Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 456 ... LastLast

Thread: Redwing goes north, take two

Default Re: Redwing goes north, take two

Gary just rang me, he's left Boatworks, he's afloat and spent the afternoon sailing. He's happy and headed for Moreton Bay tomorrow .
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Good news. He's always very happy on the water.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOVC0-gIFck

Have fun on your cruise Gary.

Hi folks well we've been at Tipplers for two days. Today was my first real down time and it was bliss. We have a keel bolt leak again. We bounced on a sandbank for a bit till I worked up how i could sail off. This was after leaving the Coomera river, there's a finger of shoal between to starboard laterals and i found it. Got off into deeper water and anchored as the sun was setting but it was pretty lumpy with the full fetch of the Boardwater. Both of us not happy about it...that's Kerry and I. so I figured a bit of night pilotage was the go and we would motor to Tipplers. Dropped anchor and next morning decided to move further in. Raised the anchor and put the outboard in reverse...where upon it promptly vanished. Anyway cut a long story short it was saved by its battery lead. Got it back onboard and spent most of yesterday cleaning the carby and getting water out of the cylinders. It works fine and I now know how to remove the carby. More to tell but not via phone. The sailing is excellent but heading home Sunday.
    My take is that if you poke someone with a sharp stick they'll get annoyed, if you smile and shake their hand they will be your friends.

John Welsford

Good to hear from you Gary and I really want to know why the outboard decided to leave !?
    Grateful Dead

Sounds like cruising! I think you deserved a better run than that Gary. I don't know if you have comprehensive insurance but it might be worth letting the insurer know, both of the grounding and the outboard. The outboard may develop electrical issues in a few days. And the leak after a pounding, well hopefully that's nothing too serious.

Bummer on dunking the motor Gary ,now there is some go pro footage you would not want to be reminded of. Hope the rest of your trip gets better.

That was interesting, I mention insurance in a post and all of a sudden my banner ads are for boat insurance. I thought the software just picked up on search terms and websites visited. Clearly not.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    That was interesting, I mention insurance in a post and all of a sudden my banner ads are for boat insurance. I thought the software just picked up on search terms and websites visited. Clearly not.
    Maybe it's time to talk about futtocks.

Good to get a couple of minor incidents out of the way Gary. Do you know how the keel bolt is leaking?

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Hwyl View Post
    Maybe it's time to talk about futtocks.
    If you want to attract ads for piles cream and swimwear.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Good to get a couple of minor incidents out of the way Gary. Do you know how the keel bolt is leaking?

Rick
    when I attached the keel I bogged the join with thickened epoxy instead of mastic. So much was happening this time I didn't drill and fill like I should have. Adrian suggested either sawdust or blackjack mastic as it sticks under water. Just dropped Kerry back at Boatworks. Having a coffee and I'll grab a shower and head back down and anchor off South Straddy for the night. Bit of a sail today but mostly motoring.
    My take is that if you poke someone with a sharp stick they'll get annoyed, if you smile and shake their hand they will be your friends.

John Welsford

After mentioning 'Warrnambool" in a post or two I am getting RE adds from the area.
    Frankly the spying, being automated or not, just makes the whole WB site seem tainted and dirty.

Oh well off for a shower and back to the high seas. Looks like the winds tomorrow are not in my favour for getting home...bloody SE winds around midday.

John Welsford

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    If you want to attract ads for piles cream and swimwear.

Rick
    Best not mention snotters, or the c**tlines securing any barrels you have in the hold.
    I looked at some info on a very obscure product development planning application, on my PC at work, which has never been used to look at farcebook. Lo and behold, ads for the same product turned up in my facebook feed on the tablet at home. The only sensible explanation I can think of is that Google and fb are in bed with each other, at some level.

Pete
    Don't underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers!

Or they read each other's mail. Very close.
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    Oh well off for a shower and back to the high seas. Looks like the winds tomorrow are not in my favour for getting home...bloody SE winds around midday.
    I thoughty you were going to spend a couple of weeks up in Moreton Bay!

Rick

I'm thinking the keel getting bashed, the outboard going for a swim, general exhaustion and Kerry heading home might have caused a review?

Not wanting to derail Gary’s thread, but on the topic of websites tuning in to your interests and spying on you, I’ve noticed a number of times after talking about a topic with someone when I go to Google it on the phone the first auto-prompt, after typing only couple of letters, will be what we’ve been talking about.....spooky.

For example, I was talking with someone who recommended Knobloch safety glasses and when I typed in “kn” it immediately auto-prompted the full word “knobloch” - not knife, or knight or anything like that which you might expect to be a more obvious and regularly used word. And I had never searched for knobloch glasses prior to that, so what tha...???
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

I'm thinking the keel getting bashed, the outboard going for a swim, general exhaustion and Kerry heading home might have caused a review?
    No, I think there's just a lot of work to be done .
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by Larks View Post
    Not wanting to derail Gary’s thread, but on the topic of websites tuning in to your interests and spying on you, I’ve noticed a number of times after talking about a topic with someone when I go to Google it on the phone the first auto-prompt, after typing only couple of letters, will be what we’ve been talking about.....spooky.

For example, I was talking with someone who recommended Knobloch safety glasses and when I typed in “kn” it immediately auto-prompted the full word “knobloch” - not knife, or knight or anything like that which you might expect to be a more obvious and regularly used word. And I had never searched for knobloch glasses prior to that, so what tha...???
    Quite scary really. Because of course there's really nothing to stop the technology getting into the wrong hands, or being misused by government agencies.

Every breath you take
    Every move you make
    Every bond you break
    Every step you take
    I'll be watching you
    Grateful Dead

I've started a thread in the bilge.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    Every breath you take
    Every move you make
    Every bond you break
    Every step you take
    I'll be watching you
    You should hear my son sing that. He does a cabaret show about love songs that aren't what they seem.

When you come off work
    By your car I'll lurk
    With a chloroformed rag, and a hessian bag
    I'll be watching you.

Sent from my ZTE T610 using Tapatalk
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

By The Police .
    Last edited by PeterSibley; 07-15-2017 at 06:50 AM.
    Grateful Dead

I always thought that song was spooky.

Rick

It was and is.
    Grateful Dead

No review Kerry had a great time and my confidence in want I can do is hitting a new high. Peter is right there is a lot to do. Bloody awful anchorage I'm glad I'm out of here in the morning. Got a couple of slightly ecstatic sailing videos.

John Welsford

Gary, could you please comment here .... http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...for-marine-use
    Grateful Dead

No review Kerry had a great time and my confidence in want I can do is hitting a new high. Peter is right there is a lot to do. Bloody awful anchorage I'm glad I'm out of here in the morning. Got a couple of slightly ecstatic sailing videos.
    Good to hear you are leaving tomorrow hopefully the Northerly will come through early.
    Speaking of awfull anchorages Curidgee is undoubtedly worse than bums bay on weekends.

Wind will be a bit light on but it's in the right direction. SSW to start with and I think I can sail it with a course around 145 m.

John Welsford

Gary, could you please comment here .... http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...for-marine-use
    Peter he's better off googling it I've not really delved into it.

John Welsford

Good to hear.

Peter he's better off googling it I've not really delved into it.
    Boron impregnation IIRC. For those horrible little boring beetles . I thought you investigated the idea Gary, my mistake.
    Grateful Dead

Boron impregnation IIRC. For those horrible little boring beetles . I thought you investigated the idea Gary, my mistake.
    True I did but it was a while back. Set sail for home at 8am. Should be back in Tweed around one.

John Welsford