Don't store cheese, waxed or not, in a plastic bag. Just wrap it in a cloth or hang it in an net and preferably out of the sun. Turn around every month. For shorter trips just wrap the cheese in vinegar soaked cheesecloth.

It was the anti-mold vinegar dip that I was missing, to make my own waxed cheese a reality. And the detail of letting it dry at room temperature for a day or two ahead of waxing, to let it develop a rind.

Current plan is to wait until Tillamook white cheddar goes on sale --not high-end cheese, I know, but good cheese for the price-- and make an experiment of a couple 2# bricks.

I expect the canned stuff probably does last longer under any conditions, but for a season of cruising, using up the leftovers in the off season, home-waxed should do me perfectly.

On a tangent, I remember having some really amazing tinned bacon while I was working wilderness education courses in Wyoming. I wouldn't mind having a tin or two of that tucked into a corner of the tuckerbox. I know bacon supposedly stores well in the open air, dry, but dry can be elusive on a small boat.

Alex

Thanks for all the info everyone. I like the look of the tinned ones, but the university brand doesn't ship internationally and the amazon site wants 10 buks plus postage per tin for the Bega variety. Loving the waxing and preserving suggestions. I'm defnately going to try something out there. Cheers!

Alex we have had great luck keeping Tillamook outside the fridge for many months. We just leave it in it's plastic wrapper. Our goal is to add sharpness. Typically, we use medium and keep it in the pantry for a couple of months. Longer the better. Storing sharp and extra sharp will also work and get sharper with age but the change is less marked. Stored cheese develops the same calcium lactate crystals as factory stored cheeses. The block will slightly flatten over time if not turned, but that is the only change I've observed. Home ageing cheddar has been a suggestion we adopted from a Tillamook employee and we have done this for at least 20 years. A BC kayaking guide we befriended was fond of saying "refridgeration is over-rated".

Quote Originally Posted by lupussonic View Post
    That is some repugnant sh*t, right there.

Squidged out of a machine, from a factory, downtown.

Nice.
    You betcha! It even comes in an aerosol can, or used to.

Quote Originally Posted by Vince Brennan View Post
    >Bob Cleek:

Dear Sir. I stand in awe of your perspicacity in almost everything Nautical, mechanical, practical and philosophical, but.... When you deign to combine the words "Velveeta" and "Cheese" in the same sentence... Worse, as (shudder) equal nominators in that sentence, well, I feel that I must afford myself of this opportunity to express my complete disappointment, my outrage, my NAUSEA at your cavalier comparisons between something that, while yellow and vaguely "cheese-y" in nature but which has no actual relation in point-of-fact to any dairy product whatsoever, and the term "cheese", which is a specific adjective relating to the curdled and aged product of any (or many!) bovine mammary glands, well.... what can I say?

I am desolate in the face of such a betrayal.
    ROTFLMAO! I live on a small farm outside of Petaluma, in Sonoma County, CA, the "California Wine Country" and the "foodie" capital of the US, or so it seems. It's primarily dairy, egg, poultry, and wine country, with just about everything else "artisan," "organic," "non-GMO," "cage free," "free range," "grass-fed,""locavore," and just about every other frou-frou certification label they can put on food so as to charge more for it. (The closer you are to the source, the less expensive this food gets. We can get really good, and really expensive wines direct from the wineries and cheeses direct from the cheese factories and so on at affordable prices.)

Petaluma is at the head of navigation the Petaluma River which runs down to SF Bay. There are over 125 places to eat in a town of about 60,000. Sonoma County has twenty-four Michelin Guide restaurants with five of these in Petaluma. They don't sell much Velveeta in the supermarkets here.

Save for pre-shredded cold-case packaged cheese I sometimes use for Mexican cooking and homemade pizza, I can't imagine I've eaten anything other than local artisanal cheese in our house for as long as I can remember. Yes, there is a difference. However, the guy asked for canned cheese, which, in my experience, is already so many notches down on the quality scale, that Velveeta would qualify.

Long distance cruising isn't for the faint of heart. It's not intended to be a fine dining experience. On a cold, wet, snotty night, even a can of Spaghetti O's is going to hit the spot! If you tie up at the town guest dock in Petaluma, though, you can probably make up for the limitations of cruising food by visiting the restaurants ashore!

Last edited by Bob Cleek; 07-20-2017 at 04:29 PM.

Ken

Alex we have had great luck keeping Tillamook outside the fridge for many months.
    Tilamook is my standard. I'll try aging some, as you suggest.

As for waxing the cheese at home, I chopped up a block of Tilamook into daily-ration-sized chunks and waxed them. I just got home from sailing up to Port Townsend for the Pocket Yacht Palooza: 13 days, no refrigeration. Hardly an extensive test of anything, least of all food preservation, but at that scale I can report complete success with the chunks of waxed cheese. No mold, no off flavor or texture. Very convenient. I'm a convert.

Alex