Thread: Need knife handle refinish advise -- Jay Greer / Pipe fitter (?)

Default Need knife handle refinish advise -- Jay Greer / Pipe fitter (?)

I have a 40+ year old Rapala filet knife which has the original wood handle finish flaking off - I am
    looking for recommendations for removal of the finish and refinishing the handle.

Thank you

Rick

Default Re: Need knife handle refinish advise -- Jay Greer / Pipe fitter (?)

'Morning Jay. I don't know what kind of finish Rapala used, but you might want to contact Brad Jarvis at Thompson's Scandinavian Knife Supply...he may have some info on both what Rapala used and on traditional Scandinavian finishes.

I have half a dozen Rapala knives. They're made by Marttiini in Finland. The handles are Finnish birch and they are finished by being dunked in spar varnish, hung up by the blade tips and allowed to dry, creating the telltale drip on the rivet at the end of the handle. Removal of the old finish could be done with any stripper (or my wife did some with the dishwasher - not recommended) and new varnish or oil finishing (Watco Oil or similar) could be done. They're really great knives. I once cut a 2" wide roll of duct tape into two 1" wide rolls with a Rapala knife. I had a dealership for them and ended up stashing one in each of the cars and several in the kitchen.

Todd is correct. Also, I never use soap on my knives unless cutting chicken or other fowl. Hot water and a paper towel to wipe the blade dry is all I ever do.
    Jay

Jay, Todd, Hugh - thanks for the quick response and the great information -

Rick

For the wood handled knives I've made, the final finish is obviously dependent upon the wood. For my teak handles I use tung oil and sand it in using progressively finer paper. I usually am satisfied after 1000 grit depending on the knife. After I'm satisfied with the finish I wax them. For woods like desert iron wood, no oil or wax. For woods that are less hearty, I either use the tung and wax treatment or tru oil. Tru oil is frequently used on gun stocks and I like it best for knives that see field use. It is too thick I believe so I thin it about 30% with mineral spirits.

BKay, thanks for the info - I was not aware of Tru-oil before, It is something I will have to try

Rick