Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Assuming the Lotus Position

Default Re: Assuming the Lotus Position

That is such a nice looking machine! I hope it proves to be as much fun to drive as it is to look at. Wow, that's nice!

EPIC THREAD been watching from Page 1 - Seriously sexy car and one of the great WBF threads well done everyone.

Why to go Lew, beautiful car
    This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

For the Amish. . .

Last edited by Old Dryfoot; 07-16-2017 at 11:20 PM.
    Nosce te ipsum

We just checked into the Bates Motel in Bardstown KY. A terrific day! I'll get back to you all after taking a shower.
    One of the most enduring qualities of an old wooden boat is the smell it imparts to your clothing.

There are cigarette burns and deep gauges on the tub. Should I be concerned?
    One of the most enduring qualities of an old wooden boat is the smell it imparts to your clothing.

I don't have my computer so I've cribbed Paul's iPad for these posts. He's got some pics of the bug spattered Lotus which now has 1000 miles on it and is now officially ready to be worked up to redline.

You are the most virtuous virtual friends a guy could have. Warmest thanks to all for sharing and adding to this moment.

All right now, we are going to need at least one photo of the car beside a lushly vegetated, snaky 2 lane.

Semi-snaky permissible if snaky not possible

St. Paul, MN Mississippi River Milepost 840.2

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    I just spent two hours behind the wheel of the Lotus. Dream machine.

Jealous bitches?
    You. Have. No. Idea.

Fantastic! Some of the best people in the Bilge too. So jealous, and so wish I could have made it.
    "Simple minds discuss people, Average minds discuss things, and Great minds discuss ideas".

It was a spectacular machine, but right now I can't sleep and wish Paul was here, lol.
    Pet photography, the degree you get when you fail aromatherapy - Duck D.

Quote Originally Posted by Lew Barrett View Post
    There are cigarette burns and deep gauges on the tub. Should I be concerned?
    Only if you paid in cash.

Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Bates Effing Motel.
    Only guests, we did survive the night at least. Now covfefe.

How cool is it that my spell checker recognizes covfefe?

They're not all going to fit.

P.s. I can only identify two people in that line-up.
    Someday, I'm going to settle down and be a grumpy old man.

Quote Originally Posted by P.I. Stazzer-Newt View Post

P.s. I can only identify two people in that line-up.
    Which two?

left to right: Paul, Kat, Dan McCosh, Donna McCosh, Lew Barrett, S/V Laura Ellen, Mrs. S/V Laura Allen (Allan and Jo)

Thanks
    Someday, I'm going to settle down and be a grumpy old man.

Today was the best. After we left the Bates, we had a chubbah-fying southern breakfast at Mammy's Kitchen in Bardstown. Bardstown is worth some discussion. Kentucky in general is worth talking about.

Let me start by saying (and I include myself in this), man, are we a fat country. We all know this. It's evident all the time everyday, but you really can't help but be struck anew by the depth of fatness when you're in a place like Bardstown. Even the relatively good looking people are fat as we discovered on our first stop, a tour of the Maker's Mark distillery. One benefit of traveling through the south is that no matter how fat you are, you will always find somebody who is much fatter. Usually, more than just one somebody. You get to feel better by comparison, so it can be great.

Bardstown oozes old town cuteness in the middle of pastoral splendor which is ruined for me mainly by aggressive mosquitos. I have no idea where you're supposed to sleep other than the Bates or a B&B that was at one time the county jail so you're on your own there. The best thing about the restaurants in town is that you always seem to have to walk through the bar to get the dining room. The town's establishments have the longest bourbon lists you've ever seen, in fact they are longer than you could possibly imagine. I'm not clear why Bardstown has chosen Stephen Foster as their hero, but the town has managed to associate itself with Foster and holds an annual music festival dedicated to him . I associate Foster's music with slavery and sentimentality about the old south, but for a certainty they've adopted him there. And that's Bardstown for you, or at least as far as we got into the place.

However, from there we drove to the Maker's Mark distillery., The roads were undulating and twisting, narrow two lane country affairs perfect for the car's strengths. I drove into the distillery and Paul drove out and it was the best driving of the trip. The car exists for that, it's hard to find flaw when you're driving roads such as those. Interestingly, they're much like the roads I've seen and imagine exist all around Hethel. The hardest part of this car, and for big guys like us is getting in and out which takes some twisting of its own. Once you're cocooned inside, it's quite comfortable. The AC worked fine in humid mid-summer southern heat which was a tremendous relief to me.

Paul can tell you about the distillery tour if he wants but if he doesn't, I'll pick up there.

This was a lot of fun and a lot of laughs. We all have different dreams and wants. Owning a very selfish high performance car has been a dream for me for almost as long as I can remember. Sometimes we get our wishes met and they don't meet expectations or it seems to come out differently than we imagined. How the Lotus works out in the long run remains to be seen, but these last four days have been priceless. I'm really grateful my life has allowed me to do this and that's the real blessing here, I hope you all have the opportunity to check off a big one for yourselves one day really soon. Just realizing I could do it has been the biggest thrill. That said, the reality has been a blast.
    Last edited by Lew Barrett; 07-17-2017 at 10:39 PM.

Today was the best. After we left the Bates, we had a chubbah-fying southern breakfast at Mammy's Kitchen in Bardstown. Bardstown is worth some discussion. Kentucky in general is worth talking about.

Let me start by saying (and I include myself in this), man, are we a fat country. We all know this. It's evident all the time everyday, but you really can't help but be struck anew by the depth of fatness when you're in a place like Bardstown. Even the relatively good looking people are fat as we discovered on our first stop, a tour of the Maker's Mark distillery. One benefit of traveling through the south is that no matter how fat you are, you will always find somebody who is much fatter. Usually, more than just one somebody. You get to feel better by comparison, so it can be great.

Bardstown oozes old town cuteness in the middle of pastoral splendor which is ruined for me mainly by aggressive mosquitos. I have no idea where you're supposed to sleep other than the Bates or a B&B that was at one time the county jail so you're on your own there. The best thing about the restaurants in town is that you always seem to have to walk through the bar to get the dining room. The town's establishments have the longest bourbon lists you've ever seen, in fact they are longer than you could possibly imagine. I'm not clear why Bardstown has chosen Stephen Foster as their hero, but the town has managed to associate itself with Foster and holds an annual music festival dedicated to him . I associate Foster's music with slavery and sentimentality about the old south, but for a certainty they've adopted him there. And that's Bardstown for you, or at least as far as we got into the place.

However, from there we drove to the Maker's Mark distillery., The roads were undulating and twisting, narrow two lane country affairs perfect for the car's strengths. I drove into the distillery and Paul drove out and it was the best driving of the trip. The car exists for that, it's hard to find flaw when you're driving roads such as those. Interestingly, they're much like the roads I've seen and imagine exist all around Hethel. The hardest part of this car, and for big guys like us is getting in and out which takes some twisting of its own. Once you're cocooned inside, it's quite comfortable. The AC worked fine in humid mid-summer southern heat which was a tremendous relief to me.

Paul can tell you about the distillery tour if he wants but if he doesn't, I'll pick up there.

This was a lot of fun and a lot of laughs. We all have different dreams and wants. Owning a very selfish high performance car has been a dream for me for almost as long as I can remember. Sometimes we get our wishes met and they don't meet expectations or it seems to come out differently than we imagined. How the Lotus works out in the long run remains to be seen, but these last four days have been priceless. I'm really grateful my life has allowed me to do this and that's the real blessing here, I hope you all have the opportunity to check off a big one for yourselves one day really soon. Just realizing I could do it has been the biggest thrill. That said, the reality has been a blast.
    Nice post Lew.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Dryfoot View Post
    ". . . two hours behind the wheel of the Lotus."

Still like push rods?
    Can't I like pushrods, dohc, desmos, pneumatic valve trains, wankels, turbines, hybrids, two strokes, electric, steam and fuel cell powered vehicles equally???

Pushrods forever!

Last edited by Paul Pless; 07-18-2017 at 06:15 AM.

I've done several distillery tours over many years and it was a great pleasure to introduce Lew to a bourbon distiller. We went to Maker's Mark, which is just so well done and such a pretty setting. And also at the end of a really great Kentucky two lane winding rural road.

Maker's has teamed with artist Dale Chihuly to add a few noteworthy glass installations to their facility. Here is a very cool one located in one of the rickhouses.

Well done Lew! Is a video out of the question?

I just spent two hours behind the wheel of the Lotus. Dream machine.

Jealous bitches?
    Too bloody busy to think about emotion. Seriously. I'm just catching up on this thread. Too. Busy.

How cool is it that my spell checker recognizes covfefe?
    I'm . not . sure . about . that .
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

Quote: "How cool is it that my spell checker recognizes covfefe? " - Paul Pless

If Trump can alter the definition of truth, spell-checkers don't stand a chance. Be afraid; be very afraid... <grin>
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

I've done several distillery tours over many years and it was a great pleasure to introduce Lew to a bourbon distiller. We went to Maker's Mark, which is just so well done and such a pretty setting. And also at the end of a really great Kentucky two lane winding rural road.

Maker's has teamed with artist Dale Chihuly to add a few noteworthy glass installations to their facility. Here is a very cool one located in one of the rickhouses.

Without me and jealous.
    Be wary of your critics, at peace with your decisions, and work hard to be a better man.

Can't I like pushrods, dohc, desmos, pneumatic valve trains, wankels, turbines, hybrids, two strokes, electric, steam and fuel cell powered vehicles equally???

Pushrods forever!

A most excellent answer!
    Nosce te ipsum

Today was the best...I'm really grateful my life has allowed me to do this and that's the real blessing here, I hope you all have the opportunity to check off a big one for yourselves one day really soon. Just realizing I could do it has been the biggest thrill. That said, the reality has been a blast.
    These kinds of days are what we all live for. So glad you had some good loving people around to enjoy the moments. And thank you for sharing this with us.
    Be wary of your critics, at peace with your decisions, and work hard to be a better man.

This last bit. This bit I like.

This is YOUR dream. It sure ain't mine, but, because of you, I've lived the dream, eh? I've become invested in the supercar dream. I've become inspired to pursue my own Dream a bit, but also entertained by the fulfillment of yours.
    What I mean is, you have lived The Dream, which we can all relate to, whether Our Dream is a car, or not. Some dream of cars, some airplanes, some motorbikes (I hear some idiots even dream of WOODEN boats, and there are some starry eyed saps who dream of BUILDING a boat from WOOD, of all things) some drones... Whatever.

You captured it, though, I think. The sweetness is partially in the dreaming, but also partly in the realizing. Once the dream has been realized, well... Who knows?
    But the adventure of The Dream is over, and now the car just becomes part of daily reality. It's not a Dreamcar any more. Now, it's just Your Car.

Thanks for dreaming, Yo. And living the dream. And sharing the dream.
    You are inspiring to certain of us, eh.

Peace,
    Robert

Quote Originally Posted by amish rob View Post
    This last bit. This bit I like.

This is YOUR dream. It sure ain't mine, but, because of you, I've lived the dream, eh? I've become invested in the supercar dream. I've become inspired to pursue my own Dream a bit, but also entertained by the fulfillment of yours.
    What I mean is, you have lived The Dream, which we can all relate to, whether Our Dream is a car, or not. Some dream of cars, some airplanes, some motorbikes (I hear some idiots even dream of WOODEN boats, and there are some starry eyed saps who dream of BUILDING a boat from WOOD, of all things) some drones... Whatever.

You captured it, though, I think. The sweetness is partially in the dreaming, but also partly in the realizing. Once the dream has been realized, well... Who knows?
    But the adventure of The Dream is over, and now the car just becomes part of daily reality. It's not a Dreamcar any more. Now, it's just Your Car.

Thanks for dreaming, Yo. And living the dream. And sharing the dream.
    You are inspiring to certain of us, eh.

Peace,
    Robert
    I think that it is less about materialism here in a life well played. It is a culmination of a series of choices that Lew has made that brought him to this point. While it is true that this Lotus is just a car when he sees it in the drive way, it has a meaning that goes beyond that. I really like the fact that one can connect a special object to an arrived personal perspective and share the joy of achievement with others. Cars, bikes, boats, planes and the other stuff we covet as we dream are just points along this life's journey. I look forward to the day I can rest my hand on the hood of this car and hear a few stories about stuff that happened along the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Hoppe View Post
    I think that it is less about materialism here in a life well played. It is a culmination of a series of choices that Lew has made that brought him to this point. While it is true that this Lotus is just a car when he sees it in the drive way, it has a meaning that goes beyond that. I really like the fact that one can connect a special object to an arrived personal perspective and share the joy of achievement with others. Cars, bikes, boats, planes and the other stuff we covet as we dream are just points along this life's journey. I look forward to the day I can rest my hand on the hood of this car and hear a few stories about stuff that happened along the way.
    Werd.

What I really look forward to is the next Dream, though. Dreams are what make life worth livng.

Peace,
    Robert

Ted, Rob, you're both excellent! And your names came up, fondly noted along with many others as Paul and I enjoyed this experience together. We're all connected because we chose to be.

Man.
    Bob and Ted's Excellent Adventure needs to happen. I just need to find a phone booth. Hehehe.

The hilarious part is, Ted really does resemble the character, as I do Bill. Dang. Wyld Stallyns ride!

It is pleasant to have this crazy place to share time with like minds. And unlike. I truly look forward to the day I can meet each of you. There are a few Rats that have become real friends, and I think it is amazing. There are a few Rats I owe tremendous debts of gratitude to. A generous, friendly bunch, for the most part. Even the ones who don't know they are.

The Imperial Tour is going to happen. Not as originally, laughingly planned, but the wheels are turning, so to speak.

Peace,
    Robert

P.S. Is the guy who did the glass work in the distillery the same who did the Bellagio (I think they had the glass flowers?) do you know?

Ted, Rob, you're both excellent! And your names came up, fondly noted along with many others as Paul and I enjoyed this experience together. We're all connected because we chose to be.
    Most Excellent!

Pushrods forever!

You don't like SOHC? What's wrong with you?
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

I'd rather look back at my life and say "I can't believe I did that" instead of being there saying "I wish I'd done that"