Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tammie Norrie comes to Coos Bay

Default Re: Tammie Norrie comes to Coos Bay

Quote Originally Posted by KenStocker View Post
    What would you use western red for? I have a bunch available for free,(air dried at that!) but had thought it was too soft, and wouldn't hold screws enough to be of much use.
    Lots of marine uses. Planking for traditionally built clinker boats, for instance. Most of the solid stock in the hull of a Goat Island Skiff is spec'd as WRC... for adding lightness.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Quote Originally Posted by David G View Post
    Wipe on/wipe off varnish is, essentially, varnish with oils and solvents added so it is applicable with a rag. Have you ever seen 'Daly's Pro-Fin'? It's an interior version of the product. Daly's also makes a product that's at the low end of the solids spectrum (more oil & solvents, less varnish) called 'Seafin Teak Oil'. It's a great product, just too slow to build a film, if a film is what you're after. A marine version of wipe-on varnish could be constructed with the Seafin product - to which you added spar varnish to suit. Daly's own "SuperSpar"... or any of the standard tung oil & phenolic formulations: Interlux #96; Epifanes; McCloskey's Man'O War; Z-Spar Flagship; etc. Or... you can simply use the Seafin Teak Oil. If used regularly, it'll hold up just fine.

Skip the Watco - it has no UV additives. Urethane resins are very tough, but not as resilient for application where wood might move as phenolic resin formulations.
    I see you have included "McCloskey Man o' War" as a type of "tung oil & phenolic formulation" of varnish. Can you provide any documentation for that?

I have been researching marine spar varnishes for a pair of sassafras oars and also gunwales, transom, and deck on Steve Redmond's Whisp. Here in the middle of USA one of the few non-urethane marine varnishes which I can buy locally is McCloskey Man o' War 7509 Gloss. Valspar's website links to a product sheet for 7509 (includes 7505 and 7507) - and tung oil is NOT listed as an ingredient. It says "Modified Alkyd Resins" 51% solids by weight, but nothing about what type of oil might be in it.

McCloskey also makes two other series of Man o War varnish - the 6505/6507/6509, which are the "voc" versions. Product sheet shows "Modified Alkyd Resins" 63% solids by weight. And the 6535/6537/6539 series which do have "Phenolic Mod. Resin" and 51% solids by weight; oil not specified. By the way, the McCloskey cans are identical except for the product number on the front.

For those who have never worked with sassafras, it's harder than spruce, but quite a bit softer than ash. I expect the relatively soft sassafras oars and outwwales to get banged around some, so I want a flexible varnish. So I'm trying to decide if it's worth to trouble to order McCloskey 6539, Interlux 96, Epifanes, Z-Spar Flagship, etc. - or is the McCloskey 7509 close enough, even if it turns out not to be tung / phenolic based ?

I should add that the Whisp skiff is a car topper, and both the skiff and the oars will be stored under cover when not in use, so UV protection is not a big concern.
    Last edited by runswithsizzers; 01-31-2018 at 06:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by runswithsizzers View Post
    I see you have included "McCloskey Man o' War" as a type of "tung oil & phenolic formulation" of varnish. Can you provide any documentation for that?

I have been researching marine spar varnishes for a pair of sassafras oars and also gunwales, transom, and deck on Steve Redmond's Whisp. Here in the middle of USA one of the few non-urethane marine varnishes which I can buy locally is McCloskey Man o' War 7509 Gloss. Valspar's website links to a product sheet for 7509 (includes 7505 and 7507) - and tung oil is NOT listed as an ingredient. It says "Modified Alkyd Resins" 51% solids by weight, but nothing about what type of oil might be in it.

McCloskey also makes two other series of Man o War varnish - the 6505/6507/6509, which are the "voc" versions. Product sheet shows "Modified Alkyd Resins" 63% solids by weight. And the 6535/6537/6539 series which do have "Phenolic Mod. Resin" and 51% solids by weight; oil not specified. By the way, the McCloskey cans are identical except for the product number on the front.

For those who have never worked with sassafras, it's harder than spruce, but quite a bit softer than ash. I expect the relatively soft sassafras oars and outwwales to get banged around some, so I want a flexible varnish. So I'm trying to decide if it's worth to trouble to order McCloskey 6539, Interlux 96, Epifanes, Z-Spar Flagship, etc. - or is the McCloskey 7509 close enough, even if it turns out not to be tung / phenolic based ?

I should add that the Whisp skiff is a car topper, and both the skiff and the oars will be stored under cover when not in use, so UV protection is not a big concern.
    Don't get it secondhand from some dude on the internet (me). Call them directly, ask for tech services, and get your questions answered straight from the source.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Quote Originally Posted by David G View Post
    Don't get it secondhand from some dude on the internet (me). Call them directly, ask for tech services, and get your questions answered straight from the source.
    Good point! I was hoping maybe you had seen some official mfg information that I haven't.

I used Man o War Spar varnish on a yellow pine trestle table I made 40 years ago and I am amazed at how well the varnish has held up. But that table has been kept indoors, and who knows, maybe the formula has changed since then ?

I'll call the mfg tomorrow and see what they have to say.

Speaking of the Tammie Norrie coming to Coos Bay, , it is actually now a reality! On Monday I ordered the kit from Hewes & Company. In 3 to 4 weeks, my dream of building my own boat will commence! I plan on savoring every moment. Ironically, I have done a lot of woodworking, but mostly with oak, or if it was to be painted, with hemlock, alder, or whatever was most inexpensive. So part of my anticipation is to work with woods that I have never used, such as mahogany, Port Orford Cedar, etc. (Maybe Walnut for some cleats and blocks?) Also to use more traditional tools, such as planes and chisels, instead of power tools. Should be fun, and I'm also looking forward to sharing the journey as I go.

Looking forward to seeing the boat go together!
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

Thanks for the encouragement Rich, me too!

Yeah... me too.

Is it done yet? Yanno... the Depoe Bay Wooden Boat Show is in April. You could show her off there. Next great opportunity would be Toledo in August.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

April David? What makes you think it would take so long? Although it's somewhat like telling my wife I'd have her table finished by Christmas...I just didn't specify which year! You'll just have to make sure those boat shows keep happening for the foreseeable future. BTW, what weekend in April? (Seriously speaking just for fun!)

38845524830_97f391696a_z.jpg38845532310_ffe8346d78_z.jpg
    And so it begins...the kit has arrived. All that remains is to do a little practice epoxy work.

38871431770_33537972ef_z.jpg25810856927_4999d33cea_m.jpg
    Starting by making a boat hook. Having never worked with epoxy, I thought this would be a way to practice before doing something more critical, like maybe scarfing planks! It would seem to me that having a boat hook fall apart might be preferable to having the transom fall off, but maybe that's just me...

(sorry for the huge pics, still learning to post.)

I love the design of Tammie Norrie. Jumping between a lot of design I want to build, I keep landing on Tammie norrie, but if I build it, it will be solid wood and copper. Ken could you do me a favour? If i would use the patterns for the planking, What do you think will be the widest board I need? Do you scarf two boards together to get full lengt in your kit?

Follow with interest

Fred

Quote Originally Posted by Fredostli View Post
    I love the design of Tammie Norrie. Jumping between a lot of design I want to build, I keep landing on Tammie norrie, but if I build it, it will be solid wood and copper. Ken could you do me a favour? If i would use the patterns for the planking, What do you think will be the widest board I need? Do you scarf two boards together to get full lengt in your kit?

Follow with interest

Fred
    The planks with the kit are pre-scarfed for length. There are also pre-drilled holes through which to put nails. String around those nails allows you to align the planks correctly. So...till I do that I can't tell you exactly how wide with the curvature of the plank. But the widest plank is 8", and so I would imagine 12" would suffice. I would imagine you could contact the designer (Oughtred) to get a more accurate measurement.
    Hope you get to build her, just love her lines!
    Ken

Hi

Hi Fredostli you wont be sorry with your choice of vessel, this was my first attempt, but is still the prettiest shape I
    have ever seen.

Keen2build
    TrevTrevorNoysAlbertHenry2a_small.jpgTrevorNoysAlbertHenrya_small.jpg)

When I first saw this thread I thought it was about a Junk Rigged yacht named Tammie Norie

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCq7...NoV7WUrLW7ud4w
    The definition of stupid has got to be the belief that more guns will negate the bloodshed done with guns.

40551195494_0c868d1ce7_o.jpgNot a great pic, but found this 14' piece of Port Orford cedar, straight grained and with only one little knot that will trim off for final keelson width. Feeling pretty lucky!
    Last edited by KenStocker; 04-05-2018 at 09:39 PM.

start of oars.jpgMock-up of oar shafts. You can see the piece on the right has a knot that will not but workable. Hard to find 9' plus straight grained pieces. Just keep checking back in to find new stock, as I'm not in a hurry with these. Fun to get a picture of how it will look though. Another four pieces on each side for the blades will complete the look I'm after.

First plank scarf.jpgWith much trepidation, and not a little nerves, scarfed together my first two planks. Hopefully I aligned the planks correctly, though the process does seem pretty straight-forward. Onward and upward!

Ken, I'm not for sure what the wood is on the outside of your mock up oar shafts, but looks like doug fir, perhaps. I found very straight-grained doug fir virtually knot free at Cross-Cut off Hwy 30 in Portland. I got a couple 11 footers (for boom and yard) and a 14 footer (for Mast). I know that's a drive from Coos Bay, but just for reference in case you can't find it closer (I'd call ahead).

Quote Originally Posted by garyb View Post
    Ken, I'm not for sure what the wood is on the outside of your mock up oar shafts, but looks like doug fir, perhaps. I found very straight-grained doug fir virtually knot free at Cross-Cut off Hwy 30 in Portland. I got a couple 11 footers (for boom and yard) and a 14 footer (for Mast). I know that's a drive from Coos Bay, but just for reference in case you can't find it closer (I'd call ahead).
    It is doug fir, and I did find it here at L & L Lumber in Coos Bay. He said he deals with a couple of mills locally, and is trying to locate some now. Since it is for the oars, there's no hurry, and I'll wait to see what comes up. But thanks, I appreciate the info, even for future reference. Cross-Cut in Springfield is also an option, but they are not open on weekends which makes it tough with my schedule. But my daughter does live in White Salmon WA., (across the Columbia from Hood River)so we run right by there quite frequently. Are they open Saturdays? Again, thanks for the feedback

26639903307_6e6614a464_z.jpg40616714575_7ce474e8f6_z.jpgTook the clamps off of the first two planks. The acid test(called that because you should have Tums on hand?)was laying one plank on top of the other. If I did a good job of aligning the planks, they should mirror each other for port and starboard sides. Very pleased with the results...put the Tums away.

Quote Originally Posted by KenStocker View Post
    It is doug fir, and I did find it here at L & L Lumber in Coos Bay. He said he deals with a couple of mills locally, and is trying to locate some now. Since it is for the oars, there's no hurry, and I'll wait to see what comes up. But thanks, I appreciate the info, even for future reference. Cross-Cut in Springfield is also an option, but they are not open on weekends which makes it tough with my schedule. But my daughter does live in White Salmon WA., (across the Columbia from Hood River)so we run right by there quite frequently. Are they open Saturdays? Again, thanks for the feedback
    Yes, Cross-cut (the one near Portland) is open Saturdays. (p.s. - I am not affiliated with them in any way. I got Sapele, Okoume, Doug Fir and Yellow Alaska cedar there. Used Parr for Red Western Cedar, and Rockler for the small amount of maple I used.)

Thanks,garyb always good to have another source. I'll wait and see what the local guy can come up with, but nice to have a plan B.