Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 23

Thread: Tammie Norrie comes to Coos Bay

Default Re: Tammie Norrie comes to Coos Bay

42676620774_88d39df248_z.jpg28523947687_74e93de9d8_z.jpg43345439682_0fa2482584_z.jpg28523934397_2dc3cfaee4_z.jpgStem pieces laid out with pattern ready to route with the flush trim bit. When trim is complete, overlapping joints will be plenty off-set for strength. Glue-up next.

43753482982_2c3fcb1e0c_z.jpgGlue-up finished. Some final shaping to be done with belt sander. I will have to be careful not to sand too deeply, probably should have left the final two layers a tad more oversized, but I think if I'm careful we'll be fine. That final shaping will have to wait till after vacation, but more baby steps!

44118017742_a25105a990_z.jpgFinished sanding the inner stem. Very pleased with the resulting match to the full size pattern. Just trying to color inside the lines!
    Summertime is sure a tough time to find boat-building time! Another vacation next week, though it's possible that there may be a bit of time towards the end of the week. The plan is to rip 1/8" strips of white oak for laminating the outer stem. I will use the inner stem as a "mold" to clamp to, so that my errors will match! Once that is done I can attach the inner stem to the molds and align the keelson for glue-up. (Somebody needs to clean up that bench before something expensive gets spilled! Funny how you don't see stuff till you post the pictures.)

30380164928_edf3509441_m.jpg44198239872_b692f3ab4d_m.jpgThis is what I stumbled across today at a garage sale. Though a little hard to see from the pics, there are 5 pieces. All 8', three 2"x10", and two 2" x 13". Straight-grained fir with 2 knots in the whole bunch. As pretty wood as I've seen. At $50.00, I felt like I should be careful to throw the gun in the river. I'm thinking keel, skeg, and possibly floorboards, re-sawn to 1". Time will tell, but I couldn't pass it up.
    Last edited by KenStocker; 08-25-2018 at 09:59 PM.

Getting ready to glue up my outer stem out of white oak strips. Has anyone had any problems using West Systems epoxy, which I already have, without having to resort to buying G-flex? Just trying to save a few bucks if there's no danger of it falling off of the boat! Or would I be better served returning that $136.00 white oak board and using the above Douglas Fir? Kinda seems like it would be much easier to avoid the "problems" with WO and epoxy, when the DF would be plenty hard enough and glue better. Thoughts?

Ken
    Last edited by KenStocker; 09-01-2018 at 10:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by KenStocker View Post
    30380164928_edf3509441_m.jpg44198239872_b692f3ab4d_m.jpgThis is what I stumbled across today at a garage sale. Though a little hard to see from the pics, there are 5 pieces. All 8', three 2"x10", and two 2" x 13". Straight-grained fir with 2 knots in the whole bunch. As pretty wood as I've seen. At $50.00, I felt like I should be careful to throw the gun in the river. I'm thinking keel, skeg, and possibly floorboards, re-sawn to 1". Time will tell, but I couldn't pass it up.
    Great buying Ken I am just drooling looking at those planks. Those would serve me well building a gaff mast for my Wee Barkie
    I would stick with the oak although I can’t comment on the epoxy.
    The fir would be great for the skeg and outer keel,although I would recommend finishing of the keel and skeg with a thin strip of hardwood 1/4”- 3/8” for abrasion resistance ,unless you are planning on a full length bronze strip from skeg to stem. My Tammie has an outer keel and skeg made from Oregon and it is looking fuzzy from sand abrasion.

Floorboards I would keep lighter probably 3/8” maximum 1/2 “.
    Happy Building.

Quote Originally Posted by auscruisertom View Post
    Great buying Ken I am just drooling looking at those planks. Those would serve me well building a gaff mast for my Wee Barkie
    I would stick with the oak although I can’t comment on the epoxy.
    The fir would be great for the skeg and outer keel,although I would recommend finishing of the keel and skeg with a thin strip of hardwood 1/4”- 3/8” for abrasion resistance ,unless you are planning on a full length bronze strip from skeg to stem. My Tammie has an outer keel and skeg made from Oregon and it is looking fuzzy from sand abrasion.

Floorboards I would keep lighter probably 3/8” maximum 1/2 “.
    Happy Building.
    Thanks for your input Tom. Yesterday I bailed and returned the oak. The gag reflex from spending $134.90 for one board was just more than I could stand. It seemed, as they say, a good idea at the time. But with five times that much wood for virtually 1/3 of the price, and the endless debate about epoxy and oak, I just decided to skip all of that and use the fir. As you mentioned, I will probably finish it with either hardwood or bronze strip. At 1-7/8" I can just straight rip it to 1/8" strips and epoxy at will.(1-3/8" finished width required.)I will also save money using the West Systems 105/205 epoxy I have on hand without having to buy more in the form of G-flex, which seems to be the recommended epoxy for oak. All in all it allows me to move forward with what I already have on hand instead of waiting. No, I'm not good at waiting!

Thanks for your input Tom. Yesterday I bailed and returned the oak. The gag reflex from spending $134.90 for one board was just more than I could stand. It seemed, as they say, a good idea at the time. But with five times that much wood for virtually 1/3 of the price, and the endless debate about epoxy and oak, I just decided to skip all of that and use the fir. As you mentioned, I will probably finish it with either hardwood or bronze strip. At 1-7/8" I can just straight rip it to 1/8" strips and epoxy at will.(1-3/8" finished width required.)I will also save money using the West Systems 105/205 epoxy I have on hand without having to buy more in the form of G-flex, which seems to be the recommended epoxy for oak. All in all it allows me to move forward with what I already have on hand instead of waiting. No, I'm not good at waiting!
    I hear what your saying about cost ,and since boat building is a labour of love it’s always good to keep the costs down wherever possible. Just as it is beneficial to keep the weight down in boat building.

My Tammie restoration will be done on a tight budget ,one litre pack of epoxy, two litres of marine paint for the outside hull, left over white oil paint from the big boat and an assortment of left over and bartered timber and ply to finish her of.

I stripped one of those nice fir boards(naked board alert. Sorry. Kinda.)into 1/8" pieces to glue up the outer stem. Pretty nice stuff, and some left over even from the first board. Next up is a little steam bending, which I
    have always thought would be fun.

29521001957_4c54f02f42_m (1).jpg

Ken

I finally got a little time to work on the outer stem, my first try at bending boards. I must admit my first attempt was not well thought out. I stacked the strips, wrapped them in a towel and poured hot water on them. Then as a way to hopefully keep in the "steam", put a large plastic bag over them. Note to self...strips that are stacked remain dry when you unstack them. Genius alert. Started over laying out the strips so that they all got in hot water, so to speak. Better results! I genuinely enjoyed doing something new, and will now 44676076962_a546d163c5_m.jpg29789130877_d39749243a_m.jpg44725525931_9332f8f1c1_m.jpg leave them till next weekend, when I hope to be able to glue them up.

43040021530_660057ea24_m.jpg43040013970_64fd74efb6_m.jpg43040017810_e52d91be87_m.jpgAfter dry clamping the strips, it was time to actually glue it up. I''m not going to lie...pretty nervous to take the plunge! Looks to me like it all went well, I'll let you know when the clamps come off!

Clamps are off, and the two stems came apart just like they were supposed to. Will wonders never cease! Applied the clamp to avoid any spring-back till I am ready for the outer stem...probably not for a considerable time now. I'll clean up both stems, then get ready to clamp the inner stem in place and start working on fitting the keelson. 43966011725_bb7c9fea10_m.jpg

Looking good Ken!
    God is great, beer is good and people are crazy.

Billy Currington

O.K., I'm not going to lie. I panicked, just a little. I made a mistake by cutting the inner stem off to where it matched up to the first frame. When I got ready to plane it down to final width, (about 1/8"), I thought it would be prudent to start at the other end. When I made the first pass, I chipped out the last 1 1/2". (Cue the wide eyes, open mouth, clenched teeth, you get the picture!)I was picturing scarfing in a piece, throwing something, whatever. My main concern was that there wouldn't be enough glue surface between the stem and the keelson. When I finally paused to take a breath, I realized it wasn't that bad. The keelson will extend out to cover about 10 1/2" of the stem. (Length of scarf.)The chip will be under the bow seats, so not visible from the inside. Cautiously optimistic.
    43166894140_4ff1ce4ed0_m (1).jpg43166897790_6522c9b8ed_m (1).jpg

You might want to round over the inner corners of the stem with a router (or spokeshave) anyway, so even less of that tear-out will be there. You could even (carefully) round and taper that end of the stem so your mistake is gone!

Good luck. Following with interest.

Mike
    "near it, a small whale-boat, painted red and blue, the delight of the king's old age."

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon1 View Post
    You might want to round over the inner corners of the stem with a router (or spokeshave) anyway, so even less of that tear-out will be there. You could even (carefully) round and taper that end of the stem so your mistake is gone!

Good luck. Following with interest.

Mike
    Great thought Mike. Especially the word "carefully"! What really calmed me down was to hold the stem up next to the keelson, which is dry-clamped, and see how much glue surface there really is. It's just that initial panic and thinking I'd gone from 1 5/8" width to 1 1/8" ish, total glue surface. Wasted all that panic, which I may need later! Fortunately figured it out before I could even walk over to the moaning chair.

Thanks for following, always grateful for the input!
    Ken

Back in post #64 I showed the tear-out on the top of the transom, when I allowed the router to bite too deeply. I decided to play with this a bit, as I can always take the plunge and cut off the top 4" or so and glue on another piece. But first I tried to add some sawdust to epoxy, with the result that I think looks like an agate, but not much like mahogany. So I decided to play with bending some walnut that I had on hand. I was not overly optimistic, partially because it is pretty hard, partly because it's a pretty severe bend at the ends, and honestly because of my limited(read zero)experience with bending any wood. But I thought it would be fun to try, and if it worked would look nice as a trim piece with that pleasing curve. So far...well, judge for yourselves.

45019309691_6f65ca1338_m.jpg31146116868_5433b6f802_m.jpg30082163427_450bd31d69_m.jpg44970412092_af426ef9af_m.jpg

45202586632_bdbe349150_m.jpgOr not. With only 1/8" to go, I got this overnight. Since it costs me nothing, I may try to epoxy this with a clamp, and when it cures see if I can steam bend the last few inches to close up that 1/8". So close, yet so far... What do you think?

stick the ends in a pot of boiling water and then clamp it over a couple of nights till dry. might close up that gap?

jim

I panicked, just a little. I made a mistake by cutting the inner stem off to where it matched up to the first frame.
    The hull of my Alaska contains many mistakes. Most of them will only ever be noticed by me.

And I myself have gotten pretty good at ignoring them!

Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

www.tompamperin.com

Quote Originally Posted by MADOC1 View Post
    stick the ends in a pot of boiling water and then clamp it over a couple of nights till dry. might close up that gap?

jim
    That's what I have been doing, slowly for a few weeks. It's just that the last time that I did, it started to split a little. I am afraid that I will completely split that last bit. Just wondering if I epoxy where it's weak, will the rest of it bend successfully?

Ken