Thread: two notebooks in the shop for boat building

Default two notebooks in the shop for boat building

Why is it no one has never given the precise use of note books for building boats. One often discovers something while working on one part of the boat, that needs to be remembered for some adjacent piece that will not be done for months (or years). Keep a good notebook for that, and make it neat and precise.
    The second notebook is for the infinite amount of scribbling, calculations, sketching ideas, etc that are done while working.

Don't mix the two up.

Default Re: two notebooks in the shop for boat building

Everyone works a little bit different. I sketch on a whiteboard and then take photos to remember. As the kids say, trust the process.
    Quote Originally Posted by James McMullen View Post
    Yeadon is right, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Yeadon View Post
    Everyone works a little bit different. I sketch on a whiteboard and then take photos to remember. As the kids say, trust the process.
    where'd you learn and develop this?
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

If one tries to separate the right and left brain, both sides will be cheated.

I use one notebook. My brain is totally mixed up.

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    where'd you learn and develop this?
    I've been a copywriter and creative director for quite a while now. I work alongside strategists, designers, front end developers, so it makes sense for us to quickly iterate through potential plans with a whiteboard. The dry erase marker tends to shift hands a number of times, which helps with consensus. Anyways, once your plan is set you tend to take a photo and send it out to the group. (I always save my photographed sketches in Evernote.) It just became a habit of mine.

I bet lots of shops have whiteboards these days.
    Quote Originally Posted by James McMullen View Post
    Yeadon is right, of course.

OP question content: for woodworking projects I tend to sketch on paper (poorly, I learned with a carpenter's pencil), or on blue lined quad paper. I am also big on cut lists with rough and finished dimensions, and layout drawings for plywood; if I don't plan anything else I will make a cut list. I put material for ready shop access in a clear plastic sleeve so I can't get my grubby epoxy mitts all over it. With my SOF Whitehall I tried to make a log of work and time but that fell by the wayside -- along with posting on this forum -- when I realized I was having more fun working with materials than documenting. Call it performance anxiety. But I've only done relatively small projects.

Of course I'm not to be trusted, as once during a creative writing workshop at the school I excitedly scrawled all over he whiteboard during a brainstorming session -- in two or three colors of Sharpie. Back to the pencil for me...

Here's the future of whiteboards and phone camera photos: In her elementary school library my wife teaches with something called a 'Promethean' board, which is a huge digitized whiteboard that can draw on as well as project any material captured from a computer. And save an image of any part of the board needed. 7-year-olds use it. Quite magical.

By the way, I wish I'd kept a careful notebook, mostly of finish work where a recipe or schedule was just the right thing and I can't match it later. Someday....

Dan

My shop is a half hour from the house and 20 minutes from work so each visit is planned. I have two notebooks in the firsts, I mark the date and time of when I get there, log what I accomplish and time I start clean up. The other for 'doodles' where I sketch what I am thinking about, calculate cuts, visualize what I want to do, etc... I date the pages every once in a while so I can tie it back to the other log. I have a little over 500 hours into my project.

cell phone pics, notes in the margins of the plan sheets, yellow legal pad for scribbles/calculations & bits of blue tape w/ sharpie notations...

cell phone pics get downloaded at the end of the work day to the lap top for cataloging and perusing, in full screen mode, over a large glass of SWEET TEA...

i don't catch all the issues but this system sure helps this old man keep up w/ the procedings ;-)

sw
    "we are the people, our parents warned us about" (jb)

steve

"I make to-do lists... and then lose them."
    "It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so."

-Mark Twain

Sounds like a lot of people are waaayyy more tech oriented than I am. I use a collection of notebooks, #2 pencils carpenter's pencils and even still have some of the big, fat gradeschool "BIG MO" pencils. I'll sketch on graph paper, butcher paper, plywood...whatchagot. Admittedly a lot of my sketches end up in the woodstove, but they mostly have served their purpose.

A lot of boat building things are visual, I know some home builders uses time lapse camera to monitor their projects, and there are some time lapse boat building videos on youtube too.
    How about record some boat building process along with keeping of notes?

I myself take pictures of each steps on model building to make sure I get the right steps and to identify where I go wrong.

It's heading towards back to school time, you can find the detachable page spiral ring notebooks for dirt cheap - like 10/$1 dirt cheap shortly. But lots, make notes in them. Once a month (or a year), sort through every page, save the good stuff, toss the scrap.

White tile board, the smooth surface 4'X8' sheet makes a serviceable white board for cheap. Denatured alcohol will cut some permanent markers if you foul up. A piece of 1x4 with an angled groove wide enough to fit the edge of the white board makes a serviceable parking lot for pens and the eraser when glued to the edge.

Have FUN!
    O'

While notebooks are fine, I prefer to use to computer and pictures. Here's my wiring diagram which I did in PowerPoint. Perhaps a bit much, but it works for me.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

I did not even keep a log book of my sailing this past year.

Some of you are amazingly organized. While I usually have a plan and sketches I tend to stray and ad-lib often, with mixed results. I usually record my projects on the internet, the good stuff and the oopies. That way I can recall the building process and it can show others how I did something and also how not to.
    Steve B
    TraditionalSmallCraft.com
    Rivus 16' Melonseed

"If a man must be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." E. B. White

I have always been able to visualize in my head what I want to do, building a solo canoe or a 4 bedroom house, no notebooks. I use a scrap of paper to think out the design, throw it away and get to work. Drives people crazy, especially bankers when I took out construction loans.