Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 61516

Thread: Tammie Norrie comes to Coos Bay

Default Re: Tammie Norrie comes to Coos Bay

Looking good, Ken. I hope one of these days we'll be able to gather again and I'll get to see the boat in person...p'rhaps a Toledo show?

Thanks Hugh. I look forward to that as well. At the blistering pace I'm keeping, pandemics will be a thing of the past...at least I hope!

Ken
    When the desire to learn is greater than the desire to win, the journey becomes the prize.

Slowly making a little progress on the CB case. Put the caps on both ends, though I'll wait till the thwarts are attached to attach the top cap. One of the parts that I've been the most gun-shy about is the CB pivot pin installation. But I think I have it ironed out. I took a couple of pieces of scrap that were the right thickness and wrapped tape around them. This allowed the epoxy to be filled in the over-sized whole that accepts the plug assembly. (Not sure if there's a proper term for that.) Once it cures I'll drill the smaller hole that will fit the brass pivot pin itself. Then the plug will be installed that would provide access to the pivot pin if needed. I am probably over thinking this, but I think it will work.

51569813887_f286879d42_c.jpg 51571314739_cf863a361c_c.jpg 51570874378_ef007377a9_c.jpg 51571314729_7f7a456a60_c.jpg

I do have a question. When I attached the case logs and trim, I thought I was being so careful cleaning up the squeeze-out. As the second picture shows...not so much. From here on out will be varnish only on the mahogany. I can only see the prep for the case as being somewhere between tedious and a life sentence. Do I dare catch the bulk of the sanding with a random orbital, or am I committed to hours of mini strokes by hand? I've never varnished before, so how perfect does prop need to be? I am assuming that most any blemish is going to tattle on you? Thanks in advance for some advice!

Ken
    When the desire to learn is greater than the desire to win, the journey becomes the prize.

Good excuse for buying an osscilating tool with a pointy sander-thingy. Or just paint the case and leave accents like the cap and stuff bright.

Your CB pin solution is very cool!

As for trunk installation, I used screws and epoxy. I had to angle the screws, as I forgot to pre-drill also. As Neil and I can both attest, whether you use screws or not, use a lot of epoxy!

Mike

For the centreboard in the Gannet I just drilled holes through the centreboard case logs, sealed with unthickened epoxy, redrilled and then ran a stainless steel bolt through with rubber washes under SS washers - per Iain Oughtred.
    The board was overdirilled and filled with thickened epoxy before redrilling for the bolt size.

No leaks & no wobbles - this bolt just has to support the board so its not under much stress under your board is metal - main centreboard stress is side-to-side & that's withstood by the case logs and case sides :-)

Good Luck Neil

yes, plenty of epoxy around those caselogs, especially fore & aft when you glue the case in.

Pretty much what I am doing here. I copied Steve Price a bit, except that he is skilled enough to have machined his own parts for this. The center of this is filled with thickened epoxy, all that's left now is to drill the smaller hole the size of the bronze rod. The metal plug is not really to hold the pin as much as it is to give access to it. That's all that's left before installation of the CB.(That and a little sanding and varnish.)

Ken

Looking good Ken, you've probably thought of it but because the epoxy is uneven you'll want to make a drill guide plug from a bit of dowel so the drill goes through on centre, unless of course you have a suitable drill press.

As for gluing it in, PLENTY OF EPOXY! Use a squeeze bag to get an unbroken bead exactly where it needs to be and for the sake of your sanity, get under the boat after the CB case is clamped and wipe excess epoxy away from the CB slot. I almost forgot that step and would have regretted it big time. There may even be enough room to form the squeeze out into a small fillet at the join with your finger.

Thanks Steve, I do have a drill press. Working to get a long Forstner bit that will drill all the way through the case so that it's perfectly(ish) straight for the pivot pin. Talking to my buddy that manages a tool store as we speak. They make an extension that a Forstner bit fits into to give you extra depth. He's gonna check if they have any in stock tomorrow.

Plenty of epoxy is the plan! Somebody also suggested a piece of wood with tape to center the case...wonder who? Good suggestions all, and much appreciated!

Ken

Ah yes, the taped block of wood

Yup, I have a cardboard box full of taped blocks & ply wood - very useful when you need to 'persuade' timber into placewith a clamp but want to keep the clamp unglued.

Regards Neil

Took a little time to rip that ridiculously gorgeous fir 2x13 for the floorboards. Made 4" wide boards that will be re-sawn to the necessary thickness. Notice the incredible straight grain.
    51574138367_3976890400_w.jpg51574138352_18a059f107_w.jpg 51597633833_9e3d5dbdf1_w.jpg
    Also got the hole for the pivot pin drilled, filled, drilled smaller to fit the pin, and the pin installed. Works like it should!
    51598080594_bcd8c7689a_w.jpg51597633633_26a255da88_w.jpg

51598083379_91363522ba_w.jpg Followed by a dry fit. Time to try my first time at varnish. Wishing I had a cleaner environment. No matter how much time I spend, I'm afraid that "dust free" will be a faint dream.

Ken

Looking good, Ken! I'me always looked at dust in my varnish as being a "non-skid" feature. All my work has really good traction

I like the way you think Hugh!!

Ken

Since you're a keen woodworker from way back, how do you normally finish your projects if you've never used varnish, oil, wax ?

Finish has always been, to be kind to myself, my absolute worst thing. Not gonna lie. So I have opted for the easy outs. Watco Danish oil, Polyurethane, or, on fairly rare occasions, paint. On a couple of exterior projects, a product called Sun Frog, oil based, easy to re-coat, has held up especially well on my exterior carriage style doors. You can see here the difference in an easy, foam pad restoring coat. Took less than 30 minutes.

51601778104_acf1402495_c.jpg 48459381947_0f8c1354d9_c.jpgThe island, on the other hand, was Watco topped with Polyurethane. Not too glamorous, but did the job. I tried beeswax on the top, and loved the way it made the colors pop. But it didn't hold up to the fairly aggressive use the top got, and I got tired of recoating it. As did my wife having to put up with it sitting for a day to soak it up. Not much counter space in a 1908 home. So...I retreated to being lazy and went back to the poly. So...short story long, one of the things I'm looking forward to learning is the use of varnish. Another of the things that seem difficult to do well, but seem like will be extremely rewarding if I can be disciplined to master it. Bought some plastic sheeting today to curtain off a more dust-free section in the shop. We'll see how that works.

Ken

Y'know, Ken...you're really making me feel inadequate. I'm not seeing much traction to be had on those surfaces But then your Tammie is already well past my skill level!

Must admit I use polyurethane on thwarts, sole, and bathroom worktop - I use a satin finish one because its a) tough and b) loses imperfections which a gloss finish would show up. My finishes are a long way short of perfect.........................

I do also use varnish - and I used on my spars which I am now wondering if it was a good idea, because the spars get dinged something awful. Might use something else on the spars for the CY. Also got annoyed with the ease that the spar varnish would skin in the can - think the lids lose their fit after they have been used a few times.................

Regards Neil

Yeah Hugh, that island could use a little traction, it's been a real slip/fall hazard through the years! But as Neil says, that polyurethane is tough stuff. The finish on that island is over 20 years old, and the drawers get used daily...still looks like new. I can see where using it on the thwarts has it's advantages, though I still plan to use varnish to make that maple pop. And I'm planning on using Deks for the spars, just for ease of re-finishing. And as to skill level...it's all about how well you hide the mistakes folks!!

Ken

I do also use varnish - and I used on my spars which I am now wondering if it was a good idea, because the spars get dinged something awful. Might use something else on the spars for the CY. Also got annoyed with the ease that the spar varnish would skin in the can - think the lids lose their fit after they have been used a few times.................

Regards Neil[/QUOTE]

I used spar varnish on the spars and it has so far flexed with the dings and not cracked, yes it skins over but that's why you buy "stop loss bags"

Hey Ken, given your workmanship on the doors/island you're way ahead of me in the woodworking stakes.
    Last edited by Steve TN 15; 10-24-2021 at 07:50 PM.

Thanks Steve, it's something I've always truly loved to do. I think it's part of why I wanted to build a boat. I'm surprised to find out how much I don't know. Hand tool skills; non-existent. Epoxy skills; no clue. Anything not built square, (at least not intentionally!)never even attempted. And then learning to sail it? We'll get back to that at a later date! You guys put me to shame in that stuff, so trust me I will have a million questions. But the beauty of wood is such a common denominator for all of us. I asked a guy with a cabinet shop one time if doing it for a living ever got old. He said that sometimes he got caught up against a deadline and it wasn't much fun. But as soon as he got past that ticking clock, his love for wood never changed. He pointed to a stick of oak and said, "How do you not love working with that?" Exactly!! I've never forgotten that.

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Steve TN 15 View Post

Regards Neil
    Hi Steve,
    Could you please elaborate on "shop loss bags" for me? I think I need to buy something?

Thanks Neil

p.s. sorry for hijacking your thread Ken!

I used spar varnish on the spars and it has so far flexed with the dings and not cracked, yes it skins over but that's why you buy "stop loss bags"[/QUOTE]

Never a worry Neil...and why would I admit that I looked it up too? I vaguely remembered them, and will order some soon!

Ken

[QUOTE=neil.henderson;6547038]Hi Steve,
    Could you please elaborate on "shop loss bags" for me? I think I need to buy something?

Neil, this is an Aus distributor for them but I got them from USA as nobody here stocked the funnel and it makes life much easier as it seals to the neck of the bag and makes it a much less messy process. Each bag holds a bit less than a litre and they have write on panels and are reusable.

https://www.fiddesaustralia.com/prod...s-bags-4-pack/

This is where I got mine from, with funnel. https://duckworks.com/stop-loss-bags/
    Last edited by Steve TN 15; 10-24-2021 at 08:01 PM.