Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst ... 23413 ... LastLast

Thread: Assuming the Lotus Position

Default Re: I Chose Exotic

Quote Originally Posted by ron ll View Post
    Well, it was until I saw that car.
    Nah. Sounds like a perfect weekend. I know exactly where you are and what an early summer means in Seattle.
    One of the most enduring qualities of an old wooden boat is the smell it imparts to your clothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Hoppe View Post
    Wow. You just proved that i have no need for a silly boat.
    Once again you showed us how to live a well played life that includes super toys.
    Keep the boat.

This is real. We sold Rita because it didn't fit our lives anymore. But if I had the resources I would have kept her. Now it's been a few years, we've made some adjustments and I can see my way to do this. I couldn't have done that if we still had Rita or we were still living on a hill in Seattle. So you make choices. I don't regret selling Rita or downsizing. It was a choice.
    I...we....feel really lucky. It's so nice and such a matter of good fortune to have choices.

Get here and drive the thing in the hills!
    Last edited by Lew Barrett; 06-24-2017 at 12:36 AM.
    One of the most enduring qualities of an old wooden boat is the smell it imparts to your clothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Lew Barrett View Post
    Keep the boat.

This is real. We sold Rita because it didn't fit our lives anymore. But if I had the resources I would have kept her. Now it's been a few years, we've made some adjustments and I can see my way to do this. I couldn't have done that if we still had Rita or we were still living on a hill in Seattle. So you make choices. I don't regret selling Rita or downsizing. It was a choice.
    I...we....feel really lucky. It's so nice and such a matter of good fortune to have choices.

Get here and drive the thing in the hills!
    This is the thing...we all have to continually reevaluate where we are. My life is completely different now.

Life is about rolling with the tide and living as fully as possible.

Jeff C

Excellent. Thought I'd have to put you on ignore if you'd bought the Chevvy.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

I'd rather look back at my life and say "I can't believe I did that" instead of being there saying "I wish I'd done that"

Quote Originally Posted by The Bigfella View Post

He could have gone for a quality BMW...

Jeff C

+1
    He was starting to scare me with that.

Well hell, Lew. What a great exhaust note. Will we see you as an extra in the next Fast & Furious flic? :-)
    Gerard>
    Everett, WA

Next election, vote against EVERY Republican, for EVERY office, at EVERY level. Be patriotic, save the country.

No! It was made in a foreign land that is not part of Europe. Anymore. Oh hell! Here it is.

This is the actual car, although I can't collect it for three weeks and haven't seen it in the metal myself. I'm calling for an EBS in Detroit to celebrate. Well, Paul is actually. The car is being held for me at Detroit's Lotus and Morgan dealership.

NB: It was very close to being a Corvette, but I walked on the wild side instead.
    Even when the UK eventually leaves the EU, I think we will still be part of Europe!

What a beautiful beast of a car. Fine tuned machine. . Watched your video link. Love the look and the sound.

Congratulations.
    Choose wisely -Treat kindly...

A secret to a good marriage is to have a quick mind and a slow mouth...

S/V ORCA 38' Herreshoff Ketch

That is a seriously nice ride. Congratulations.
    Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!

Nice car, enjoy. There's a 1969 Lotus Europa in my shed, belongs to my son rather than me sadly. Hell fun to drive, but nothing very civilised about it.

I thought the Vette was brilliant and said as much. The scales tipped towards it for weeks and I thought that was where I'd end up. It surprised me as I never held them in much esteem until I drove them. I think it's the bargain of the lot but the esthetics were harder to abide. I would have missed our conversations but could have been very happy with a Grand Sport. Strictly as a drive I preferred it to all the Porsches we sampled. The esthetics were harder to abide but the car was great fun. I preferred it to the 718 Cayman and the Vantage V8S and I'm still a fan.

Nothing I could justify felt like the Evora though. I briefly considered the McLaren 570 but then there's reality and the cost of ownership. My only question and it remains unanswered, is if a 997 Turbo might have suited me but I couldn't find one close enough to sample and a new one was like the 570 or NSX, outside my comfort level.

The Corvette has a substance, solidity and presence that are astounding but the You Tube personalities that hype them strike me as embarrassing to be seen with.
    Last edited by Lew Barrett; 06-24-2017 at 07:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mmd View Post
    Congrats, Lew; nice car. As as my friends in Newfoundland would say, Good on yer, b'y! Have fun...
    Thanks, Michael. I'll wring all the fun out of it I can before I pass it on to the next guy.

Thanks, Michael. I'll wring all the fun out of it I can before I pass it on to the next guy.
    do your daughters know yet?
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Nice car, enjoy. There's a 1969 Lotus Europa in my shed, belongs to my son rather than me sadly. Hell fun to drive, but nothing very civilised about it.
    Different proposition than the Europa even though the Europa is the spiritual ancestor.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    do your daughters know yet?
    Sammy does. She flipped. Last she knew it was going to be a Watkins Glen gray or Daytona blue Corvette. The other guys get a call today.

Guy?? I thought we'd had that 'talk'...

im gobsmacked- and hate to say what body parts I'd exchange for that (Grebes, not mine). But I showed it to my boss....she said 'I don't think so'. I dunno...maybe I can wear her down... there is precedent...
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

St. Paul, MN Mississippi River Milepost 840.2

Wow wow wow. I go away for a few days and look what happens.

Im so glad you picked the Evora. It clearly caught your eye, and your heart.

And green? It's absolutely perfect on that car.

I wanna go for a ride!

If I got into that thing, I would never get out without some help. I prefer a vehicle I climb into and slide out of. Even the wife's Terrain is a bit on the low side as far as I am concerned. Nice looking car.

Quote Originally Posted by bob winter View Post
    If I got into that thing, I would never get out without some help. I prefer a vehicle I climb into and slide out of. Even the wife's Terrain is a bit on the low side as far as I am concerned. Nice looking car.
    Couldn't get me out, either - but for a different reason. Have ta pry the wheel out of my cold, dead hands....

Performance is a touch 'inspiring'.
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

Lew

it is with some self interest I have watched you navigate the move and thoughts you have had over the last year. The move away from Washington and consideration of the life you have chosen to make afterward has been a good study in change. The car is part of this. It is looking to be for some serious anticipation and fun - as it should be.

Have you a serious conversation your motorcycle yet? It will not be happy.
    Be wary of your critics, at peace with your decisions, and work hard to be a better man.

A wonderful lightweight (in the best sense of the word) and an equally wonderful color!

The beauty isn't just skin deep, either:

It looks like it would not be cheap in the shop, of course.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Green is a very sound colour choice for a Lotus.You will have lots of fun with it.

Quote Originally Posted by George Jung View Post
    Guy?? I thought we'd had that 'talk'...
    But I showed it to my boss....she said 'I don't think so'.
    Just like bosses everywhere. It wasn't her idea so it's no go.

Quote Originally Posted by C. Ross View Post
    Wow wow wow. I go away for a few days and look what happens.

Im so glad you picked the Evora. It clearly caught your eye, and your heart.

And green? It's absolutely perfect on that car.

I wanna go for a ride!
    You know where to find it, and me!

Quote Originally Posted by bob winter View Post
    It's better than you think. If I can do it, so can a caveman.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Hoppe View Post
    Lew

it is with some self interest I have watched you navigate the move and thoughts you have had over the last year. The move away from Washington and consideration of the life you have chosen to make afterward has been a good study in change. The car is part of this. It is looking to be for some serious anticipation and fun - as it should be.

Have you a serious conversation your motorcycle yet? It will not be happy.
    The Ducati gets sidelined in the summer, but it's here for the duration. The Boxer Cup is sweating bullets though. You're on the "get to drive it when you get here" list.

Changes come hard but we have to adapt to the terrain. There's been a huge payback in rethinking our lives and acting using our experiences as guides. The spice is the adventure and the new opportunities that occur when you leave your comfort zone. I'm happy and under a lot less stress.

Quote Originally Posted by TomF View Post
    It looks like it would not be cheap in the shop, of course.
    Lotus parts are probably awful to contemplate. As I said to Lindy when I put down the money, "Let's not crash it." Because, most of the wearing parts are simply the best OEM products you can buy. Somewhat generic. The switch gear is, for an exotic, particularly cheap. So routine stuff is probably as reasonably priced as you can get in a car like this. But a windshield is gonna hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by John Meachen View Post
    Green is a very sound colour choice for a Lotus.You will have lots of fun with it.
    From now on, green is my colour!

Quote Originally Posted by Ross M View Post
    A wonderful lightweight (in the best sense of the word) and an equally wonderful color!

The beauty isn't just skin deep, either:

I was hoping you'd drop in! Thanks for the photos, Ross.

The 410 is a de-contented (for lightness) version of my car. Built on the same lines and extruded tub with the same motor and running gear. They claim another 10 HP for it as well.

Good news for Lotus owners came yesterday. Geely signed the papers (yesterday) and is now backing (and essentially owns) Lotus. Lotus' future is more secure now, although speculation about what will happen in Hethel is another issue for the factory workers. Mine will forever be a Hethel build. That might mean something in the future (or not) but I bought it to drive it, not to collect it.
    Last edited by Lew Barrett; 06-24-2017 at 05:24 PM.

Dang.

Good work.

Not that I really care in the least, except I was following along as you dreamed.
    Dream no more? No.
    Time to live the dream!

I hope the driving of that exquisite vehicle brings you all the joy it's builders intended (for, you only build such as that for the pure, driving, passionate love for automobiles some few posses), and that our mortal perceptions will afford.

Earnestly. Joy and beauty are all we get, and we must define those ourselves, even. Or figure them out, anyway.

I wish you many miles of joy. And mudflaps on every truck you get behind.

Peace,
    Robert

Thanks Rob. Draw it! Or doodle it as you wish.

Thanks Rob. Draw it! Or doodle it as you wish.
    If you ever visit A Mish, just mind not to turn your back to the car iffn he got that marker in his hand......
    Quote Originally Posted by George Jung View Post
    Don't under-estimate Jack. He's purty damned talented

I'd rub out the car and then rub out the criminal!

We can call this good right here but we'll be back because.....road trip!