Thread: Plans or kit for racing shell (like Pocock Classic in WB #198, but for mortals)

Lightbulb Plans or kit for racing shell (like Pocock Classic in WB #198, but for mortals)

Hi All,

I am a recreational sculler who races occasionally, and I've built some strip-planked kayaks. I would like to try building a 1-person single racing shell. I've found a few plans online, including the Kingfisher from Graeme King, the Cambridge Racer from Angus Boats, and the Oxford Shell from CLC. However, all of these designs are for a training-level or open-water shell, rather than a true racing single. I read about the Pocock Classic project (http://www.pocockclassic.org/project.html, also described in Wooden Boat issue #198). That project is exactly the kind I'd like to work on, but it uses steam-bending techniques that are beyond my skill level. I did see one thread on a blog that mentioned expanding the plans at the back of Darryl Strickler's book "Rowable Classics", but I'm not sure how they did that or how it turned out. That thread is here: http://rowingforpleasure.blogspot.co...l-in-wood.html.

I was wondering if anyone knows of publicly available plans or kits for a racing shell, either strip planked or plywood. I'd love to find something similar to the Kingfisher, Oxford, or Cambridge designs I mentioned above, but slightly longer (25-26') and with a narrower beam (15-16"). I mentioned this on another Forum thread, and a few people gave helpful replies, but I decided it would be better to start a new thread in the Design Forum. The other thread was: http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...hell&p=5271832.

Default Re: Plans or kit for racing shell (like Pocock Classic in WB #198, but for mortals)

I have a copy of Uffa Fox's round bottom best boat plans from WB, wouldn't be hard to build that design strip planked

Default Re: Plans or kit for racing shell (like Pocock Classic in WB #198, but for mortals)

Quote Originally Posted by Skegemog View Post
    I have a copy of Uffa Fox's round bottom best boat plans from WB, wouldn't be hard to build that design strip planked
    Thanks for the reply! Do you know which WB issue I could find those plans in?

Quote Originally Posted by dlobron View Post
    Study plan only: http://www.woodenboatstore.com/product/150-040
    "... and the great shroud of the sea rolled on as it rolled five thousand years ago."

Quote Originally Posted by dlobron View Post
    I ordered them from Uffa Fox's estate http://www.uffafox.com/bestboat.htm

There was a 7 page article in Watercraft #97 (Jan/Feb 2013) on the amateur build of a Best Boat. The author used tortured plywood (1.5 mm) overlaid by a 1.5 mm veneer. It maybe helpful to buy the back issue.
    http://watercraft-magazine.com/wc_backissues.html

Nick

Thanks! I've ordered that back issue. I hadn't heard of the Best Boat before, but it sounds very similar to what I'm looking for!

I was looking for a sculling design for a while too. Not a long sleek racer like you seek, but in the family (18-ft because of my constraints not my wishes). They are few. I think you have flushed them out.

In a case like yours I might think to try stretching a design by putting a plug in the middle. However a racing shell is complicated because you want it to be very light but it needs enough strength for out of the water. The bending moments involved with carrying get even more crazy the longer the boat is.

I ended up buying plans for something I liked even though I didn’t care for the construction style—then used FreeShip to hack. Mine will have the same exterior shape but I can build it as I prefer.

p.s. http://www.woodenboat.com/search-bac...nboat-magazine , also "Forty Wooden Boats" and "Fifty Wooden Boats"

Thanks to all you guys who replied! I'm checking out these study plans and back issues now.

While you're at the planning stage, it's worth reading all you can about really lightweight boat construction I've raced kayaks at 8kg (sucessfully) and tried boats which were underbuilt at 6.5Kg - it can be a game of thin margins.

Really good article by "BoatMik" of this parish.
    http://www.storerboatplans.com/wp/bo...d-12lbs-5-5kg/
    Someday, I'm going to settle down and be a grumpy old man.

Quote Originally Posted by rbgarr View Post
    I believe the reason WB only offers study plans is that there were/are problems with either the boat, the plan or both. It would be worthwhile to find someone that's had success with the design before proceeding. The plans are cheap. Materials and time are not.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiley Baggins View Post
    I believe the reason WB only offers study plans is that there were/are problems with either the boat, the plan or both. It would be worthwhile to find someone that's had success with the design before proceeding. The plans are cheap. Materials and time are not.
    I rather suspect that the estate is handling Best Boat. http://www.uffafox.com/bestboat.htm, and it would be worth checking out the Water Craft issue in #6, which the OP is doing.
    Ben Fuller
    Ran Tan, Liten Kuhling, Tipsy, Tippy, Josef W., Merry Mouth, Imp, Macavity, Look Far, Flash and a quiver of other 'yaks.
    "Bound fast is boatless man."

What's your time frame? I'm going to get back to my scull design this summer, plans available after that (assuming testing goes well).

The thread: http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthread.php?201195-Rowing-shell-for-homebuilders&highlight=
    Hmm, not sure what happened to all the photos there.
    Last edited by DGentry; 06-28-2017 at 03:13 PM.

Oh wow, that is gorgeous! My time frame is pretty flexible. My goal for this summer is to build a 30-foot lean-to along the fence in back of my yard, to use as a building and then a storage area for the boat. Thus, I probably won't start actual building until after the summer. I'd love to build your design, and the price you quoted in the other thread sounds very reasonable. I'm also corresponding with another gentleman who built a heavyweight 1x designed by Graeme King (similar to the Kingfisher design, but racing dimensions). I'll plan to check back on www.GentryCustomBoats.com later in the summer or early fall, and please update this thread too if you think of it. FWIW, I'd be looking for heavyweight dimensions, around 100kg/220lbs, but I suspect any design could be tweaked for rower size by adding or subtracting a bit of beam and length. I might need to purchase the wing rigger and sliding seat - I know Carl Douglas sells the latter.

There's always Paul Fisher's 20' skiff http://www.selway-fisher.com/Rowskiffs.htm .

20' THAMES SKIFF
    The Thames 20 rowing skiff is an elegant and very attractive skiff based upon a craft that we originally designed for a client who wanted a simple personal exercise craft which could be used on open inland waters. Construction uses the stitch and tape process with pre-shaped 4mm ply hull planks. These are marked, cut out and then stitched together along the chine seams with scrap copper wire. The seams are then epoxy filleted and when the epoxy has cured the wire stitches are removed allowing the inside of the seams to be glass taped without any bumps caused by leaving the stitches in place. The outside of the chine seams is then epoxy filled and cleaned off - so that no tape is used on the outside chines of the hull allowing a beautiful varnished finish to be applied if required. Although we have not done so, so far, we can produce the mould and building jig details for her to be strip planked in Cedar. LOA 20' (6.1m); Hull beam 26 1/2" (0.67m); Approx. weight depending upon materials and fit-out 70 lbs (32kg).

Nick

A while back I had the same problem. A mathematical researcher in australia had, at one point, put up offsets of shells in some free software that was available (and no longer seams to be). I grabbed the 105 Kg plans (mens HW single) and converted them to freeship (with some minor changes based on my preferences) and have that file, the dxf files, and pdf's of the stations that I used to build off of. No plans (interior structure, etc...) and I got some measurements about 1 inch off in the cockpit (I like a big cockpit) but the boat rows wonderfully other than the fact that I'm too heavy for it right now. I'm more than willing to share what I have. I used bookmatched 2.3mm WRC, 1/4 birch plywood for the rail area, dacron with epoxy and fiberglass on top of that for the decking (sooooo glad I did after "someone" (me) dropped a hatchet oar on the deck and it bounced right off), a nylon fin, and the rest of the parts from WinTech. It's got a 10.75 beam at waterline (so, narrow) and is just about 26'9" long.

Last edited by noobrower; 07-02-2017 at 09:46 PM.

Wow, that looks like a nice boat! I'd love to see all those files, and the ones of the building stations in particular. The 105kg size would be perfect for me- I weight around 210-220lbs, or 100kg.

I'm still at the very early stages, but I'll get back to you when ready! My first step is constructing a shed in which to build- that's my summer research project.

Steve Chapin in Port Townsend has the original plans and jigs for building the Pokok shells. We have an avid group here that skulls year-round in singles, twos, fours and eights. The boats are new but strickily Pokoks that Steve builds. They are stunning boats!
    Jay

I read about Steve in WB 198 - those shells sound amazing. I think his steam-bending method is beyond what I can personally do, but I think he's got the gold standard.