Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 31213

Thread: Tammie Norrie comes to Coos Bay

Default Re: Tammie Norrie comes to Coos Bay

Looks great! Congrats on reaching this point.

Thanks Bill. Plan on buying that right after I turn the boat so that I am able to get a little more precise measurements.

Ken
    When the desire to learn is greater than the desire to win, the journey becomes the prize.

Quote Originally Posted by Schuit06 View Post
    Looks great! Congrats on reaching this point.
    Thanks, it is quite gratifying to be on the brink of this milestone. Vacation in a week, so hopefully will be completely ready by the end of that to do the turn and maybe even a little of the interior cleanup, at least get started. I anticipate that being the really fun part, (the interior, not the epoxy clean-up!)as I move on to the parts that will be so visible.

Ken
    When the desire to learn is greater than the desire to win, the journey becomes the prize.

Well, it's the end of that week vacation, and things always crop up. I'm not as far as I hoped to be, but happy with what I could accomplish. (Putting in 4 windows put a serious crimp on boat time!)Here's the result...
    50454288577_712dc5beda_c.jpg50454290767_31989a6ed0_c.jpg As they say, added a little "bling". Adds a lot I think, in terms of looks as well as practicality. All that's left is the outer gunnel, then turnover day!

Ken

Lookin' slippery Ken. Great work, roll on turn over day.

Super!

Red face Re: Tammie Norrie comes to Coos Bay

That hull will just zip through the water - well done :-)

Mate, that looks so familiar. I reckon I know the feeling.
    DSCF1319.jpg

...and you were right Steve, that 1/2 round brass followed the bilge runner curve just fine! Gunnels up next.

Ken

Or, as Iain would say - gunwales............

I never know what to call them! Maybe I just need to get them installed so that I don't have to talk about them! Ha!

Wooden bits

Not a lot done on the boat this weekend. (Finished trim around 4 windows, caulking, you know, distractions from what really matters!) Did manage to rip the 8 pieces for the "wooden bits" Steve mentioned above. Four pieces, each piece scarfed from two pieces to be long enough. This being the first time I have ever used mahogany, I was a little surprised that virtually every piece I ripped almost immediately warped. Not too worried about it, since it will need to bend with the sheer anyway. But just out of curiosity, is this a common trait with mahogany?
    50502880443_8d5afa838c_c.jpgI had hoped to begin working on the "cradles" for holding the boat after she's turned, but that will have to wait till next weekend.

Ken, the mahogany I used was quite stable but then they were the floor boards and a few knees etc so bigger timbers, also "mahogany" seems to be a subjective term.

As for the cradle, all I did was place a few 2x4's as you lot say, across the building stand with blocks screwed down to them for the keel to sit within, I used 4 of these supports from memory. Each with one screw in either end. For stability I varied the technique depending on the job at hand but found a ratchet strap down to the stand either side at midships to be more than suitable as was a light batten clamped to the sheerstrake and screwed to the build stand when straps were not viable.

Hi Ken,
    The "wooden bits" need to both bend & twist so as long as the timber you are using will doing that without splintering noises you will be fine :-) I put some strips of old carpet on the frame I used to support Plockton when she was right side up. Discovered I had still manged to rub some paint off when I flipped her again the other day to apply the brass strips..........................but a splash of enamel and the rubbing has disappeared.
    Just back from 3 days walking and watching whales (and some of the locals - see photo) at Green Cape - brill!!!!!!!!!!

Regards Neil
    IMG_1970.jpg

Made good progress this weekend, including re-doing of my "how dumb can you be" mistake. I scarfed the outer gunwales, gunnels, what-ever the heck you call those things. Then came the brilliant part. Let's steam those things so they bend a little easier, just to be safe so they don't split. "News flash, this just in! Heat loosens epoxy!" Sheesh genius! So I steamed and clamped them separately, then glued them up as I glued them on the boat. No big deal, but that moment of panic when the joint failed. Then, after letting them cure for a couple days, pulled out a couple of forms. Pretty fun!
    50534606563_6bee2db9d1_c.jpg50534606573_ee4389a244_c.jpg50531059822_e45425e420_c.jpg50535198071_462214daf8_c.jpg 50534468888_52de541b51_c.jpg

Ken, what can I say?

Are you per chance related to a certain uncouth yellow gentleman from the town of Springfield?

​DOH!!!

Steve's comment say it all - that would never happen to me...........................

Perfection...must be an Aussie thing!

At last, recognition from a yank!

Ken, you clearly have not seen my boats :-)

Covid is really cramping my style. I had plans of a nice BBQ dinner, with a toast to celebrate turning the boat over. I am now completely ready...loose from the forms, cradles made and padded, all in order. But now I am in the midst of the newest lock-down, and don't want to ask people to put themselves at risk for something that might seem of little importance given the circumstances. (Not totally without merit, obviously!)We'll just have to see how things go, but as most of you know, there's plenty of other bits and pieces to work on in the interim. Here's where we sit now. 50612159596_8fbea4ee9e_w.jpg50612158806_4b7ebc90f1_w.jpg
    Last edited by KenStocker; 11-16-2020 at 11:53 PM.

That is SO nice, Ken! If we get to do a Wooden Boats at Toledo next year will you be bringing her up?

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh MacD View Post
    That is SO nice, Ken! If we get to do a Wooden Boats at Toledo next year will you be bringing her up?
    Thanks Hugh, appreciate the kind words. Nothing I would love more than to come to Toledo next year. It'll largely depend on timing. Would I be done? Just not sure. But possibly I could come up without having her rigged to sail, just to get her in the water. But realistically knowing my pace, I don't think I'll be quite ready. So possibly the year after. Three of my grandkids are in White Salmon WA, across the Columbia from Hood River, and I think they would have a ball getting to see all of the going's on. Time will tell, but I will most definitely keep it in mind!

Ken

Ken,
    Have you made the rudder and centreboard? Threy will keep you busy if you are looking for something to do, and if you've made the rudder you HAVE to finish the boat !
    We've just had some days of 38 degrees - fortunately today was 25+ so we played golf.

Regards Neil

No Neil, I have not. I need to start thinking in that direction. But I think I am going to work on the spacing blocks that will go between the inner and outer gunnels. Trying to decide how carried away I want to get. I've seen them cut square. I've seen them drilled, then cut to leave a "C" shape on each end of the block. I've seen them cut square and, once glued in place, each gap rounded over with a 1/4 round router bit. I am leaning towards the last option. But in any case I will need a bunch of those cut and sanded.

I also want to make some blocks, cleats, and belaying pins out of walnut. So there is no lack of things to keep me busy. Just want to see a boat upright!

Ken

Ken, I went through the same dilemma and ended up just cutting the block ends square. I was a bit over epoxy work at that point in fairness and just wanted to get them on.
    Another way I've seen is to just use a half round file at a slight angle to the top of the blocks to create a half ovoid relief at either end of the block, this inspires the illusion that there is more curving going on that there really is.

A friend of mine set up a jig on his drillpress and "cut" his spacer blocks using a Forstner bit to get the rounded ends. Worked pretty slick and was almost as fast as using a chopsaw.

While the rounded ends do look good, if you're going for the look of the tops of the frames cut off, they would be square.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh MacD View Post
    A friend of mine set up a jig on his drillpress and "cut" his spacer blocks using a Forstner bit to get the rounded ends. Worked pretty slick and was almost as fast as using a chopsaw.
    That's what I was thinking of, just had a hard time describing it. Gives the look I want without much more work. Steve's idea above would work, but a little more labor with work done by hand.

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by timo4352 View Post
    While the rounded ends do look good, if you're going for the look of the tops of the frames cut off, they would be square.
    Never thought of what they may have been intended to simulate. Something else to consider.

Ken

https://www.clcboats.com/life-of-boa...ood_boats.html

Hi Ken,
    Check out the link, it may give you a few new ideas.
    Cheers,
    Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1902 View Post
    https://www.clcboats.com/life-of-boa...ood_boats.html

Hi Ken,
    Check out the link, it may give you a few new ideas.
    Cheers,
    Mike.
    Thanks for the link Mike, some good pics and info there.

Ken