Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Redwing goes north, take two

Default Re: Redwing goes north, take two

A graving piece is a bit like a scarf. Just a new bit of wood let into a plank or whatever, where a knot or a bit of rot or whatever has been cut out.

photos!!!
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

I don't know what Hartley recommends. When I grave in new bits of plywood, I use the router to rebate the edges of the hole by half their thickness and do the same to the new bit. A half-lap joint? This is at the upper to extreme limit of my joint-making ability but it's always seemed to work alright. As long as I then get it WATERPROOF!

Rick

And that's where epoxy is a very good thing.

You need a 'boat builders spokeshave' - a 100mm angle grinder with 40 grit paper. Using one of these and the classic 'trial fit' method together with thickened epoxy will have the scarfs done in no time .

Quote Originally Posted by Neil C View Post
    You need a 'boat builders spokeshave' - a 100mm angle grinder with 40 grit paper. Using one of these and the classic 'trial fit' method together with thickened epoxy will have the scarfs done in no time .
    I have one of those.
    Nearly had serious accident with the angle grinder this morning. I had a thin metal cutting disk in it and when I turned it on the disk flew apart. Half of it embedded in right shirt sleeve over my bicep, it broke the skin but that's all. Lucky. I'll take some photos tomorrow. I was flat chat today mentally and physically...it was the only option. I don't know if they hire out chainsaws here.
    My take is that if you poke someone with a sharp stick they'll get annoyed, if you smile and shake their hand they will be your friends.

John Welsford

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    I don't know what Hartley recommends. When I grave in new bits of plywood, I use the router to rebate the edges of the hole by half their thickness and do the same to the new bit. A half-lap joint? This is at the upper to extreme limit of my joint-making ability but it's always seemed to work alright. As long as I then get it WATERPROOF!

Rick
    I like that idea, neater than mine.
    My take is that if you poke someone with a sharp stick they'll get annoyed, if you smile and shake their hand they will be your friends.

John Welsford

On the hard.

John Welsford

Chain saw seems a bit extreme.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Chain saw seems a bit extreme.
    Yeah well when you find the job is way worse than you thought ánd you only have a week and you have bugger all in the waĺlet it can get you down a bit. However sitting here I have developed a plan that shouldn't take more than a couple of sheets of extra ply.

John Welsford

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    Yeah well when you find the job is way worse than you thought ánd you only have a week and you have bugger all in the waĺlet it can get you down a bit. However sitting here I have developed a plan that shouldn't take more than a couple of sheets of extra ply.
    Go for it Gary.

Sent from my ZTE T610 using Tapatalk
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

She may look a bit piebald when she goes back in. Oh goodič, its raining but it is supposed to be scattered showers and clearing tomorrow.

John Welsford

Prioritise and go hard

Well I'm going to do a patch up job, take Kerry for a Moreton Bay sail then probably take her home to the farm. Do a proper job. She made up here so with a bit of work she will make it back.

John Welsford

The issue becomes one of balancing yard costs versus transport costs and the drama of road trip with the setup hassle. I would steer towards the focus of being at the yard. It makes you work.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

I'd rather look back at my life and say "I can't believe I did that" instead of being there saying "I wish I'd done that"

Quote Originally Posted by The Bigfella View Post
    The issue becomes one of balancing yard costs versus transport costs and the drama of road trip with the setup hassle. I would steer towards the focus of being at the yard. It makes you work.
    I tend to agree - I’d be inclined to make the most of the single haul out and the facilities around you Gary. Or are you thinking more like a 12 month - 2 year type proper job rebuild (that may stretch on .......and on........and on.......????....)
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Need some sort of a basic cradle to get her on and off a tilt tray and you are good to go.

It's going to be a rushed job at the yard. The boat really needs a new deck, sheathed. I'd take it home and do it properly. Patch up now for your cruise, lift out for home when you get back to the Tweed.

I agree with Ian and Greg - I just think the work required is more extensive than they might realise.

Rick

Well what was a stressful morning has turned out okay. The port quarter transom is repaired and the port quarter topside will be planked tomorrow morning. There's a 800mm x 600mm section of decking to do and a section of side deck. The starboard quarter topside has been patched and if I have time I will repair it. A friend is coming to help me tomorrow for a couple of days which will help. Main areas of concern are gunwales and topside planking from the chain plates forward for about 1200mm. So not a huge job. I'm fine once I work out how to tackle the problem, it's seeing the answer that gives me sleep deprivation. I took photos today but with the phone, should have used the iPad. I'll see if I can post a few. Anyway when you eliminate the financially impossible it narrows the options and focuses the mind.

John Welsford

Rick, David is good to talk to, really helps sort out what to do. What's his wife's name, I keep forgetting. Then again I've met so many people here all the names are a blur.

John Welsford

Chris.

Rick

Ta.

John Welsford

Okay I have friend helping for few days, Redwing is basically under going an extensive rebiuld. This is what a horror movie looks like.

John Welsford

John Welsford

Good to hear you reached Coomera and are hauled out,trust the damage is not to widespread.
    I will be heading up Brisbane Rd to drop of my staysail next week if you need me to pick up anything.

Wow, that's not for the faint hearted!

Crikey Gary, but it's good you have taken the opportunity now.

I think your top sides look like my deck will look sometime soon. That little bit of rot in ply, which you explore, and explore, and keep exploring until you get to good wood, and then go a bit further just to be sure. You quickly find that there's not much point spending a lot,of time nibbling around the edges. Get stuck in, rip out the old stuff. It's just as easy to fit in a new big piece as a small one, maybe even easier. I wonder at the two patches on the stbd side, just as easy to remove that remaining bit in the centre?

It does look like a big job Gary but you won’t regret doing it now.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

I think it's only temporary patching for now, isn't it Gary?

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    I think it's only temporary patching for now, isn't it Gary?

Rick
    No rick this a serious repair and only being done once. Beam shelves are totally shot both sides and we've started put the new on the starboard side. Back to work.

John Welsford

Right! Well, good luck with it - hope it goes well!

Rick

I'll proababy out of the water a couple days extra, it's only $45 a day. So as it's my birthday next Thursday I've asked my kids for a bit of cash instead of presents this year.

John Welsford

$45 pd for those facilities is really good! Make sure you sheathe that deck and use top quality ply Gary or you'll be doing it all again too soon, even if it takes a bit longer.

Rick

You're doing much more than I expected.