Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 34

Thread: Tammie Norrie comes to Coos Bay

Default Re: Tammie Norrie comes to Coos Bay

Beautiful! I just caught up with your thread and I gotta admit some green jealousy

Regkarding cleats I like the idea of having a couple of stern cleats ,the bow I use the stem head rather like a Sampson post.The stern cleats should be relatively low aspect and around 4 long suitable for 3/8 8mm line.
    The lug rig might have two cleats mine are smaller around 3 (depending on planned halyard size) one for the halyard another for a down haul my halyards are around 5mm . Then you may also require another or two similar sized cleats for your reefing. Cheers Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh MacD View Post
    Beautiful! I just caught up with your thread and I gotta admit some green jealousy
    Trust me, not much to be green about yet! But thanks! I'm just so enjoying the process...slow to be sure, but loving every step of the way. Thanks for following, always fun to share.

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by auscruisertom View Post
    Regkarding cleats I like the idea of having a couple of stern cleats ,the bow I use the stem head rather like a Sampson post.The stern cleats should be relatively low aspect and around 4” long suitable for 3/8” 8mm line.
    The lug rig might have two cleats mine are smaller around 3” (depending on planned halyard size) one for the halyard another for a down haul my halyards are around 5mm . Then you may also require another or two similar sized cleats for your reefing. Cheers Tom
    Thanks Tom, I appreciate the information. Obviously this is a bit of extra, but I like having a bit of accessories that I can work on, especially when I have the wood to utilize for free. Something I can dabble with in the cracks of my time.

Ken

"You can never have too many clamps" only holds true if you have somewhere to put them. Ran across a picture of this, and it is perfect. Down and dirty, simple to build, and all of my clamps in one spot. Even my "clothespin" clamps with their wedges will stack nicely on the bottom. I like!
    Ken

33146879958_1dd55eb645_m.jpg40057479373_5aec0bc411_m.jpg

Well Ken, I'm now watching your every move..............

For those who don't know, I've just finished a TN 15

You're off to a nice start.

You mentioned scarfing the gunwales and I also think I read you have Iain Oughtreds book which covers this and even tells you which way to orient the scarf. I didn't have to do this as my timber (Hoop pine) was long enough but I didn't rely on clamps to hold all those blocks in place, epoxy is like grease and allows things to move so screw or dowel everything! There's nothing worse than taking the time to shape 5 pieces of wood so they fit together perfectly then epoxying them together only to come out the next day and find they've moved a tad while the epoxy cured! Having said that the planks are ok along their length because you clamp them to each mold without epoxy grease between.

You also mentioned using the inwale spaces for tie off points, that is the best reason for having them apart from the aesthetics, I have a 6mtr painter on the stem head so I can shove the boat off the trailer and haul it ashore without getting wet but when alongside a jetty I run it back through the inwale near the forward thwart to use as a mooring line while another line is made off further aft and is long enough to cross the boat, through the inwale and to the jetty so with two lines I can tie off on either side.

I don't know about screwing or copper nailing the garboards because they are sandwiched between the keelson and the keel so all I did was clamp them along their length and screw to the transom and right through the hard twist at the bow, so the first screw was a bit forward of the 1st mold. Do it by feel, you'll see where you need them.

Every screw I used is silicone bronze, don't touch anything else.

Iains book has you complete the planking before adding the keel and skeg but I chose to do this after the garboards because the lands have to be planed flat and there's a bit of fiddling to get it right and I figured that was much easier to do without the rest of the boat in the way.

You will learn a lot about epoxy as you go as I did, I used an Australian product called Bote Cote which doesn't stink and cleans up with vinegar, great stuff. I don't know about west systems but I found there was a period when I could smooth the epoxy that squeezed out of the joint into a fillet with my finger wet with alcohol, in my case about an hour after clamping. Also about 12 hours after clamping I could easily remove excess just by running a sharp chisel through it (the epoxy has a good hold at this point but it still slightly soft) Hopefully your epoxy will give the same opportunity.

As for interior finish I used Deks Olje No 1 as it is brush on wipe off and easily reapplied when required. I was going to go over that with No2 (gloss) but liked the easy care mat finish.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Steve TN 15; 02-13-2019 at 09:04 PM.

Thanks Steve, appreciate all of your thoughts. You even commented on some questions I had forgotten I asked! I had wondered about the keel and skeg. I have seen it done both ways, and can sure see why it's easier while you can still stand between the forms. Probably my back would prefer not playing the pretzel as well. I would also think it's much easier to screw through the keel into the skeg, especially since my strong-back is solid ply over channel iron. Not much access once the planks are further along, so I'm glad you mentioned this! I'm expecting one of those 2" x 10" pieces of Douglas Fir to do nicely for the skeg...straight grained lovely stuff. Probably use any remaining strips for the keel pieces around the centerboard slot. Still can't believe I scored five of those at a garage sale for $50. Told a friend I felt like I should throw the gun in the river, but then apologized for saying that to an Oregon State Trooper.

Ken, happy to help but I hate you for that timber you're getting so cheap.

I bought mahogany for the thwart knees and floor boards (by the way these should be no more than 12mm / half inch thick or they won't curve to the floors) and that cost $485 AUD and the sitka spruce for mast and spars was $560 but I had enough left over for the boat hook and still some to play with.

I'd agree with the Douglas fir, I think we call that oregon, for the skeg etc. All my timber is hoop pine inside and out. It's like radiata pine but straight and clear and it's a bit soft so hard to sand but it came up well.
    Last edited by Steve TN 15; 02-16-2019 at 08:11 PM.

I had wondered how well the keelson would hold the bend, or conversely how much spring-back there would be. When I finally took off the ratchet strap, there was virtually no spring-back. So I spent all of 20 minutes beveling the transom to get a nice land for the keelson. I am ready for the "point of no return". Up to this point nothing was a permanent part of the boat. As soon as I add some epoxy, the stem, keelson, and transom will all be just that, a permanent backbone that will, for better or worse, be the foundation to build upon. All I need is either warmer weather or a space heater, leaning toward a heater. Gone the next two weekends, so hurry up and wait!

46248785895_7938569749_m.jpg47162844661_4074715b40_m.jpg

I know a bloke who built a 40ft cruiser in his front yard near Bathurst and it goes below freezing point there quite often during winter, he set up a box with a couple of heat lamps in it to keep the epoxy warm so it would mix etc. Once on the boat it was at atmospheric temperature, the boat has been to Hobart and back since launch.

Waiting on suitable temperatures can be frustrating. The only place in my shop I can afford to heat is the bathroom, so it becomes the epoxy/varnish/finishing room. It's fairly large so I can get a table in there and handle up to a 6' long part....but not a Tammie Norrie

Waiting on suitable temperatures can be frustrating. The only place in my shop I can afford to heat is the bathroom, so it becomes the epoxy/varnish/finishing room. It's fairly large so I can get a table in there and handle up to a 6' long part....but not a Tammie Norrie
    All of that and you're still alive to tell the tale! The irony is that Coos Bay is one of the most moderate climates you can imagine. But right now it's 47, at 4:30 pm, while this morning I slipped on the ice on my front stairs and fell. Not really normal for us. I'm gone for the next two weekends, so hopefully we'll be back to more average temps for us by then and I won't have to worry about when I do it. Otherwise, I'll have to figure out how to get the 13'6" TN into my 4' downstairs bathroom!

Ken

It occurred to me today that the date I received my Tammie Norrie kit was 3-8-18, incredibly, a year ago. While my first reaction was that I couldn't believe I wasn't further along, I had to stop and take a realistic look at where I am.
    -inner stem and outer stem done
    -keelson cut, center board slot cut.
    -transom done, including cut to shape, glued together inner mahogany and outer sapelle ply, and the time consuming bending of walnut to cover the gouged top.
    -keelson is ready to glue to the stem and transom, as soon as the brackets are in place, attaching the keelson to the forms.

All in all I am on track to begin planking in the foreseeable future, and I am happy with both the progress and the ability I am developing to enjoy the process, not rushing just to "get done".

Ken

I'd be pleased with that progress, too! And now that the weather is moderating a bit things can proceed a bit faster...spare time permitting

Good on you Ken, you're not on the clock with this, there's no boss standing over you, one step at a time and enjoy it.

I'd be pleased with that progress, too! And now that the weather is moderating a bit things can proceed a bit faster...spare time permitting
    Thanks Hugh...indeed you know the truth of that "weather moderating" thing! I'm sure the rest of the country is rolling their eyes at us being completely shut down by a little bit of snow, but when you're used to zero, it doesn't take much. I'm sure you got more than us on the coast. Never thought I'd be anxious to get the rain back!

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Steve TN 15 View Post
    Good on you Ken, you're not on the clock with this, there's no boss standing over you, one step at a time and enjoy it.
    Indeed Steve! Thanks for the encouragement!

Ken
    Last edited by KenStocker; 03-14-2019 at 09:09 PM.

Attached the L-brackets to the keelson and forms today, allowing me to remove the clamps in preparation for faring the keelson to receive the garboard planks. Also got the transom attached to the forms. As soon as I get an hour free, (hopefully tomorrow!) I am ready to epoxy the stem and the transom to the keelson. Can't wait! 46675072394_150a922409_m.jpg47398286111_cb4339838d_m.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by KenStocker; 03-17-2019 at 01:13 AM.

sail17.jpg
    Ken, I'm not trying to hijack your thread, rather give you a visual - encouragement, I sailed Miss Caroline last weekend, the motor is down because I forgot to lift it

Never a hijack Steve, love seeing Miss Caroline! Fairly easy to sail solo? Go ahead...inspire me!

Well Ken I learned a lot.

The wind was fluky, all over the place, so that made it hard to settle into a line and see what I could do to improve the set of the sails however it did make me think about what I was doing and on several occasions a strong gust on a beam reach nearly tipped me out but I was able to let the main sheet run to spill the wind from the sail. I had to deal with more lines than you will and got a bit tangled once or twice so I've realised I must be very methodical with all aspects of the rig before setting out, part of that is to relocate the halyards from the aft end of the centre board case (I put them there for ease of reach if I had to reef the sail) to the forward end where they are less in the way because there was excess line on the floor and the cleats tend to catch any line moving past them. The lesson - keep the working area as spartan and tidy as possible.
    Also you really need a third hand on the tiller at times, I've now made one which is called a Huntington or Huntinford tiller tamer, pic below.

Having said all that the sailing itself was fairly easy, I pointed the boat where I wanted it to go and felt the tension in the sail through the main sheet. Note:- never tie off the main sheet unless it's really calm and stable. Holding it in your hand gives constant feedback as to how well the sail is pulling and as above you can let it run when hit by a gust of wind on your beam so you don't tip over.

I've got some learning to do as far as the jib goes but that will just improve performance, It's nice and easy to sail without much skill.

The central part of this goes on the underside of the tiller with the cross line made off in the inwales either side of the boat where the tiller crosses the wale when turned. You can google it for more detail.

helm-impeder01.jpg

Steve, that's a beautiful job you did on Miss Caroline. I thought seriously about a gaff sloop rig when building my TN, but in the end went with an unstayed lug. That's one of the really nice things about this boat; there's enough options that you can really make the boat suit your needs and desires.
    And I agree - never cleat off the main sheet.
    Al

Hey Ken, I am wondering if you plan to leave those "L" brackets in place while building and if so, how will you remove them once the planking is finished considering you have a ply sheet under the boat?

I screwed "eye" screws into the keelson and tied them down to the build frame using the Spanish windlass technique to get them nice and tight. This made it easy to just reach in with a knife and cut the ties to free the boat from the stand.

Hey Ken, I am wondering if you plan to leave those "L" brackets in place while building and if so, how will you remove them once the planking is finished considering you have a ply sheet under the boat?

I screwed "eye" screws into the keelson and tied them down to the build frame using the Spanish windlass technique to get them nice and tight. This made it easy to just reach in with a knife and cut the ties to free the boat from the stand.
    The idea came from Geoff Kerr, building the Caledonia Yawl video on OCH, though admittedly he had the open building frame. but I am fairly sure that I will be able to unscrew the forms from the building frame, rather than from the keelson, and then when the boat is flipped, unscrew the forms from the keelson. (This would also give rigidity to the boat while it's turned.) Am I wrong in this? I'm open to suggestions!

Ken

So you plan to right the boat with all the forms in it?

If you have many hands that should be doable. My son and I righted mine with three solid MDF molds in it and had no trouble doing so.

You'll want to find a way to temporarily attach the molds at the wales before righting her though because if they move they could create stress points in the hull while you are moving it. To secure my three molds I used ratchet straps around the hull and through holes in the molds.

So you plan to right the boat with all the forms in it?

If you have many hands that should be doable. My son and I righted mine with three solid MDF molds in it and had no trouble doing so.

You'll want to find a way to temporarily attach the molds at the wales before righting her though because if they move they could create stress points in the hull while you are moving it. To secure my three molds I used ratchet straps around the hull and through holes in the molds.
    That's my plan at this point. Either that or I'll be in a world of hurt and have to cut the building form apart in little pieces...which would seem a tad problematic. But thanks for thinking ahead for me, the extra set of experienced eyes is invaluable!
    Ken
    Last edited by KenStocker; 03-19-2019 at 06:03 AM.