Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 91819

Thread: Wood - Plywood - Epoxy bond, re-building my ketch Tonga

Default Re: Wood - Plywood - Epoxy bond, re-building my ketch Tonga

Whow Phil, that's awesome, congratulations, well done!!! And, as far as I can see in these photos, your deckbeams and everything looks sound and healthy. Great, I'm really happy for you! Please, if there is something I might be of any use, ask! I'm more than happy if I can help you!
    fair winds, Dody

"They did not know it was impossible so they did it" - Mark Twain, my own project: http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...h-Tonga/page12

Thanks Dody, yes the deck beams are all good. Just for comparison, my boat is 50 feet, 20 tonnes. The original deck was 2 layers of 9 mm ply plus a layer of about 10 mm teak. I'm going with 2x 9 mm ply plus a layer of glass in epoxy.

Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Phil Y; 02-10-2019 at 10:19 PM.

Yes, let's compare: Tonga is 48 feet and 22 Tonnes. The original deck was a bottom-layer of 9 mm, then varying and at the time of taking the deck out sometimes indefinable thicknesses getting up to 30 mm altogether and 4 mm of Fibreglass (Polyester!) on top of that. My new deck is a bottom-layer of 12 mm screwed to the deckbeams and beamshelf, then 3 layers of 6 mm Epoxy-Filler-glued (= 30 mm), and I want to go for 2 layers of bidiagonal glass with Epoxy on top of that.

The spacing of your deckbeams look in the photos quite similar to Tonga's, around 50 cm?

When I was working out how thick to go with my deck someone mentioned as a rule of thumb that there should be no flexing when one walks on it. Then, when I started laying my deck, I noticed a huge difference with every additional layer. Now, with 30 mm, it feels rock-solid under my bare feet when I jump on it (62 KG).

Concerning your deck, I think I would try to stay in the same structural scheme strength-wise. These 10 mm of teak were also doing something, and I'm not sure how much Fibreglass with Epoxy one needs to use to replace 10 mm of teak.
    fair winds, Dody

"They did not know it was impossible so they did it" - Mark Twain, my own project: http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...h-Tonga/page12

Phil, something else: I remember in the Tasman Seabird thread you were asking how to avoid gaps between layers, something you had noticed when taking part of your deck off. At the time I didn't see an answer and I was wondering about it for quite a while.

The same thing happened to me (or I think it happened) where my deck has the most curvature in all directions. I've always made templates for every single sheet of ply, and always put it in place to check before mixing up anything. And I always try to use as close to a whole sheet as possible. At this particular spot, when placing the template on top of the sheet to mark where to cut I noticed a curve on the forward and aft side of my template, meaning I had to cut there as well. It puzzled me at the time and, I don't know why, thought it was a mistake I had made with my template and ingnored it. When I put the sheet in place to check, I didn't get it to fit as they used to. At the time my little crane had broken down, a lot of wind and I was in a bit of a hurry coz 2 people were meant to come over in a bit to help me laminate the sheet in. I left things as they were with the sheet and we laminated it in, making sure to put all our weights on top to get the sheet down properly. But still, I'm not sure it really went alright. Hope that helps!
    fair winds, Dody

My beams are 42cm mostly, some a bit closer. I'll see how 18 mm plus glass feels.

The ply seems to be sitting down nicely. Except one sheet where I forgot to screw the edge down! Had to cut a bit out and start over there.

Last edited by Phil Y; 02-11-2019 at 03:43 PM.

Looking good Phil! Have you got more pictures? And did you paint/varnish/whatever the bottom-surface of the ply, the one that actually is the ceiling? And how about joining the sheets, do you do that on the deckbeams like me, or are you joining them with buttblocks?
    Last edited by Dody; 02-12-2019 at 04:50 AM.
    fair winds, Dody

50' Phil! No wonder you're so cranky about the teak veneer!

There are quite a few pictures in the Antipodean boats thread. I've put the joins over the deck beamsand staggered. So bottom join on one beam, top join on the next. Fore and aft joins are unsupported but lapped.

Quote Originally Posted by Aquinian View Post
    50' Phil! No wonder you're so cranky about the teak veneer!
    Yeah there's quite a lot of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dody View Post
    Looking good Phil! Have you got more pictures? And did you paint/varnish/whatever the bottom-surface of the ply, the one that actually is the ceiling? And how about joining the sheets, do you do that on the deckbeams like me, or are you joining them with buttblocks?
    I've epoxied the underside. It will be painted later. I'd also like to put some sort of insulation under there. No idea what.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    I've epoxied the underside. It will be painted later. I'd also like to put some sort of insulation under there. No idea what.
    Ay, good point! If you ever come up with a solution for insulation, please, please let me know! I haven't really dug into the subject yet, only scratched a bit on the surface. I do want to insulate the hull and the deck. There is heaps of solutions for steel-boats, but not sure how suitable any of them is for wooden boats? At the moment I'm kind of slightly leanin towards Cork. It can be had in sheets in a variety of thicknesses. But, ideal solution???
    fair winds, Dody