Thread: asa thompson transom

Default asa thompson transom

Hello,
    I am looking at the plan sheet for the Asa Thompson skiff and have some questions about the transom layout. The scantlings say that the transom is of 5/8" oak with 7/8" cheeks and sides and 3/4" x 7/8" cap. Can anyone tell me what is meant by 7/8" cheeks and sides? I have ideas but the term cheeks is not one I have seen on plans before.
    Thanks for your help.
    Rich

Default Re: asa thompson transom

I am assuming that the sides are those battens in the corner between the transom and side planking. What I would call fashion pieces.
    The cap will go on the top edge of the transom, an odd design but hey.
    Dunno what they mean by cheeks.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Compass Project had an Asa Thompson Skiff that Hughman donated to them. If they still have it maybe Clint Chase could answer your question.

Could they mean the transom is to be beveled so as to make a beveled face 7/8" wide??? I am puzzled.

Cheeks, fashion pieces, and transom frame could all mean the same to me. I don't get 'cheeks and sides' - I actually think post #4 is plausible. My transom frame or 'cheek pieces' would be wider on the transom face than pictured in above drawing for traditional construction.

The glossary in Greg Rossel's book says cheeks are pieces fixed to the sides of a structure to add strength so that answers that question. I still am not sure what is meant by 7/8 inch sides but will go with idea of the beveled surface for now. Thanks for the replies.

My wild guess is that the 7/8" sides nothing more mysterious than side frames that are glued (or screwed) to the transom, and that the cheeks are bottom frames that are glued to the transom. My Lightning has both . . . they provide support for the very light and not-so-strong cedar transom. They also provide a lot more gluing surface for the planking. I would post a picture but I have given up on them on this site.