Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 101920

Thread: Tammie Norrie comes to Coos Bay

Default Re: Tammie Norrie comes to Coos Bay

At the risk of being the guy that asks for advice and then ignores it...My main concern with being too aggressive with a saw is leaving scratches on the sheer where the 'wale "used to be". Same thing with trying to scarf on top/plane off of the bottom. Especially when it's only sitting 1/8th" below the top of the sheer, which I think you might be able to see better in this pic. (It's so hard to capture in pics.)
    52299885653_27b4d73fe6_w.jpg

And it's only about the last 12-14" from the transom. So I don't want to pop the whole thing off, just loosen the last foot or so and nudge it up.
    And yes Neil, I do want to round it over. Just wanted to wait till I sanded the 'wale and top of the sheer so that I had a smooth surface, and of course couln't sand that till I dealt with this, so...hurry up and wait!

Ken
    When the desire to learn is greater than the desire to win, the journey becomes the prize.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1902 View Post
    Perfect Ken.
    Eric Hvalsoe used the same material for toggles in his article about removable floorboards in the February '22 issue of Small Boats magazine.
    They are low profile enough not to catch to much, which also avoids cutting recesses into the sole boards.

Cheers,
    Mike.
    just now finishing my removable floorboards. Been trying to come up with a plan to secure them. Thanks for the tip. I just read Ericís article. I think Iíll wind up with some variation of the toggle method.

Ken, do you have a shoulder plane and a sharp chisel because that's all you'd need to clean up the top of the 'wale for the scarf and if you used titebond 2 instead of epoxy you'd have a less noticeable glue line. The shoulder plane will also take care of the under side of the 'wale and being that shallow any imperfection left will not be seen anyway unless by a fish. Just mask the sheer strake to protect it from scratches as the plane rubs past.

The problem with heating it to break the epoxy joint is that the joint is wide and there's lot of wood in the way. You'll need an awful l lot of heat to undo the joint and that will cause its own problems. I'm no ply expert but it would possibly result in delamination of the ply.

I see what you're saying Steve. Have to see what I can do.

Ken
    When the desire to learn is greater than the desire to win, the journey becomes the prize.

Just another thought re trimming the bottom edge, don't take it off right across. You can just bevel the outside and rear edges of the 'wale so the outer edge is fair.

So I have been out of commission for quite some time. Issues with my back, and when I finally got an ablation,(basically cauterized the nerves in 6 places)I then had to catch up on all of the issues a homeowner typically has to deal with. So boat time has been minimal at best. My wife finally graciously said "you need to take a day for yourself". I fought her tooth and nail, but finally gave in. (said no man ever)

So I took Steve's advice, and it was so much easier than I had made it out to be in my mind. Titebond II did leave a minimal glue line, and a good rabet plane cleaned up the bottom side nicely.
    52511658135_131506772b_w.jpg
    52511450139_e2da78b907_w.jpg

Today I was finally able to attach the rub rail on one side. I have had these cut and even sanded for a couple of months, but couldn't get time to get them installed. Didn't have enough clamps (of course) to do both sides, so hopefully can get to the other side tomorrow. But it did leave me time to finish sanding the breasthook after cutting the notches for the gunwale. Slapped on a coat of thinned varnish, and love the result!
    52510934416_207ab1a794_w.jpg52511207214_1c9fcc6eab_w.jpg52511701428_b236f13fea_w.jpg

Mate, I'm so envious of the beautiful timbers you have to work with. That breast hook is just stunning!
    Those stop loss bags are a great asset too aren't they.

Sorry to hear about your back, Ken! But equally goad that you're back following your wife's advice Your boat, as usual, is looking great! Thanks for sharing with us

Quote Originally Posted by Steve TN 15 View Post
    Mate, I'm so envious of the beautiful timbers you have to work with. That breast hook is just stunning!
    Those stop loss bags are a great asset too aren't they.
    I know Steve, I love the wood too, and especially since so much of it was on hand/inherited. All of the walnut was from my late father-in-law. And the two pieces of that breasthook look to be bookmarked, and were not. And yes, I love the stop-loss bags. Never lose varnish to a can that doesn't seal well.

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh MacD View Post
    Sorry to hear about your back, Ken! But equally goad that you're back following your wife's advice Your boat, as usual, is looking great! Thanks for sharing with us
    Thanks Hugh, I keep telling everyone that it's great to be able to drop a pencil and be able to pick it up myself in less than 5 minutes! And thanks for the encouragement, keeps us all motivated!

Ken

Welcome back Ken. Cauterising nerves does not sound a like a hobby I will be taking up - hope it worked without too many side effects................

And your boat is looking great. A build always seems to make a major step when you get that gunwale glued on - I am maing a split gunwale for my CY build and had to resort to screws because I ran out of clamps to hold 27 blocks in place...............

Look forward to seeing your next post. Regards Neil

Some lovely rich colours in that breasthook, Ken.

I have some walnut saved in the workshop. It's from an old tree that died after standing for well over a hundred years in my parents back yard.
    Much of the heart wood had rotted away, but there are a few good lengths with colour that will be put to use one day.

Rub rails are looking good too.

Cheers,
    Mike.
    Focus on the effort not the outcome.

"Don't take life seriously. Either way, you won't make it out alive."

Quote Originally Posted by neil.henderson View Post
    Welcome back Ken. Cauterising nerves does not sound a like a hobby I will be taking up - hope it worked without too many side effects................

And your boat is looking great. A build always seems to make a major step when you get that gunwale glued on - I am maing a split gunwale for my CY build and had to resort to screws because I ran out of clamps to hold 27 blocks in place...............

Look forward to seeing your next post. Regards Neil
    Thanks Neil. I'm about ready to begin cutting those blocks, fifty-some if memory serves. They will be from walnut too, with the inwale of mahogany.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1902 View Post
    Some lovely rich colours in that breasthook, Ken.

I have some walnut saved in the workshop. It's from an old tree that died after standing for well over a hundred years in my parents back yard.
    Much of the heart wood had rotted away, but there are a few good lengths with colour that will be put to use one day.

Rub rails are looking good too.

Cheers,
    Mike.
    Always fun to re-purpose those pieces that have been gathering dust for awhile, isn't it? Makes me feel like I was actually smart to work around them for all that time, ha! Extra nice to have some nastolgia from your parent's place. Any plans for walnut pieces in your build's future?

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by KenStocker View Post

Always fun to re-purpose those pieces that have been gathering dust for awhile, isn't it? Makes me feel like I was actually smart to work around them for all that time, ha! Extra nice to have some nastolgia from your parent's place. Any plans for walnut pieces in your build's future?

Ken
    I hadn't planned on it Ken but now you've got me thinking that a piece of the old tree on Hector would be quite cool
    Focus on the effort not the outcome.

"Don't take life seriously. Either way, you won't make it out alive."

I like the idea of using it as a bit of contrast. At this point I'm thinking about cleats and blocks, both of which would be fun to try, and I think would set off well in walnut. With your skills, a piece of cake I'm sure! (Enjoying following along, the deck looks terrific and shows off the sheer nicely!)

Ken

Today's detour involved a surprise gift for my daughter's mantle for Christmas. Roughed these out yesterday and will finish soon. 52527840144_ed5910c68d_c.jpg

Then filleted the first couple of feet of the inside of the boat so that it would not be hidden by the breasthook.

Today got the inner stem cut off and shaped to my liking, then installed the breasthook. All in all a good weekend for progress.

52527835929_2917932e23_c.jpg52528035100_a1dab1e292_c.jpg52527094582_9771e3b416_c.jpg

Ken

Beautiful!

Really nice, Ken! Again, thanks for sharing!

Nice work Ken :-)