Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 45

Thread: Tammie Norrie comes to Coos Bay

Default Re: Tammie Norrie comes to Coos Bay

I went and bought a proper wet stone electric sharpener for my plane and chisel blades and have found it's made working with those tools so much more enjoyable.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve TN 15 View Post
    I went and bought a proper wet stone electric sharpener for my plane and chisel blades and have found it's made working with those tools so much more enjoyable.
    I was trying to find a sharpener that was affordable without a second mortgage. Settled on the Work Sharp WS3000. It's a dry sharpener, and I haven't played with it too much, but I think it will be sufficient. I know that sharp tools make all the difference, and to be honest that has been a huge weakness of mine. Patience can wait, right? I will let you know!

Ken

Main.jpgI got one of these, under $200 AUD

This is what I bought. Glass discs with four different grits for 4 sides. Slotted discs let you see through them if you're wanting to watch the chisel more closely. Air flow directed around the chisel/blade to keep from getting too hot. Adjusts to different angles as needed. I need to spend a few hours with it, try to sharpening everything I own and see how it does. About $200 US.(Not sure how that compares.)

Whatever system you use you'll love having sharp tools! I have an old Jet wet wheel I use for setting angles and a wet Japanese stone for the final honing, then hit them with a strop. harp tools are a huge improvement and infinitely safer!v

Steve, a little off topic, but did you put a drain plug in Miss Caroline? Don't remember seeing one in your build pics, but I may have just missed it

Ken

Good question grass hopper!

No I didn't and the other day it rained on the way home from the boat ramp ( when I say rain.....the sky fell ) I keep it in the garage so lifted the floor boards and vacuumed about 10 litres of water out with the shop vacuum then made use of the water to wipe her out with a damp rag and clean her a bit. I put her to bed with an old desk fan on the bow sheet blowing air through her for a few hours.

However..........
    The steamer I crew has a proper old school wooden life boat that half sinks every time we lower it for training purposes because we don't keep salt water in it. It's not part of our safety equipment anyway. The upshot of this story is that it has the neck screw and stopper from a hot water bottle in it as a drain hole! The female part is epoxied into the hull and the stopper screws in from the inside, it's the only part of the boat that doesn't leak!

Gratuitous plug, Sydney Heritage Fleet, you can see the boat on the top deck.

20181105_075256.jpg
    Last edited by Steve TN 15; 04-11-2019 at 12:31 AM.

So is the Waratah wooden? What is she used for? I did not know you were crew of a bigger boat!

As to the plug, I'm thinking more like you. Putting a plug in that beautiful transom would be like keying a brand new red corvette...probably worse. And otherwise you're going to have to put in one on each side of the keel, and I'm not loving that either. Removing a floorboard and a shop vac may actually be a better answer. I just know me; I play as long as I can, and by the time I get home I'm beat. Don't want that to lead to bad habits. Guess it's something you could do later if you decided it was necessary. And by the way, it does rain a little bit on the Oregon coast. (Sarcasm intended!) We're in the midst of severe flooding right now. Kinda makes me wish I had a boat...done.

Ken

So it's Noah now is it?

You would have to put two drain plugs in the TN, one either side of the centre board case. I wouldn't do it, besides you need encouragement to give her a wipe out with a wet rag now and then because they do get dirty.

As for other ships/boats, I'm in the Sydney Heritage Fleet who own, restore and operate several vessels, Waratah is an iron hulled coastal steam tug built in Sydney in 1902 and she's restored as original as with all our vessels. Iron plates riveted to the frames, original steam engine, coal fired etc. I wish I could crew her professionally but we are all volunteers and crew as we can.

I posted some pics of our wooden fleet in the FB wooden boat page today, have a look.

If you've heard of the tall ship James Craig which sails out of Sydney, she's one of ours. Iron hull refloated in Tasmania and towed to Sydney for a complete rebuild including 20000 iron rivets! We are now doing the same with the coastal steamer "John Oxley" she's got all new hull plates and probably a similar number of rivets.

We do cruises around the harbour for paying passengers and take them out for the NYE fireworks etc. The James Craig takes passengers to sea for the day a few times a month and goes to Hobart for the Wooden Boat Festival every two years.

John Oxley.jpegWaratah and JC.jpeg
    Last edited by Steve TN 15; 04-11-2019 at 12:33 AM.

Nice!

Finally got a little boat time today. Starting the process of preparing the keelson, stem and transom to receive the garboard plank. Cut off the keelson flush with the transom, then began the task of planing things down. It was especially enjoyable to see the keelson and the stem come together, beginning to look like one piece, though with some fairing left to do. 47783995621_5dff587b7d_m.jpg47783996821_f1da87669a_m.jpg47783994751_5e0219411c_m.jpg
    Last edited by KenStocker; 05-06-2019 at 05:47 AM.

Excellent, it's great to see the shavings start to pile up

NICE! That's exciting stuff.

Excellent, it's great to see the shavings start to pile up
    It is indeed! I started with the electric plane, and I am sure I will use it more, but finally thought, "You know, I'd just like to do some hand planing". Glad I did. I'm sure there's a place for both, but that shaping with a plane sure is nice. I know a local guy that said he saved a bag of planing shavings, right up till launch time. Finally tossed them, but just enjoyed seeing the result of his hard work. And let's face it...they just look cool!

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh MacD View Post
    NICE! That's exciting stuff.
    Thanks Hugh, it is indeed! I won't lie, I'm a little nervous. While I know that in theory there's nothing that can't be fixed, I want this to be done well. I think that's part of why I like the hand tools...slow and easy wins the race, right? It is fun to get the feel of the rolling bevel, as you turn the plane moving through the cut. It gives you a feel for what you are shaping, and how that's going to lie. Definitely exciting!

Thanks for chiming in guys,
    Ken

Quote Originally Posted by KenStocker View Post
    While I know that in theory there's nothing that can't be fixed, I want this to be done well. I think that's part of why I like the hand tools...slow and easy wins the race, right? It is fun to get the feel of the rolling bevel, as you turn the plane moving through the cut. It gives you a feel for what you are shaping, and how that's going to lie. Definitely exciting!

Thanks for chiming in guys,
    Ken
    Ken I couldn't have put it better myself.

There is nothing so satisfying as creating a pile of plane shavings and on one occasion I filled a 240 litre (64 US gallon) garbage bin with them.

On occasion my block plane got so much use it got quite warm to the touch.
    Last edited by Steve TN 15; 05-07-2019 at 02:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by KenStocker View Post
    . I think that's part of why I like the hand tools...slow and easy wins the race, right? Ken
    I dunno if it wins any races, but it lets me enjoy the process longer before I screw things up Looking great, Ken!

Got a little more time planing the keelson today. Pretty happy with how the plank is landing on the last 3 forms. It's the transom that has bugged me all along. It's just so narrow where the keelson lands, and now will have to bevel the transom for the plank land.(Third pic is from underneath,hope this makes sense.) I am probably overthinking this. I know the strength won't be a problem once the plank, keelson and transom are all epoxied in place. And in fact once the first plank land takes shape, I'll feel better. Just the "great unknown" to a nervous builder. Tell me I'm over-reacting!
    47785216412_e8ecc8cdd6_m.jpg 46921005995_8f71614f85_m (1).jpg47837380931_34abfd60a4_z.jpg40871417163_285d6ce6f5_m.jpg

Ken

Ken, use the force!

Seriously though, I know exactly how you feel but then I realised that you have to take the inboard corner off the next land so the plank lies fair with the "step riser" at the outboard point, if that makes sense.

You also have to bevel the land from the inboard edge towards the outboard edge.

What I'm trying to say is use the inboard edge of the flat "land" as the datum and remove material outboard of that but use the outboard edge of the "step" as the datum and remove material inboard of it.

Don't over do it because you will need to rebate each plank into the first as you do at the bow so each plank can end up proud of the transom but not more than 1/16" or 3/32"
    Last edited by Steve TN 15; 05-13-2019 at 01:21 AM.

I've been pondering your reply, and I think I understand most of it. The only part that gives me pause, and it's hard to explain, is where the bevel on the transom meets the keelson. I'm a visual guy, and most times I have no problem visualizing these things in advance. But if I continue beveling the transom, as you say from the inner edge outward, it feels like I am going to bevel away so much of that keelson that there is nothing left of the keelson for the plank to overlap. Does that make sense? It's that point of contact, that juncture, that I can't picture. I went back and looked at your build pics, and a couple of others, but it's hard to see. From the transom side all you see is a nice tight seam. I may be making too much of this, and as I bevel it may be easily clear to me. Just trying to avoid the old "Oops, that's not going to work" moment.

Ken

Yeah you will end up with a fairly narrow area there. Just keep the end goal in sight per the pic

20190515_092855.jpg

I feel like I'm being pretty dense here.
    I can see pretty clearly how it will look from the stern view. Using the inside edge of the transom as a fulcrum to bevel also makes perfect sense. But it still feels like continuing that bevel into the keelson, as you can see I started to do here, would take away all of the keelson that is attached to the transom. Where am I looking at this wrong???
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by KenStocker; 05-15-2019 at 07:30 PM.

Yeah, that's why I put a knee in the joint between keelson and transom.

You can leave a bit of a gap on the inside edge of the joint, maybe fair it 3/4 of the transom width and fill it with the epoxy fillet which I did from memory, it won't really change the shape of the boat.

But remember that if you fair it all the way, as long as the joint holds until both garboards are on it'll be fine because it becomes a monocoque construction, if I built another one I'd just put the knee in and rely on that and fair away as long as the end product is wide enough when planed to take the skeg
    Last edited by Steve TN 15; 05-15-2019 at 09:09 PM.

Oh, the irony! 10 seconds before I read this, I was downstairs pondering again, and I wondered if I could do just that, leaving just a small gap to fill with epoxy. Funny!! And I thought that I also remembered you adding a knee to strengthen that joint. Very, very encouraging, thanks! Thought I was seeing it correctly, but those compound angles can jump up and bite you.

I owe you another one...man these consulting fees are going to add up!

Ken

Yeah don't worry mate, I'll keep a tab on it!

Glad to be able to help Ken, I'm just keen to see you make progress.

I'll give you another tip, when applying thickened epoxy to the joint or after to create the proper fillet, a piping bag is awesome!
    However I wouldn't recommend pinching one from the kitchen, instead I used zip lock sandwich bags.

First cut across a bottom corner, maybe 1/8" and stuff that corner of the bag down into a small jar or spray can lid then fill with epoxy, seal the bag, work epoxy down to the cut tip and squeeze as you go.

It is far less messy (although you still need a flat tool to spread it over the surfaces to be glued) and it means you can start at one end of any gap and squeeze it in as you move forward so you don't leave voids.

You can have this tip for free !

Mostly just for peace of mind, installed a knee between the keelson and the transom. Just gives me the confidence that as I fair the transom and keelson, that joint isn't going to let go. Never saw myself as necrotic, but maybe it takes building a boat to bring that out in a person!

46961259195_d7d002b742_z.jpg

Mate, it's Mr Oughtreds design but it's your boat.

The following are 3 pictures. They are called great joint, pretty good joint, and my personal favorite, "How much of a gap will epoxy fill?", also known as "oops". 47833574622_efa101c131_m.jpg40919155293_a4ca4b8bf4_m.jpg47096197384_0d0800e68a_m.jpgOther than that, had a productive day planing the keelson, as well as putting the bevel on one side of the transom. Not having to worry about the joint I strengthened yesterday, I was able to shape it with confidence, and it went quite smoothly. I still have a fair amount of fine tuning to do on the keelson. I found myself matching the taper of the molds pretty well, but when I stood back and looked at the overall shape, it is apparent that I have not achieved a "fair curve". Too many highs and lows which I will smooth out next time. Taking a beach weekend next week with my daughters family, so it will be a couple of weeks till I can get back to it. But nice to keep moving forward a little. 47096197274_c9c01964eb_m.jpg47096195634_40d2f0df96_m (1).jpgLove seeing the planks curves forward and aft starting to take shape. I could almost hear the gurgle of water parting around the twist of the plank in the bow. Call me crazy, it's probably true anyway!

Ken

If you take a bit too much off in fairing don't panic. You can always epoxy a sliver of wood back in if the gap is too big but thickened epoxy is a wonderful thing

If you take a bit too much off in fairing don't panic. You can always epoxy a sliver of wood back in if the gap is too big but thickened epoxy is a wonderful thing
    Pretty sure I am not going to be able to let this one slide. Not a big deal to epoxy on another piece and then fair it back out. No reason not to take the extra time to do it right after screwing it up, right? (there's an oxymoron in there somewhere!)

Ken